List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

For sure but again, people assume that if we are giving a 1st and a 2nd for Houston or even 2 firsts, that we canā€™t still take picks in the 1st round of the draft, its not true.

The latest chat going around is that we will offer our 1st this year and next for Houston but will get a later 1st back this year, that still allows us to take a KPD in the 1st round or a quality player of need in another area.

Thatā€™s before you factor in a possible 2nd for Owies, 3rd for Carrol and 4th for Martin.

Itā€™s common for clubs to offer two 2nds or more to move up the board which we could still do to get a pick ahead of Ben.

We could get picks say 18 and 24 at the draft and still bring in Houston, plus the Campo twins.

Deals like this dont neglect the draft and they dont risk our future.
That's completely fine.
I've no issue with the potential acquisition of Houston (he's quality), beyond questioning our allocation of resources to the position overall, it's why I largely discuss our overall strategy rather than individual players.

Cerra up for trade?

Doubt it, I think most clubs would be wary of his hamstring issues. We can't sell low when we payed pick 6 for him. There isn't anyone of his quality on the market unless someone wants to offer us a top 10 pick for him.

Couldnā€™t agree, well i can a little, we arenā€™t Geelong or Sydney thatā€™s right and i think they both seem to be better run clubs, but that doesnt mean you get put off a strategy you believe will build the best list.

You could use your argument to avoid the draft all together, or we could look to the past and see half a dozen first round draft pick busts as a reason to never pick one again.

My point being, adopt the best strategy to build the best list, if our issues are as you say, we will struggle either way but you need to try and i hope thereā€™s moves being made to improve the club all the time.

Sydney werenā€™t a well run club in the 90s but things built and changed slowly, hopefully we are moving slowly in the right direction, i have doubts over our coach but then whatā€™s better, bringing in kids or bringing in senior players?
I get where youā€™re coming from & I agree.
My point was that we arenā€™t at there level & what works for them doesnā€™t translate to us.

Slapping a super charger on a Datsun 120y doesnā€™t make it a Torana šŸ˜‚

We need to build a solid base.

Who else is drawing so many lines thru players just through them being constantly injured.

IMO the List needs more balance & improvement across the board not another gun (yet), then we need to build a game style to go with it.

Good players come up constantly, itā€™s not do or die now, I think we get more improvement out of fixing the biggest deficiencies & HB isnā€™t that for me.

Last edited:
First lot of exit interview today.

Bound to get some sad news
For some players it won't be sad for me, but more of a reflection on what could've been or if we were braver to part ways a year or two ago instead. Yes their livelihoods have been taken away somewhat, but that's the realities, either through age, a body that's failed them, commitment to their craft required at this level, even coaching and S&C decisions made on their behalf.

But players get great support and opportunities, a lot are blessed to have at least 1 AFL game beside their name for all eternity, which is something us commoners could only dream of.

Let's celebrate their part in our journey and begin to focus heavily on what lays ahead. There's a lot of work to be done.

Play a different way? When i complain about how we play, Iā€™m not calling for a new game style, Iā€™m complaining that i constantly see forwards refusing to lead at the ball carrier to create space behind them, i complain about constantly seeing our mids and backs kick the ball to Harry and Charlie standing still, that i constantly see Harry and Charlie contesting the same ball instead of creating separation, i complain about our inability to improve our D50 stoppage structures.

I could list so many more but none of this means we have to change the game style.

The long bomb to the heads of our forwards instead of space created for them is not a change in style, we can still be a tough contested footy side.
watching Kemp lead at pace towards Cripps bursting out of centre was one of my few highlights in the lions game. I'm sick of the scenarios you mention above, week-in, week-out.

I get where youā€™re coming from & I agree.
My point was that we arenā€™t at there level & what works for them doesnā€™t translate to us.

Slapping a super charger on a Datsun 120y doesnā€™t make it a Torana šŸ˜‚

We need to build a solid base.

Who else drawing so many lines thru players just through them being constantly injured.

IMO the List needs more balance & improvement across the board not another gun (yet), then we need to build a game style to go with it.

Good players come up constantly, itā€™s not do or die now, I think we get more improvement out of fixing the biggest deficiencies & HB isnā€™t that for me.
Yep, add a gun halfback and fullback to our side and we still get smashed by Brisbane, Sydney, Hawthorn etc. It may help with some of our narrower losses. You can't get beaten around the middle of the ground and struggle to move the ball in the middle of the ground and struggle to apply pressure and lay tackles in the middle of the ground and blame the backline.

On ball and half forward would be my main focus. Full back and half back is somewhat of a need. But really we go into next season with to AA half backs in Docherty and Saad and some good up and comers in Cowan and Wilson and Young was pretty decent in the last few rounds of the year playing fullback with Weitering moved up to CHB.

