List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have plenty of coin

I wouldn't offer more than an early 2nd ( worth more than that), on the proviso we address a couple of list holes

It's a fallacy that we have a poor list, 2-3 would improve our list dramatically
We absolutely do not have a poor list.

We have a very, very good list.

We arguably have the most A grade / top end talent in the league.

When we were second and winning, all the players look good, and the list looks great. Lose a couple and everyone's weaknesses get magnified.

Yes we have a few holes, but every club in the comp has holes.

Is Sam Weideman an option?

Recruited before Harry as a CHF but never stood up.

Can he be tried as a KPD? Has the size and skill. At 27, can he mature and step up?

When we were second and winning, all the players look good, and the list looks great. Lose a couple and everyone's weaknesses get magnified.

We have an unbalanced list, lacking outside burst, run and carry. Poor list management of a talented list

Disagree. Said it all year. Get our best on the field and we look good and can beat anyone but then we fall away badly.

Losing Cerra & TDK on top of Jack & Docherty has highlighted this as has form/injuries to Walsh etc

Our list is unbalanced and lacks depth. IMO that’s a poor list

I never could understand why we went so hard for Cerra. He's a good mid, but the hype at the time was ridiculous.

Further to that, he offered no point of difference to what we had, although Kennedy was fairly inconsistent at the time, so maybe they were looking at Cerra as a replacement and offloading Kennedy. Kennedy however, has vastly improved and is now a lot more consistent. He also is a very good overhead mark and set shot - often playing the Mid/fwd role, so for this reason I think he's a keeper.

TBH I'm not sure we'd get a lot for Cerra now, given his severe hamstring issues, all before the age of 25.

I also think we need to put Walsh on a wing for at least a year before we ruin his body in the midfield.
Kennedy & Hewitt have been good support for Cripps, Hewitt has been very good this year IMHO despite being dropped and made sub. He's no elite mid, but he's very consistent and dependable.
Our midfield at the time was a banged up Cripps and a rising star in Walsh. Dow, SPS, Setterfield etc were all hopeless and Kennedy really only started making strides towards the end of 2021. If we didn't get Hewett and Cerra who knows what would have happened to our list, we may have bombed again and had players leave, Kennedy may not have come on as much as he has since the increased competition for spots... We'll never know. Was the right decision at the time and if Dow or SPS had have come along theres every chance we'd have a perfect midfield mix right now.

Imagine Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, SPS and Dow if the latter two had have fulfilled their potential... Anyway, they didn't and Kennedy did, so now we're left with an uneven balance of pace, ball winning and poor defensive pressure.

Cerra still our 3rd best mid when fit and firing for mine though, his hamstring concerns are significant now though which makes it very difficult to plan ahead re potentially moving one on to change up our mix.

Exactly, emotive list management

We had injuries back end of last year and 1st half of this year and we were getting the job done

Never as bad, never as good

12 weeks in the top 4 this season and only one week out of the top 8 (round 10), in a tightly contested season, and a great finish to 2023.

With the injuries along the way, that’s indicative of a strong list. Albeit with a few missing pieces. Which we should address in the off season. But no side has all the pieces.

I’m bullish. Blues are a buy.

Last edited:
With Martin all but certainly done, I’d be asking the question of Jack Lukosius. Would cost a late F1 imo but think we could get a lot out of him and he has a lot to offer.

Take our 2024 1st round pick to the draft
Trade our 2024 2nd to Sydney for Jacob Konstanty.
Trade our 2025 1st to GCS for Jack Lukosius and their 2024 3rd.
Trade our 2025 2nd to GWS for Conor Stone.
Pick up a key back from who knows where really???

If our cap permits, this off season seems the right time to go all in but if our 1st is top 10 I’d take that one pick to the draft as well as obviously picking up both Campo boys with late picks.

Is Sam Weideman an option?

Recruited before Harry as a CHF but never stood up.

Can he be tried as a KPD? Has the size and skill. At 27, can he mature and step up?
I remember being shattered when the Demons selected him in the ND ahead of us...and we got stuck with Harry :cool:.

He was an immense talent in the junior ranks, but could never convert that at AFL level.

I haven't followed him at all this year - I don't watch * games, let alone their VFL side. Uncontracted the end of the year, so will probably be delisted. Could be worth a rookie pick, but I'd be surprised.

TBH, I'd prefer to take a chance on Charlie McCartin. Looks like the Swans are also keen, so we may need to head 'em off at the pass before they pounce.

