List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Great stuff, exactly what I want to hear. Chasing appropriate players and making really solid decisions. If we can land some of these names and they perform as we hope they will then that will make an impact for us.

I have no knowledge of anyone but constant talk is we are speaking with everyone possible and have been more active than ever before. Even adding staff. I expect a name or two will arise that we haven't discussed or considered.

Chances Lewis Young can add some size and strength to his frame and hold down CHB next season while Weitering has more freedom?

I don't think it's out of the equation. This worked for us in the remaining few games including the final against The Lions.

It's a different role to what we have used him in the past where he has had to play lose as a back pocket (third tall). It's a less confusing more simple role he can actually play.

Weitering is the smart player who can play CHB or back pocket.

We just need to really crank up the pace and pressure in the middle so guys like Weitering and McGovern can play loser and we have an amazing intercepting defence.

I'm not writing this off. Young defended well and took a few marks when in position. It's a simple role which he has always needed.

Chances Lewis Young can add some size and strength to his frame and hold down CHB next season while Weitering has more freedom?

I don't think it's out of the equation. This worked for us in the remaining few games including the final against The Lions.

It's a different role to what we have used him in the past where he has had to play lose as a back pocket (third tall). It's a less confusing more simple role he can actually play.

We just need to really crank up the pace and pressure in the middle so guys like Weitering and McGovern can play loser and we have an amazing intercepting defence.

I'm not writing this off. Young defended well and took a few marks when in position. It's a simple role which he has always needed.
I think Young's kicking has improved. Hit up Hewitt with a well weighted pass inside 50 and had a great outlet kick against Lions. Looked shaky against the Saints when Pitto and Kemp were the long down the line targets out numbered 2 to 1.

These are the type of deals we will do. Names like Rosas, Konstanty, Garcia, Haynes and more are who we are speaking to. I expect a couple of announcements straight after GF.

This coupled with Campo twins and a couple of high drafts picks is what Austin wants. Also, has eye on 1 or 2 mature State League type players as rookies, SSP's. We have been extremely active this year to fill some holes on our list

I know people want Houston, but if what I am told is correct, we aren't actively chasing him. However, if he wanted to come to us and on our terms of course we would do it. Austin wants to use Pick 11 in the draft

Consistent comment to me is strategy as I have mentioned and be in a position to chase some FA's, pre agents in 2025 when we will be in a great position SC wise to do 2-3 deals if needed
Very pleased to hear this to be honest.

Only concern is the list space, would need to move on all of Carroll, Martin, Owies (thats fine), but also likely add the contracted duo of Kennedy and Pittonet to that list in order to provide space for incomings, on top of the 6 rumoured delistings.

3 senior list trades/FA - Rosas, Haynes & Sinn
3 senior list draft - Berry, Trainor & B Campo
1 rookie promotion - Boyd
2 rookie pre-selections - L Campo (Cat A), Duffy (Cat B)
2 mature age rookie/SSP picks - Macpherson (former Suns), White (Carlton VFL)

Hopefully we can retain our future picks to go for Butters as a pre-agent in 2025 and also go for our KPD2 in Balta as a FA.

I'd be aiming to turn our currency from Carroll, Martin, Owies, Kennedy and Pittonet, + our current 2nd rounder into Rosas, Sinn, another pick around 15ish + some loose change upgrade for a B Campo bid.

Next year will be the clincher re Young becoming a staple in the backline. He showed good signs when he came in at the back end and was good against the Lions. Given his age too, it would be great king term if he can ultimately form a good combo with Weitering.

Otherwise itā€™ll be up to big H to take the CHB mantle haha.

Lewis Young fails in the one thing he can't improve - football IQ and decision making. You can't teach that. He's an anxious, dumb footballer. You can't fix that after I dunno, Under 14's.

Young can play....just needs self belief

Yeah, but it is the inconsistency that just annoys everyone. He plays 1 good game then the next 3-4 game he looks like a headless chook and shanks kicks. If he can perform what he did against Brisbane each week and out and improved kicking than no issues with him.

I am confidently told this is NOT an issue. We chased Hayward (glad we failed), could get Houston or Petracca into our salary cap if we wanted
Our actions will be whatā€™s important and that doesnā€™t mean signing stars, I just hope we do a bit to fix our needs.

Lewis Young fails in the one thing he can't improve - football IQ and decision making. You can't teach that. He's an anxious, dumb footballer. You can't fix that after I dunno, Under 14's.
To be fair so is Darcy Moore. They found a way of hiding that for a few years with some smart footballers around him in Howe, Murphy and Maynard

I have no knowledge of anyone but constant talk is we are speaking with everyone possible and have been more active than ever before. Even adding staff. I expect a name or two will arise that we haven't discussed or considered.

Was it you Soapy who spoke about some defender playing for Werribee?

