List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Soapy V goes BANG. Love it.
I know things change, so a massive thanks for these tidbits. :thumbsu:

Nothing outstanding but issue is I don't think you will see the big deals or anything that hasn't discussed. Austin's focus hasn't changed

What I am hoping for (and I'm told we are keen) is to trade future picks for this year to get another 1 or 2 inside Top 25.

Hayne acquisition is ok but the key need is a KPD.

If we can bring in a KPD and Haynes that will free up McGovern to move forward (3rd tall). We also have kemp and Jsos for the 3rd tall forward role.

And it means weā€™ll have the flexibility of playing weits young and new KPD on the tall forwards.

Itā€™s a really important need imo.

We tried this. He wasn't even AFL standard. It's why he was sent to defence.

Nothing outstanding but issue is I don't think you will see the big deals or anything that hasn't discussed. Austin's focus hasn't changed

What I am hoping for (and I'm told we are keen) is to trade future picks for this year to get another 1 or 2 inside Top 25.
Loving that prospect Soap, but we need to create more spots to accommodate them.

Popular thoughts have the reported delistings, plus Martin, Carroll and Owies probable/possible outs. Only two main listers gone to date (by reports) three more being talked about. Five spots. Would be hue and cry if we donā€™t retain Boyd, which means a spot gone for upgrade.

That only leaves four main list spots without some creativity or left field out going trades. I would love a handful of main list draftees including the Campos. To do that we need at least one more spot. That is before trading anyone in.

Austin has an unenviable juggling the list. Needs a minor miracle to get it all done. Waiting on the whingers when he doesnā€™t give what the impractical among us want.

Loving that prospect Soap, but we need to create more spots to accommodate them.

Popular thoughts have the reported delistings, plus Martin, Carroll and Owies probable/possible outs. Only two main listers gone to date (by reports) three more being talked about. Five spots. Would be hue and cry if we donā€™t retain Boyd, which means a spot gone for upgrade.

That only leaves four main list spots without some creativity or left field out going trades. I would love a handful of main list draftees including the Campos. To do that we need at least one more spot. That is before trading anyone in.

Austin has an unenviable juggling the list. Needs a minor miracle to get it all done. Waiting on the whingers when he doesnā€™t give what the impractical among us want.

Itā€™s why I still struggle with 2 years extensions for Durdin Young Cottrell etc before they are out of contract. Made no sense to me

Last edited:
These are the type of deals we will do. Names like Rosas, Konstanty, Garcia, Haynes and more are who we are speaking to. I expect a couple of announcements straight after GF.

This coupled with Campo twins and a couple of high drafts picks is what Austin wants. Also, has eye on 1 or 2 mature State League type players as rookies, SSP's. We have been extremely active this year to fill some holes on our list

I know people want Houston, but if what I am told is correct, we aren't actively chasing him. However, if he wanted to come to us and on our terms of course we would do it. Austin wants to use Pick 11 in the draft

Consistent comment to me is strategy as I have mentioned and be in a position to chase some FA's, pre agents in 2025 when we will be in a great position SC wise to do 2-3 deals if needed
If this is true then this would be one of the more sensible off seasons we've had in some time.

Yeah, unless we change our list structure which seems unlikely given how we seem to go about it.

Moving Fantasia to the Rookie List would seem to be a relatively simple way to open another Senior spot.

Sounds like a well considered, balanced approach. Adding value for money players plus drafting for the future (possible that these types can contribute next year). This plus throwing the existing mix of tried and true 23 players and younger guys will have us in a better position to take steps forward. If we can somehow land Houston as well, then great.

We need to get creative with what we currently have and train them accordingly this pre season.

We tried this. He wasn't even AFL standard. It's why he was sent to defence.
Until I see us moving the ball between the arcs and into f50 in a much more meaningful way I dont want to judge any players ability.

Mcgov is a high impact player...He loved taking speckies...and hes generally a good kick...until that time (4-5 weeks ago?) when he kicked OOBOTF after the siren to win us the game (šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø)

Possibly if it made us better.
The only one I could see us cutting if not contracted would be Corey Durdin if we made a fitness/body call on him. But we re-signed him in May, later than all the others. A play like Young we simply couldnā€™t afford to cut, we have no tall defender depth, and itā€™s seemingly difficult to bring more in.

