List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, maybe not? Remember he was a sub last week.

Will current midfield take us to a flag or do we need to make changes?

Collingwood last year traded Ginnvan and Adams after flag trying to improve

Of you don’t improve you go backwards

That’s the question
the issue for me is do you get rid of the player who is doing all those things or the two who are not. Cerra and Walsh.
Improve the side by getting rid of those who are not contributing.

gbatman I have not seen any of that from Walsh. But take kennedy and Hewett out of the midfield and we shank.
Walsh has been so not chasing and tackling and selling others into congestion that taking him out of the centre is a must. He is our BRaddles, a receiver.
Walsh averages 7 tackles a game. Rubbish

the issue for me is do you get rid of the player who is doing all those things or the two who are not. Cerra and Walsh.
Improve the side by getting rid of those who are not contributing.

That’s now

IMO a fit Cerra & Walsh are fantastic players and younger. Key is can we get both fit next year?

All part of the decision making process

None, those are other tackles he's laid that don't get counted on the stats as they go in as free kicks against instead
Look Walshy is magnificent when he is on. At the moment he is not, he is in a form slump and appears to only be interested in padding his stats.

Other posters have noted that he is calling for the ball when he is not in the clear. The HTB change has really stuff him up.
He is not taking the time to dispose of the ball to our advantage, not wearing the tackle but rather playing hot potato.

Look Walshy is magnificent when he is on. At the moment he is not, he is in a form slump and appears to only be interested in padding his stats.
My opinion is he looks heavily banged up. Has no pop in his game at all, sky kicks, slower on the burst... Doesn't look at his best.

Unfortunately with the team bottling the last 6 weeks we don't have a chance to rest him or Charlie, Weiters etc

My opinion is he looks heavily banged up. Has no pop in his game at all, sky kicks, slower on the burst... Doesn't look at his best.

Unfortunately with the team bottling the last 6 weeks we don't have a chance to rest him or Charlie, Weiters etc
Which is why I am suggesting he be moved to an outside role not in the gutz.

Tom Morris saying west coast opened to trading Liam Ryan

Maybe that’s why we’re holding off signing Owies?
Both the same age.

Ryan is clearly a more dynamic player and dangerous in the air but statistically Owies averages more goals, tackles and pressure acts.

That said, 27yo All Australian-Premiership players should always be looked at. Can’t have too many of those type of players at your club.

Sam Collins
Miles Bergman
Liam Ryan

And a few drafts picks. Solves a lot of issues and definitely makes us better

I see we are back to, Kennedy and Hewett can't play in the same side

Plenty of our wins have come with both in the side, suspect that will continue
Absolutely can play in the same side. I am just not convinced our coaches have worked out the balance and nuance of the roles within our group.

Tom Morris saying west coast opened to trading Liam Ryan

IF he checks out medically (and so does McGovern) my "too good to be true" trade scenario might well be McGovern and Ryan for a package involving Carroll going home to be best 22 for them and our first. May ask for help in the short term with salary too to help get it over the line.

Two birds, one stone (figuratively).

Absolutely can play in the same side. I am just not convinced our coaches have worked out the balance and nuance of the roles within our group.

Maybe the coaches don’t believe that can take us further? How many times have Hewett Kennedy or Carroll been sub or even dropped?

Kennedy has also been used in many different roles. They have rarely both been used in the midfield together

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have not heard anything about Sam Collins wanting to move ... are you hearing something?

Would be a complete wish list item

But there's plenty of murmurs going around about particular players at the Suns right now.

Some losing patience. Collins being 30 (!) it wouldn't surprise me if he may be be one despite the Suns giving him a career.

Maybe the coaches don’t believe that can take us further? How many times have Hewett Kennedy or Carroll been sub or even dropped?

Kennedy has also been used in many different roles
Kennedy is under rated by our brains’trust. The secret is managing TOG for our group. We have five staples, but need to embrace Elijah and possibly Carroll as genuine rotations. We can offset having a little less pace than opponents by keeping our players fresher. I love the creativity of Kennedy, he is not to the level of some others skill wise, but is great at finding a way through sheer determination. Carroll has plenty of growth, watching the twos, he is quicker than has been in display, may not ever become first choice for us, but will play plenty of games/minutes if he resists the temptation to return to the west.

