List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Trading Motlop would go down as one of the biggest mistakes in Carlton's illustrious history.

The kid hasn't turned 21 yet, was injured most of this year.

Last season, which was his second in the AFL, he had 10 games out of 21 with 2+ goals, was number 1 for our tackles inside 50, kick our 4th most goals and is almost our only small forward with genuine x-factor and goal sense.

Lets try not to judge a kid who spent most of the year in injury rehabilitation on a couple of underwhelming games.

His upside is massive and he has so much of what we need.
No excuse for turning up in the condition he did. Regardless of injuries. You're a professional athlete on great money.

with Saad and Newy getting on, Houston would be great but what about Cowan and Wilson?
I see Cowan as replacing Newy in time and Wilson potentially for Saad.
I like Ollie's time in the HB line as well. If he focuses on defense then Binns or Walsh to the wing is an option.
With the Ben and Locky coming in next season and developing their game I wonder if additional HBF's are required.

I feel as though some are falling for the allure of the mystery box yet again.

Draftees aren't guaranteed to be AFL quality and should not be slotted into best 22's immediately.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sweet Seventeen your post about Saad and losing the enjoyment of football and becoming defensive isn't that what happened to Chris Yarren under Malthouse. As Yaz was the same loved to take the game on and wasn't afraid. All I want for christmas is a functioning backline with stability. I also don't want a makeshift KPD who was primarily a forward, we've seen that before and yes it did work out for Jones but not others.

No excuse for turning up in the condition he did. Regardless of injuries. You're a professional athlete on great money.

A 20 year old kid that had an awesome preseason, was injured in the last preseason game and then injured again in one off Russell's classic rehabilitation moves. (is there a more dangerous place in world sport than Russell's boot camps)

Perhaps with the clubs new high performance team, and hopefully better mentoring for the younger interstate players, this won't happen again.

Every AFL player is also a human, and at 20 I'm not sure many of us completely understood what was required of us to be professionals.

I'm not saying he did anything like Tyson Stengle, cause he didn't. But what Stengle did 1 month ago which resulted in him being rushed from a club to the hospital is very quickly forgotten when he kicks 4 goals in a qualifying final.

I don't think a club should just give up on a talented kid because he struggled with injury recovery for the first time in his career, I'd prefer the club to look more at the why and the support networks, rather than blaming the individual.

Sweet Seventeen your post about Saad and losing the enjoyment of football and becoming defensive isn't that what happened to Chris Yarren under Malthouse. As Yaz was the same loved to take the game on and wasn't afraid. All I want for christmas is a functioning backline with stability. I also don't want a makeshift KPD who was primarily a forward, we've seen that before and yes it did work out for Jones but not others.
Chris Yarrens story is a very sad one. Amazing athlete, highly skilled but a bit fragile mentally. City life in Melbourne was

probably not good for him. Tragic story really, was so good to watch him play. Real excitement machine. I would be

surprised if any of our player's enjoyed playing under malty. He was only in it for the money. You talking about Lewis

Young, actually I was quite impressed with his last few games. Full back does seem to be his best position, can do a

reasonable job in the ruck as well. I am hoping that he might continue his improvement next year, we really do need him to

be a reliable partner to weiters down there.

Is quick which is good but no right foot at all and that would be restrictive as a small forward imo as you often need to put ball on boot quickly ā€¦
Could see Saad offering a POD as a high half forward though with the attributes to improve our F50 connection.

Can get separation on the lead, can wheel and deliver to advantage with depth, could wheel and hit the scoreboard from outside 50 and is crafty enough to lower the eyes and find shorter options inside 50.

Also has the defensive pressure/mindset, closing speed and tackling skills to not only match up on the likes of Zorko but lock the ball in our forward half.

He would add class & attributes that certainly Fantasia lacksā€¦.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn rebuild in (what) 3 years with no real high draft picks and no real big name trades - weā€™ve had this (66 game reset šŸ¤£) since 2016 šŸ¤£
You live and die by using your picks judiciously. Jai Newcombe pick 8 or 9 in the midseason draft V Dow at 2, Ginnivan for a pack of chips, pouncing post sacking, Meek v Pitto etc, not just us but v plenty of other clubs as well.
They have hit their drafting of young talent out of the park, across the road and into the storm water drain.

