List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If my name was Darcy Fort, I'd by tapping Fages on the shoulder and saying 'Boss, I want to be a two time premier, and I want to do it alongside Oscar. Let me put in a massive pre season and let me be the one to fill Joe's shoes.'

He's got the height and the supporting ruck ability. If he can increase his tank and his running abilities, I think he could be a better solution than any stop gap.

If my name was Darcy Fort, I'd by tapping Fages on the shoulder and saying 'Boss, I want to be a two time premier, and I want to do it alongside Oscar. Let me put in a massive pre season and let me be the one to fill Joe's shoes.'

He's got the height and the supporting ruck ability. If he can increase his tank and his running abilities, I think he could be a better solution than any stop gap.
I agree. Very happy to go with fort next year. Oscar isn't getting any younger, and I think could develop into a formidable ruck/resting forward combo.

Fort will be hungry to do that. If it were me and I won a premiership filling in for an injured player then the next seasons I would want one contributing all year. Feels more fulfilling.

putting aside my reservations with hipwood being our #1 kpf after battling OP....

i dont think we can go in to next year expecting morris to be ready to be a #2. this year hes had the luxury of largely matching up on third talls who play unaccountable and are generally his height if not a bit shorter. asking him to play on the paynes of the afl world is a large step up and i fear could end up stifling his development.

will be a great piece for us for a long time but people are putting a lot of expectation on a kid in a position most players dont impact in until theyre into their fourth or fifth season.

Lots of options to replace Joe internally, even if we don't bring a single player through the doors in the trade period (which I suspect we will).

- Henry Smith - Likely would get first crack at it, looked alright this year when he got a few games, and can play ruck. Won't be anywhere near Joe's output, but will give the same structure.

- Fort/Oscar - Playing both of the rucks could definitely work, both have shown some forward craft at various stages, and both are quality rucks. Again, not quite the same as Joe, but no reason why it couldn't work. Freo do it with LJax/Darcy, and I think we could do something similar as our 2 as probably both have as much if not more forward craft than either of them.

- Brandon Ryan - Was recruited to be the 3rd tall, was he not? And can play ruck as well. Make or break year for him regardless. Despite how disappointing he was this year, he showed too much during his short time at the Hawks for me to say he's cooked.

- Gardiner - Can't ruck, but will give the '3 tall structure'. As much as I hate to say it, he wasn't terrible in the role before going down with the knee earlier this year. I feel he should be the last resort though.

- No-one - Could just play with Hippy at 1, Morris 2, with a host of smalls (bolstered by Linc) underneath. Would be a bit of a restructure, and Hipwood or Dunkley would likely need to be the pitch ruck though.

- Andrews/Payne/Doedee forward (possibly with Gardiner in defence?) - The most left-field option. I'd hate to see any of the 3 moved forward, but wouldn't surprise me if they experimented with it over the summer.

The club knows they won't be able to sell the farm to get an ideal like-for-like in the door due to needing points for Levi/Marshall. As good as it would be to get a McKay/Allen, realistcally I can't see it happening. I think the best 2 options, provided a reasonable deal could be struck, would be 2MP at Essendon or TJ Lynch at Richmond; snag one of them for a pick in the 30s with us essentially giving them Joe's salary and I'd be happy with that. All else fails, pick up Membrey as a DFA, at least for some depth if he's not in the starting 23.

putting aside my reservations with hipwood being our #1 kpf after battling OP....

i dont think we can go in to next year expecting morris to be ready to be a #2. this year hes had the luxury of largely matching up on third talls who play unaccountable and are generally his height if not a bit shorter. asking him to play on the paynes of the afl world is a large step up and i fear could end up stifling his development.

will be a great piece for us for a long time but people are putting a lot of expectation on a kid in a position most players dont impact in until theyre into their fourth or fifth season.

Yep

We are in our window, and the club will 100% have to bring someone in. Who it is, I am not sure, but I can't wait to find out. I'll be happy with anyone, whether its Casboult, Lynch or Membrey. We need someone, and any of them can slot right in, and may not be able to replace Daniher with 60 goals, but will put more goals on the board than what a Henry Smith will do.

Yep

We are in our window, and the club will 100% have to bring someone in. Who it is, I am not sure, but I can't wait to find out. I'll be happy with anyone, whether its Casboult, Lynch or Membrey. We need someone, and any of them can slot right in, and may not be able to replace Daniher with 60 goals, but will put more goals on the board than what a Henry Smith will do.
Wonder if the club will positively support the push for 5 on the bench now.

If so, reckon the rule will greatly influence Fort or Smith coming back in our side as the 2nd pure ruckman so we can then just play a pure full-forward without them needing to do much rucking like Taberner, Casboult, Lynch, Day or Membrey.

Wonder if the club will positively support the push for 5 on the bench now.