With Martin all but certainly done, I’d be asking the question of Jack Lukosius. Would cost a late F1 imo but think we could get a lot out of him and he has a lot to offer.

I'm sorry but that's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

He was a prodigious talent coming into the AFL but the knock is that he's soft and highly conditional.

We could do with his skill set but I believe it's time to move away from players with those criticisms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with what you're saying but also believe opposition coaches are nullifying our strengths and exposing our weaknesses.

If he passes a stringent medical and the money is right, I would not be against Haynes as a UFA.

There is a reason he has been in a backended payday of a million a year for the past two seasons. Past B&F (tied with Whitfield). He is behind perhaps the best trio/quartet of tall defenders in the game (Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg & Idun). There is no share not getting a game there. His seconds form is irrepressible.

I am well aware he is not a genuine KPD, but any available KPD we can get is arguably no better than we have. For mine we have to run with what we have and draft a quality kid (and a rookie project). Take the hit for a couple of years.

We may be pleasantly surprised. Kemp is not going to go backwards and for the most part has been adequate despite often being overfaced. McGovern is nearing his end and unlikely to play more than 70-80% of a season. Haynes brings experience and could co-exist with Weiters, Kemo and McGovern quite easily. With a quartet, it also allows for development and versatility of the group, particularly Kempy.

There are a handful of decent KPD options in this draft. From top 10 (probably 5) Trainor, through M.Whitlock, O’Farrell, maybe Tauru(don’t think he matches the current hype) and my personal favourite WA’s Clancy Dennis who may come cheaper with less hype than the boys from the Eastern seaboard. There are also a couple of predominantly key forwards in Shanahan and .Faull who I think can be excellent swingmen and have been deployed as such recently in clubland. I have a but if a watch on James Barrett as well, late birthday, may grow to key position height.

We need speed and connection, and we need a viable small forward option out of this draft too for mine. We need half back options in the near future as well, but the Campo boys double as that, as well as their midfield credentials.

The problem is that rookies aside, we will find it virtually impossible to add more than four players by a combination of draft and trade (we have to upgrade Boyd to keep him). I am desperately hoping Lucas Campo lasts to the rookie draft, but that may be impractical.

Yes please to Haynes. I know he's not a true KPD, but he's big enough and smart enough that if he has to roll onto a KPF for coverage then he can often work them out of position. Reads the play very well, takes intercept marks for fun, reliable by foot, comes from a good system...and as a free agent he costs us no picks.

I'd be happy to sacrifice a little bit of height for a smarter and more dependable player - a good defensive system can blunt a big KPF more consistently than an ordinary footballer who matches them for height.

If he passes a stringent medical and the money is right, I would not be against Haynes as a UFA.

There is a reason he has been in a backended payday of a million a year for the past two seasons. Past B&F (tied with Whitfield). He is behind perhaps the best trio/quartet of tall defenders in the game (Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg & Idun). There is no share not getting a game there. His seconds form is irrepressible.

I am well aware he is not a genuine KPD, but any available KPD we can get is arguably no better than we have. For mine we have to run with what we have and draft a quality kid (and a rookie project). Take the hit for a couple of years.

We may be pleasantly surprised. Kemp is not going to go backwards and for the most part has been adequate despite often being overfaced. McGovern is nearing his end and unlikely to play more than 70-80% of a season. Haynes brings experience and could co-exist with Weiters, Kemo and McGovern quite easily. With a quartet, it also allows for development and versatility of the group, particularly Kempy.

There are a handful of decent KPD options in this draft. From top 10 (probably 5) Trainor, through M.Whitlock, O’Farrell, maybe Tauru(don’t think he matches the current hype) and my personal favourite WA’s Clancy Dennis who may come cheaper with less hype than the boys from the Eastern seaboard. There are also a couple of predominantly key forwards in Shanahan and .Faull who I think can be excellent swingmen and have been deployed as such recently in clubland. I have a but if a watch on James Barrett as well, late birthday, may grow to key position height.

We need speed and connection, and we need a viable small forward option out of this draft too for mine. We need half back options in the near future as well, but the Campo boys double as that, as well as their midfield credentials.

The problem is that rookies aside, we will find it virtually impossible to add more than four players by a combination of draft and trade (we have to upgrade Boyd to keep him). I am desperately hoping Lucas Campo lasts to the rookie draft, but that may be impractical.

Let’s say we pick him up, does he player taller than what we have or is he stronger one on one, compared to Gov and Kemp? Forget height, is he enough of an upgrade on Kemp to warrant picking him up?

