List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we try for Esava or Zerk-Thatcher?

To be fair on Austin, if he can ensure we have long term contracts signed for Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh, DeKoning & Weitering then his done a fair job.

He's completed 75% of his job.

Weitering & TDK - both out of contract next year are clearly the final priorities.

Konstanty if Martin is gone.
Garcia if Cunninham is gone.
Phillips if Carroll is gone.

Draft a KPD to replace, Durdin and Marchbank.

Haven't heard a peep about this Edwards kid everyone keeps mentioning so I doubt he's coming back to Vic. Especially at JMcgovens age and Barrass leaving.

Konstanty if Martin is gone.
Garcia if Cunninham is gone.
Phillips if Carroll is gone.

Draft a KPD to replace, Durdin and Marchbank.

Haven't heard a peep about this Edwards kid everyone keeps mentioning so I doubt he's coming back to Vic. Especially at JMcgovens age and Barrass leaving.

I’d look at:
Edwards (OOC) to replace Marchbank
Konstanty (OOC?) to replace Martin
Banfield (UFA) to replace Cuningham
Draft KPD to replace S. Durdin

I’m not sure who we could get to replace Carroll (I don’t rate Phillips) but we definitely need a mature, ready to go guy as our mid depth is lacking. Maybe Garcia.

Edwards would cost our 1st this year. Konstanty shouldn’t be too hard to get trade/capital wise if he became available. Banfield is an unrestricted free agent, is durable and applies good defensive pressure.

If Carroll goes we need a mature replacement. Outside of our core mids (Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra) we have no one else ready to go.
Campo twins, Wilson, and Binns all are either not ready to jump straight to top level or are untried. We’ve leaked a lot of our depth guys (Setterfield, Stocker, Dow, Fisher) and whilst this is to be expected as they wanted more opportunity, it’s actually hurt us especially with our continued injury woes.

Last edited:
The idea since the start of the rebuild has been sustained success, like Geelong, Collingwood & Sydney - if they're staying true to that then I'd imagine we will keep investing in the draft.

If they want to pivot and go all in for a flag, I wouldn't be against it.

No point being thereabouts forever, gotta win 1 (or 3) while you're good.
It's about our window and the age demographic. We have to go for it whilst our older players are still in their prime. Another couple of seasons and it starts to become harder with players getting on;

30+: Two
Nic Newman, Sam Docherty

27>29: 13
Adam Saad, Zac Williams, Mitch McGovern, Jack Martin, Patrick Cripps, Orazio Fantasia, Blake Acres, George Hewett, Marc Pittonet, Sam Durdin, Caleb Marchbank, Alex Cincotta, Charlie Curnow

I’d look at:
Edwards (OOC) to replace Marchbank
Konstanty (OOC?) to replace Martin
Banfield (UFA) to replace Cuningham
Draft KPD to replace S. Durdin

I’m not sure who we could get to replace Carroll (I don’t rate Phillips) but we definitely need a mature, ready to go guy as our mid depth is lacking. Maybe Garcia.

Edwards would cost our 1st this year. Konstanty shouldn’t be too hard to get trade/capital wise if he became available. Banfield is an unrestricted free agent, is durable and applies good defensive pressure.

If Carroll goes we need a mature replacement. Outside of our core mids (Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra) we have no one else ready to go.
Campo twins, Wilson, and Binns all are either not ready to jump straight to top level or are untried. We’ve leaked a lot of our depth guys (Setterfield, Stocker, Dow, Fisher) and whilst this is to be expected as they wanted more opportunity, it’s actually hurt us especially with our continued injury woes.
Again, Edwards won't be an option.

Yes Konstanty is OOC and would come cheap.

Banfield is an option but would depend on the dollars. No more than 500k imo. He's pretty much the same player as Elijah.

We also get back JSOS next year so that half forward/wing role isn't a necessity for me.