George, I have the utmost respect for, his combat ability and work rate are admirable. I believe he is the weak link. Regarding connectivity. He is brilliant at getting to contests and halving them, forcing repeat stoppages. A fit Cerra at first (or second) receiver is a weapon. Think we play him too much inside in our structures. Walshy needs to become a shock weapon, just because he can run all day doesn’t mean he should.

Voss should show faith in his midfield group and rotate players out should they become a little jaded. We have enough ability in our developing group to absorb absentees short term. They need to be rested, not dropped and sent around at the lower level overlooking the chance for a freshen up.

Thinking Lord (along with Elijah) may make Jack Carroll expendable, but I am quite invested in Carroll. I am certain Lord is copping a fair bit on the track to fast track his development. He is handling it admirably. A work horse with the scope to exhibit a bit more class down the track. A ferocious tackler committed to running defensively better than most of our front liners. Certainly has the scope to be a “game changer”.

The Campos will add options. Lucas will be slow burn and become a decent option off wing or half back, maybe even half forward. Ben is going to be interesting. Very determined, great work rate, a little stronger than his brother at the moment, and likely to become an option relatively early. Covers the ground well, working both ways, and while his disposal isn’t text book, it is statistically very effective. Has the framework to become a midsized to bigger bodied mid, or become another wing or half back option.

Ideally we find a spot to add some genuine foot speed in this draft, either a hybrid mid or a small or medium forward.

Kennedy is under rated by our brains’trust. The secret is managing TOG for our group. We have five staples, but need to embrace Elijah and possibly Carroll as genuine rotations. We can offset having a little less pace than opponents by keeping our players fresher. I love the creativity of Kennedy, he is not to the level of some others skill wise, but is great at finding a way through sheer determination. Carroll has plenty of growth, watching the twos, he is quicker than has been in display, may not ever become first choice for us, but will play plenty of games/minutes if he resists the temptation to return to the west.

George, I have the utmost respect for, his combat ability and work rate are admirable. I believe he is the weak link. Regarding connectivity. He is brilliant at getting to contests and halving them, forcing repeat stoppages. A fit Cerra at first (or second) receiver is a weapon. Think we play him too much inside in our structures. Walshy needs to become a shock weapon, just because he can run all day doesn’t mean he should.

Voss should show faith in his midfield group and rotate players out should they become a little jaded. We have enough ability in our developing group to absorb absentees short term. They need to be rested, not dropped and sent around at the lower level overlooking the chance for a freshen up.

Thinking Lord (along with Elijah) may make Jack Carroll expendable, but I am quite invested in Carroll. I am certain Lord is copping a fair bit on the track to fast track his development. He is handling it admirably. A work horse with the scope to exhibit a bit more class down the track. A ferocious tackler committed to running defensively better than most of our front liners. Certainly has the scope to be a “game changer”.

The Campos will add options. Lucas will be slow burn and become a decent option off wing or half back, maybe even half forward. Ben is going to be interesting. Very determined, great work rate, a little stronger than his brother at the moment, and likely to become an option relatively early. Covers the ground well, working both ways, and while his disposal isn’t text book, it is statistically very effective. Has the framework to become a midsized to bigger bodied mid, or become another wing or half back option.

Ideally we find a spot to add some genuine foot speed in this draft, either a hybrid mid or a small or medium forward.

Don’t disagree and well stated. I think we (the coaches) have looked for reasons why they can’t play as opposed to what they bring to the side. I rate them highly individually, but if you look carefully when they have played together this year we have struggled.

However, the conversation was about a possible trade.

My attitude is you consider everything if it helps us to get to a flag

I’m also a believer that opportunity can make players better. We have Elijah Wilson Carroll Lord all coming through, Docherty back and draft picks

I expect and hope Cerra & Walsh will be back near their best next year

What if a Kennedy trade helped get us a Barrass or a Bergman? Surely, it has to be considered as opposed to a simple no?

