List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith is going to be a very solid, AFL standard ruck - based on his VFL form and glimpses when called up during the year. However, very few genuine rucks have good forward craft in general and I think it would be unfair to expect Smith to be a big contributor on that front.

In my opinion Smith certainly has a future, but it will be as Oscar's replacement, not Joe's.

Our players all need a second string. I have no doubt that he is also developing his forward or back skills. Might not be going great, but learning.

Thought this was a very interesting piece from 2015 in relation to what we're facing now:

How the Hawks were helped by losing their Buddy

I feel that's relevant to us this year. We didn't lose a marquee player, but we did realign the team.

I believe that the team we had at the start of the year would not have won the premiership.

So I'm not scared of losing Joe. Sure the team will look different because Joe going leaves an unfillable like for like replacement hole but the coaches will get creative and players will step up just like they did this year.

As we saw this year, different does not always mean worse.

Last edited:

My mate who is a cats supporter said why not ask Tom Hawkins you want to go around. Bath him in the Brisbane river and get a year out of him.

Can Ruck forward not sure body cooked . Would take some pressure of morris with defenders
BREAKING: Tom Hawkins taken by bull shark! News at 10!

Up next, Miles's plan to hold the triathlon in the Brisbane River and out to QSAC endorsed by John Coates.

My understanding is that Dom does contract negotiations and salary cap management too - but sits under Danny Daly who has oversight of both list management and the draft.

In previous trade periods they've referenced a list management committee including at least Danny, Dom, Fages and Steve Conole to go through the strategy for trade period. Gregg Swann might sit on that one as well if they still have the same structure.

Conole focuses on draftee talent analysis.

Dom looks broadly at list management, which includes contracts and salary cap but also draft pick management including (in a non-rort year) targeting certain picks for certain players identified by Conole and ratified by the team, e.g. the Bailey and Starcevich year we wanted picks within certain ranges for those two or maybe one or two others who may be sliding.

Daly is more of an all-of-house view, combining both on and off field components. He'd be the main touchstone with Fagan who obviously has other work on his plate on a day to day basis and would (speculative, based off standard organisational practice) act as a filter between the two so that only important information makes it across.

I think Swann was a lot more hands on earlier in our run, but now that we've had stability and success with the same team in place for such an extended period (Dom joined in 2017, though technically Danny got promoted into his role in 2020) he's moved himself out of the room other than in exceptional circumstances. That's just my impression though.

I didn’t really rate Gardiner up forward. He just doesn’t have the instincts and has slow reaction times once it hits the deck.

I do think the one thing he could manage would be to play on the opposition’s best defender / intercepter each week. He’d be committed at the role and can halve a contest. So for example we would play him on McCartin, Taylor, Stewart etc.

We have 2 big things Joe gave us apart from the goals - taking the best defender and ruck minutes. On our current list Gardiner could do the former well. Fort and Smith could do the latter well.

The big problem i see if we go with Membrey or Gardiner or similar, is if Oscar goes down in a final with that side we are in a world of pain. As least Joe was a back-up.

So on that basis i think it has to be someone who can genuinely ruck, even if it’s McStay level ruck. For or Smith on our current list. Kreuger or Hayes not on our list.

I am starting to think Joe’s replacement will be Fort or Smith, but we’ll recruit say Membrey as back-up to hippy and morris. Because we don’t really have a back-up for them.

Not sure it was emphatically as he no word from Hawthorne or Brisbane to back it up - he is probably right though.

"He's pretty settled at Hawthorn."

I think sometimes we forget that the player actually has to want to come to you. In addition to us having no assets to trade for him as well.

"He's pretty settled at Hawthorn."

I think sometimes we forget that the player actually has to want to come to you. In addition to us having no assets to trade for him as well.

We can trade our future first pretty comfortably, trade back our current first and maybe Dev and Prior for points this year then trade our 2026 first into 2025 next year for Annable if we need to

Would you call that emphatically shutting that down? I thought it was more of an opinion piece as to why we wouldn’t be keen because of the ACL. He then says it’s interesting nonetheless.

Its as emphatic as it needed to be given that the Lewis thing was never reported by a single journalist and was sourced from Bigfooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does irk me that the likes of Browny and lesser extent Buckley, who is sympathetic to and is all about equality, don't have a go at the prick in any of the footy shows or even off camera b/c the campaigner just goes non-Victorian teams all the time.

This is how you lose a career in AFL media. Once you start going after others publicly, that's it. Casters don't want to deal with it. This isn't the NBA where media jobs are a dime a dozen.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back