List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get the justification for being ok with our season because of our own self inflicted start to the season
It isn't a justification, it's the reality. At our best, we're a top 8 team regularly, at our worst, we should still be playing finals or just missing the 8. Would it be better to see us make the GF again? 100%. But it's extremely unlikely to happen when have a poor start to the season with multiple injuries to players in our best 22

It isn't a justification, it's the reality. At our best, we're a top 8 team regularly, at our worst, we should still be playing finals or just missing the 8. Would it be better to see us make the GF again? 100%. But it's extremely unlikely to happen when have a poor start to the season with multiple injuries to players in our best 22
Us making the GF has nothing to do with the start of the season but everything to do with the past week when we had second in front of us for the taking. Would you be saying that if we won the past two weeks with the same injuries to players in our best 22. I doubt it.

Would you be saying that if we won the past two weeks with the same injuries to players in our best 22. I doubt it.
Yep, I would be. It's a thought I've held since the start of the season.

I do agree with you though, it's no one else's fault but the teams piss poor start to the season - for multiple reasons - that have allowed us to drop a top 4 finish last week and this week.

If we can get going into finals, with recovered injuries [Payne/Bruce] then we should be able to damage to Premiership teams.

Payne, as good as he is, tends to get injured at important times of the year unfortunately.
This is a bit of a left field idea, and I don't expect most people to agree. If the following are all true:
  1. We can't count on Payne to stay fit
  2. Finding another good mature KPD is difficult
  3. Our biggest hindrance right now is poor goalkicking
Then, could we be better off sending Hipwood to defence full-time and signing a player who is a very accurate kick for goal? I'm aware Gardiner will return and be able to cover for Payne, but I don't know if he's a premiership quality KPD, especially coming back from an ACL. And we really, really need someone who won't miss easy goals from 20m out, directly in front. It's killing us.

As to who is a very accurate kick, there have already been whispers that we're into Darcy Fogarty (OOC 2025), who has kicked 41.16 this year. A cheaper option would be Tim Membrey (UFA 2024), who has kicked 28.9 this season. Or if we're willing to take a flier on someone in the VFL (should the list spots be available), Liam McMahon from Carlton's VFL team is 198cm, 22 years old and has kicked 43.13 this season (including 7.0 against Geelong last week).

For comparison, Joe has kicked 49.42, Charlie 34.25, Hipwood 29.19, Rayner 25.17 and Kai 24.23 so far this year.

Last edited:
This is a bit of a left field idea, and I don't expect most people to agree. If the following are all true:
Then, could we be better off sending Hipwood to defence full-time and signing a player who is a very accurate kick for goal? I'm aware Gardiner will return and be able to cover for Payne, but I don't know if he's a premiership quality KPD, especially coming back from an ACL. And we really, really need someone who won't miss easy goals from 20m out, directly in front. It's killing us.

As to who is a very accurate kick, there have already been whispers that we're into Darcy Fogarty (OOC 2025), who has kicked 41.16 this year. A cheaper option would be Tim Membrey (UFA 2024), who has kicked 28.9 this season. Or if we're willing to take a flier on someone in the VFL (should the list spots be available), Liam McMahon from Carlton's VFL team is 198cm, 22 years old and has kicked 43.13 this season (including 7.0 against Geelong last week).

For comparison, Joe has kicked 49.42, Charlie 34.25, Hipwood 29.19, Rayner 25.17 and Kai 24.23 so far this year.

I think that idea can stay in left field

Need a forward that can take a mark down the line when we're trying the boundary kick. Oscar has brick hands and Daniher is only good 1 on 1. Hipwood never gives us that option and always crocodile snatches it with his hands.

We also need a burst player like John Noble or Max Holmes.

Going forward I'd look at bringing in another forward, turn Logan Morris into a big bodied midfielder and bring in a burst running defender with size.

Need a forward that can take a mark down the line when we're trying the boundary kick. Oscar has brick hands and Daniher is only good 1 on 1. Hipwood never gives us that option and always crocodile snatches it with his hands.

We also need a burst player like John Noble or Max Holmes.

Going forward I'd look at bringing in another forward, turn Logan Morris into a big bodied midfielder and bring in a burst running defender with size.

Anything else?

Not a reaction to yesterdays loss, but if there was one player I would consider trading to improve the list or to obtain a stronger draft position, it is Bailey.

Both Rayner and Bailey are cream on the cake type players. Thinking about how we can improve the team, I am not sure we can “carry” the two in our forward line. Both are great when we are on top but they seem to be the players that who are less effective in tight games. It could be argued that Joe and Hippy are the same, but we don’t have replacement key forwards.

I think criticism of Bailey’s defensive efforts are over stated, but it is definitely not a strength. I am thinking that we don’t lose much replacing him at half forward with Lascroft or a recovery McCarthy.

Just putting it out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a reaction to yesterdays loss, but if there was one player I would consider trading to improve the list or to obtain a stronger draft position, it is Bailey.

Both Rayner and Bailey are cream on the cake type players. Thinking about how we can improve the team, I am not sure we can “carry” the two in our forward line. Both are great when we are on top but they seem to be the players that who are less effective in tight games. It could be argued that Joe and Hippy are the same, but we don’t have replacement key forwards.

I think criticism of Bailey’s defensive efforts are over stated, but it is definitely not a strength. I am thinking that we don’t lose much replacing him at half forward with Lascroft or a recovery McCarthy.

Just putting it out there.
Yeah I wouldn’t be against trading Bailey. I get he’s out of form but his lack of awareness / poor tackling ability has never really improved.

I say this only if we were replacing him with another best 22 player from another team. For a speculative shiny new draft pick it wouldn’t be worth it.

He would be one of a few though who may actually be worth something to another team, whilst he appears to have stagnated with us.

Time to start gearing towards a rebuild

One quick question - how do you rebuild when you already have a top 3 pick father son coming, a likely second round academy player, and another academy player next year who could be a top 15 pick?

Unless we'd gone the Briztoon route and totally tanked and finished bottom 2/3, there's no chance we'd have gotten in a pick before Levi is bid on.

Yes, please offer your own diagnosis of what our issues are and how we could fix them, so we can all condescendingly sneer at your opinion in return.
I think we are lacking pace through the midfield, none of our midfield regulars are noted speed demons and neither are Levi Ashcroft or Sam Marshall, not sure on Daniel Annable's pace or lack thereof.

I can not see a solution to it over the next few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back