List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are lacking pace through the midfield, none of our midfield regulars are noted speed demons and neither are Levi Ashcroft or Sam Marshall, not sure on Daniel Annable's pace or lack thereof.

I can not see a solution to it over the next few years.
I suppose it isn't impossible to find a speedy midfielder with a later pick, since Geelong got Holmes at pick 20. But yes, we're kinda stuck for the next few years. Maybe we can convert a small forward into a midfielder somewhere.

I suppose it isn't impossible to find a speedy midfielder with a later pick, since Geelong got Holmes at pick 20. But yes, we're kinda stuck for the next few years. Maybe we can convert a small forward into a midfielder somewhere.
Zac Bailey was supposed to be it but he is not.

Lohmann is so bloody good up forward but he would make a damn fine 1st string winger who can run long and quick IMO, pretty good contested game as well.

I think we are lacking pace through the midfield, none of our midfield regulars are noted speed demons and neither are Levi Ashcroft or Sam Marshall, not sure on Daniel Annable's pace or lack thereof.

I can not see a solution to it over the next few years.
As the game v GWS showed when we were destroyed by one very speedy small we need a real injection of pace pace pace.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

This is a bit of a left field idea, and I don't expect most people to agree. If the following are all true:
  1. We can't count on Payne to stay fit
  2. Finding another good mature KPD is difficult
  3. Our biggest hindrance right now is poor goalkicking
Then, could we be better off sending Hipwood to defence full-time and signing a player who is a very accurate kick for goal? I'm aware Gardiner will return and be able to cover for Payne, but I don't know if he's a premiership quality KPD, especially coming back from an ACL. And we really, really need someone who won't miss easy goals from 20m out, directly in front. It's killing us.

As to who is a very accurate kick, there have already been whispers that we're into Darcy Fogarty (OOC 2025), who has kicked 41.16 this year. A cheaper option would be Tim Membrey (UFA 2024), who has kicked 28.9 this season. Or if we're willing to take a flier on someone in the VFL (should the list spots be available), Liam McMahon from Carlton's VFL team is 198cm, 22 years old and has kicked 43.13 this season (including 7.0 against Geelong last week).

For comparison, Joe has kicked 49.42, Charlie 34.25, Hipwood 29.19, Rayner 25.17 and Kai 24.23 so far this year.

Yep, I really like this idea. Hipwood is in the books till 2029 and we could make a strong pairing with Andrews. This way there is less reliance on Payne/Joyce and they can come in to play third tall whenever needed. Lester can do the medium defender playing on mid-sized forwards or smalls.

I believe it also opens up a spot for someone like Luke Lloyd, who was an accurate kick during draft year. Daniher, Morris, Lloyd might be a bit green/undersized but if we can't get anyone mature - I won't be averse to trying the next draftee. Hipwood can swing forward during games and we can hopefully swap Lloyd or Morris with him.

On a similar vein, I'd look at our small defenders - both lockdown and rebound. We need more pace than what we have currently. I'd look at making Wilmot the backline general, play both Brain and Beecken for rebound. We need runners who can go for a gallop towards wing and kick long. Zorko should be sub next year and hopefully Kiddy comes back.

2 losses and somehow Hipwood didn't play terribly down back against the Suns???

With zero backline exposure, he did what he can on that round. But you give him one pre-season down there with Andrews in tow, he'll be a much better player.

Or here's the alternate - don't do anything, don't make even any positional changes and pray for a miracle in 2025. Good luck with that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With zero backline exposure, he did what he can on that round. But you give him one pre-season down there with Andrews in tow, he'll be a much better player.

Or here's the alternate - don't do anything, don't make even any positional changes and pray for a miracle in 2025. Good luck with that one.

Am I the only one who thinks we've defended well this year. Top 2-3 for points against, significantly better than last year.

Plus we have Doedee, Dizzy and Kiddy back and hopefully an in form McKenna

We could also focus on what went well this year and Hipwood was a big part of us winning 9 in a row

With zero backline exposure, he did what he can on that round.
But you give him one pre-season down there with Andrews in tow, he'll be a much better player.
The problem with moving Eric down back is we have literally no key forward depth, so we’d be exposing that even more.

