List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Sydney give Campbell for Kennedy/the pick we'd get for him?

Serially underutilized there. Lethal left boot.
No chance. Campbell is coming along slowly but nicely. Swans academy kid pick 5 back in 2020.

Chances of getting him leaving that group is going to be next to zero chance as much as I’d love him playing for us

I am ecstatic at Sydney’s capitulation under the guidance of Rob Inness. There are considerable similarities between Sydney’s campaign and our own.

Both clubs hit the preseason hard and were up and about early only to slump to some chasm like troughs. Players were cooked. Varying levels and we sustained more significant injuries to key players. Both clubs regrouped to varying levels. Sydney got back on the rails largely due to a big return from Heeney after an enforced layoff, but ultimately had precious little left after a couple more taxing games.

Inness will be no stranger to the hazards of trying to stay up for seven months. It cannot be done unless a club engages is a heavy player rotation policy to ensure the health and fitness of the group come finals time. Clearly Brisbane and to a lesser degree Hawthorn (rotations and list research) and the Bulldogs (slow start and list research) timed their runs significantly better.

Freo is another example of a club running out of juice at the business end. Adelaide under a taskmaster fitness guru were flat for most of the season after promising so much in ‘23.

Hopefully Inness draws the parallels with Sydney’s campaign and convinces Vossy not to undertake another manic pre season. Our players should have a significantly heightened base off the last two campaigns. Surely we can take the time to drill and hone our skills and connectivity considerably more rather than brutal bring your mouth guard match sims dominating the pre season. A small group of players might benefit from a higher intensity of training, but the group as a whole should be working on connection more than contest. We have the contested beasts, let’s have them healthy enough to strut their stuff.

Yes we need to recruit well, but we have enough players with considerable upside to add to some stars who largely just need to stay healthy to make massive contributions. A deeper list of match ready role players should enable an increased rotational policy, if only someone can convince Vossy there are more layers that are not pure contest.

I have nothing against Houston, but I would rather concentrate on the draft to develop young, more dynamic talent, and to improve the top heavy salary spread of our list. We will struggle to fit all of the medium sized backs in as it is, I will be very annoyed if our trades consist of a sunset role for Haynes, when another option in his area in McGovern is nit too far from the same stage and a designated kicker well in to the back half of his career. We need to develop and consolidate Cowan, Boyd, Cincotta, Wilson and a repurposed Ollie, possibly Matt Carrol too, with Saad and Newman approaching their use by dates

I understand the reasons why, especially with some of the busts SOS had, but think Austin has been a little too conservative with the type of players Austin has recruited, trade and draft

Moir has some real xfactor, I'd like to see a little more of these types, especially later in the draft

Id like to see him in the actual team we turn out every week. I suspect that wont be the case though

I am ecstatic at Sydney’s capitulation under the guidance of Rob Inness. There are considerable similarities between Sydney’s campaign and our own.

Both clubs hit the preseason hard and were up and about early only to slump to some chasm like troughs. Players were cooked. Varying levels and we sustained more significant injuries to key players. Both clubs regrouped to varying levels. Sydney got back on the rails largely due to a big return from Heeney after an enforced layoff, but ultimately had precious little left after a couple more taxing games.

Inness will be no stranger to the hazards of trying to stay up for seven months. It cannot be done unless a club engages is a heavy player rotation policy to ensure the health and fitness of the group come finals time. Clearly Brisbane and to a lesser degree Hawthorn (rotations and list research) and the Bulldogs (slow start and list research) timed their runs significantly better.

Freo is another example of a club running out of juice at the business end. Adelaide under a taskmaster fitness guru were flat for most of the season after promising so much in ‘23.

Hopefully Inness draws the parallels with Sydney’s campaign and convinces Vossy not to undertake another manic pre season. Our players should have a significantly heightened base off the last two campaigns. Surely we can take the time to drill and hone our skills and connectivity considerably more rather than brutal bring your mouth guard match sims dominating the pre season. A small group of players might benefit from a higher intensity of training, but the group as a whole should be working on connection more than contest. We have the contested beasts, let’s have them healthy enough to strut their stuff.

