Doesn't mean he isn't a good player
2. Long Contract and borderline veteran
We have a number of players on long contracts and no where near veteran status

3. Squeezes salary Cap
All that matter is having enough room

4. Doesn't fix transition issues with 1 player. It is as much system
Every player of this ilk improves transition

5. He is a flanker, which are a dime a dozen, developed internally
No one rates Houston as dime a dozen, nor are any of our youth guaranteed to play at his level in the next couple of years

6. Save the big money for mids and key positions
We have an elite spine, and Houston has and can play through the middle

7. Carlton does not have a high strike rate on this stuff
Newman, Acres, Hewett, Kennedy, Docherty, Boyd and Elijah tracking nicely, all from other clubs

I understand he has very little very but something is better than nothing. Even factoring in goodwill building with the manager or other clubs it seems silly to give him away for nothing when value couldā€™ve been extracted.

Martin might have been worth a pick 60ish. We have probably done the maths and realise we wouldn't even use the pick?

Either way we got Jack for nothing. He leaves for nothing. Fair enough.

I've got a bad feeling Austin is planning to hold onto Sam Durdin.

What a joke.

I think he has his eye on some replacements. If he canā€™t get any we may offer Durdin a one year deal on bugger all as cover

From a list point of view I understand it but Iā€™m confident Austin will get someone else

Unlike last week's selection debacles, I am right behind all of these cuts.šŸ‘

But need to go a little deeper IMO, S.Durdin, Carroll?

Can't believe we gave Fantasia two years. :straining:

As it stands we will have 5 spots and probably one or two more.

What a golden opportunity but please no more MIRKOV's . ( didn't need to be a genius to see he was never going to make it)

Spent what?..5 years taking a spot that somebody like a Lord could have had. That kills a club.

Thanks to Marchy, Cunners and Martin for their efforts but all were given more than enough chances.
Sadly all made of crepe paper.

I am excited. A clean slate and salary cap space to get some talent in ....... We NEED SPEED!!!

Last edited:
Outsider here but I was shocked by Jack Martin being delisted. Admittedly, I haven't watched all that much in recent months but last I could remember was a valuable piece to the Blues. Has this view been shifted by Blues fans? Genuinely curious!
He is off contact AFL rules need 3 spots in draft we have extra player on list so that Cunningham, Marchbank and Martin i think another has to go.

He can play but is injured majority we have to pay off Silvagni or Fantasia to keep him on main list as those 2 would be first in line for 2025 delisted if not playing regular in the league.

Markova and Akeui are rookies so their spot be taken as rookie i presume unless Martin get keep on rookie list he get rookie pay but his now bound for Fremantle. We still need to delist another Durdin will go if Haynes comes in and we may get a trade in as senior list.

Cincotta and Boyd both rookies not sure how long can be rookies until made seniors. Carroll and Owies are both Carlton required but are waiting for contract both.

They both would have triggered new contracts playing more than 13 games but both wanting more opportunities and longer deals and money so both possible moving to new clubs.

I personally think Owies will be a casualty to free money for Weitering, TDK next year and Walsh will come out of contract year after.

I think we will see a couple retirement after next year or leaving to cut more cost so players like Mcgovern and Saad will take a cut if was to stay but Cerra may move so that will cut cost.

I be suprise if we get Houston if we get him this year it will definitely need some player or 2 gone on good money and some on good money playing VFL. He aint coming cheap with money and crappy picks.

Why the hell do we delist them, instead of getting something back for them?
I know we're now getting 1st rounders or anything, but surely a 2nd rounder is better than nothing...
Drives me nuts.
We don't need the picks.
It's about freeing up the cash to throw fowards the Bont.

If he promises to change his ways, I would love for the club to rookie Sebit Kuek and turn him into a KPD.

Kid has too much raw talent at 200cm to be cut loose this early.

Sold, he can kick the hell out of a footyā€¦Freebie project is always a bit of fun on a rookie list.
So what ā€œwaysā€ does he need to change?

True, missed that he was listed.
He was out all year if their still a rookie spot i am sure he will survive. The club wouldn't have taken him if they didn't see anything of benefit. I think they like too see how he go in second year as he was ruled out like Duffy from Ireland ijured.