I think Smith will be a solid ruck who can push forward, whilst Logan / Lloyd strike me more as the third tall type. I can’t see Ryan making it at all.

I actually think our key forward depth is worse than our key backs, it’s just this year we’ve struck out in the key back area, whilst until recently (touch wood) Joe and Eric have been pretty durable, so we haven’t needed anyone else to play their role.

It’s for this reason I hope we have someone lined up in the next year or two to take over from Joe.

I’d back us in to get 2 of Payne, Gardiner and Doedee right next year.

Think that is a bit easier than Hippy reinventing himself as a defender.

I’d back us in to get 2 of Payne, Gardiner and Doedee right next year.

Think that is a bit easier than Hippy reinventing himself as a defender.
Fairly sure KPD has been identified as a need for us . And KPP's in general.

I'd be really surprised if Dizz or Doedee made it back in time to have much impact next year seeing half the year will be over before they're ready ,that's before you worry about what shape they're in.

I've got not much confidence we can get Payne's foot right until I see him come out and do something , but we should know more about that this year at least.

This is a bit of a left field idea, and I don't expect most people to agree. If the following are all true:
  1. We can't count on Payne to stay fit
  2. Finding another good mature KPD is difficult
  3. Our biggest hindrance right now is poor goalkicking
Then, could we be better off sending Hipwood to defence full-time and signing a player who is a very accurate kick for goal? I'm aware Gardiner will return and be able to cover for Payne, but I don't know if he's a premiership quality KPD, especially coming back from an ACL. And we really, really need someone who won't miss easy goals from 20m out, directly in front. It's killing us.

As to who is a very accurate kick, there have already been whispers that we're into Darcy Fogarty (OOC 2025), who has kicked 41.16 this year. A cheaper option would be Tim Membrey (UFA 2024), who has kicked 28.9 this season. Or if we're willing to take a flier on someone in the VFL (should the list spots be available), Liam McMahon from Carlton's VFL team is 198cm, 22 years old and has kicked 43.13 this season (including 7.0 against Geelong last week).

For comparison, Joe has kicked 49.42, Charlie 34.25, Hipwood 29.19, Rayner 25.17 and Kai 24.23 so far this year.
Good thing we brought in Brandon Ryan.

Ridiculous trade now in hindsight, even if we did return Gunston.

It definitely couldn't hurt to add some more speed to the squad around the ground - even more so in the midfield.
My pet project though with our team (well any sporting team really) - would be some sort of mental awareness/mindfulness coach. At times our players seem to lack awareness or mindfulness of their surroundings (I do understand that the footy field is a busy place in the thick of the game)

The thing is that you see the great teams maintain mindfulness and awareness of their surroundings and their teammates in the thick of the action. Less selfish behaviours and more selflessness behaviours to make everyone succeed.

Apologies for drifting from the topic of "List Management" - but mindfulness/awareness is my number one pet peeve with any AFL team when I watch it on the TV.

Key position depth important but I still think that high half forward role is critical for us. Our options are all similar in that they aren’t great with defensive pressure and get a bit lost coming up at stoppage.

A Neal-Bullen or Brent Daniels type. Running machines that can tackle but have good forward craft.

Levi will probably start in this role.

Key position depth important but I still think that high half forward role is critical for us. Our options are all similar in that they aren’t great with defensive pressure and get a bit lost coming up at stoppage.

A Neal-Bullen or Brent Daniels type. Running machines that can tackle but have good forward craft.

Levi will probably start in this role.

Levi IS that guy.

We are going to be better for it in terms of depth next year, but hopefully we won't have to rely on so much of it all at once next season. It'd be better in bits here and there rather than having to roll it out basically the entire season. We think of Jaspa and Wilmott as being core senior players because of how quickly they've come on but they're our youf. And if you surround them with a lot of other youf and fringe players it becomes harder and harder for everyone.

Can't do much about it. Gunston wanted out and didn't like our style of footy.
Yeah, I’m saying about bringing Ryan in, not keeping Gunston. He wanted out, fair enough, but just trade him out, not for some bog average park player who is now occupying a list spot for 3 years.

A bit like Fullerton at Melbourne. Don’t bring in guys when no one rates them which it’s pretty evident we don’t with Ryan.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back