List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a bit of a left field idea, and I don't expect most people to agree. If the following are all true:
  1. We can't count on Payne to stay fit
  2. Finding another good mature KPD is difficult
  3. Our biggest hindrance right now is poor goalkicking
Then, could we be better off sending Hipwood to defence full-time and signing a player who is a very accurate kick for goal? I'm aware Gardiner will return and be able to cover for Payne, but I don't know if he's a premiership quality KPD, especially coming back from an ACL. And we really, really need someone who won't miss easy goals from 20m out, directly in front. It's killing us.

As to who is a very accurate kick, there have already been whispers that we're into Darcy Fogarty (OOC 2025), who has kicked 41.16 this year. A cheaper option would be Tim Membrey (UFA 2024), who has kicked 28.9 this season. Or if we're willing to take a flier on someone in the VFL (should the list spots be available), Liam McMahon from Carlton's VFL team is 198cm, 22 years old and has kicked 43.13 this season (including 7.0 against Geelong last week).

For comparison, Joe has kicked 49.42, Charlie 34.25, Hipwood 29.19, Rayner 25.17 and Kai 24.23 so far this year.

This ... And we really, really need someone who won't miss easy goals from 20m out, directly in front. It's killing us.

The loss of McCarthy is is killing us. Always confident that he could nail the easy ones.

This ... And we really, really need someone who won't miss easy goals from 20m out, directly in front. It's killing us.

The loss of McCarthy is is killing us. Always confident that he could nail the easy ones.

Hipwood has been pretty good with the easy ones this year IIRC. Better than Joe, Charlie and Rayner I think

Always been keen on John Noble. Good get by the Suns

Petracca possibly to request a trade to Carlton, Collingwood or Brisbane someone 'close to him' reported on SEN this morning..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always been keen on John Noble. Good get by the Suns

Depends on if he gets there. If it doesn’t work out, wouldn’t mind him coming to us.

I’m a bit confused on the reason though, he’s from SA and is moving up here for family. Does Nobes and his family still live in QLD?

Petracca possibly to request a trade to Carlton, Collingwood or Brisbane someone 'close to him' reported on SEN this morning..

Will not happen if it’s us, even if it was legit, we simply do not have the capital. Only player he’d replace is Bailey or Rayner - neither of which I’ve give up for a guy who has 4 years max left in the game.

Where did you see that? All the rumours I’ve seen have been Pies or Blues.

The thing is if he officially requested a trade there would be buy in from the club in agreement with his manager that they could get a trade done. I can’t see Pies or Lions committing to that with no assets to get a deal done. And I’d put the Blues in the same boat unless they were willing to trade out a McKay or Cerra for more collateral.

Depends on if he gets there. If it doesn’t work out, wouldn’t mind him coming to us.

I’m a bit confused on the reason though, he’s from SA and is moving up here for family. Does Nobes and his family still live in QLD?

Will not happen if it’s us, even if it was legit, we simply do not have the capital. Only player he’d replace is Bailey or Rayner - neither of which I’ve give up for a guy who has 4 years max left in the game.
Noble’s twin brother lives up here apparently.

Where did you see that? All the rumours I’ve seen have been Pies or Blues.

The thing is if he officially requested a trade there would be buy in from the club in agreement with his manager that they could get a trade done. I can’t see Pies or Lions committing to that with no assets to get a deal done. And I’d put the Blues in the same boat unless they were willing to trade out a McKay or Cerra for more collateral.
Heard it first on Breakfast with Gary & Tim this morning.

Petracca to Brisbane just doesn't fit lol. He's the most Victorian lad I've seen.
Good mates with Neale, eager for a fresh start, loves Noosa, wants to go to a contender and compete for flags. A few reasons that would sway him if he was open to leaving Vic.

In saying that, zero chance he joins the Lions. I think he’d prefer to stay in Vic and even if he were open to a move, we cannot trade for him due to both salary cap constraints and having no assets that would convince the Demons to part ways with him.

I don't think there is but is there a player that others think if offered as part of a trade for Petracca who would spark a bit of discussion/interest from the Demons?

The unlikely to happen proviso is that the Lions player was open to the move, would never force anyone out.

Petracca to the Lions?
1724746510276.png

I don't think there is but is there a player that others think if offered as part of a trade for Petracca who would spark a bit of discussion/interest from the Demons?

The unlikely to happen proviso is that the Lions player was open to the move, would never force anyone out.

Petracca to the Lions?
View attachment 2093762
Rayner or Bailey probably would.

