List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

So bit left field, but is Brew from Werribee worth a look?
Coached by Aker in Albury, teammate of Mannagh whoā€™s now at the Cats.
Bolted in the Liston, 27, but is that really an issue?
Anyone seen him play?
Riley Bice from Werribee is probably a better fit (and more likely to be looked at - invited to State Combine already)

Goes to show that the players are out there, just need to have the right eyes scouting and development upon recruiting. #12 MSD 2024 draft (#9 Cooper Lord ā˜‘ļø)
Absolutelyā€¦Iā€™m not sure how much time and effort we put in looking for these types but I think itā€™s well worth it.

There would have to be a lot of talented players that for whatever reason did not make afl first time around and have changed their mindset and dedicationā€¦or something has clicked in their lives

Not bagging Crippa out, but he's certainly done a lot of leadership training in recent years.

Very measured in his responses (and too cliched for my liking).

Yeah defintely, from his NAB rising star nominee interview to now is day and light.

Still don't really get the Houston pick. Sure he's a gun but not really required.

Just trying to determine which players we have on our list that cover Houston's skill set. Which would mean he is surplus to our needs?

In my personal opinion he is close to exactly what the club should obtain.
Small defender with elite kicking skills and endurance.

One of our biggest weaknesses was our ability to rebound from our backline. I would actually enjoy seeing what Hollands could do down back as well in the future. Many of your most attacking plays are set up from the back half.
Saad pinch hitting in the midfield would be something worth a look, just to add a more dynamic midfield group.

He's been elite at his position for years, those players are worth obtaining.

I would not mind some Daniels, Jones, Bedford styled small high half forwards that can pressure the ball.

Just trying to determine which players we have on our list that cover Houston's skill set. Which would mean he is surplus to our needs?

One of our biggest weaknesses was our ability to rebound from our backline. I would actually enjoy seeing what Hollands could do down back as well in the future. Many of your most attacking plays are set up from the back half.
Saad pinch hitting in the midfield would be something worth a look, just to add a more dynamic midfield group.

I would not mind some Daniels, Jones, Bedford styled small high half forwards that can pressure the ball.
Don't get me wrong he's a great fit I just don't want it to be at the cost of leaving KPD or small forward position thin. Believe we can cover that area better with current playing stock.

Young, S Durdin, Marchy all potentially leaving and a 32 year old filling their place doesn't leave me with a heap of confidence. If weiters ever goes down we would be royally ****ed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With NN 4 years older, bit of a must...

1726624716394.png

Not bagging Crippa out, but he's certainly done a lot of leadership training in recent years.

Very measured in his responses (and too cliched for my liking).
Not sure I agree, I think the messaging is what we need the team to buy into more.

Geelong never say anything except the cliche. Even when on a losing streek Scott said nothing but the consistent messaging, same from the players. They were all bought in, all the way, even if it was too dry to the fans/media. That consistency in messaging and standards never waivered. Sydney broadly speaking are the same, Horse gets a bit emotional at times but the vast majority of his messaging and that from the players is always on the same page and consistent. Fagan and the team in Brisbane are broadly the same. Craig McRae is always on message.

The key is to get the buy in. Cripps clearly has and he very clearly sets the standard consistently at the top. Voss keeps his messaging the same. I'd suggest we mostly hear the same from Weiters/Walsh/Harry week in and out, and we see the results.

Cripps for a long time now has trained heavily in mindfulness and has credited a lot for his growth in leadership and personal success, and the results speak for themselves. What might sound cliche and boring on the outside is actually exactly his mindset, and is why he's such a successful individual and driven leader.

Last edited:

It's not a matter of covering his skillset. There are few players in the comp that do.
He's a quality player & I doubt that anyone believes anything to the contrary but from an allocation of resources standpoint, it is open to question.
Most of our existing defensive cohort are attack first options, perhaps not to his standard but Saad, McGovern, Boyd & Weiters can offer plenty going forward & frankly, they are not the issue with our inability to transition the ball. They get the ball, look up & there's minimal options presenting.
IMO most of the issues with our ability to attack & defend stems from our midfield, lack of pace forward & inability to defend 1v1. So whilst a quality user is a obviously very nice addition & for the right price, you certainly don't say no but we have other, more pressing needs IMO.

Don't get me wrong he's a great fit I just don't want it to be at the cost of leaving KPD or small forward position thin. Believe we can cover that area better with current playing stock.

Young, S Durdin, Marchy all potentially leaving and a 32 year old filling their place doesn't leave me with a heap of confidence. If weiters ever goes down we would be royally ****ed!
Tomlinson would be a better fit for us vs Haynes (depending on $ā€™s).
His form is much better too of tge ageing players.

If we arenā€™t going to bring in a high quality player like a Houston then I really hope Austin is at least aggressive in trying to secure another pick in the top 20.

I like Tauru or Travaglia with our first pick and if we can get another pick in the late teens in the top 20 we could still snare Berry or Dattoli with that second pick going by Cal Twomeyā€™s latest phantom guide both will still be there in the late teens.

Add Konstanty through the trade period I think thatā€™s still a decent off season

All I can say, we must be confident about Harry Lemmey coming on next year as there isn't much else. While he did improve quite a bit late in the year I haven't quite seen it yet, at least for next year. Would solve alot if issues if he did.

It would be very difficult to bring in players the ilk of Houston as an example and an extra 1st round pick this year, without trading out quality and still securing the campo twins ( not that we would need early picks to match a bid)

The likes of Owies or Young would be 3rd rounders at best

Kennedy, a 2nd or upgrade of our 2nd

I'm starting to lean more towards the idea of stacking up on picks and using them to potentially trade up from 11 (if we love a guy who's available), secure the Campo twins, and then get creative with moneyball-type players, either through free agency or the rookie draft.

That said, Haynes is a bit of a head-scratcher for me. I assume he's a replacement for Marchbank, and either they have a very specific role in mind for him, or they see him as a versatile backup. But what do you think theyā€™re envisioning for his fit within the team?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back