List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

If Richmond is willing to trade a first this year for our future first I'd rather just take an extra kid in this draft than trade for Houston.
Hedging our bets is a really balanced approach that looks to bolster the list in the short to mid term and long term, Houston makes us better straight away with no risk, hopefully we get the pick right.

Geelong just refuse to die, every year I think this is the year, then you look at their drafting and trading history, theyā€™ve brought in 6 players using 1st round picks in the last 11 years and are about to add Smith with another.

I can think of 7 1st round draftees we have brought in over that same period who were all busts and one player we used a 1st on via trade who was also a bust.

If we want to continue to challenge for years to come, then trading like this massively reduces the risk of wasting picks.

Voss needs to change his philosophy and trust the Kids. I have watched a lot of reserves over last few years. Most live. We have a lot of unrealised talent that IMO just needs a chance

I thought the last 2 rounds showed this

Wilson - He's a beauty and what we need. Leg speed off HB and good ball user
Lord - Newcombe type mid with amazingly clean and quick hands. Great decision maker
Binns - Ball magnet. Could be an Ed Langdon type. Keeps running and surprisingly when given opportunity ball use improved
O'Keefe - Genuine Ruck/Fwd who can play. Tough and physical. Raw but won't let you down
Lemmey - Laconic but has ability. Give him a taste and may surprise
Moir - Issue early was fitness, effort but has really improved. Skills are unbelieveable
Ollie - put him at HB and he will stand up. Needs to run straight
Elijah - Big preason as a mid
Motlop - train as running defender. Gets lost up forward and in pre season was dynamic around the ball. Quick and skillful

Cincotta - Better than people think if given run. Tough, good skils and burst of speed. Put him on ball
Kemp - Elite talent finally released from defence. Put him wing/on ball and watch out. GAME Changer. Most underrated and underutilised player on list
Cowan - Saw him play mid in 2's and looked a natural. Hasn't been played there since?

Trust the kids, change some roles and things can change very quickly
Surely after three seasons Voss realises his midfield don't get it done consistently and struggle to defend between the arcs -the way he had to use Elijah hollands this last 8 weeks surely tells him this ..
Thinking today that since the Adelaide gather round game last year we have been beaten the same way consistently.

I only say that because I think Gov is ahead of him down back as a 3rd tall and if Moir comes on fitness wise he shows far more natural ability as a mid size forward
Gov should not be ahead of him down back in the medium to long term. Ideally, I think 2025 needs to be a year of ā€œdiscoveryā€ for Kemp. 3rd tall defender is a fall back position, the McGovern role is highly suitable. I tend to agree regarding him forward. So much discussion in the modern game and ā€œsmall ballā€ Kemp for mine doesnā€™t exist full time beside Harry and Charlie. Particularly with Moir coming on as a mid size/third tall option. Kemp certainly has the scope to play wing or even genuine mid, and yes, perhaps a midfield intro in the twos may be an option, but he is a top 22 player every day of the week when he realises how good he actually is.

I subscribe to the theory our coaches tend to focus too much on what players do ā€œpoorlyā€ and not enough on what they do well.

I didn't mean Owies you keep him but could be a casualty for up and coming contact of TDK and Weitering i can see club working on this that why he might move. Martin pick we will unlikely use that Freo will get him as a free delisting. We not going to be mugs trying to force them a very late pick we not using unless that pick has points for father and son.
If we had a 1 year contract for Martin on the table we'd get a compo pick because we drafted him. Freo would no doubt better the offer so it's a free hit at a draft pick. Don't know why we haven't already done it.

Bailey Smith and Shai Bolton would bring some much needed pace, kicking skills and mongrel to this team (we have too many nice private school boys).

We could use Kennedy, Cerra, Walsh to obtain as they have trade currency.

Dream Team for next season:

B: Boyd----------------Weitering--------------Newman

H: Williams------------McGovern--------------Saad

C: Acres----------------Cripps-----------------Docherty

H:E.Hollands----------C.Curnow--------------Silvagni

F: Owies----------------McKay----------------Fogarty

Foll: De Koning, Bailey Smith, S.Bolton

Bench: Cowan, Hewett, O.Hollands, Moir
I'll ignore the fact that Bolton is only leaving Richmond to go back to WA.

