Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

What are your thoughts on the injured Taj Hotton Coona?
Where is he likely to be picked?
How long is a piece of string? He was shaping up brilliantly. If he maintained form would have gone easily top 10. I am sure ACL’s have “degrees”, the prognosis will be all important.

Could still go first round, but suspect might slide considerably. His brother was a high pick and has struggled to get on the park at the Saints, so may have some “loading”.

If the bid on Ben is after our first pick, I would not complain if we drafted Hotton. I believe we would manage his rehab well and give him every chance. He has significant x-factor based off a relatively small sample. We do not need instant impact from draftees. Think I would be howled down by the masses who are over our injury problems though.

Still think I would prefer a KPP if we get a free hit late in the first round to future proof our list though. Has to be a suitable one around the mark though.

How long is a piece of string? He was shaping up brilliantly. If he maintained form would have gone easily top 10. I am sure ACL’s have “degrees”, the prognosis will be all important.

Could still go first round, but suspect might slide considerably. His brother was a high pick and has struggled to get on the park at the Saints, so may have some “loading”.

If the bid on Ben is after our first pick, I would not complain if we drafted Hotton. I believe we would manage his rehab well and give him every chance. He has significant x-factor based off a relatively small sample. We do not need instant impact from draftees. Think I would be howled down by the masses who are over our injury problems though.

Still think I would prefer a KPP if we get a free hit late in the first round to future proof our list though. Has to be a suitable one around the mark though.

I really liked Brayden George in his draft year. Was sad when he did his knee. Terrible shame that he’s done it again.

We’ve got a good track record in helping players back from ACLs but if we’re looking at offloading Marchbank, Martin and/or Cuningham because of injury issues it’s hard to see us picking up someone coming off an ACL. (As much as Elijah is killing it coming off an ACL in his draft year.)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I really liked Brayden George in his draft year. Was sad when he did his knee. Terrible shame that he’s done it again.

We’ve got a good track record in helping players back from ACLs but if we’re looking at offloading Marchbank, Martin and/or Cuningham because of injury issues it’s hard to see us picking up someone coming off an ACL. (As much as Elijah is killing it coming off an ACL in his draft year.)

Kemp doing well coming off an acl he’s draft year too

Ben is not a “pretty” kick, but more effective than he is given credit for.

The issue with not a pretty kick is under AFL levels of pressure they break down. Under 18's you just have a little more time to dispose of the ball, AFL you get no such luxury.

The issue with not a pretty kick is under AFL levels of pressure they break down. Under 18's you just have a little more time to dispose of the ball, AFL you get no such luxury.
While I agree, it still doesn't mean he can't be effective at the next level though. I compared Ben to Rowbottom early in the year, others mentioned Dunkley... I think both are fairly accurate comparisons. As long as those players are surrounded with class users, the ability to be a physical and defensive beast can be utilized greatly in the right system.

That being said I would have serious doubts over Ben ever being more than a hack forward type unless he can fix his clunky action. It just doesn't allow for the speed and trajectory you need to consistently hit kicks at AFL level.

I do kind of miss Blacres' weekly bomb into the top deck of the Ponsford Stand....they were a thing of beauty.

While I agree, it still doesn't mean he can't be effective at the next level though. I compared Ben to Rowbottom early in the year, others mentioned Dunkley... I think both are fairly accurate comparisons. As long as those players are surrounded with class users, the ability to be a physical and defensive beast can be utilized greatly in the right system.

That being said I would have serious doubts over Ben ever being more than a hack forward type unless he can fix his clunky action. It just doesn't allow for the speed and trajectory you need to consistently hit kicks at AFL level.

I think Ben’s place at afl level is as a defensive midfielder. A type of rowbottom with a worse kick.

Ben looks like a very good runner, very determined and willing to scrap. Maybe Carltons new Ed Curnow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think Ben’s place at afl level is as a defensive midfielder. A type of rowbottom with a worse kick.

Ben looks like a very good runner, very determined and willing to scrap. Maybe Carltons new Ed Curnow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I'll be very keen to see how he progresses once he's in the AFL system. I think his football IQ and decision making is as good as anyone in the draft, I just think he plays a 'safe' style of footy as he knows lacing out targets by foot isn't his strong suit. I never watch his game and think 'oh **** Ben's got the footy' expecting a turnover as I'm confident he'll make the a good choice that he's capable of hitting safely... I just don't expect him to be drilling passes into the corridor to open up the angles. His options will unfortunately be restricted further with the speed of AFL footy though.

