List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomlinson got 6 goals kicked on him on the weekend against a 20 year Max Gruzewski from GWS in the VFL game...

Sure, but recruiting Tomlinson would give me closure for the aborted 2015 press conference... :p

Until then, I guess this is adequate closure...

1722839334535.png

I mentioned Houston a couple of months ago and got fed to the lions.
Going alright though for a bloke that apparently can't offer us anything!
Footy fans are fickle, when we're winning everyone's a star.
When we're losing they're all scrubs & should be traded..

Ok Iā€™ve thought it, many have posted it, lets put it out there, why couldnā€™t we?

We supposedly offered Hayward a big deal, would they not be comparable? Even if he was slightly more, do we not have options to make room?

Tom turns 29 this year, so he wont command a huge trade price, we currently have pick 11, id suggest thatā€™s even slight overs for a 29 year old who has some slight injury concerns.
I like Barass, not sure how his back is traveling? I think the Hayward deal meant letting Martin/Owies go, which they still might. We don't have much coming through internally for those 2 , filling 1 hole by creating another. We already have plenty of experience without Martin though.

I like Barass, not sure how his back is traveling? I think the Hayward deal meant letting Martin/Owies go, which they still might. We don't have much coming through internally for those 2 , filling 1 hole by creating another. We already have plenty of experience without Martin though.

Still didnā€™t answer though, why couldnā€™t we target a player of Barass quality? Why is the price too high? I dont see the price being that high to be honest

Still didnā€™t answer though, why couldnā€™t we target a player of Barass quality? Why is the price too high? I dont see the price being that high to be honest

There is an absolute premium on key defenders including injury-prone ones. Half the league is looking for one.

So even if the trade capital isn't too costly to lure him across it still comes down to supply and demand.

Look at Tom Doedee for example. Coming off of two knee reconstructions Brisbane offered him enough salary to warrant an end-of-first-round compensation pick. He didn't even get onto the field for a senior game before reinjuring the knee.

We have a few areas needing improvement to have a chance at a premiership.

Our best chance to get a key defender - and it's just as risky given both age and injury history - might be to try and lure McGovern across if he wants to a) play with Mitch and b) wants an increased likelihood of premiership success than the Eagles will give him to close out his career. If there's a real desire to play with Mitch then that'll knock the supply and demand equation down.

Bailey Banfield anyone as an UFA to replace Cuninghamā€™s likely delisting at the end of the year? Think he would be an astute pick up.

He would fill a massive hole. The trade price would be too much for us I suspect. 2 first rounders easily.

Key defenders are extremely valuable as we saw last year with the McKay and Esava deals. Barras is much better than both of them. He will command $1m per season salary which we probably cannot afford. He is under contact so West Coast will rightly ask for two first round picks for him which we would probably be unwilling to give up. Other clubs are better placed to get the deal done.

If we are going to get a ready made key defender then Jeremy McGovern seems more gettable. He wonā€™t cost top dollar in terms of salary or trade assets to get him. He comes with risk but if he can be good for a couple years then that is what we need. We probably need to draft a a key defender like Oā€™Farrell as well so there is a succession plan.

Either way IMO itā€™s a massive fail by Austen that this has not been addressed sooner. Weā€™ve been short down back ever since Jones left. We really should have been in Ben McKayā€™s ear from that moment. We missed Gibcus to get Cerra, which we had to do to bolster the midfield. We then overlooked Busslinger for Hollands the year which I felt was a mistake at the time. Relying on Marchbank and Kemp was lunacy.

Last edited:
I mentioned Houston a couple of months ago and got fed to the lions.
Going alright though for a bloke that apparently can't offer us anything!
I agree he cant really offer us anything. Has great disposal, sets up a lot of play from HB, but not really a solid defender, which is what we need. We have Gov, Newy & Doc who all play the Houston role

Key defenders are extremely valuable as we saw last year with the McKay and Esava deals. Barras is much better than both of them. He will command $1m per season salary which we probably cannot afford. He is under contact so West Coast will rightly ask for two first round picks for him which we would probably be unwilling to give up. Other clubs are better placed to get the deal done.

If we are going to get a ready made key defender then Jeremy McGovern seems more gettable. He wonā€™t cost top dollar interns of salary of trade assets to get him. He comes with risk but if he can be good for a couple years then that is what we need. We probably need to draft a a key defender like Oā€™Farrell as well so there is a succession plan.