Maybe we trade someone like Pitto, but him being contracted puts us in a better position.

These are the type of deals we will do. Names like Rosas, Konstanty, Garcia, Haynes and more are who we are speaking to. I expect a couple of announcements straight after GF.

This coupled with Campo twins and a couple of high drafts picks is what Austin wants. Also, has eye on 1 or 2 mature State League type players as rookies, SSP's. We have been extremely active this year to fill some holes on our list

I know people want Houston, but if what I am told is correct, we aren't actively chasing him. However, if he wanted to come to us and on our terms of course we would do it. Austin wants to use Pick 11 in the draft

Consistent comment to me is strategy as I have mentioned and be in a position to chase some FA's, pre agents in 2025 when we will be in a great position SC wise to do 2-3 deals if needed
I like this approach.
For me, I see our list in 2 to 3 year blocks. In next 2 or 3 years we'll lose a number of key defenders as they retire, then there is the next 2 or 3 years until Cripps retires, then the Weitering/ Curnow/ Mackay group, then after that will be the younger players (built around Walsh, etc).
Whilst we've got McGovern and Newman, a Haynes type becomes depth plus support in VFL. Draft a young KPD either this year or next year, plus a wise trade (maybe next year). The Rosas/ Konstanty/ Garcia option (1 or 2 at most) would be great, plus a smart draft pick up this year.
For me, however, needs to come from better injury management (including moving on perennially injured), plus some better game structures.
Whilst I was disappointed at how our year finished, I am not all doom and gloom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only one I could see us cutting if not contracted would be Corey Durdin if we made a fitness/body call on him. But we re-signed him in May, later than all the others. A play like Young we simply couldnā€™t afford to cut, we have no tall defender depth, and itā€™s seemingly difficult to bring more in.

Maybe we trade someone like Pitto, but him being contracted puts us in a better position.

Itā€™s about flexibility and options. They cost senior money, arenā€™t kids or established. Poor business practice IMO

You know what, maybe a KPD isn't an immediate need.

Young came in late in the year and was genuinely not terrible. He has his moments here and there, he's not the quickest of minds nor the most reliable user of the ball, but the reality is that 95% of KPDs can be described the same way. We're certainly not getting a 197cm KPD with elite decision making, disposal, intercepting, agility etc. for anything less than a king's ransom.

He had a few really strong defensive efforts that even had the normally stoic Weitering jogging over to give him a pat on the back.

I reckon it would be genuinely possible to build a strong backline around the Weitering/Young pairing, as long as we're preferencing good users of the footy who can play accountable defense and then create on the turnover. Newman, Saad, Boyd, Cowan, McGovern, Docherty, Wilson if he warrants selection, Hollands could play off half back, Kemp, Williams and Cincotta have moved elsewhere but could head back to the backline if needed, Haynes if we pick him up, someone like Travaglia if we opt for him in the draft...there's plenty there to work with.

One KPD with iffy disposal isn't crippling as long as we play for it.

And if we're forward planning like I expect, then next off-season presents a few opportunities for genuine class KPDs. Andrews, Collins, Ballard, Balta all free agents and excellent defenders. SDK out of contract and a proven young KPD. Aleer and Derksen out of contract and viable budget options.

If we don't pick up a KPD this year I expect there will be a lynch mob calling for Austin's head. But if we don't pick up a KPD this year, it would give me great confidence that we're having productive talks with one or more of the players listed above.

Last edited:

Young came in late in the year and was genuinely not terrible. He has his moments here and there, he's not the quickest of minds nor the most reliable user of the ball, but the reality is that 95% of KPDs can be described the same way. We're certainly not getting a 197cm KPD with elite decision making, disposal, intercepting, agility etc. for anything less than a king's ransom.

He had a few really strong defensive efforts that even had the normally stoic Weitering jogging over to give him a pat on the back.

I reckon it would be genuinely possible to build a strong backline around the Weitering/Young pairing, as long as we're preferencing good users of the footy who can play accountable defense and then create on the turnover. Newman, Saad, Boyd, Cowan, McGovern, Docherty, Wilson if he warrants selection, Hollands could play off half back, Kemp, Williams and Cincotta have moved elsewhere but could head back to the backline if needed, Haynes if we pick him up, someone like Travaglia if we opt for him in the draft...there's plenty there to work with.