Houston is a good player and would be a good get but he really is not worth selling the farm over and avoiding fixing other more crucial areas.

We built the wrong midfield for 2022 onwards, lets fix that!

Going after butters and Balta - Iā€™m in. Exactly what we need. Transformational.

And, if Ken goes (say, out in straight sets again), go for Butters now, maybe Ken comes too as a mentor/advisor role
Reason I noted next year for Butters is that there is 0 chance Port release him in a trade this year with 2 years left on his deal. Also even if they lose tomorrow I think Hinkley stays for one more year, as contracted. They could be at major crossroads in 2025 with Hinkley gone and Butters a 'pre-agent', making him potentially gettable.

We also need to sign TDK and Weiters, then clear out salary to have a hope in hell to land a Butters and/or Balta.

We also have fresh trade capital next year, and a year into the kids we draft this year.

All a pipe dream, but try and position our list this year for a go next year i.e. cheap pick ups this year and go to the draft.

Cerra up for trade?
Mitch Cleary reported he is off to Qatar to treat his hamstrings, also said he is in early discussions to extend his contract, which is currently set to expire end of 2025.

Based off this, he is staying - which is great news, hopefully the trip sorts his hammys out too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2108307

Just wondering what kind of trade you would want for Jack if he did want a move to West Coast or another team?
Given he is OOC, and WC could pull the old PSD threat, your existing 4th rounder in a straight swap is probably a fair deal and should be done somewhat early in the trade period.

Clears a list spot for us and gets points for our twin bids.

Our big problem is list squeeze.

Expect initial delistings to be

Marchbank
Cuningham
Sam Durdin
Dom Akeui

And there to be the following players who are advised to look at their options

Carroll
Martin
Young
Pittonet

Might also be some guys who are told that they are required, but who have latitude to explore outside opportunities

Kennedy
Motlop
Owies

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Cerra up for trade?

That 'story' comes from a bit on the Foxtel show Midweek Tackle.
Very much seemed to be speculation, rather than coming from any actual information or rumour.

Then the Mitch Cleary tweet saying he's in negotiation for a contract extension. So unlikely.

Our game plan just needs some tweaks to get away from being reliant on contested football all the time:
  • a couple of options for kick ins to become a bit more unpredictable
  • become a bit more unpredictable with guys at the centre clearances so the opposition second guessing
  • stop bombing forward to H &C, it is too predictable and easy to defend
Easier said than done, but I feel we rely too much on talent alone rather than assisting that talent
Nothing wrong here
1) anyone who kicks out to Lewis young should be dropped. Oppo leave him free as they know his decision will not be an easy one and will take 4minutes for the ball to move.
2) loved the games mid year where Ehollands would attend maybe 10 bounces. Probably just coincidental itā€™s when we were flying. Felt like we rarely saw Cripps resting forward at bounce after the first few rounds
3) why would we change this beloved part of our DNA šŸ˜‚ infuriating. Some usual suspects too

Given he is OOC, and WC could pull the old PSD threat, your existing 4th rounder in a straight swap is probably a fair deal and should be done somewhat early in the trade period.

Clears a list spot for us and gets points for our twin bids.

Not sure I agree entirely with that. If the blues want to keep him, and there is a chance they will, he might be valued a bit more than a fourth round pick swap.

especially considering he played 15 games this year.

Not sure I agree entirely with that. If the blues want to keep him, and there is a chance they will, he might be valued a bit more than a fourth round pick swap.

especially considering he played 15 games this year.
Seems more likely than not that Jack lands at the eagles. Third round pick seems fairer to me. I mean, I really like the kid,

has quiet a lot of upside. Still very young and I think with a big pre-season, we will see him increase his tank. If we do lose

him, will be a bit disappointed. He will become a vey good mid, in a season or two imo.

Don't think it will happen, but I would prefer if we traded either Kennedy or Hewett and kept Carroll. The whole balance of

our midfield is obviously wrong, Matty and George are proven performers and should get us a lot more than Jack. Jack does

have some burst speed and a very powerful left peg. Worth at least a third rounder imo.

Can I ask your thoughts on him and if you see potential upside?

He has improved each year with us, played 15 games this year, although a few as sub, i can see him improving more in a team where he can be an important player rather than a fringe player.

A pick in the 40s i think is fair.

Given we are on the verge of exorcising the demons so to speak regarding the perennially injured, it does the beg the question how many recruits/trades in the past were given the go ahead on the basis of ā€œdonā€™t worry about the injury history, we have the best in the business to fix thatā€.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back