My dream haul which would potentially require moving on Owies, Kennedy, Carroll types. Trade in 2025 pick for a 2nd bite at the first round and try to package up some late picks/players to get them in range of Berry and Travaglia. Then load up for Cody Walker in 2026 and any NGA boys who make the grade like Ison, Gresham etc.

DFA - James Borlase
Trade - Malcolm Rosas (Owies pick)
Draft - Joe Berry (10-15), Tobie Travaglia (13-18)

FB: Tobie Travaglia - Jacob Weitering - Adam Saad
HB: Nic Newman - James Borlase - Mitch McGovern

C: Blake Acres - Patrick Cripps - Sam Docherty

HF: Joe Berry - Charlie Curnow - Elijah Hollands
FF: Zac Williams - Harry McKay - Malcolm Rosas

R: Tom Dekoning - Sam Walsh - Lachie Cowan

I/C: Jack Silvagni - Adam Cerra - Lachie Fogarty

Finally have some pace around the ground and some genuine dare on the flanks, may take 12 months to come on but I think it gives us the best chance of success over the next 2-4 years during our Cripps/Curnow/Weiters/McKay window. All in on this group.

Borlase/a second KPD who'd come cheap, would be a range of options out there. Borlase, Howard, DGB, Edwards, JWilliams, Haynes etc. Just anyone to get Kemp out of there and into a more natural position for him, don't want him losing any more confidence as I think his talent is huge and is detrimental to feed him to the wolves down back.

Rosas or Liam Ryan as a hybrid small/medium fwd. Rosas is lightning quick and a good finisher, Ryan has questions over his body these days but at his best is a Martin level talent equivalent.

Berry and Travaglia give us speed, dare, foot skills and are ultra competitive. Don't see it happening but I'd move heaven and earth to get the two of them for our future.

Want to see Cow developed as an on baller which is why I'd be open to a Kennedy move (even though he's a fantastic depth piece, he's just too similar to our other mids imo), defensive nous is elite, has good break away speed and a thumping kick. Would like to see him as at least a rotation at stages in 2025 if he's ready to step up.

Don’t disagree and well stated. I think we (the coaches) have looked for reasons why they can’t play as opposed to what they bring to the side. I rate them highly individually, but if you look carefully when they have played together this year we have struggled.

However, the conversation was about a possible trade.

My attitude is you consider everything if it helps us to get to a flag

I’m also a believer that opportunity can make players better. We have Elijah Wilson Carroll Lord all coming through, Docherty back and draft picks

I expect and hope Cerra & Walsh will be back near their best next year

What if a Kennedy trade helped get us a Barrass or a Bergman? Surely, it has to be considered as opposed to a simple no?
Wrong bloke to talk to about trading Kennedy. Followed him closely from pre draft at GWS. In those days (following my injuries and pre my daughter’s birth) I had monumental time on my hands and loved his story and style. He was even better before a series of injuries made him “more a straight line player”. Russell cops plenty of criticism, but Chugga has improved dramatically with his agility over the last couple of years after all but losing it. I suspect modified training means he doesn’t have the endurance he once had, but his movement has largely returned. He still has upside. Still think Voss and co. Can use him better, somewhat of a tandem with Crippa rotating mid/forward. The team needs to use Cripps as more shock and less stock in the middle to both preserve him and develop the other players. Crippa is a bloody freak increasing his athleticism annually as he approaches 30.

Cez has to be a keeper. We need to do some serious work identifying his hamstring stressors and addressing them. He would be discounted if traded. If you want to trade any of our regulars, it is Hewett. I believe his role is the one we can upgrade, maybe with Lord who is a little more athletic, a committed defensive worker and brutal tackler for one so young taking up the “slack”. I know George would be missed, but I think he is easier to replace and/or upgrade than Kennedy is.

Last edited:
Hewett’s trade value would be less though, too.

Hewett would have more trade value than Kennedy.

Kennedy is always a UFA after his contracts due to his previous delisting

Hewett is a NFA and can only move via trades and the draft.

Both contracts end in 2025.

Therefore if a club wanted Kennedy they could low ball us this year or get him for free next year without us having the right to match.

Hewett, on the other hand, hasn't got the same level of leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back