Either way IMO itā€™s a massive fail by Austen that this has not been addressed sooner. Weā€™ve been short down back ever since Jones left. We really should have been in Ben McKayā€™s ear from that moment. We missed Gibcus to get Cerra, which we had to do to bolster the midfield. We then overlooked Busslinger for Hollands the year which I felt was a mistake at the time. Relying on Marchbank and Kemp was lunacy.
Ben McKay would have made a MASSIVE difference to us and enabled Weiterbot to Play CHB Intercept.
No chance we could have afforded him, nor that he & Harry would play well together though...

Bailey Banfield anyone as an UFA to replace Cuninghamā€™s likely delisting at the end of the year? Think he would be an astute pick up.
He's come up a few times, more of a poor man's Jack Martin imo.

Decent overhead for a HFF, good runner and so far fairly fit with regards to injuries.

I'd take him in a heartbeat but he's from Broome and is very settled in the west.

Isaac Cumming is an unrestricted free agent. Can play a rebounding half back role or midfield. Has plenty of pace. What's not to like?

Isaac Cumming is an unrestricted free agent. Can play a rebounding half back role or midfield. Has plenty of pace. What's not to like?

I would run him through a medical process and proceed with caution.

He missed the first part of the season with a significant calf injury. Now he has a long-term (6 weeks) hamstring injury sustained in the VFL.

20 - 21 - 24 games the last three seasons so if his leg gets the tick there's been consistency prior to now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would run him through a medical process and proceed with caution.

He missed the first part of the season with a significant calf injury. Now he has a long-term (6 weeks) hamstring injury sustained in the VFL.

20 - 21 - 24 games the last three seasons so if his leg gets the tick there's been consistency prior to now.
fit right in, eh

There is an absolute premium on key defenders including injury-prone ones. Half the league is looking for one.

So even if the trade capital isn't too costly to lure him across it still comes down to supply and demand.

Look at Tom Doedee for example. Coming off of two knee reconstructions Brisbane offered him enough salary to warrant an end-of-first-round compensation pick. He didn't even get onto the field for a senior game before reinjuring the knee.

We have a few areas needing improvement to have a chance at a premiership.

Our best chance to get a key defender - and it's just as risky given both age and injury history - might be to try and lure McGovern across if he wants to a) play with Mitch and b) wants an increased likelihood of premiership success than the Eagles will give him to close out his career. If there's a real desire to play with Mitch then that'll knock the supply and demand equation down.

I actually think Jeremy is a realistic proposition, his salary is a hurdle but one the Eagles might want to get off the books, by reports heā€™s on $1M, now i think WC would be crazy to let both Barass and Gov go, but i think one will go.

For us to get Jeremy, WC would need to pay some of the contract and still we would want Gov to spread the deal over two years.

I get defenders are at a premium but you need to set terms before saying something is too expensive.

If we are going to get a ready made key defender then Jeremy McGovern seems more gettable. He wonā€™t cost top dollar in terms of salary or trade assets to get him. He comes with risk but if he can be good for a couple years then that is what we need. We probably need to draft a a key defender like Oā€™Farrell as well so there is a succession plan.

McGovern is on $1M by media reports and contracted.

As trade currency is at a premium and we have several areas we need to improve, being able to get any player in for free, that makes us better is a huge bonus.

I actually think Jeremy is a realistic proposition, his salary is a hurdle but one the Eagles might want to get off the books, by reports heā€™s on $1M, now i think WC would be crazy to let both Barass and Gov go, but i think one will go.

For us to get Jeremy, WC would need to pay some of the contract and still we would want Gov to spread the deal over two years.

I get defenders are at a premium but you need to set terms before saying something is too expensive.

I can't see it. Recruiting an injury prone over 30 player that will cost us good picks and a bit of money? It would limit other possible deals.

Imagine if he only played 10 games next year?

Wanted him instead of O'Shea, and mentioned him a number of times since

Role player, but is tough, durable, can play a number of roles

No brainer for me as a cheap replacement for our injury prone players

If, we are looking at J Gov, WC could pay a portion of his current contract to get a better pick

I actually dont see them pushing too hard for picks and think they will be happy to get the money off the books, unless youā€™re talking about paying a significant amount.

What would you be comfortable the club offering up for Gov?

I can't see it. Recruiting an injury prone over 30 player that will cost us good picks and a bit of money? It would limit other possible deals.

Imagine if he only played 10 games next year?

He has been really solid and durable this year and i wonder how a person would feel not having to get on a plane every second week.

I actually dont think he will cost much in picks at all but mostly just $$$$ and then it will depend if heā€™s happy to spread it over another year or so.

As youā€™ve mentioned, options are limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back