I think it was you, however, who it was spoke highly of him. Hope the LM have had a look at him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me the issue is not so much Young, as it is that after him there is nobody else.
Losing Marchy and Durdin, I think we should be looking to bring in 3 tall defenders. Haynes FA is one, although not true KPD, but then Iā€™d want say draftee and a mature rookie.
E Himmelberg should be in the mix ... wanted out from Adelaide previously to join his brother and deal couldn't de done. There's other talls ahead of him at Adelaide. Does give me Lewis Young 2.0 vibes however.

I think Young's kicking has improved. Hit up Hewitt with a well weighted pass inside 50 and had a great outlet kick against Lions. Looked shaky against the Saints when Pitto and Kemp were the long down the line targets out numbered 2 to 1.

Pure confidence player.

Is easily AFL standard when his confidence is up, in fact a good AFL player.

Is below VFL standard when he makes a mistake and drops his head.

Wouldn't hurt for Weitering to get around him more often than giving him sprays.

You know what, maybe a KPD isn't an immediate need.

Young came in late in the year and was genuinely not terrible. He has his moments here and there, he's not the quickest of minds nor the most reliable user of the ball, but the reality is that 95% of KPDs can be described the same way. We're certainly not getting a 197cm KPD with elite decision making, disposal, intercepting, agility etc. for anything less than a king's ransom.

He had a few really strong defensive efforts that even had the normally stoic Weitering jogging over to give him a pat on the back.

I reckon it would be genuinely possible to build a strong backline around the Weitering/Young pairing, as long as we're preferencing good users of the footy who can play accountable defense and then create on the turnover. Newman, Saad, Boyd, Cowan, McGovern, Docherty, Wilson if he warrants selection, Hollands could play off half back, Kemp, Williams and Cincotta have moved elsewhere but could head back to the backline if needed, Haynes if we pick him up, someone like Travaglia if we opt for him in the draft...there's plenty there to work with.

One KPD with iffy disposal isn't crippling as long as we play for it.

And if we're forward planning like I expect, then next off-season presents a few opportunities for genuine class KPDs. Andrews, Collins, Ballard, Balta all free agents and excellent defenders. SDK out of contract and a proven young KPD. Aleer and Derksen out of contract and viable budget options.

If we don't pick up a KPD this year I expect there will be a lynch mob calling for Austin's head. But if we don't pick up a KPD this year, it would give me great confidence that we're having productive talks with one or more of the players listed above.
Totally agree. I actually reckon he's had a pretty good season bar a few matches where he went into his shell.

One thing that was evident during the 2nd half of the season was that he was moving the ball a lot quicker than previously. It's obviously something they've been working on, and has the summer to work on it even more. And contrary to one poster's remarks earlier, he's a fairly powerful unit and doesn't need to work on his size and strength. I remember listening to Josh Jenkins on SEN after we'd drafted Lewy - said that he'd played on him a few times and was surprised how strong he was in the contest.

No doubt we need to draft/develop a young KPD though, particularly before the compromised drafts in a few years.

In between times, I reckon it's a no brainer that we add Liam McMahon to our list. He's primarily a forward - and a very good one imo - but has also been used in defence at different times to plug holes, and has also been good when called upon. Classic swingman, good back up option either forward or back - and would cost us nothing if we signed him as a DFA, or even a rookie pick.

Chicken or egg?

Poor decision making & IQ because of anxiety, or anxious because he is a poor decision maker with poor IQ?

I reckon it's the former. If he can get his mental right he can be the answer. Overthinks everything too much before doing anything.

David Cuningham, Caleb Marchbank, Jack Martin, Alex Mirkov and Dom Akuei Delisted.

Iā€™m loving Soapyā€™s insight on what List Management is planning. Hopefully it is not derailed by the coaching staff.

To me, there are lots of little things we need to do for a flag, rather than one big thing.

I actually think the 1995 pre-season is instructive:

• went to the draft to address the most immediate need (speed) with Scott Camporeale
  • got involved in low cost trades to address other holes on the list (Manton, Clape)
  • engaged in player development to provide for flexibility beyond the senior stars (Ratten, Kouta, Whitehead)
  • worked on injury rehab for guys who had been injury prone (Rice, Pearce)

I feel like we are in the same space this year.

• look at the draft to fix the deficiency in pace, kicking skills, and small forwards - Berry, Travaglia, Horton
  • find low cost trades to address areas of need - Konstanty, Haynes
  • put time into player development, including players in roles where they might address current team deficiencies - Kemp, Wilson, Moir, Lord, Cowan
  • sort out injury rehab - Curnow, Cerra

Outsider here but I was shocked by Jack Martin being delisted. Admittedly, I haven't watched all that much in recent months but last I could remember was a valuable piece to the Blues. Has this view been shifted by Blues fans? Genuinely curious!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back