Yeh if Carroll goes we need a replacement. Garcia rolls through the midfield more often than not also. More mature ready to go option. Doubt he costs much also (OOC).

It's about our window and the age demographic. We have to go for it whilst our older players are still in their prime. Another couple of seasons;

Nic Newman, Sam Docherty

Adam Saad, Zac Williams, Mitch McGovern, Jack Martin, Patrick Cripps, Orazio Fantasia, Blake Acres, George Hewett, Marc Pittonet, Sam Durdin, Caleb Marchbank, Alex Cincotta, Charlie Curnow

Our prime years started this year, 2-3 left with this core, but we will add mature aged players

Love how people are trying to trade in exact like for likes but just because player A doesn’t work out doesn’t mean we need to directly replace them with a player of similar ilk.

Ps Konstanty isn’t the same as Martin and is actually short than all 3 of Owies, Motlop and Fogarty. I’d take him but definitely not a like for like with Martin imo

Again, Edwards won't be an option.

Yes Konstanty is OOC and would come cheap.

Banfield is an option but would depend on the dollars. No more than 500k imo. He's pretty much the same player as Elijah.

We also get back JSOS next year so that half forward/wing role isn't a necessity for me.

Yeh if Carroll goes we need a replacement. Garcia rolls through the midfield more often than not also. More mature ready to go option. Doubt he costs much also (OOC).

I don’t see why Edwards wouldn’t be an option. Yes he’s from WA but he wouldn’t be the first player to move, particularly to a team higher up the ladder. If Barrass moves on then WC would be more desperate to keep him but he is out of contract so if he requested a trade it would get done. At this stage, it’s a few of us on here speculating he’s a logical option for us to chase rather than a washed up guy like Tomlinson etc. Nothing more that that. Wishful thinking more than anything.

Banfield would allow Elijah more midfield minutes which is important for us as we tend to not rotate heavily through the middle and run our guys into the ground.

I’m in the camp of not being sold on JSOS and I don’t think Voss is either but technically yes he is another half forward opinion, albeit one who’s not overly agile or quick. He’s not a dynamic half forward, rather he’s a third tall type in my opinion.

I don’t mind Garcia, might be one of the better cheap, ready to go options out there.

Konstanty is a no brainer to chase if we can acquire him cheaply. I think there’d be a fair bit of demand for him though from Vic clubs.

It's about our window and the age demographic. We have to go for it whilst our older players are still in their prime. Another couple of seasons and it starts to become harder with players getting on;

Nic Newman, Sam Docherty

I agree, our window is now but it's not panic stations.

Past 2 Premiers have had at least 10 30+ yr olds playing on GF day. Maybe the 'peak' is getting later these days - damn kids mentally maturing later, sport science etc.

Love how people are trying to trade in exact like for likes but just because player A doesn’t work out doesn’t mean we need to directly replace them with a player of similar ilk.

Ps Konstanty isn’t the same as Martin and is actually short than all 3 of Owies, Motlop and Fogarty. I’d take him but definitely not a like for like with Martin imo

Like you said yourself, not every player has to be like for like. When players leave they need to be replaced. We’re throwing up names we should target based on contract status etc. Konstanty is a small forward, Martin is a half forward. They play very differently you are correct. Owies is also a chance to leave which definitely would open the spot and it would be smart list management to chase Konstanty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cerra is a name we should be looking to trade. Alarm bells ringing on the injury prone front. Hewett and Kennedy are others. The game has moved on from having too many slow immobile midfielders.

I said it last season, I'm going to say it again. It's our midfield that needs to go through a mini-rebuild. It's not the sort of midfield that teams are having success with. Midfields that have speed and apply elite pressure are.

Build it around Walsh and Cripps. But chase some high profile young mids.

See if we can get some picks for these 3 and see if there are any players around 22 or 23 years old who play in the middle, can run and tackle and might be looking to come home.

If we are going to be aggressive and fix the leg speed, pressure and injury issues, then this is how we start. These guys may have trade value.

