List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2070800

Apparently an extension is being locked in this off season and they reckon it’ll be at least a million a season.
We've taken a leap of faith with Cam on the contracts he's signed thus far so I can't see this one being anything different but what happens over the next 8 weeks might determine the price.

Do we have a salary cap
$1m is expected to become the new normal payday for the biggest stars of the game with the new CBA. The new CBA also increased the salary cap. From the ABC:

The CBA sets out a salary cap for each side as well, called the Total Player Payment Limit. That limit is $15,788,222 per club in 2024.
That will grow to $18,440,415 in 2027.

Do we have a salary cap

I can see all the Vic brothers warming up ready to scream ===

Northern clubs getting unfair leg up with no salary cap and everyone signing million dollar contracts rawwr rawwr raaaawwrrrrr

:devil::devil::devil::devil:

I can see all the Vic brothers warming up ready to scream ===

Northern clubs getting unfair leg up with no salary cap and everyone signing million dollar contracts rawwr rawwr raaaawwrrrrr

:devil::devil::devil::devil:

1722943318470.jpeg

Makes you wonder why we bothered drafting Craven then, when we had a severe lack of mature KPD depth.

And if he gets injured? I'm not suggesting Beecken or Craven will start for us, just that we need good depth for covering injuries and poor form.

Yes he can. Players sometimes never recapture their form.

Prior has shown value as an undersized KPD, not as an attacking half back. Answerth too is a lockdown defender rather than an attacking half back. Beecken is playing better than Torrent, and if we're discussing VFL positions, note they're trying out Beecken at wing lately. Perhaps that's where the coaches see him providing more depth for us next season.

Starce is again a lockdown defender, not the same role Beecken has played at.

Then we rob ourselves of wing depth.

As I said, I already accounted for that in my comment on the previous page.

We agree they could have picked better if it was just about needs. Kinda cruel to get players to move halfway across the country if they were only ever going to be cheap depth, though Beecken at least will easily find a suitor if we delist him.
When you can only have a certain number of players on a squad and a salary cap to deal with, decisions have to be made on how many players you carry as starters, depth and developing. It would be lovely to have unlimited depth just in case of disasters, injuries, poor form etc, but ya just can't. I think we have plenty of depth in their positions without Beecken and Craven. Enough to get through any struggles during a season. We've seen how well we can step up when needed this season. Keeping both could also tie up list spots that could see us miss out on some promising academy kids in the draft. We could certainly use a Richardson or a Gillett coming through. I'd rather the kids for the future than superfluous depth for a season. You disagree I get it, Beecken and Craven may have impressed enough to be kept on but it will be at the expense of a similar positioned player. They can't really be an added extra.

And when it comes to moving across country for a 6 month contract, people do it all the time in many many different occupations. I've done it myself in hospitality. Knowing it's just 6 mths, you don't uproot completely. You keep your home or unit, rent or sublet it out, furniture goes in storage if it has to. You take what you need. If you impress or situations change and your contract is extended, great, then you move. If it's not its been a good audition for other suitors as you mentioned.

When you can only have a certain number of players on a squad and a salary cap to deal with, decisions have to be made on how many players you carry as starters, depth and developing. It would be lovely to have unlimited depth just in case of disasters, injuries, poor form etc, but ya just can't. I think we have plenty of depth in their positions without Beecken and Craven. Enough to get through any struggles during a season. We've seen how well we can step up when needed this season. Keeping both could also tie up list spots that could see us miss out on some promising academy kids in the draft. We could certainly use a Richardson or a Gillett coming through. I'd rather the kids for the future than superfluous depth for a season. You disagree I get it, Beecken and Craven may have impressed enough to be kept on but it will be at the expense of a similar positioned player. They can't really be an added extra.

And when it comes to moving across country for a 6 month contract, people do it all the time in many many different occupations. I've done it myself in hospitality. Knowing it's just 6 mths, you don't uproot completely. You keep your home or unit, rent or sublet it out, furniture goes in storage if it has to. You take what you need. If you impress or situations change and your contract is extended, great, then you move. If it's not its been a good audition for other suitors as you mentioned.
Agree on Beecken & Craven
They were insurance for the second half of the year.
So far we have not needed them but still 3 games plus finals to go.

Hopefully we don't need to use them because that would be the best outcome for our finals chances.

Regarding round 1 2025 team.
It all depends on one thing
We win the GF and that is the R1 side. Have to reward them right.
We lose or don't make it, then the players will be different.
Not to mention it is also over 6 months away.
Im pretty sure that no premiership winning team has ever managed to line up exactly the same way to start the next year. Whether trades, injuries, retirements, etc its never quite panned out.

Apparently an extension is being locked in this off season and they reckon it’ll be at least a million a season.
Gettable said today that he's got interest across the competition. Twomey also said that he'd be surprised if he signed an extension soon because his free agency price is increasing.

