List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

But to get to the point whether he's really good ,average or never been much good I'm just aggravated by people who want to knock him every chance they get.

A couple of years ago it was every Adelaide game, in they come again picking up every time he missed a target or a shot.

The issue is that they're really annoyed anyone could think he's a good player. Which he is.

But to get to the point whether he's really good ,average or never been much good I'm just aggravated by people who want to knock him every chance they get.

A couple of years ago it was every Adelaide game, in they come again picking up every time he missed a target or a shot.

The issue is that they're really annoyed anyone could think he's a good player. Which he is.
I am just saying that I don’t see a place for him in our team.

Interesting given it was probably a reaction to every time he kicked a goal someone probably calling Fages an idiot for letting him go

Most have been well balanced that he needed a long run of games at senior level to take the next step which he wasn't going to get here

But keep your moral crusade up. I'm sure you're winning hearts and minds

I am just saying that I don’t see a place for him in our team.
Well he's been gone for 4 years Dalions so it's pointless but if he were available now absolutely I would have him in the team.

But we brought Prior in who everyone thought was finished and he was able to play a role so apart from say 7 or 8 key players he'd just be one of many who could do a job
Interesting given it was probably a reaction to every time he kicked a goal someone probably calling Fages an idiot for letting him go

Most have been well balanced that he needed a long run of games at senior level to take the next step which he wasn't going to get here

You're just making that up. That's completely untrue.

The knockers far outweighed anyone who supported him.

All I kept saying was that he was a good player and the usual suspects kept piling in trying to make an argument out of whether we should have let him go or not.

I'm glad we let him go because he was never going to get anywhere with us.

This is why it’s pointless bringing it up all of the time.
I think you'll find I wasn't the one who brought it up. The second time the word Keays has come out of my mouth for over a year.

But others seem to want to will him to be not much good like an itch they cant get rid of.

Ben's actually a descendant of a couple of Fitzroy greats from nearly a century ago so I've always had a soft spot for him.

Last edited:
Not on what I saw 2 weeks ago. He was everywhere. That was a game where he won it virtually on his own.

But clearly playing above himself. He's done that a few times.

Barely used him around the ball yesterday despite very clearly needing some contested strength in there. Bad coaching imo.

Interesting to compare the situation between Lohmann and Robertson at the start of the year. Different players but arguments could be made for each to take up a defensive small forward role. Robertson was probably in front of Lohmann as he played in the grand final. Both recovering from injuries. Lohmann selected in front of Robertson as his recovery was furthe advanced. Posters questioned Lomann’s selection even as sub during the first three or four rounds.

Now Lohmann is one of the keys to our forward set up and Robertson should be traded (according to some/many). Players’ careers can be determined by many random factors.

Sliding doors…. Love what Keays has achieved at the Crows through hard work and determination….. Had he played defensive small forward for the
Lions it last years grand final no one knows what the result would have been.

Interesting to compare the situation between Lohmann and Robertson at the start of the year. Different players but arguments could be made for each to take up a defensive small forward role. Robertson was probably in front of Lohmann as he played in the grand final. Both recovering from injuries. Lohmann selected in front of Robertson as his recovery was furthe advanced. Posters questioned Lomann’s selection even as sub during the first three or four rounds.

Now Lohmann is one of the keys to our forward set up and Robertson should be traded (according to some/many). Players’ careers can be determined by many random factors.

Sliding doors…. Love what Keays has achieved at the Crows through hard work and determination….. Had he played defensive small forward for the

Yes especially as Keays would have barely played in the last 4 years and probably would've been the same guy we delisted who couldn't handle the pressure at AFL level and fumbled all the time

Agreed, as much as I loved flying the flag for Dev last year - I wasn't in agreement with him choosing to stay. Ashcroft was coming back from ACL, Levi/Marshall on their way - writing was on the wall and he should've received better advise if there was interest out there from other clubs.

Lohmann arriving was a total surprise in the middle of all this and it again shows how Dev was always on the edge in terms of first 22. Pressure high half forward + midfield rotation would've been his go, too bad Lohmann and Ah Chee have taken over these spots and playing very well so far.

