List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Iā€™d say we are 80% there and on a good day, 80% could be enough.

For me, we need more speed around the ground and a more dynamic forward line. Yes of course we probably need another key back but if we had a midfield that denied the opposition 2 goals a game and we had a more dynamic forward line that created 2 more goals, I think we donā€™t lose too many games throughout the season.

Big key for me is that many of our small forwards donā€™t contribute enough and donā€™t go through the midfield. Owies, Durdin, Motlop just donā€™t get usually more that 10 possessions a game which leaves too much to too few.

If we could somehow draft Berry and Hotton this year, this would change up our forward line dynamic. People will say they are 1st year players so wonā€™t play which could be true but I think both could in 2025.

I also think we need to change the midfield dynamic. Too slow and DE needs to improve. We need to run through teams but also cut them to pieces with our kicking when momentum changes. Iā€™m not sure how to change this immediately. Maybe it stems a bit from our half backs also. Houston would be a welcome addition but doubt itā€™s possible to get him.

Role players who want to take the game on is what we need and less 1 million a year contracts. Iā€™m a fan of Conor Stone who is stated as a forward but has played some impressive midfield minutes in gwsā€™s 2nds and maybe Garcia from the dogs could be a cheap option. Looks pretty good also in the 2nds in the midfield but again, seen as a forward.

We are close but as to how close comes down to too many factors.

I agree with most of this HCJ. The small forwards are a big issue. Like you say, they are very low possession players and seem to lack the footy IQ for the right positioning to get themselves involved in the play. They never play like crumbing forwards and hit the contest at speed. With two big key forwards they should be cashing in at their feet. Owies is a lead up forward more than a small and it looks like heā€™s gone being out of contract and with a list squeeze. The other two donā€™t play like small forwards at all. We need to make calls on those guys and fix that area as you canā€™t carry too many low possession players.

The midfield could do with someone more dynamic to go through there at times, but I do think the whole we are too slow through the middle is a bit over exaggerated. Itā€™s more our disposal efficiency coming out of stoppage and how we set up in there. We are so leaky. Just look at the Collingwood game how we all set up defensive side and let Daicos run through. Rinse and repeat with Higgins. Fix the set ups. Speed of ball movement comes from the mentality to move it on quickly. A ball travels faster than legs can run. Itā€™s about our running patterns and footy IQ and making the ground big. When the ground is big and thereā€™s space itā€™s easier to hit targets too. We often get lazy and donā€™t run to create space, instead settling for the long kick down the line and hoping Harry bails us out. The game plan definitely needs tinkering at the end of the year.

A key back is needed. An upgrade on Lewis Young. Although youā€™d think weā€™d keep Lewis as the backup with S Durds likely gone. Whilst heā€™s not a world beater, he structurally makes us look so much better than having Weitering and two undersized in Gov and Kemp. Too often I think we make Saad have to be too defensively minded and he loses his run and carry. None of our half backs are run and carry types or particularly deadly by foot. Saad defensive minded. Newman defensive minded. Cowan defensive minded. Boyd has potential but plays too safe and is prone to some shocking mental lapses. Iā€™ve liked the move of Ollie back there. I can see why we have interest in Houston.

So basically we need in order of preference:
*Genuine KPD with height and mobility.
*Small forward who actually plays like one.
*Half-back with run, carry and deadly foot skills.
*Midfielder with some leg speed

We can get the job done by just addressing the first two I reckon so long as we fix up our stoppage work and our running patterns.

No doubt we lack the small forward talent of a Hawthorn, Geelong and other top 8 teams, that bring the manic pressure, have x-factor and kick goalsā€¦

We showed that manic pressure, once against Geelong, then it all faded awayā€¦

IMO 2x Speedy x-factor small forwards are the greatest area of need, then speed in midfield and a KPD equal secondā€¦

More pressure in the midfield/forward line, plus better defensive structures would absolutely help our defence as much as a cheap KPDā€¦

Though lowering our eyes going inside 50, like West Coast game would give our small forwards more opportunity..

Hawthorn also showed along with their small forwards, the importance of fast ball movement with excellent foot skills and decision makingā€¦

Last edited:
No doubt we lack the small forward talent of a Hawthorn, Geelong and other top 8 teams, that bring the manic pressure, have x-factor and kick goalsā€¦

IMO 2x Speedy x-factor small forwards are the greatest area of need, then speed in midfield and a KPD equal secondā€¦

More pressure in the midfield/forward line, plus better defensive structures would absolutely help our defence as much as a cheap KPDā€¦

Though lowering our eyes going inside 50, like West Coast game would give our small forwards more opportunity..

Hawthorn also showed along with their small forwards, the importance of fast ball movement with excellent foot skills and decision makingā€¦
When our pressure is high up the field our defensive flaws generally get covered over. I agree that we do need a 2nd KPD, though I have my doubts over our ability to get a high quality one with the draft picks and cap space we have.