AFL Gettable

Cal and Riley at 17:55 just discussed Cam Rayner and all the clubs that will be coming after him contradicting what was said on Midweek Tackle. Usual suspects are said to be interested (I mean all clubs are interested in gun free agents) including Ess, Geel, Rich, St.K, Coll and Dogs all to be targeting him. In all honesty, a pretty nothing segment.

AFL Gettable

Cal and Riley at 17:55 just discussed Cam Rayner and all the clubs that will be coming after him contradicting what was said on Midweek Tackle. Usual suspects are said to be interested (I mean all clubs are interested in gun free agents) including Ess, Geel, Rich, St.K, Coll and Dogs all to be targeting him. In all honesty, a pretty nothing segment.

With almost all the free agents off the table they switched focus to the pre-agents. Just guessing at this stage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im pretty sure that no premiership winning team has ever managed to line up exactly the same way to start the next year. Whether trades, injuries, retirements, etc its never quite panned out.
Agree
But i was not about to guess on players available in 6 months time.

When you look at our 2023 GF side there was only 3 changes to who lined up in round 1 the next year.
Payne missed the GF due to injury but played round 1.
McKenna played in the GF but not round 1 due to injury.
Robertson played in the GF but not in round 1

AFL Gettable

Yeah, pretty meaningless episode for anything Lions related. Except for this tidbit: Levi will be playing VFL this weekend for Brisbane.

From Moneyball in the Herald Sun:
Cam Rayner’s most consistent stretch of form across his seven-season AFL career looks like culminating in a big payday as the Brisbane Lions prepare to take the 24-year-old off next year’s free agency market.
he Herald Sun understands new deals for Rayner and Lions co-captain Harris Andrews – who both come out of contract at the end of 2025 – will become post-season priorities for the Lions.
Both should be locked away before the opening round of next season.
Veterans Dayne Zorko and Ryan Lester are set to play on into 2025, while injured forward Lincoln McCarthy was handed a one-year deal shortly after suffering a season-ending knee injury.
Rayner is finally starting to realise his potential this season with coach Chris Fagan giving him a licence to attend stoppages. He is not 25 until October and if he can maintain his current form, he looms as one of the Lions’ key weapons for the rest of the decade.
Andrews, 27, is also in line for a bumper extension which should be inked before the start of next season. He remains one of the Lions’ most important leaders and a new deal would likely see him remain a Brisbane player for life.

2025 will be no different, when we win it this year, round 1 2025 will include Coleman and LAshcroft.
Did someone say Coleman went in for a knee clean up. Will he be ready round 1?
Not sure I rush him or DooDee back into the side early

Yes happy officially Levi announced the Lions.. Hope we get Marshall as well.
I like to keep Beecken if we can
Spots going to be tight

I think we've got a fairly high opinion of Beecken fwwiw.
Yes his long looping stride reminds me of Lapin. Not saying he will be as good but he has the potential to gain meters with every possession. Of the three picked up mid season , he is the one I would keep. Yes I know McLauglin is contracted for next year.

Did someone say Coleman went in for a knee clean up. Will he be ready round 1?
Not sure I rush him or DooDee back into the side early

Yes happy officially Levi announced the Lions.. Hope we get Marshall as well.
I like to keep Beecken if we can
Spots going to be tight
The knee clean up is to remove any floating bits of bone or cartilage. It can also smooth off any rough edges on the cartilage itself. Reduces pain and discomfort.

Nothing to worry about, a good thing really. Recovery will be better, pain decreased and running will be easier. Shouldn't add any more time to recovery. Infact it may even shorten it once it's all clean. Probably also a good sign that all is healing well if they can go in and clean things up at this stage.

The knee clean up is to remove any floating bits of bone or cartilage. It can also smooth off any rough edges on the cartilage itself. Reduces pain and discomfort.

Nothing to worry about, a good thing really. Recovery will be better, pain decreased and running will be easier. Shouldn't add any more time to recovery. Infact it may even shorten it once it's all clean. Probably also a good sign that all is healing well if they can go in and clean things up at this stage.
Great to hear about Coleman's recovery is going well and hopefully it continues to go in a positive direction so he can be match fit for R1 (or Opening Round) next year.

Bit worried though that there has been no news recently on how Doedee, Gardiner and McCarthy have been tracking with their recovery from the ACL injuries :huh:

Bit worried though that there has been no news recently on how Doedee, Gardiner and McCarthy have been tracking with their recovery from the ACL injuries :huh:
You don't get many updates on how an ACL injured player is recovering tbh. Most of their time is spent off-field recovering or being involved with the club. Plus, Dizzy/Linc only did theirs like 3 months ago, so they still have a while to go yet

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back