List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not saying I am in favour of this strategy, but wanted to get people's thoughts on this scenario ...

Let's call it the 'Aggressive Reset'.

It's quite extreme, but I think we need to make some tough calls to move this list towards the way the game has evolved. These moves are based on the assumption that the club is happy with how our injured players have recovered and the ability of our youth to step up in the absence of some of the outgoings (Binns, Wilson, Lord, and O'Keefe to be specific). Not sure how accurate I'm being with the trade value of the players but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

OUT

S - 7. Kennedy - TRADE (Melbourne 2nd/3rd rounder)
S - 16. Carroll TRADE (West Coast 3rd)
S - 19. Durdin TRADE (Port 3rd)
S - 33. Young TRADE (North token exchange of 4ths)
S - 14. Fantasia DELIST
S - 21. Martin DELIST
S - 22. Marchbank DELIST
S - 28. Cuningham DELIST
R - 32. M. Carroll DELIST
R - 38. Durdin DELIST
R - 41. Akuei DELIST
R - 45. Mirkov DELIST

IN

S - Dougal Howard (West Coast 3rd)
S - Nick Haynes (UFA)
S - Bailey Banfield (UFA)
S - Jacob Konstanty (Melbourne 2nd)
S - Conor Stone (Future 3rd)
S - Jordan Boyd (promoted to senior list)
S - First round pick (hopefully Joe Berry or Cooper Hynes)
S - Ben Camporeale (match with late picks)
R - Lucas Camporeale CAT A
R - Matt Duffy CAT B
R - damaging mid type OR save for SSP
R - project key/intercept defender OR save for SSP

Your reset isn’t overly aggressive as you’re only probably 2-3 off what will happen, i find the idea of trading Kennedy as being crazy, have a look at our VFL side and see who our back up midfielders are in case of injury, the only AFL ready player is Carrol, who has question marks over if he’s actually up to standard, if you trade Carrol we are exposed, to then trade Kennedy would be a disaster for our depth i both the AFL and VFL.

I’ve seen Stone raised a few times and I’ve no idea if he’s any good but i dont see a need for another forward, when we have issue with small forwards, midfield pace, run and carry defenders, key defenders, a third tall forward is a long way down the list imo.

If we see the third tall forward as an area of concern, we have SOS and we could always try Lemmy or TDK as key forward and play Charlie as a third tall, we haven’t struggled for scoring this year but we struggle to defend all over the park.

You have gone with cutting Young, Marchbank and Durdin, all have been required the past two seasons, you have brought in Howard, Haynes which leaves us one short of what we had. If Howard and Haynes jump in front of Young and Kemp, great, that pushes Young as back up to the back up, a capable option in case of multiple injuries.

We need a deep lost to challenge at the pointy end, we wont get that by trading away players like Kennedy

Jay Clark in the HS saying the Tigers looking for a 1st round pick for their multiple 3rd and 4th rounders, mentioned us and Brisbane as being interested.

Austin wouldn’t be that stupid would he?

Definitely not saying I am in favour of this strategy, but wanted to get people's thoughts on this scenario ...

It's quite extreme, but I think we need to make some tough calls to move this list towards the way the game has evolved. These moves are based on the assumption that the club is happy with how our injured players have recovered and the ability of our youth to step up in the absence of some of the outgoings (Binns, Wilson, Lord, and O'Keefe to be specific). Not sure how accurate I'm being with the trade value of the players but let's not let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

OUT

S - 14. Fantasia DELIST
S - 21. Martin DELIST
S - 22. Marchbank DELIST
S - 28. Cuningham DELIST
R - 38. Durdin DELIST
R - 41. Akuei DELIST
R - 45. Mirkov DELIST

IN

S - Nick Haynes (UFA)
R - Matt Duffy CAT B

So the ‘aggressive’ part of your proposal is trading Kennedy, and a recently re-contracted Durdin, and essentially chucking a contracted Young, and Fantasia.
And for that we roughly get Konstanty and Connor Stone?

Does that really make us much better?

I’ve seen Stone raised a few times and I’ve no idea if he’s any good but i dont see a need for another forward, when we have issue with small forwards, midfield pace, run and carry defenders, key defenders, a third tall forward is a long way down the list imo.

If we see the third tall forward as an area of concern, we have SOS and we could always try Lemmy or TDK as key forward and play Charlie as a third tall, we haven’t struggled for scoring this year but we struggle to defend all over the park.

Not saying Stone is the answer, but it seems we went pretty hard at Hayward, who was really the only player we’ve been linked with.
Suggest boosting the forward line (replacing Martin) is absolutely seen as a priority.

Not saying Stone is the answer, but it seems we went pretty hard at Hayward, who was really the only player we’ve been linked with.
Suggest boosting the forward line (replacing Martin) is absolutely seen as a priority.

Im picking up on that too, i just dont see it as a concern at all, i actually think its the last area on our list of needs we should be addressing.

I dont see it helping forward half pressure, defending midfield stoppages, run and carry through the midfield, run and carry off half back, Key defence, defending D50 stoppages or pace.

I hope we are focusing on other areas to be honest.

Jay Clark in the HS saying the Tigers looking for a 1st round pick for their multiple 3rd and 4th rounders, mentioned us and Brisbane as being interested.

I read somewhere that it was a done deal.

Im picking up on that too, i just dont see it as a concern at all, i actually think its the last area on our list of needs we should be addressing.

I dont see it helping forward half pressure, defending midfield stoppages, run and carry through the midfield, run and carry off half back, Key defence, defending D50 stoppages or pace.