McDonald is an absolute butcher. He'll be 32 next month. Barely an upgrade on Young

Howard's had multiple hamstring injuries over the last 12 months.

I like spitballing players but not these two I'm afraid.
McDonald is comfortably a better player than Lewis Young, at both ends of the ground.

Howard is also a clear upgrade.

We aren't getting an All-Aus standard player given our assets & available cap space, I think you may need to lower your expectations.

Konstanty is the one I'm hoping we're after. Looks a natural forward with speed and more than useful overhead. The type that would definitely complement our big boppers.

Hard to get a look in at the Swans with their smaller forwards, so may be looking at opportunities elsewhere....out of contract as well. We seem to have a pretty good trade relationship with the Swans, so they'd be easier to broker a deal with than Dodoro or ol' mate SOS.

Josh Schache repurposed as a KPD worth a look??

Cerra is a name we should be looking to trade. Alarm bells ringing on the injury prone front. Hewett and Kennedy are others. The game has moved on from having too many slow immobile midfielders.

I said it last season, I'm going to say it again. It's our midfield that needs to go through a mini-rebuild. It's not the sort of midfield that teams are having success with. Midfields that have speed and apply elite pressure are.

Build it around Walsh and Cripps. But chase some high profile young mids.

See if we can get some picks for these 3 and see if there are any players around 22 or 23 years old who play in the middle, can run and tackle and might be looking to come home.

If we are going to be aggressive and fix the leg speed, pressure and injury issues, then this is how we start. These guys may have trade value.
I never could understand why we went so hard for Cerra. He's a good mid, but the hype at the time was ridiculous.

Further to that, he offered no point of difference to what we had, although Kennedy was fairly inconsistent at the time, so maybe they were looking at Cerra as a replacement and offloading Kennedy. Kennedy however, has vastly improved and is now a lot more consistent. He also is a very good overhead mark and set shot - often playing the Mid/fwd role, so for this reason I think he's a keeper.

TBH I'm not sure we'd get a lot for Cerra now, given his severe hamstring issues, all before the age of 25.

I also think we need to put Walsh on a wing for at least a year before we ruin his body in the midfield.
Kennedy & Hewitt have been good support for Cripps, Hewitt has been very good this year IMHO despite being dropped and made sub. He's no elite mid, but he's very consistent and dependable.

Josh Schache repurposed as a KPD worth a look??
For a bag of peanuts and as long as he stays down back, I'm not opposed to the idea. His biggest issue is between the ears, but without the goal kicking pressure he may go OK. He's pretty good overhead. Anyone else tried him in defence?

For a bag of peanuts and as long as he stays down back, I'm not opposed to the idea. His biggest issue is between the ears, but without the goal kicking pressure he may go OK. He's pretty good overhead. Anyone else tried him in defence?
Yes and it wasn't great. He has no intensity as a footballer and doesn't attack the ball or the contest enough, at either end of the field.

Yes and it wasn't great. He has no intensity as a footballer and doesn't attack the ball or the contest enough, at either end of the field.
Fair enough, sounds like a no go then. We do need to get someone big and experienced in though, and even getting Young some intense one-on-one instruction with a champion like Matty Scarlett couldnt hurt.

A lot of good names mentioned and holes to fix. Can we fix some within especially with players who haven’t really cemented a spot yet?

Can HOK be a KPD? Has the size, skill and attitude
Kemp on a wing
Cowan as a big bodied mid
Motlop to HB like Rioli. Speed and skill
Lemmey as FF back up Ruck
Monahan as KPD. He’s a big boy
Wilson on ball in 2025
Ollie off HB. I like when he runs straight and can use the ball well
Jack to FB. Wouldn’t that be a sight 😎

Not saying they will work (just some ideas) but you never know and I have seen many players reinvigorate careers by changing spots

Also makes our list better when you can improve within.

Zac Williams Rory Lobbe or Liam Jones anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back