One thing I will say though is, good on Dev for backing himself to do what Kai has done. Unfortunately, his season has been cruelled by injuries at the wrong times.
Yeah it was pretty amazing that he stayed - I hope he doesn't regret it and we stick fat with him over the next 3 to 4 years if there isn't a lot of interest from other clubs (there should be - he is an obvious Keays 2.0 IMO).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it was pretty amazing that he stayed - I hope he doesn't regret it and we stick fat with him over the next 3 to 4 years if there isn't a lot of interest from other clubs (there should be - he is an obvious Keays 2.0 IMO).

Highly doubt we'll continue with him unless he's happy to stay as rookie down the track. This industry is so fickle, even father sons get punted quickly if they don't keep the improvement trajectory going.

Dev needs better advise or a different management team around him, someone who would've told him to take that 3 or 4 year deal from West Coast last year and run quickly.

The problem for Dev is that he would also struggle to get a game in the West Coast or Freo midfield so would have to look elsewhere rather than heading back home. And I don’t think there would be too many teams out there where he could be assured of being in the starting 22.

The problem for Dev is that he would also struggle to get a game in the West Coast or Freo midfield so would have to look elsewhere rather than heading back home. And I don’t think there would be too many teams out there where he could be assured of being in the starting 22.
Sadly for Dev he is just one of the latest of a long line of players who don't make it at AFL level, percentages tell us that far more players drop out of the system with a few years and minimal games than go on to forge 150+ game careers.

He has done well to get 5 years on a list(so far) and play 43 games... and of course have life long memories of playing in an all time great Grand Final in which I thought he was quite good... albeit I have never re watched the game.

Over the next few years spots on the list will be at a premium. It appears our Academy is producing quality draftable midfielders. Good players on the fringes will have to make way for the new draftees. Dev unless he turns his career around (Lohmann style) is looking at being traded or delisted at conclusion of his contract. Unfortunately, sport has no sentiment for the fringe players.

Over the next few years spots on the list will be at a premium. It appears our Academy is producing quality draftable midfielders. Good players on the fringes will have to make way for the new draftees. Dev unless he turns his career around (Lohmann style) is looking at being traded or delisted at conclusion of his contract. Unfortunately, sport has no sentiment for the fringe players.
Our Academy needs to get working on a quality key forward to take Joe's spot in a few years. :D

Ty Gallop come on down.

Our Academy needs to get working on a quality key forward to take Joe's spot in a few years. :D

Ty Gallop come on down.
Only a few years ago the "Grass Is Greener" mob were complaining we were not producing midfielders like the Swans' academy. Now we are producing too many. Hahaha:D

Ty Gallop come on down.
Only a few years ago the "Grass Is Greener" mob were complaining we were not producing midfielders like the Swans' academy. Now we are producing too many. Hahaha:D
Hopefully Ty gets the nickname 🐴 by his players (when the time comes).

*Too early for my dad jokes is it, I probably should gallop my way back to work now.

No GIF

We have a logjam at midfield with no injuries and players like Berry, Bailey, Rayner and Ashcroft who are all better midfielders in the first team anyway.
Yeah we do, with Levi n Marshall it's deeper. But looking at that list, how many would you describe as a defensive mid. We imported Dunkley to do it, Berry has been reborn into it, after that the cupboard is bare. We've seen how much better we've been in the midfield with a cpl of bulls in there and the stronger option to tag. On our list at the moment our best option to fill that role going fwd should Dunks or Berry both be out is Dev. (Assuming Lyons gone). We've seen this year how injuries can decimate one type of player in a season. He is contracted for next year, and unless he is asking to go, I'm keeping him. After that, who knows.

