List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume that getting in Haynes (together with Gov and Weitering) makes Young surplus to requirements?

What do our supporters genuinely feel about this? I donā€™t know much about Haynes. Should we feel put off by his age?
Hard to get excited about recruiting a guy who turns 33 next year , 3rd tall defender (which we don't really need) and hasn't played particularly good footy for 3 years. We will probably be offering him a 2 year contract. Now if it was 2019 I would have been keen.

Last edited:

Re Haynes

Age is one issue (32) and his last game with gws wasn't too crash hot by reports on here..

I hope we are looking to bring in a genuine KPD others if we lose Young as well (likely) it might be another repeat of 2024 season šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Only going to take an injury to weits or durdin (assuming we keep) or gov or haynes (if we get him) to become deficient in the backline again.

Hadn't seen it posted in the rumour thread yet, hence did - now somehow it's list management, though it's not reported by GWS that he is to nominate us, only that he is not playing for them next year?

Some journo's reporting that he will nominate Carlton and it's already being discussed in here and post was moved to LM to keep it all in the same thread.

Makes it much easier to follow discussion that way.

Lol we were literally rated #1 for bringing the ball to ground inside our forward 50 before Curnow and McKay got injured.

We were also #1 for scores per inside 50 up until round 20.

A huge "win" considering we kick it 80% of the time to our KPF's after flooding our inside 50. We often had insane efficiency going inside 50 for a quarter or two before it would dry up completely too. I'd love to know what % of contests our small forwards actually won over the season.

Our forward line had a KPF who barely contested (Curnow) and the worst small forwards in the game. Durdin alone often took up our KPF's space to lead into and often contested them in the air too.

Sam Walsh and Kennedy are average kicks that our structure and coaching made rancid.
With all these flaws weā€™ve had in the foward line this year. We were still the second highest scoring team.

With all these flaws weā€™ve had in the foward line this year. We were still the second highest scoring team.

I'm not being critical because I think we are no hopers that's for sure. Teams stacked with talent and I think we should be the highest scoring by far if we get good luck with injuries. We can blow away a team in 2 quarters then suddenly drop off a cliff for an entire half. I hope our coaching and list is better at keeping opposition momentum in check in 2025.

I'm not being critical because I think we are no hopers that's for sure. Teams stacked with talent and I think we should be the highest scoring by far if we get good luck with injuries. We can blow away a team in 2 quarters then suddenly drop off a cliff for an entire half. I hope our coaching and list is better at keeping opposition momentum in check in 2025.
100% when up and running we kick 7-8 in a quarter. But then we go missing the very next quarter

Sort of held off while I had a think about the most recent report. For what it's worth:

Kennedy: Think it's the right decision. He's a limited player we have an excess of. Makes sense to cash in while there is still some value.

Young: Played a great last final, overall though he doesn't offer enough. If we can get something for him and target a replacement (either in the draft or by trade) I think it's the wise move.

Owies: Probably would rather keep based on his output. Especially as I see him as the best small forward of a weak bunch.

We have to remember we have Ben Campo coming in that plays that inside role and Cooper Lord who showed a lot of promise in 2 games playing that role also. Losing both Young and Kennedy probably frees up at least 500k also.

Taking emotion out of it, losing 2 of those 3 would be a wise decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% when up and running we kick 7-8 in a quarter. But then we go missing the very next quarter

It's gotten to the point that you can "feel" the team switching off during games at this point. Hopefully we add some types who enjoy pummeling the opposition.

Cerra not a genuine mid?

Was ruined by injury this year but a pretty important cog when fit. Clearly our best performing mid first half of '23 when everyone else somehow forgot how to play footy.
Cerra has been a failed trade. He has not performed to the value of Pick 6 we paid

Our plan should be that we have moved on from Kennedy and Hewett by 2026. I'm hoping that Lord becomes one of the types we need, his two games were very impressive to me. I'm also hoping the same for Ben Camporeale. In the meantime we also need to recruit a mature onball player of the right needs.

I'll judge the trades when/if they happen. Unfortunately we are late to the party with our midfield build. Comes down to a lot of things. Our recruiters failure to recruit the right types of mids. All the quicker mids except Walsh recruited under SOS were failures because there was no focus on closing speed and tackling, it seemed to be all about possessions and athleticism.

Also out last two coaches. Teams knew about the coming rule changes. I think many coaches failed to see how it would change the game and some succeeded in identifying the game becoming less congested, more outside and more about pace and run. Neiter Teague or Voss directed our recruiting staff to recruit faster more agile onballers who have good closing speed and good tackling skills as well as good offensive skills. Or so it appears.

So we need to get with it and fix this now.

Haynes' age is fine. If he can give us two or three years great. That gives us time to recruit the next key defender or recruit a youngster and have them developing. Geelong have been the best team in the game and they are a side that does not shun older players. Lessons to learn.

People who are happy to get rid of Owies and Kennedy need to remember they kicked 49 goals between them this season. That's 49 goals we need to find next season.
Yep, what comes in needs to benefit us compared to what goes out. That is also another reason to trade them. They have value and we should be able to lose them and still improve next season. We need players, we have an excess of certain types. We lack trade/draft currency. I'm hoping we have something really good up our sleeves.

Cerra has been a failed trade. He has not performed to the value of Pick 6 we paid

Cerra probably wins our BNF last season if he didn't get injured against Collingwood. 2024 we can write off due to injury and poor management but I don't think he is a bust.

I think many coaches failed to see how it would change the game and some succeeded in identifying the game becoming less congested, more outside and more about pace and run.
This is what I love about Wells as a recruiter and Scott as a coach. They requested Holmes because he had the outside speed and they identified that their team lacked that aspect.

They also recruited and drafted Close, Stengle, Miers.... This helped with the small ball approach to complement their list.

We have attempted over time to address our list needs. Wilson, Philip, Saad are a few examples of players selected for their speed and we've just not nailed a selection currently from the draft.

Still annoyed we skipped Rivers but I thought the Hawks were crazy selecting the Wizard with pick 5, but they seemed to be ahead of the curve with regards to gameplay.

Motlop has not really progressed to become that small forward we required. Moir needs to work on his tank and he looks like a great forward option.

I still think kicking skills can make any player look quicker than their baseline speed. Pendlebury can make the game slow down around him due to his vision and ability.
Kemp has the attacking kicking mindset I love, but just needs to learn the correct combination of attack and defense. We need to learn to switch the play a little more and that is across all phases of the game, from our mids to our backs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back