But use Walsh.... as trade currency.... come on now. I know it's silly season, but this is to much.

Rory Lobb is 207cm give it up on JSOS that a wet dream becoming a really great backman and you know Voss will have nothing of it he either play as a 3rd tall Brad Fisher type helping at Ruck or the the Two
Iā€™ve never understood the view that JSOS canā€™t make it as a defender.
The best mark in the league pound for pound, in fact nearly the best Iā€™ve seen in 40+ years is Sicilyā€¦all 188cm of him.
Heā€™s 2.5ā€ shorter than JSOS.
He regularly out marks players 6-8ā€ taller than him.
Kenny Hunter is the closest Iā€™ve seen to him.
I think Jack could become a great intercept mark, if given the opportunity.

It's also about how these sides use players to their strength.
I'm not he biggest fan on David King, but he has been banging on about this all season.
For to long we've hung Weitering out to dry, we put him on the best forward, we want him to intercept, be the general, guard the most dangerous forward all at once.

Hawks have players like Frost that allow Sicily to do what he wants, they even use Hardwick on talls to free Sicily up.

Pies used Frampton in the same ilk, allowing Moore to be that floating player.

We don't need a superstar KPD, we just need to adjust the way we set up. Heck, Lewis Young was one of our better players against the Lions, and he is far from a star. But if we can train one or two players to play those roles, we can finally allow Weitering to be what he was drafted as. An amazing intercept defender. Sure he can lock down when needs be, but priority number 1 should be finding a way to give him more freedom.
Totally agree. Even Stevie Wonder can see this but we've done nothing since Sam Durdin to address this. I'm not sure Nick Haynes is the answer at HB but I would trust Jack to get the job done at FB and move Weiters to intercept.

Lewis Young should have been playing that role all year.
Good as he was last week, the problem is that Young is not really a mobile HB and I hold my breath when he's at FB. He's not good enough at reading the play to be at FB but as 3rd tall I think he'd go OK (especially if Kemp goes forward).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said it before, but I'd play Boyd forward, start trialing Cowan on a wing, leave Kemp forward

Supporters will love Duffy, moves like Acres, runs all day
Cowan is a bull (no pun intended), I think he'd be a wrecking ball on the ball, but he's too dependable down back atm and we dont have anyone to cover the role he plays.

This side has genuine ability if trusted and we use a modern game plan. This is before we recruit anyone

B: Docherty Silvagni Cowan
HB: Wilson Weitering Hollands
C: Acres Cripps Kemp
HF: Cerra McKay Moir
F: O'Keefe Charlie Motlop
Foll: TDK Elijah Lord
Int: Walsh Boyd Binns Cincotta

Make the mature players earn their spots
Back the youth
More mobile and quicker with better ball use
Small forward is glaring issue
Our recruiting of role players is apalling

Docherty- Mr Yesterday. No small defender
Wilson- unproven
Kemp- Massive question marks. Not a wingmans ring
Cerra- Failure to this point not a half fwd
Motlop- 12 months of disinterest.
Walsh- lost pace.

He'll never do it.

He doesn't appear brave enough to take the perceived risk of losing a game.
Preaches being brave in the contest. The entire comp is a contest.
He might wake up now that the young blokes played an important role in the last 2 games and he got shit-canned by the public for not going with a couple instead of rushing 6 back for the final.

Hedging our bets is a really balanced approach that looks to bolster the list in the short to mid term and long term, Houston makes us better straight away with no risk, hopefully we get the pick right.

Geelong just refuse to die, every year I think this is the year, then you look at their drafting and trading history, theyā€™ve brought in 6 players using 1st round picks in the last 11 years and are about to add Smith with another.

I can think of 7 1st round draftees we have brought in over that same period who were all busts and one player we used a 1st on via trade who was also a bust.

If we want to continue to challenge for years to come, then trading like this massively reduces the risk of wasting picks.
Tend to agree with this. Drafting is a gamble, no matter how good your recruiting staff are. Maybe a first rounder gets you a Cripps, maybe it gets you a SPS, maybe it gets you something in the middle. If you trade instead, you know what you're buying and you're much better placed to smooth out the peaks and troughs.

