List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. Really like the young man. Havenā€™t been able to understand why he didnā€™t become a half forward staple. Last seen playing mostly off a wing.

Donā€™t have the main list spots to accommodate him, but SSP rookie would be nice.

Having said that, due diligence required. Players with his apparent upside donā€™t fall from grace for no reason, usually.
Yeh I never understood the wing role - looked like he was developing into a real nice forward. Some comments under the post suggesting he's off to Saints but hope we'd at least have a look

We should be seriously looking at Dylan Shiel this offseason.

Ok before the pitchforks come out - hear me out.

We need speed and some additional running capacity/support through midfield and Shiel has found himself behind Merrett, Caldwell and Durham at the Bombers. Essendon have a glut of these players and we desperately need one to pair with Walsh and complement Cripps & Cerra/Hewett.

Yes he is turning 32 in March '25, but he can temporarily assist with our midfield mix before we can replace him. 2 year deal until he is 33 and then we move him on to open up Cody Walker's list spot.

I thought Shiel performed well when reintroduced into the side end of year, and was flirting with leaving essendon in 2023.

Reality is we need a point of difference in midfield. I have been on record saying we should target Butters in 2025 as a pre-agent (replacing Doch), so Shiel is merely a bridging trade.

FWIW, think Kennedy is a perfect fit at Essendon.

I'd be seeking Shiel and their future 1st & 3rd, while offering Kennedy, our future 2nd and perhaps North's future 2nd (Owies + our current 2nd).

Balance our midfield and have 2x 2025 1sts to put on the table for Butters next year (keep our 2026 picks for Cody bid).

2025 Midfield Rotation Depth Chart:

Half Fwd/Wing: E Hollands - J Binns
Half Fwd/Def Mid: A Cincotta - C Lord

Big Mid: P Cripps - B Camporeale
Def Mid: A Cerra - G Hewett
Burst Mid: D Shiel - B Wilson

Wing/Burst Mid: S Walsh - S Docherty
Wing: B Acres - M Duffy
To be perfectly honest, I don't hate this idea as he is exactly what we require through the middle, but there is a big BUT - I don't like it being HIM. He initially turned his back on us and treated us with disrespect, so that will be hard to accept.

Yeh I never understood the wing role - looked like he was developing into a real nice forward. Some comments under the post suggesting he's off to Saints but hope we'd at least have a look
For all their struggles theyā€™re pretty well off for medium forwards. Zurhaar, Ford, Curtis, Stephenson when he can be bothered with Duursma due to overtake them all in the next few years. Theyā€™ve got so many that they become way too top heavy when they play the right amount of KPFā€™s.
Wing was his best hope but heā€™s battling with Scott, Stephens and Tucker. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if McKercher makes one wing his own for the next few years and that makes Taylor surplus to requirements.
Weā€™ve probably got less productive players on the list but I have a feeling heā€™s a career depth player.

We need speed and some additional running capacity/support through midfield and Shiel has found himself behind Merrett, Caldwell and Durham at the Bombers. Essendon have a glut of these players and we desperately need one to pair with Walsh and complement Cripps & Cerra/Hewett.

Yes he is turning 32 in March '25, but he can temporarily assist with our midfield mix before we can replace him. 2 year deal until he is 33 and then we move him on to open up Cody Walker's list spot.

I thought Shiel performed well when reintroduced into the side end of year, and was flirting with leaving essendon in 2023.

Reality is we need a point of difference in midfield. I have been on record saying we should target Butters in 2025 as a pre-agent (replacing Doch), so Shiel is merely a bridging trade.

I'd be seeking Shiel and their future 1st & 3rd, while offering Kennedy, our future 2nd and perhaps North's future 2nd (Owies + our current 2nd).

Balance our midfield and have 2x 2025 1sts to put on the table for Butters next year (keep our 2026 picks for Cody bid).

Hmmm let me thinkā€¦ā€¦.

**** NO!!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Iā€™m not keen on Dylan Shiel. But Iā€™m just wondering whether people remember Adam Saad turning his back on us to instead go to *?

At least you did the math.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not arguing with injury prone. And as I say, I donā€™t think we should get him.

Iā€™m just not seeing much consistency between posts saying we shouldnā€™t get Shiel because he turned his back on us to go to *, when Saad has been a popular figure among Carlton fans when he previously did the same thing.

To be perfectly honest, I don't hate this idea as he is exactly what we require through the middle, but there is a big BUT - I don't like it being HIM. He initially turned his back on us and treated us with disrespect, so that will be hard to accept.
"I don't like him" is the type of emotion we need to take out of list management decisions.

I agree with you but we need to look past it.

Can he help? What would he cost?

Those should be the only considerations

Not arguing with injury prone. And as I say, I donā€™t think we should get him.

Iā€™m just not seeing much consistency between posts saying we shouldnā€™t get Shiel because he turned his back on us to go to *, when Saad has been a popular figure among Carlton fans when he previously did the same thing.
Reactionary posters are reactionary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Shiel would compliment our midfield mix.

If Kennedy goes which I think he will, our squad doesnā€™t improve unless we add someone of AFL quality.

Age, if they didnā€™t choose us last time, is irrelevant.

Will a player offer something we lack is the important and relevant question

i don't trust Shiel's body to hold up but his type is closer to what we lack than what we have, even in his 30s he has good burst although his kicking isn't great.

on a small deal and after significant medicals i'd think about it but it'd only be if we lose at all of Owies, Carroll and Kennedy and a short term gap filler at his age.

Dylan Shiel talk again šŸ¤¦

Just laughing at the MM talk of playing forward.

If this would eventuate in 2025 with JSoS coming back in and now Kemp looking like finally given an opportunity up there - I will be calling for Voss's head!!!

He had multiple opportunities to PLAY HIM there THIS YEAR and refused!!!!

Now that is a Rant - sorry Daniel Gorringe.

Absolutely a huge no to Dylan Shiel.
Would think a fundamental for any player we bring in is that they have to be:
a) a good kick
b) not repeatedly injured

Shiel had his chance to get to us and that ship sailed.

I still think it makes sense, but regardless we need to find someone to inject some pace in the middle of the ground.

If not Shiel, needs to be someone else who is AFL midfield ready and will be affordable in terms of cap and trade capital. I can't identify another that is gettable, they're hot commodities.

Hope we target Butters end of 2025 once Hinkley gets sacked. Will need to manufacture another first in 2025 for that to even be a thought though.

Shiel was only ever a placeholder.

Anywho, happy to park it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back