List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

The biggest assumption in my proposal is that Cerra is 100% fine and we're backing him in for the long haul.

Cripps with a fit and in form Cerra & Walsh looks very different
Then the return of Docherty
The development of Elijah
The speed of Wilson & a fitter Motlop
Minutes from Williams
Cooper Lord with a proper pre season

2025 without any additions looks better already

Jay Clark in the HS saying the Tigers looking for a 1st round pick for their multiple 3rd and 4th rounders, mentioned us and Brisbane as being interested.

Austin wouldn’t be that stupid would he?
Absolutely no to this. If austin does another one of these first round picks for late 2nd n 3rd rnd fodder ill eat my cat. Campos sliding, a few players we could potentially get some ok picks for, time to be ruthless and head up the board for some serious talent.

I never could understand why we went so hard for Cerra. He's a good mid, but the hype at the time was ridiculous.

Further to that, he offered no point of difference to what we had, although Kennedy was fairly inconsistent at the time, so maybe they were looking at Cerra as a replacement and offloading Kennedy. Kennedy however, has vastly improved and is now a lot more consistent. He also is a very good overhead mark and set shot - often playing the Mid/fwd role, so for this reason I think he's a keeper.

TBH I'm not sure we'd get a lot for Cerra now, given his severe hamstring issues, all before the age of 25.

I also think we need to put Walsh on a wing for at least a year before we ruin his body in the midfield.
Kennedy & Hewitt have been good support for Cripps, Hewitt has been very good this year IMHO despite being dropped and made sub. He's no elite mid, but he's very consistent and dependable.
When he was fit he was good and he was what we needed. Better runner than Kennedy and Hewett and a good user of the ball. His fitness and running ability have regressed over the last few seasons.

I'm not sure what the hamstring issues at Carlton are all about. Recruitment, training, recovery, neglecting something else or coaching?

It seems anyone prone to it suffers from it here.

Take Walsh out of the middle, removed the only quick player who chases, tackles and applies pressure. It would exacerbate our weaknesses. Big big problems in there. Walsh on a wing would be fantastic, but we need more like him, not less.

We should be looking to trade one of Kennedy or Hewett and chase some young top up and coming mids in their early 20's. We've ballsed up the rebuild and structuring of our midfield.

Players who can provide meaningful cover in multiple roles are gold.

Casboult was never a star, but he could do a job forward, back, or in the ruck. Effectively he was depth in 3 positions for the price of 1 list spot.

JSOS prior to injury was arguably best 22, but even if not he was still first man in for any of Harry, Charlie, TDK, Pitto, or Martin. Doc covers multiple roles too. It's been terrible luck for us to lose both for the same season.

This is one reason why I'm firmly against us trading Kennedy. Who else do we get in who can (a) play mid, (b) play forward, (c) pinch hit in the ruck, (d) play defensive mid / tagger when needed, and (e) even do half a job covering halfback if things get desperate?

It's also why it's so disappointing that Young has fallen away in the past 18 months. Having someone who can cover both KPD and ruck is good list management -- provided that the player is up to the level.

When he was fit he was good and he was what we needed. Better runner than Kennedy and Hewett and a good user of the ball. His fitness and running ability had regressed over the last few seasons.

I'm not sure what the hamstring issues at Carlton are all about. Recruitment, training, recovery, neglecting something else or coaching?

Take Walsh out of the middle, removed the only quick player who chases, tackles and applies pressure. It would exacerbate our weaknesses. Big big problems in there. Walsh on a wing would be fantastic, but we need more like him, not less.

We should be looking to trade one of Kennedy or Hewett and chase some young top up and coming mids in their early 20's. We've ballsed up the rebuild and structuring of our midfield.

Fair balanced post

The question for me is this the midfield to take us to a Premiership or do we need something else

Hewett Kennedy are very good players BUT they don’t offer much different to what also have with Cripps & Carroll? There is a sameness about our group

Cerra and Walsh fully fit make us much better. Elijah will step up, Docherty is back and we have Wilson & Lord coming through. We have options and points of difference and that’s before recruits and draft

IF we can improve our midfield and/or team by trading one of them then I’m all for it. If you don’t consider and weigh up every option you’re an idiot

Question is always what’s in the deal

Hewett Kennedy are very good players BUT they don’t offer much different to what also have with Cripps & Carroll? There is a sameness about our group
Kennedy does offer versatility which we don't get from a Carroll. Kennedy can literally play all four lines and is also a great overhead mark which helps if he floats back or if he is forward.

When he was fit he was good and he was what we needed. Better runner than Kennedy and Hewett and a good user of the ball. His fitness and running ability have regressed over the last few seasons.

gbatman I have not seen any of that from Walsh. But take kennedy and Hewett out of the midfield and we shank.
Walsh has been so not chasing and tackling and selling others into congestion that taking him out of the centre is a must. He is our BRaddles, a receiver.

Kennedy does offer versatility which we don't get from a Carroll. Kennedy can literally play all four lines and is also a great overhead mark which helps if he floats back or if he is forward.

Doesn’t change my point. If the deal improves us then ………….

Our current group hasn’t taken us close to a flag yet. Surely that’s all that matters?

PS won’t happen. Just a discussion

Last edited:

Club isn't going to get rid of best 22, and versatility for a 2nd rounder

We can add best 22 for cheap currency like Acres and Elijah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Morris saying west coast opened to trading Liam Ryan

we need more of what Kennedy is doing in game from our other mids. He spreads, he blocks, he moves to the ball, he tackles with appropriate aggression and he provides options.

Maybe, maybe not? Remember he was a sub last week.

Will current midfield take us to a flag or do we need to make changes?

Collingwood last year traded Ginnvan and Adams after flag trying to improve

Of you don’t improve you go backwards

That’s the question

Last edited:
Liam Ryan should be a player we at least enquire about if available. Contracted for another 2 years means WCE have some power in the deal if they’re shipping him out. But he’s turning 28 and has 4-5 seasons in him and would be a great fit. The forward line could use the experience. Just his body has a question mark over it, would want to be confident he can play majority of games

I’m in the camp that aside from a must need KPD, we should be pressing for another small forward and, even a half forward - be it draft or trade.
Midfield needs a different profile mid or two in there who has some explosiveness and leg speed but I feel we can re-invent that as need be with some youth and smart recruiting.

Liam Ryan should be a player we at least enquire about if available. Contracted for another 2 years means WCE have some power in the deal if they’re shipping him out. But he’s turning 28 and has 4-5 seasons in him and would be a great fit. The forward line could use the experience.

I’m in the camp that aside from a must need KPD, we should be pressing for another small forward and, even a half forward - be it draft or trade.
Midfield needs a different profile mid or two in there who has some explosiveness and leg speed but I feel we can re-invent that as need be with some youth and smart recruiting.

Dare I say he is the perfect Martin replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back