Their development of these kids though is also next level to our strategy of let them languish in the twos, instill the belief you are only good enough when we have no other options remaining etc etc

Pretty off a lot of what I saw play out this year.

Only upside was being at a lunch the other day and was told that Cody Walker is actually in Richmond's NGA but father Son trumps it. (Although it does give him the choice)
The one time Richmond's zone produces a near no 1 pick, its a Carlton Father Son. Nice.

The untouchable list keeps growing lol

People need to understand, taking profit is a good thing.

Would I consider trading Walsh? Absolutely!

For what and whom? I have no clue, definitely not a happy meal that's for sure.

Last edited:
Caleb Daniel a chance to leave the Dogs, worth a look IMO. Great user and at his best is a handy player. Thoughts?

What "condition" was he in? I watched him during pre season and he looked awesome. Sadly, another Hammy cruelled him and like others with same issue he never really recovered

What "condition" was he in? I watched him during pre season and he looked awesome. Sadly, another Hammy cruelled him and like others with same issue he never really recovered
Looked overweight and really struggled when he came back from injury mid season. Motlop could be a star if he's fit. He's only 20 so has time. Injury ruined his season.

Looked overweight and really struggled when he came back from injury mid season. Motlop could be a star if he's fit. He's only 20 so has time. Injury ruined his season.

He's a stocky kid but he was very fit. IMO injury and confidence killed him. He's young and needs to mature and learn but anyone who has seen him train etc wouldn't question effort

Sometimes things just don't work out

He's a stocky kid but he was very fit. IMO injury and confidence killed him. He's young and needs to mature and learn but anyone who has seen him train etc wouldn't question effort

Sometimes things just don't work out
We hopefully will be in a position next year to fairly judge a fit Durds with shoulder sorted and a fit Motlop with an uninterrupted pre season under his belt. Adding Malcolm Rosas would be worth doing I reckon. Will not cost a lot.

It's about time we had some luck with injuries.

I think it's fairly obvious that Motlop didn't have the professionalism required to come back from injury in good shape. But that doesn't mean he's a write off and we move past him, either. It's disappointing but hopefully he learns from it and is better for it.

Most of the blame needs to go to the MC for putting him out there when clearly he had no right being on an AFL field. Some of his efforts were deplorable, whether it be fitness related or not, the MC kept putting in him the spot to be exposed despite clearly not being up to it.

The same could be said for Durdin, he played about a month of footy with 1 arm and was clearly physically incapable of impacting a game yet they kept lining him up, week after disappointing week.

Voss needs to change his philosophy and trust the Kids. I have watched a lot of reserves over last few years. Most live. We have a lot of unrealised talent that IMO just needs a chance

I thought the last 2 rounds showed this

Wilson - He's a beauty and what we need. Leg speed off HB and good ball user
Lord - Newcombe type mid with amazingly clean and quick hands. Great decision maker
Binns - Ball magnet. Could be an Ed Langdon type. Keeps running and surprisingly when given opportunity ball use improved
O'Keefe - Genuine Ruck/Fwd who can play. Tough and physical. Raw but won't let you down
Lemmey - Laconic but has ability. Give him a taste and may surprise
Moir - Issue early was fitness, effort but has really improved. Skills are unbelieveable
Ollie - put him at HB and he will stand up. Needs to run straight
Elijah - Big preason as a mid
Motlop - train as running defender. Gets lost up forward and in pre season was dynamic around the ball. Quick and skillful

Cincotta - Better than people think if given run. Tough, good skils and burst of speed. Put him on ball
Kemp - Elite talent finally released from defence. Put him wing/on ball and watch out. GAME Changer. Most underrated and underutilised player on list
Cowan - Saw him play mid in 2's and looked a natural. Hasn't been played there since?

Trust the kids, change some roles and things can change very quickly

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back