Sold, he can kick the hell out of a footyā€¦Freebie project is always a bit of fun on a rookie list.
So what ā€œwaysā€ does he need to change?
Needs to stay away from his ā€œfriendsā€ in Perth. Focus solely on footy.

He can do some unbelievably freaky things with his height, leap and breakaway speed.

At 3:30 in the vid, I could watch his side step all day.

Last edited:
S Durdin, Fantasia, M Carrol need to go.
Pressure Austin to punt on the draft. I would rather cut hard than be conservative. If the right trade deal comes for Owies, Kemp and motlop take it. Mcmahon, Rosa and Konstanty can compensate
Fantasia and Silvagni are both contracted another year. I am guessing Fantasia contact demanded 2 years to come to us and i think Voss rates him. Silvagni done his knee this year so he need a good year in the 1 if to stay contact i would be looking to do what Zac Fisher done extend career elsewhere unless he get kept as a rookie or make way end of 2025. Fisher was smart he knew his contract was up end of 2025 next year and added a few years more at North. Silvagni should be looking at North while he can as they looking for some matured players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think he still ends up there? I do. Now it'll be a free hit. Give him a small contract with various triggers. How much do they then really lose if it doesn't work out?
They might have the best fitness guru in the business and think they can fix him ā€¦ wouldnā€™t be the first club to take that stance.

Fantasia and Silvagni are both contracted another year. I am guessing Fantasia contact demanded 2 years to come to us and i think Voss rates him. Silvagni done his knee this year so he need a good year in the 1 if to stay contact i would be looking to do what Zac Fisher done extend career elsewhere unless he get kept as a rookie or make way end of 2025. Fisher was smart he knew his contract was up end of 2025 next year and added a few years more at North. Silvagni should be looking at North while he can as they looking for some matured players.
Try that out on the Norf board and see what reaction you get ;) Zero chance he'd want to go there, and less than zero that Norf would want him.

Dissapointed we couldn't get ANYTHING for Martin. Would have liked Freo to give us a Future 3rd or something token. But alas.
No one going to do that we would be called stingy and worse he was off contract and always injured he is 30 also. I think doing that clubs will remember next time we deal with us we make it difficult for us.

Loved Cunners but unfortunately just couldn't get his body right, and we can no longer afford to carry too many of those types of injury prone players as this year has shown. As for Marchbank and Martin, their bodies are clearly cooked as well, let someone else have that headache.

STILL amazed Owies hasn't been resigned, if we keep Fantasia into 2025 over Owies I will spit chips.
Owies is required player but Weitering and TDK is more same as Walsh and if Houston coming he is definitely gone. I say we got the cash for him but i feel we may be over the cap if we do. The club would be looking at 2025 and 2026 list who contact up and likely to have a long contract and what the market they attract plus if any kid has a big year. Owies would be offered probably several hundred thousands more and wanting a long contact he is 28 soon club takes all that in also. He will be a lost we had the same issues years ago with Aaron Hamill low ball knowing we were tight with salary cap because the older players were greedy and Hamill was our Curnow at the time he was better than Whitnall.

I would trade Owies too while he seems to be the flavour of the month and we could possibly get something for him or assist in the Houston deal.

He is limited ,we know it......... Forward defensive pressure is next to zero, a horrible field kick, not quick and can be a shocking decision maker.

A very good set shot for goal and can find space. THAT IS ALL!

I feel the club are on the same wavelength hence no deal as yet.

Last edited:
This whole Owies thing is bizarre and I canā€™t get my head around it.

Thought we were making him wait to tie up other things but looks like we want to trade him?

Why?

I donā€™t rate him that highly but geez itā€™s ballsy considering our small fwd stocks.

My mate who supports an opposition team said he reckons Owies doesnā€™t celebrate with his teammates enough, and they noticeably interact weirdly with him.

I didnā€™t see it, but I dunno maybe something in it, because itā€™s a genuinely weird move here.

Good moves by the club, we need at least 5 list spots, to be frank I would move a few more on.
We will. I'd be surprised if more than 1 of the following was on the list next year: S.Durdin; M.Carroll, J.Carroll; M.Owies. I also wouldn't be surprised to see another 'surprise trade'. All a guess, but it's the way I see it...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back