Cam doesn’t strike me as a guy who will ever leave, although he’s a pre agent this year so I guess the club would have a better idea as to if he has any thoughts on returning home.

Bailey has been well down on form this year, but probably still spikes the interest of teams given his history and what he could become.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they asked about Motty and/or Logan either but again I think the club would be reluctant on either of those two unless they were unanimous in wanting out themselves too.

Basically there would be players that other clubs would have interest in for big trades like that, but as you say they’d have to want to move themselves.

The thing that would stop us even being able to have a discussion is our geography. No way would Petracca want to play in Brisbane.

Rayner or Bailey probably would.

Cam doesn’t strike me as a guy who will ever leave, although he’s a pre agent this year so I guess the club would have a better idea as to if he has any thoughts on returning home.

Bailey has been well down on form this year, but probably still spikes the interest of teams given his history and what he could become.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they asked about Motty and/or Logan either but again I think the club would be reluctant on either of those two unless they were unanimous in wanting out themselves too.

Basically there would be players that other clubs would have interest in for big trades like that, but as you say they’d have to want to move themselves.

The thing that would stop us even being able to have a discussion is our geography. No way would Petracca want to play in Brisbane.
I know only turning 29 early next year but his age and his horrific injury would have me ultra cautious about us even being interested.

Our team is already so close to winning the flag, is Petracca going to solve our two way running and goal kicking accuracy issues? We are getting LAshcroft and Marshall already, is he worth us potentially causing disharmony in the playing group by asking some of them if they want to leave given potentially, our next premiership side is already at the club?

Hipwood has been pretty good with the easy ones this year IIRC. Better than Joe, Charlie and Rayner I think
Let's test that using shot charts for 2024 from the excellent Wheelo Ratings.

Eric Hipwood
1000011104.png
1000011103.png
Hippy has been excellent kicking for goal in the corridor (23 goals from 33 shots, 70%) and abysmal from the pockets (7 from 27, 26%). He has butchered a few in the corridor from 30-40m out, but still fairly accurate provided he's relatively straight on.

Joe Daniher
1000011107.png
1000011106.png
Joe has been a good kick from within about 25m in the corridor, and then just falls off a cliff after that. He's still been more accurate from the corridor (27 from 56, 48%) than the pockets (23 from 56, 41%) but he's been far better from the pockets than everyone else in the top 5 for shots at goal.

Charlie Cameron
1000011108.png

1000011109.png
Charlie's not having the best year by his standards. He's screwed up a lot of shots in the corridor (kicked 22 from 42, 52%). Yes he's been good within 20m but any good forward drills those. He's been better from the left flank (9 from 18, 50%) than from the right (5 from 18, 28%) but it's very rocks and diamonds, 6 of the 18 from the left flank don't score.

Kai Lohmann
1000011111.png
1000011112.png
Kai has been pretty good in the corridor (18 from 28, 64%), but he has this one patch 30m out directly in front where he's kicked 0.5. Needs practice from that spot. Similarly poor from the pockets as Hippy (9 from 31, 29%).

Cam Rayner
1000011113.png
1000011114.png
Cam's done alright in the corridor (18 from 30, 60%). A few screw ups around 30m, but decent for someone who isn't a full-time forward. He's more accurate from the pockets than Hippy or Kai (7 from 19, 37%), and there's one spot 40m out on the left flank where he's been quite good, though the sample size is small. It also isn't replicated in past years so maybe it's just a fluke.

How have they done in the past?

Since Kai didn't play many games before this year, I've substituted him with Linc McCarthy and Zac Bailey. From 2021-23,

Corridor
Hippy: 53 from 85 (62%)
Joe: 86 from 147 (59%)
Charlie: 111 from 150 (74%)
Zac: 68 from 112 (61%)
Linc: 63 from 89 (71%)
Cam: 30 from 59 (51%)

Pockets
Hippy: 39 from 98 (40%)
Joe: 60 from 138 (43%)
Charlie: 57 from 145 (39%)
Zac: 29 from 65 (45%)
Linc: 36 from 73 (49%)
Cam: 17 from 48 (25%)

Conclusion
Yes, Hipwood is indeed not the main culprit for poor kicking from in front. He's outperforming his three year average from the corridor, though he's doing much worse from the pockets. Rayner is also having a decent year in front of goal by his standards.

The problem is Joe hasn't been converting from 25m+ (and takes too many dumb shots in general), Charlie's had an underwhelming season and we're missing Linc's accuracy.

1000011115.png

So how do we improve? Maybe we need to instruct Hipwood not to leave the corridor and Joe to stop taking so many long shots for goal. And get Kai to practice from that one spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back