If so, reckon the rule will greatly influence Fort or Smith coming back in our side as the 2nd pure ruckman so we can then just play a pure full-forward without them needing to do much rucking like Taberner, Casboult, Lynch, Day or Membrey.

Five on the bench suits us big time. If it's five on the bench then you just need someone for a year or two to play up forward, and play Smith on the bench each week and build him into it.

Inside Trading

RACE FOR PICK 13 GETS HOTTER
Meanwhile, clubs still have Richmond regarded as the favourite for the first-round pick being auctioned – Brisbane's No.20 choice. The Lions are chasing draft points to match bids on father-son Levi Ashcroft and Academy midfielder Sam Marshall.

Hi guys - I hope you don't mind the intrusion.

I doubt it happens, but if Lynch (plus a big chunk of his salary for 1 year) went to Brisbane, do you have a player that might be a good fit for us (needs to be under 25)?
Dev Robertson. James Tunstill. Jaxon Prior.

Dev Robertson. James Tunstill. Jaxon Prior.

I agree that would be the best we could offer and I think Dev, Prior would probably play every game for the tigers. But why would they trade Lynch for them?
How much do you think they are worth, Briz? A second round pick? Jason is out of contract and if Dev wants opportunity, we wouldn’t stand in his way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’ll get plenty of footy next season that’s for sure but I reckon we will be hoping Smith kicks on a bit. We will need Hipwood to really step up though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't really like Fort playing as a 2nd ruck. He is purely a ruck and not a forward.
Because Jo retired and we have no draft capital to get someone close to his ability we preferably need a forward ruck.
We also need a KPF with some ability. Get whoever we can.
Hippy and Morris won't get it done up forward without another tall getting reasonable minutes forward.

Don't forget a 5-man bench will favor other clubs too.
A lot of teams run with one ruck and one relief, but they did not lose a ruck relief like Jo.
What they will do is have an extra midfielder on the bench to give them more run.
We probably won't be able to do that and the last thing a team needs is an extra pure ruck on the bench

Oh to have Tommy Fullerton sitting on our list as back up. He went off to Melbourne, never played a game in his first year and now Melbourne are chasing a ruckman to help Gawn out looks like another year without a look in. At least he had more opportunity at Brisbane and while we play around with combination could have helped out.

Lots of options to replace Joe internally, even if we don't bring a single player through the doors in the trade period (which I suspect we will).

- Henry Smith - Likely would get first crack at it, looked alright this year when he got a few games, and can play ruck. Won't be anywhere near Joe's output, but will give the same structure.

- Fort/Oscar - Playing both of the rucks could definitely work, both have shown some forward craft at various stages, and both are quality rucks. Again, not quite the same as Joe, but no reason why it couldn't work. Freo do it with LJax/Darcy, and I think we could do something similar as our 2 as probably both have as much if not more forward craft than either of them.

- Brandon Ryan - Was recruited to be the 3rd tall, was he not? And can play ruck as well. Make or break year for him regardless. Despite how disappointing he was this year, he showed too much during his short time at the Hawks for me to say he's cooked.

- Gardiner - Can't ruck, but will give the '3 tall structure'. As much as I hate to say it, he wasn't terrible in the role before going down with the knee earlier this year. I feel he should be the last resort though.

- No-one - Could just play with Hippy at 1, Morris 2, with a host of smalls (bolstered by Linc) underneath. Would be a bit of a restructure, and Hipwood or Dunkley would likely need to be the pitch ruck though.

- Andrews/Payne/Doedee forward (possibly with Gardiner in defence?) - The most left-field option. I'd hate to see any of the 3 moved forward, but wouldn't surprise me if they experimented with it over the summer.

The club knows they won't be able to sell the farm to get an ideal like-for-like in the door due to needing points for Levi/Marshall. As good as it would be to get a McKay/Allen, realistcally I can't see it happening. I think the best 2 options, provided a reasonable deal could be struck, would be 2MP at Essendon or TJ Lynch at Richmond; snag one of them for a pick in the 30s with us essentially giving them Joe's salary and I'd be happy with that. All else fails, pick up Membrey as a DFA, at least for some depth if he's not in the starting 23.

Personally, I agree with Fish that Joe's salary would be better off being spent towards getting a couple of heavily front ended deals done for Berry and McCluggage and hmm say Raynor and leave the chase for another forward for the year after. Get all our ducks in a row so to speak.

Oh to have Tommy Fullerton sitting on our list as back up. He went off to Melbourne, never played a game in his first year and now Melbourne are chasing a ruckman to help Gawn out looks like another year without a look in. At least he had more opportunity at Brisbane and while we play around with combination could have helped out.

Part of that is degenerate goodie, played petty in the ruck and at FF for sweet fa

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back