2 electric small forwards and some more run through the midfield would likely provide enough pressure and added scoring opportunities that the need for an extra KPD wouldn't be as great.

Look at Sydney with McCartin, he's got Rampe, Blakey and Melican who are all undersized helping him out with the talls but because their midfields so good it doesn't make a huge difference.

We need about 20 blokes with just a little bit of ticka as we only have 2 - Cripps and Weiters.
New coach as well would be good. Match committee has lost us at least 6 games alone this yearā€¦ TDK sub fmd. What a joke

One of Cerra, Hewett or Kennedy need to be traded.
Need a burst outside midfielder.
Zac Butters or Bailey Smith type.

Hawthorns trading/drafting last year, gives me confidence that we can add the missing pieces quickly, if we are aggressive and target the right players.

Hawthorns trading/drafting last year, gives me confidence that we can add the missing pieces quickly, if we are aggressive and target the right players.
While I do get emotional from time to time I think I said at the start of the year we're still 3-4 pick ups away. Still think thats true.

The rest of the pieces need some more development and another pre season or two in the gym - Cowan, Ollie, Wilson, Moir etc.

The most important off season for this club in 20 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of Cerra, Hewett or Kennedy need to be traded.
Need a burst outside midfielder.
Zac Butters or Bailey Smith type.

Wonā€™t be Hewittā€¦..

Kennedy might request one after tonightā€¦was absolutely filthy

Motlop, Durdin, Orazio, Owies

Name me 4 worse small forwards in the competition.

Not the only issues we had out there tonight and Owies was suspended but dear god every teams half forwards put us to the sword time and time again while ours weave daisy chains and trip over their own arses

Imagine oppo coaches doing analysis on our small forwardsā€¦theyā€™d laugh for hours

Seeing Durdin and Fogarty get contract extensions mid year, seeing us pick Fantasia when available and Motlop, then seeing that we havenā€™t offered Owies a deal pisses me off.

Owies for all his flaws brings more effort, passion and output than all of those players and he has another skill where he smashes them, heā€™s not injury prone like all the others.

If Owies is being offered more years and more money elsewhere, then trade out two of the others, because he brings more.

Imagine oppo coaches doing analysis on our small forwardsā€¦theyā€™d laugh for hours
Id love to know what our own coaches and players think of them.

Curnow and McKay(even with his flaws) provide the best supply a small forward could ever ask for. They bring the ball to ground as well as anyone in in the comp and our smalls still couldnt buy a touch out there.

So:

Cunners/Marchbank/Akuei/Mirkov and Matt Carroll delisted. (Iā€™d be surprised if Marchy doesnā€™t retire).

Martin and Jack Carroll. Maybe a second rounder for Martin. Packet of chips for Carroll.

Is there any value in Motts and Durdin? Or do we just delist them and pay out their contracts (Iā€™m not expecting either to happen by the way).

Williams, is there any value here? I wouldnā€™t have thought so.

Gov, definitely would be looking for a second rounder for him. But also happy to keep.

Give Owies a contract. Keep Young.

Fog and Cotts in the firing line for next year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah that's the problem, we won't be aggressive, brave, fearless, intrepid or any other superlative. Instead we'll be conservative, limp and borderline insipid. What I would do to have a small/medium forward line like 2011. Betts, Garlett, Walker and Robinson. šŸ˜

Too one paced through the midfield, it results in clunky ball movement, pressured kicks inside 50 & an inability to recover defensively.
We struggle to cover 2 marking options down back let alone 3-4 - it was glaring tonight.
Need more pace & pressure forward of the ball.

Ideally, draft a KPD early or a small/med forward-mid that can apply pressure & work between the archs.

While I do get emotional from time to time I think I said at the start of the year we're still 3-4 pick ups away. Still think thats true.

The rest of the pieces need some more development and another pre season or two in the gym - Cowan, Ollie, Wilson, Moir etc.

The most important off season for this club in 20 years.

Regardless of injuries, i still think we have under achieved, i still see good players all over the ground, so the coaching group needs a lot of focus across the off season.

Even when we were winning and had strong teams in, we leaked goals and inside 50s our team defending was really bad, i think the list is strong and a few upgrades will really help, but if we have a bad coach or coaching group, then a few better players isnā€™t going to do much.

One positive from tonight is I thought Young showed he can be an option down back when he's mentally in it.

Can we bank on that? Not imo, and I'd still be getting a 2nd KPD option if I could, but definitely worth keeping on as depth.

I think Young needs to be sent to a military boot camp, its probably unlikely to get better but if he was able to increase his intent and aggression at the contest and player by even 5-10% heā€™d be a great a part of the team.

I think Young needs to be sent to a military boot camp, its probably unlikely to get better but if he was able to increase his intent and aggression at the contest and player by even 5-10% heā€™d be a great a part of the team.
Just send him to a UFC camp for the pre season. It's all in his head, he's got all the athletic ability he could need.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back