I hope we are focusing on other areas to be honest.
I think it is.
Probably not no.1 for me (key defender, pace), but we have really missed Jack Martin this year. Hopefully SOS will be back to his best next year, but I don’t want to be totally reliant on a guy coming off an ACL.
I know we’re a high-scoring team, but our forwardline has been a bit unbalanced this year.

Your reset isn’t overly aggressive as you’re only probably 2-3 off what will happen, i find the idea of trading Kennedy as being crazy, have a look at our VFL side and see who our back up midfielders are in case of injury, the only AFL ready player is Carrol, who has question marks over if he’s actually up to standard, if you trade Carrol we are exposed, to then trade Kennedy would be a disaster for our depth i both the AFL and VFL.

Trading Kennedy is based on the idea of other more versatile types replacing his midfield rotations (such as Docherty, E. Hollands, Wilson, Cowan, Cincotta). I'm not really concerned about the VFL midfield TBH. I think Lord has shown enough for us to believe he can step up with the support of mature VFL types around him.

The reality is that we need to replace Durdin, Fantasia, Martin and Cuningham in the depth chart. My approach with the forward situation is similar to what Austin did with the wingers a couple off-seasons ago: get as much new blood in as possible to create healthy competition for spots. Banfield I view as starting 22. Konstanty comes in to compete for Motlop/Owies/Fogarty's spot. Stone to compete with JSOS and Moir. However I believe Stone has shown versatility at VFL level beyond being pigeon holed as a only a third tall forward.

You have gone with cutting Young, Marchbank and Durdin, all have been required the past two seasons, you have brought in Howard, Haynes which leaves us one short of what we had. If Howard and Haynes jump in front of Young and Kemp, great, that pushes Young as back up to the back up, a capable option in case of multiple injuries.

I personally think Howard and Haynes will be a massive upgrade on the output Young/Marchbank/Durdin have provided. We don't need to replace them with three mature types. Happy to get Howard/Haynes and then keep another spot for a project key def.

So the ‘aggressive’ part of your proposal is trading Kennedy, and a recently re-contracted Durdin, and essentially chucking a contracted Young, and Fantasia.
And for that we roughly get Konstanty and Connor Stone?

Does that really make us much better?

Those moves also help us to acquire Banfield/Howard/Haynes.

Personally, I think it gives our list better balance while also shaking up the competitive dynamics in certain positional groups that have become a little stale.

OUT

S - 14. Fantasia DELIST
S - 21. Martin DELIST
S - 22. Marchbank DELIST
S - 28. Cuningham DELIST
R - 38. Durdin DELIST
R - 41. Akuei DELIST
R - 45. Mirkov DELIST

IN

S - Nick Haynes (UFA)
R - Matt Duffy CAT B
keep Kennedy.
durable, smart footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think we would trade Kennedy.
But, if we need to find some currency, he would probably be the one.
Makes less sense now given Cerra’s hamstring problems.

OUT

S - 14. Fantasia DELIST
S - 21. Martin DELIST
S - 22. Marchbank DELIST
S - 28. Cuningham DELIST
R - 38. Durdin DELIST
R - 41. Akuei DELIST
R - 45. Mirkov DELIST

IN

S - Nick Haynes (UFA)
R - Matt Duffy CAT B
Not bad, I'm not against taking a more aggressive stance in order to gain the right balance.
There does appear to be a reluctance to trade anyone that has any currency though.

The way the phantom drafts are going we might have 2 picks before the Campo boys get bid on (Lucas might be a rookie). Don't think we will be looking for late picks.

Not bad, I'm not against taking a more aggressive stance in order to gain the right balance.
There does appear to be a reluctance to trade anyone that has any currency though.

In the moment it always feels bad to trade away someone with currency, because that player is generally going to be a best 22 contributor. When "upgrading" the list, fans generally want to turf depth players and bring in All-Australians, and anything that doesn't meet that expectation is seen as a failure.

Ultimately though, when trading players with currency, you generally want to take from an area of the ground you're overstocked to improve an area with a deficiency. I don't think taking from our midfield to strengthen our backline is a smart move. Our backline is always going to struggle if our midfield is getting beaten to the ball, beaten on the spread and beaten on transition. Finding a way to improve our full-ground defense is a more efficient way of reducing scores against, because if we're winning turnover in the midfield we're going forward a hell of a lot more frequently too.

So if we're flipping a Kennedy type (for arguments sake, it could be Hewett or Cerra instead, even someone like Owies if he gets too-good-to-match offers), ie. a slower contested midfielder, then we should be looking to use the trade assets we get back to recruit a pacy midfielder with a rounded game (attack and defense).

Improve the KPD depth on a budget. Shell out for a game-changing mid.

Haynes or McGovern down back, swing Kemp forward.
Have a word with Shai Bolton and see if the talk from his camp is genuinely about moving to WA, or if he's just looking to get out of Punt Rd. I'd also be asking the question of someone like Windhager from St Kilda, and while I know he's unlikely having signed a long-term extension with the Crows, but I'd also have a chat with Jake Soligo's manager and see if there's any chance of luring him over.

I don’t think we would trade Kennedy.
But, if we need to find some currency, he would probably be the one.
Makes less sense now given Cerra’s hamstring problems.

Depends on the deal. I like Kennedy but we have Hewett Carroll Cripps possibly Lord who all have very similar traits and as has been proven this year we can't fit them all in

To improve sometimes you need to make the hard decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back