Yes we need to recruit well, but we have enough players with considerable upside to add to some stars who largely just need to stay healthy to make massive contributions. A deeper list of match ready role players should enable an increased rotational policy, if only someone can convince Vossy there are more layers that are not pure contest.

I have nothing against Houston, but I would rather concentrate on the draft to develop young, more dynamic talent, and to improve the top heavy salary spread of our list. We will struggle to fit all of the medium sized backs in as it is, I will be very annoyed if our trades consist of a sunset role for Haynes, when another option in his area in McGovern is nit too far from the same stage and a designated kicker well in to the back half of his career. We need to develop and consolidate Cowan, Boyd, Cincotta, Wilson and a repurposed Ollie, possibly Matt Carrol too, with Saad and Newman approaching their use by dates

Would a better rotation based approach be better than trying to change the entire pre season or your preferred conditioning approach?

Just using us as an example, if we put a bit more faith in the youth to do a job and play a role, would our injury list have improved?

The refusal or reluctance to rest players and the refusal to play in experienced players added stress to players already struggling and possibly added to their injury problems.

So I’m unsure whether there’s anything wrong with the method but more a bit of stubbornness or being to rigid with selection.

I don't agree. You take Cripps out of our midfield and we can still find a way to win.
You take Weiters out and we are going to struggle big time. We need to settle our back 6.

It all starts from the engine room. They are one paced, heavily reliant on Cripps, generally poor kicks i50 and don't spread well enough.

Improve our midfield, our back line is under less pressure.

Having said that, yes our KPD stocks definitely need to be bolstered too and Weitering is extremely important... but we found a way to win our first 2 games this year without him too...

But it's not about finding ways to win without this or that player... its about identifying the area that is in most need of improvement and that imo, is the midfield.

If he is ready to play a full game, each and every week, why not

Gut feeling the team we turn out is going to be the one with the usual names turned out every week unless injured. I'm not seeing a lot of change to the best 22 based on the trade and draft talk of the last few weeks. I hold out hope I'm in for a surprise in this regard.

Gut feeling the team we turn out is going to be the one with the usual names turned out every week unless injured. I'm not seeing a lot of change to the best 22 based on the trade and draft talk of the last few weeks. I hold out hope I'm in for a surprise in this regard.
What type of surprise are you hoping for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You normally don't get many playing regular games outside of 30 players, unless you have injuries

Acres goes okay, Hewett has been decent while only being blue collar

Think we just lack xfactor types
I think Acres and Hewett have been great additions to the club.

Probably because they’ve just played and won a grand final I’m seeing Neale (dual brownlow medalist), Ah Chee, Daniher, Dunkley, Cameron as very high quality imports.

Saad, Newman, Elijah, Acres, and Hewett have been great additions. I’m sure when they play in a winning grand final I’ll be saying the same thing about them arrow.. :D

That’s a myth. He was playing VFL
Not really a myth, per se'. Was playing Sth Barwon 2015. Troy Selwood got in his ear to come down to train with the VFL side, via Matty Scarlett who was coaching Sth at the time. Slow start then dominated, Wellsy got involved, was drafted 2016 ND and debuted 2017.

So yes in theory was 'drafted' via the VFL however you are not going to go from GFL 1's to AFL 1's without a conduit in between. So yes was plucked from GFL at 23, Cats VFL 23, pick 60 ND and AFL debut at 24.

Carlton Pub Trivia time. Liam Jones kicked 5 on him on his VFL debut.

Not really a myth, per se'. Was playing Sth Barwon 2015. Troy Selwood got in his ear to come down to train with the VFL side, via Matty Scarlett who was coaching Sth at the time. Slow start then dominated, Wellsy got involved, was drafted 2016 ND and debuted 2017.

So yes in theory was 'drafted' via the VFL however you are not going to go from GFL 1's to AFL 1's without a conduit in between. So yes was plucked from GFL at 23, Cats VFL 23, pick 60 ND and AFL debut at 24.

Carlton Pub Trivia time. Liam Jones kicked 5 on him on his VFL debut.
He was playing for South Barwon, got a gig at Geelong VFL & was then drafted. I guess the point is that he wasn't really plucked from obscurity.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back