Haynes isn’t going to go to a team after sitting in the 2s, unless he is targeted to fill a senior role, if he’s an upgrade, then go for it, there’s not too many options.

I feel Kemp would be wasted in the 2s at this stage of his career and would end up with him looking elsewhere.

A few have expressed interest in Edwards from WC and whilst enjoying a coffee at work I’ve seen an article in the Age regarding him unlocking moves for Baker and the trading of Barass.

For anyone who follows things more closely, is he holding off signing a deal because he will seriously cash in if Barass or Gov leave, or is he genuinely considering his options?

I’ve never seen him play but it seems he has positioned himself well for a big pay day.

A few have expressed interest in Edwards from WC and whilst enjoying a coffee at work I’ve seen an article in the Age regarding him unlocking moves for Baker and the trading of Barass.

For anyone who follows things more closely, is he holding off signing a deal because he will seriously cash in if Barass or Gov leave, or is he genuinely considering his options?

I’ve never seen him play but it seems he has positioned himself well for a big pay day.
Unlikely he leaves WC, given Gov is nearing the end, and even if Barass stays

Only reason he might leave is chasing success now, over a decent payday in tge now

Another player 33 next year and struggling with injury. Like McGovern, at their best were very good players but what can we expect now?

List spots are gold now and players that are injury prone and past their best aren't helping us. I wouldn't do it

Definitely not saying I am in favour of this strategy, but wanted to get people's thoughts on this scenario ...

Let's call it the 'Aggressive Reset'.

It's quite extreme, but I think we need to make some tough calls to move this list towards the way the game has evolved. These moves are based on the assumption that the club is happy with how our injured players have recovered and the ability of our youth to step up in the absence of some of the outgoings (Binns, Wilson, Lord, and O'Keefe to be specific). Not sure how accurate I'm being with the trade value of the players but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

OUT

S - 7. Kennedy - TRADE (Melbourne 2nd/3rd rounder)
S - 16. Carroll TRADE (West Coast 3rd)
S - 19. Durdin TRADE (Port 3rd)
S - 33. Young TRADE (North token exchange of 4ths)
S - 14. Fantasia DELIST
S - 21. Martin DELIST
S - 22. Marchbank DELIST
S - 28. Cuningham DELIST
R - 32. M. Carroll DELIST
R - 38. Durdin DELIST
R - 41. Akuei DELIST
R - 45. Mirkov DELIST

IN

S - Dougal Howard (West Coast 3rd)
S - Nick Haynes (UFA)
S - Bailey Banfield (UFA)
S - Jacob Konstanty (Melbourne 2nd)
S - Conor Stone (Future 3rd)
S - Jordan Boyd (promoted to senior list)
S - First round pick (hopefully Joe Berry or Cooper Hynes)
S - Ben Camporeale (match with late picks)
R - Lucas Camporeale CAT A
R - Matt Duffy CAT B
R - damaging mid type OR save for SSP
R - project key/intercept defender OR save for SSP

Definitely not saying I am in favour of this strategy, but wanted to get people's thoughts on this scenario ...

Let's call it the 'Aggressive Reset'.

It's quite extreme, but I think we need to make some tough calls to move this list towards the way the game has evolved. These moves are based on the assumption that the club is happy with how our injured players have recovered and the ability of our youth to step up in the absence of some of the outgoings (Binns, Wilson, Lord, and O'Keefe to be specific). Not sure how accurate I'm being with the trade value of the players but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

OUT

S - 7. Kennedy - TRADE (Melbourne 2nd/3rd rounder)
S - 16. Carroll TRADE (West Coast 3rd)
S - 19. Durdin TRADE (Port 3rd)
S - 33. Young TRADE (North token exchange of 4ths)
S - 14. Fantasia DELIST
S - 21. Martin DELIST
S - 22. Marchbank DELIST
S - 28. Cuningham DELIST
R - 32. M. Carroll DELIST
R - 38. Durdin DELIST
R - 41. Akuei DELIST
R - 45. Mirkov DELIST

IN

S - Dougal Howard (West Coast 3rd)
S - Nick Haynes (UFA)
S - Bailey Banfield (UFA)
S - Jacob Konstanty (Melbourne 2nd)
S - Conor Stone (Future 3rd)
S - Jordan Boyd (promoted to senior list)
S - First round pick (hopefully Joe Berry or Cooper Hynes)
S - Ben Camporeale (match with late picks)
R - Lucas Camporeale CAT A
R - Matt Duffy CAT B
R - damaging mid type OR save for SSP
R - project key/intercept defender OR save for SSP

You trading out Kennedy?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back