List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey Smith and Shai Bolton would bring some much needed pace, kicking skills and mongrel to this team (we have too many nice private school boys).

We could use Kennedy, Cerra, Walsh to obtain as they have trade currency.

Dream Team for next season:

B: Boyd----------------Weitering--------------Newman

H: Williams------------McGovern--------------Saad

C: Acres----------------Cripps-----------------Docherty

H:E.Hollands----------C.Curnow--------------Silvagni

F: Owies----------------McKay----------------Fogarty

Foll: De Koning, Bailey Smith, S.Bolton

Bench: Cowan, Hewett, O.Hollands, Moir

Is Weitering quick and athletic? I reckon like Jack heā€™s just a smart footballer

I like to look for reasons why as opposed to why not but thatā€™s just me
Weitering is the best wrestler in the AFL and simply doesn't allow his opponents to freely run. When the ball is moving fast Weiters can be caught lacking.

Jacks best trait is his tank and ground ball game for a tall. He's always been weak in the air and never been overly fast.

He'd get killed by the high quality tall forwards in the league.

Do you really believe that? Jack is all heart, never stops trying, but not an athletic defender
Not at all.

My point is that if he is athletic enough to play in the AFL as a forward, he is athletic enough to play defence also.

Do I think defence will be his best spot in the long run? Not convinced.

Do I think we should try him there given our lack of options? Yes.

Told everyone last week Jack Macrae was a big chance to come to Carlton.
Austin loves bulldogs players as we know and he has had a heads up on Jack wanting out.
Should be able to get him for a steal.Haggling point will be his salary and if bulldogs will pay some of it

If he loves Bulldogs players then get us the younger one that wants out.

Bailey Smith and Shai Bolton would bring some much needed pace, kicking skills and mongrel to this team (we have too many nice private school boys).

Walsh for Smith... I'll get my microwave warmed up

Not at all.

My point is that if he is athletic enough to play in the AFL as a forward, he is athletic enough to play defence also.

Jack is a glorified half forward not a genuine KPF. Keep him as a 3rd tall/ruck where is lack of ability in the air and on the lead isn't exposed and he can use his smarts and ball use to their best effect.

Jack down back vs someone like Hogan or J.Cameron would be an absolute massacre.

Jack is a glorified half forward not a genuine KPF. Keep him as a 3rd tall/ruck where is lack of ability in the air and on the lead isn't exposed and he can use his smarts and ball use to their best effect.

Jack down back vs someone like Hogan or J.Cameron would be an absolute massacre.

Sides are going more mobile especially up forward. Weitering takes the big players. Jack (like any player) would be looking for best match up.

You mention GWS or Geelong. After Hogan they may have Riccardi. Cats have Cameron and then maybe Henry.

Look at the Hawks defence now or the Swans. Neither have the big types like Weitering but do very well.

Itā€™s more about match ups and importantly how they work as a group IMO

Good thing is Weiters would generally be the one play on them....Jack would be playing the intercept/distributor role on the second or third forward and on those types I feel Jack would be more than adequate.

On the bright side he would be the one taking out a Weitering in play.....

Not at all.

I don't see him as an athletic forward, I see him as a heart and soul, hard working, team oriented forward

At a pinch to throw the magnets around in game, maybe, but certainly not as a fulltime 2nd KPD

No I don't, I think we should target a cheap ready made type while still taking 1 in the draft, after parting ways with Marchbank, S Durdin and Akuei

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will Captain VFL most of the season very unlikely he will be offered a contact in 2026 seeing who is coming off contact. We would be in deep shit if we relying on him to fix our issues.
Some people do have very short memories. Before Jack did his ACL, he was in career best form. He is much more than just

a third tall forward, who can ruck a little, imo. Has never been an elite kicker, yet he was showing signs that his kicking at

goal was really improving. One other thing, if I was ever called up to go fight a war. Out of all of our players, (not including

Cripps) he would be the one I would pick to be in the trenches with. Has real mongrel and does not like to lose any contest.

I will back Jack to possibly re-invent himself as a KPD, or in his more familiar role up forward. He will play most games and

he will be contributing very well in 25.

Voss needs to change his philosophy and trust the Kids. I have watched a lot of reserves over last few years. Most live. We have a lot of unrealised talent that IMO just needs a chance

I thought the last 2 rounds showed this

Wilson - He's a beauty and what we need. Leg speed off HB and good ball user
Lord - Newcombe type mid with amazingly clean and quick hands. Great decision maker
Binns - Ball magnet. Could be an Ed Langdon type. Keeps running and surprisingly when given opportunity ball use improved
O'Keefe - Genuine Ruck/Fwd who can play. Tough and physical. Raw but won't let you down
Lemmey - Laconic but has ability. Give him a taste and may surprise
Moir - Issue early was fitness, effort but has really improved. Skills are unbelieveable
Ollie - put him at HB and he will stand up. Needs to run straight
Elijah - Big preason as a mid
Motlop - train as running defender. Gets lost up forward and in pre season was dynamic around the ball. Quick and skillful

Cincotta - Better than people think if given run. Tough, good skils and burst of speed. Put him on ball
Kemp - Elite talent finally released from defence. Put him wing/on ball and watch out. GAME Changer. Most underrated and underutilised player on list
Cowan - Saw him play mid in 2's and looked a natural. Hasn't been played there since?