And if we're forward planning like I expect, then next off-season presents a few opportunities for genuine class KPDs. Andrews, Collins, Ballard, Balta all free agents and excellent defenders. SDK out of contract and a proven young KPD. Aleer and Derksen out of contract and viable budget options.

If we don't pick up a KPD this year I expect there will be a lynch mob calling for Austin's head. But if we don't pick up a KPD this year, it would give me great confidence that we're having productive talks with one of more of the players listed above.
For me the issue is not so much Young, as it is that after him there is nobody else.
Losing Marchy and Durdin, I think we should be looking to bring in 3 tall defenders. Haynes FA is one, although not true KPD, but then Iā€™d want say draftee and a mature rookie.

If we don't pick up a KPD this year I expect there will be a lynch mob calling for Austin's head. But if we don't pick up a KPD this year, it would give me great confidence that we're having productive talks with one of more of the players listed above.
The sentiment is nice but the reality is he had a one off good game - & to be honest he was still slow to make decisions & u donā€™t want him kicking it.

He isnā€™t the answer, weā€™ve been down this road and it leads to disappointment, if he can explode in the pre season and get markedly quicker in movement/thought, improve his kicking skills, develop a harder/more aggressive edge & increase his footy IQ to better than average then - letā€™s go Lewis!
Donā€™t see that happening thou

For me the issue is not so much Young, as it is that after him there is nobody else.
Losing Marchy and Durdin, I think we should be looking to bring in 3 tall defenders. Haynes FA is one, although not true KPD, but then Iā€™d want say draftee and a mature rookie.

I missed him in the other post, but I'd absolutely be getting JSOS to train with the defenders a bit this preseason. I think his path to Best 22 is versatility. Third tall forward, third tall defender/pinch hitting KPD, ruck relief, bit of time on a wing as a marking target, bit of time on ball in general play (not CBAs) - he can genuinely do it all to a reasonable standard.

Weitering + Young + Gov down back.
Kemp forward but able to swing back if required.
JSOS as a utility off the bench or as first tall depth option (let's be honest, 75% of the time we'll be missing a tall somewhere).
Haynes as depth unless his form warrants selection over Gov (genuine possibility).
Lemmey...still unclear where we see his best footy.

I reckon it's workable. I agree that one developing KPD would be good, or a mature age state leaguer, but that player may be number 7 or 8 in the pecking order and it's doubtful they have any meaningful impact on 2025. If we're after a Ballard, Balta, Aleer or Derksen then the developing KPD is probably not required.

The sentiment is nice but the reality is he had a one off good game - & to be honest he was still slow to make decisions & u donā€™t want him kicking it.

He isnā€™t the answer, weā€™ve been down this road and it leads to disappointment, if he can explode in the pre season and get markedly quicker in movement/thought, improve his kicking skills, develop a harder/more aggressive edge & increase his footy IQ to better than average then - letā€™s go Lewis!

The "reality" is he actually played a pretty good season for us not that long ago, and then regressed. Coming back in and doing a reasonable job might be the outlier, but could also be representative of him finding some form and confidence again.

I don't think he's the answer long term, but even that is an opinion and I'm mindful that he could prove us all wrong and provide 5-7 years of decent football. But with the calibre of players on the market next year, I reckon we could at the very least make use of him in 2025, as long as we're prepared to accept that every side, even premiership sides, find roles for players with limitations.

Thanks for the info big fella. Love your work lately.

The "reality" is he actually played a pretty good season for us not that long ago, and then regressed. Coming back in and doing a reasonable job might be the outlier, but could also be representative of him finding some form and confidence again.

I don't think he's the answer long term, but even that is an opinion and I'm mindful that he could prove us all wrong and provide 5-7 years of decent football. But with the calibre of players on the market next year, I reckon we could at the very least make use of him in 2025, as long as we're prepared to accept that every side, even premiership sides, find roles for players with limitations.

Agree. I'm not a Young fan and would like to repalce him but it's not easy and in last few games he was solid. Handy list player but I don't want to be relying on him

You missed the key point though, which is we could have our sights on someone in 2025

Great stuff, exactly what I want to hear. Chasing appropriate players and making really solid decisions. If we can land some of these names and they perform as we hope they will then that will make an impact for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back