When you're finishing in the 8 more often than not, trading your first rounder for a proven player with a decent chunk of their career still ahead of them just makes sense. You have to manage your salary cap to make it work, and the AFL won't let you do it every year anyway, but should you plan to do it every 2 or 3 years? Absolutely.

Voss needs to change his philosophy and trust the Kids. I have watched a lot of reserves over last few years. Most live. We have a lot of unrealised talent that IMO just needs a chance

I thought the last 2 rounds showed this

Wilson - He's a beauty and what we need. Leg speed off HB and good ball user
Lord - Newcombe type mid with amazingly clean and quick hands. Great decision maker
Binns - Ball magnet. Could be an Ed Langdon type. Keeps running and surprisingly when given opportunity ball use improved
O'Keefe - Genuine Ruck/Fwd who can play. Tough and physical. Raw but won't let you down
Lemmey - Laconic but has ability. Give him a taste and may surprise
Moir - Issue early was fitness, effort but has really improved. Skills are unbelieveable
Ollie - put him at HB and he will stand up. Needs to run straight
Elijah - Big preason as a mid
Motlop - train as running defender. Gets lost up forward and in pre season was dynamic around the ball. Quick and skillful

Cincotta - Better than people think if given run. Tough, good skils and burst of speed. Put him on ball
Kemp - Elite talent finally released from defence. Put him wing/on ball and watch out. GAME Changer. Most underrated and underutilised player on list
Cowan - Saw him play mid in 2's and looked a natural. Hasn't been played there since?

Trust the kids, change some roles and things can change very quickly

I agree with a lot of what youā€™ve said except the bit about trialling Motlop down back (or anywhere else for that matter). He has very little poise with the ball in hand, lacks positional awareness with and without the ball and isnā€™t a great decision maker unless the goals are in his sights. IMO he only has the skills to be a small forward and trying to change him into playing another position would be a huge failure. That said I think could be a good small forward. He just needs to work on his positioning, fitness and endeavour. Next season is a very important one for his future at the club and in the game.

My biggest frustration with Saad and its probably more a knock on his teammates up the field than him personally is that he is no longer prepared to take risks. He gets the ball, runs around in circles and then chips it 15 to 20m. Again, probably an indictment on his teammates for not running to create and provide options leaving him with the choice of chipping it and us retaining possession or just bombing and likely turning it over. If that continues, getting Houston and any other elite users across half back isn't going to help us unless our game plan changes and players up the ground are prepared to work hard and give options. We'll simply knock the attacking flair out of them as well.
I think not taking risks is a function of lack of trust growing in the group.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with a lot of what youā€™ve said except the bit about trialling Motlop down back (or anywhere else for that matter). He has very little poise with the ball in hand, lacks positional awareness with and without the ball and isnā€™t a great decision maker unless the goals are in his sights. IMO he only has the skills to be a small forward and trying to change him into playing another position would be a huge failure. That said I think could be a good small forward. He just needs to work on his positioning, fitness and endeavour. Next season is a very important one for his future at the club and in the game.
I'm staring to think he's a 'dumb' footballer. Rarely in the right spot. Is it fitness and he just can't get there? Or does he not 'see' it?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He might wake up now that the young blokes played an important role in the last 2 games and he got shit-canned by the public for not going with a couple instead of rushing 6 back for the final.
I'd like that.

Been a rough few weeks for the bagger collective.

Seeing lads like Lord and Binns doing their thing was a shining light.

Iā€™ve never understood the view that JSOS canā€™t make it as a defender.
The best mark in the league pound for pound, in fact nearly the best Iā€™ve seen in 40+ years is Sicilyā€¦all 188cm of him.
Heā€™s 2.5ā€ shorter than JSOS.
He regularly out marks players 6-8ā€ taller than him.
Kenny Hunter is the closest Iā€™ve seen to him.
I think Jack could become a great intercept mark, if given the opportunity.
JSoS could shine as a key defender if given the extra free/7th defender role. There his positioning/decision making can offset his lack of pace.

Mcgovern currently holds down a pseudo interceptor role but doesnt actually implement the intercepting bit. I'd give a free role to JSoS who has 5 times the AFL IQ as Mcgovern who people misread as having AFL IQ. Mcgovern is simply fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back