Trust the kids, change some roles and things can change very quickly
Great post.

I agree with almost all of it.
A healthy list is paramount to this though, the ability to rest a couple of senior players and blood the youngster incrementally is so important. Rather than what we tend to do which is wait until we have not options and play a whole host of them all at once.
It's also so important because it means we have a large core of AFL players playing together in the VFL team. Something that we've struggled with for years.

Small fwds need a point of difference.
Something dynamic, mercurial or a bit of mongrel that is constant, reliable and that they are renowned for.

Owies aside, ours are barely noticeable.

Austin and Co have a lot of work to do.

We pursue the list padding messiah trades like we're Geelong. Except we haven't had Geelong type success in the last 25 years.

Personally, I see our next legitimate tilt being when Ollie is around 28 years old.

I understand trialing players in different areas, wanted Williams to be played as a forward and it finally happened.

Cincotta had attributes to play in other areas, and it worked fairly well

Jsos as a permanent KPD, would get exposed in the air and on the lead, it would be a crazy move. It's like asking C Durdin to play back pocket

Sides are going more mobile especially up forward. Weitering takes the big players. Jack (like any player) would be looking for best match up.

You mention GWS or Geelong. After Hogan they may have Riccardi. Cats have Cameron and then maybe Henry.

Look at the Hawks defence now or the Swans. Neither have the big types like Weitering but do very well.

Itā€™s more about match ups and importantly how they work as a group IMO
It's also about how these sides use players to their strength.
I'm not he biggest fan on David King, but he has been banging on about this all season.
For to long we've hung Weitering out to dry, we put him on the best forward, we want him to intercept, be the general, guard the most dangerous forward all at once.

Hawks have players like Frost that allow Sicily to do what he wants, they even use Hardwick on talls to free Sicily up.

Pies used Frampton in the same ilk, allowing Moore to be that floating player.

We don't need a superstar KPD, we just need to adjust the way we set up. Heck, Lewis Young was one of our better players against the Lions, and he is far from a star. But if we can train one or two players to play those roles, we can finally allow Weitering to be what he was drafted as. An amazing intercept defender. Sure he can lock down when needs be, but priority number 1 should be finding a way to give him more freedom.

Great post.

I agree with almost all of it.
A healthy list is paramount to this though, the ability to rest a couple of senior players and blood the youngster incrementally is so important. Rather than what we tend to do which is wait until we have not options and play a whole host of them all at once.
It's also so important because it means we have a large core of AFL players playing together in the VFL team. Something that we've struggled with for years.
He'll never do it.

He doesn't appear brave enough to take the perceived risk of losing a game.
Preaches being brave in the contest. The entire comp is a contest.

Bailey Smith went to Xavier

Houston and Barrass would cost roughly the same to get across, providing Barrass was interested. Houston is 18 months younger, though not sure which would improve us more. I think Barrass if his body is tracking OK.

He'll never do it.

He doesn't appear brave enough to take the perceived risk of losing a game.
Preaches being brave in the contest. The entire comp is a contest.
We need a strategical gameplan coach.
Voss can be the relationship coach, the figure head and the motivator. But we need some football brains.

I've been saying it since we signed him and been shot down multiple times, but his gameplan is stuck in the 80s/90s

We need a modern football mind to take the reigns over the game plan.

Much like the Pies did last year. Fly presented a great front and was excellent for culture, but the brains and gameplan were from Bolton and Leppa.

The fall away this year was because those two had to take on multiple roles and were competing to replace Wright.

It's also about how these sides use players to their strength.
I'm not he biggest fan on David King, but he has been banging on about this all season.
For to long we've hung Weitering out to dry, we put him on the best forward, we want him to intercept, be the general, guard the most dangerous forward all at once.

Hawks have players like Frost that allow Sicily to do what he wants, they even use Hardwick on talls to free Sicily up.

Pies used Frampton in the same ilk, allowing Moore to be that floating player.

We don't need a superstar KPD, we just need to adjust the way we set up. Heck, Lewis Young was one of our better players against the Lions, and he is far from a star. But if we can train one or two players to play those roles, we can finally allow Weitering to be what he was drafted as. An amazing intercept defender. Sure he can lock down when needs be, but priority number 1 should be finding a way to give him more freedom.
Lewis Young should have been playing that role all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back