Will be keen to see whether his footy IQ and vision come into play more once he's had a few years in a professional environment refining his technique. Dow as an example made monumental strides with his technique while he was still with us, he just didn't read the play well and was a bit of a dumb footballer imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowbottom from memory was not nearly as clunky kicker as Ben.
Forgot the posters name that now does work mainly for Draft Central, but he was huge on Rowbottom and he seems to have been proven correct, the kid is a jet.

Was it Bangers?

I wouldn't draft anyone who couldn't kick irrespective of their surname....
If you aren’t getting a discount on them like the current FA system I can see why.
Plenty of gun players are poor/average kicks but they need to cover that by being elite in many more areas.
I do wonder if the two Campo boys would be looked at by us if they weren’t father sons.

Kicking skills are very important if you are playing as an outside mid.
Inside mids can get away with less quality as long as they have above average contest and handball skills.
We have example 1 in Cripps.
No reason Ben cannot adapt his game
at AFL level IMO.
And Cripps’ kicking now is light years better than it was about 10 years ago.

I really want us to take a tall with our first pick. However if taj hotton falls he would be my pick.
Loved what Hotton showed early in the year but always have my doubts on players who rely on their lateral movement to create separation when they do a knee. Elijah and Kemp have come good but its taken them quite a few years to seemingly get that power and confidence back in their bodies.

I'd prefer Berry or Travaglia at this stage, mainly due to the injury concern on Hotton.

If you aren’t getting a discount on them like the current FA system I can see why.
Plenty of gun players are poor/average kicks but they need to cover that by being elite in many more areas.
I do wonder if the two Campo boys would be looked at by us if they weren’t father sons.
It's a good question.
If we had immediate glaring list gaps - which we don't IMO - then I think you be wanting the club to select the best fit for our needs.
Our list position means we have the luxury of trade/free agency for the short term and utilising the draft for medium/longer term.
From what I've seen, the Campos have AFL-level attributes which could be very useful in the future and our list management position gives us a little bit of wriggle room in terms of who we draft.

I wouldn't draft anyone who couldn't kick irrespective of their surname....
To an extent.

The fact we have know we'll be getting these two for the best part of 3-4 years mean we are now over-analysing and potentially looking for any flaw. We can be way too caught up in looking at what they can't do rather than what they can. Have a look at the below article from Craig McRae when they picked up Ned Long who everyone was saying has serious kicking deficiencies.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/06...llowed-them-to-look-past-mid-season-draftees/
McRae was asked why Collingwood looked past that apparent shortfall and added that Collingwood’s philosophy meant that Long’s profile suited the way they like to play.
“Because we also see the other things he does,” McRae said.
“He's a really competitive guy, he’s strong on the ball, he can play multiple roles.

“And we don't value kicking maybe at the level of some other clubs.
“A prerequisite for us winning isn’t kicking efficiency. We don't need kicking efficiency to win games.
“So maybe we don't value that at the level of other teams.”

To an extent.

The fact we have know we'll be getting these two for the best part of 3-4 years mean we are now over-analysing and potentially looking for any flaw. We can be way too caught up in looking at what they can't do rather than what they can. Have a look at the below article from Craig McRae when they picked up Ned Long who everyone was saying has serious kicking deficiencies.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/06...llowed-them-to-look-past-mid-season-draftees/
I think I'm trying to view the Camporeale twins through the lens of what if they weren't father sons, would I be keen on them as footballers near our respective picks.

Now if we're talking getting the twins through a bundle of 3rd and 4th rounders...hell yeah, great value. If we're talking about giving up our first and second pick and needing to reduce our draft capital in 2025 because Laura Kane is incompetent....I'm not sure.

I agree with the idea of players offering more than just kicking. But without above average or elite kicking skills, they would need something pretty special and unique to thrive in an afl environment. No amount of pressure excuses horrible momentum killing turnovers in modern footy where precision and possession is key.

Thomas Sims kicked 3 goals for vic metro yesterday as a 199cm key forward. I’m keen to see more footage of him but his stats for the Knights read well.

I’m not convinced in Lemmey so far so Sims could be a nice understudy to McKay until he’s ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back