Yeah we do, with Levi n Marshall it's deeper. But looking at that list, how many would you describe as a defensive mid. We imported Dunkley to do it, Berry has been reborn into it, after that the cupboard is bare. We've seen how much better we've been in the midfield with a cpl of bulls in there and the stronger option to tag. On our list at the moment our best option to fill that role going fwd should Dunks or Berry both be out is Dev. (Assuming Lyons gone). We've seen this year how injuries can decimate one type of player in a season. He is contracted for next year, and unless he is asking to go, I'm keeping him. After that, who knows.
Honestly, we have a player or two that could do a defensive mid/lockdown role if required due to injuries etc. I am confident Starce could do the role, as could Answorth, Prior could likely do it as well in a pinch. The problem is you can't keep 44 AFL level guys on a list and have great backups for every position in case the worst happens. But pushing someone who has or could lock down a spot in a HFF/wing/HBF to a mid role for a while and pushing lesser proven player up to take their spot is what I would imagine the coaching staff would do if we do lose Dev this year.

Honestly, we have a player or two that could do a defensive mid/lockdown role if required due to injuries etc. I am confident Starce could do the role, as could Answorth, Prior could likely do it as well in a pinch. The problem is you can't keep 44 AFL level guys on a list and have great backups for every position in case the worst happens. But pushing someone who has or could lock down a spot in a HFF/wing/HBF to a mid role for a while and pushing lesser proven player up to take their spot is what I would imagine the coaching staff would do if we do lose Dev this year.
The 3 you mentioned I'm sure could do it at a pinch. But they are half backs, that's their strengths. Ashcroft, Bailey or Clugg could fill in down back but you'd rather use Answerth wouldn't you? If Berry and Dunkley were both out for 6plus weeks I don't think you'd be selecting Prior over Dev. Not after the improvement he showed v Suns as a Hb. Why weaken a strength by moving Starce? No sense there. Answerth maybe, not convinced, I'd still pick Dev. Maybe Torrent, or Marshall could develop into hunt ball, make tackle, stop him footballers. Fletcher I think can when he grows into his man's body but that's a year or so away. Tunstill is not as good as Dev. For goodness sake it's just for one more year for Dev if he doesn't want to go. He is good depth in a tough role, he's been loyal, he's maturing, I'm more than happy to see his contract out.

Prior to the carnage of the last couple of weeks I think our list lacks a back up Key defender and a backup Key forward. The last couple of weeks just has the point emboldened. Ideally we could pick up a player that covers both roles.

I respect the role Joyce has taken on but i am not sure he is it.

Z is very young, and while I am glad we took the chance, he will take time. He looks to be still learning the basics of positioning, which is fine for his age. I did like his ability to get his hands free and find a teammate in his draft video while playing ruck. Maybe we throw him inside and tell him to hunt it and dish it out.

On the front end I am not convinced Ryan can adequately cover should Eric or Joe be struck down for multiple weeks.

I like Khamis, back off contract and can slide to third tall or fill in Key posts at either end when required. Not a bad user and good hands.

Borlase from Adelaide is down the pecking order there and is a younger option. Not sure he satisfies the forward requirement at all.

Short term T Macdonald from Melbourne is a FA and could provide cover at both ends for maybe two seasons while Z or potentially Gallop, Gillett, Richardson or whoever is in development.

Prior to the carnage of the last couple of weeks I think our list lacks a back up Key defender and a backup Key forward. The last couple of weeks just has the point emboldened. Ideally we could pick up a player that covers both roles.

I respect the role Joyce has taken on but i am not sure he is it.

Z is very young, and while I am glad we took the chance, he will take time. He looks to be still learning the basics of positioning, which is fine for his age. I did like his ability to get his hands free and find a teammate in his draft video while playing ruck. Maybe we throw him inside and tell him to hunt it and dish it out.

On the front end I am not convinced Ryan can adequately cover should Eric or Joe be struck down for multiple weeks.

I like Khamis, back off contract and can slide to third tall or fill in Key posts at either end when required. Not a bad user and good hands.

Borlase from Adelaide is down the pecking order there and is a younger option. Not sure he satisfies the forward requirement at all.

Short term T Macdonald from Melbourne is a FA and could provide cover at both ends for maybe two seasons while Z or potentially Gallop, Gillett, Richardson or whoever is in development.
Tomlison at Dees is an interesting one too. Not sure of contract status

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back