List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

The way it looks now, we still need to clear 2 more list spots, and that is just to go to the draft. It's clear we don't have any spots left for other players to come in.

Oppo clubs would know this, that's why no offers for owies. Someone will peak him up as a DFA.

Carroll will be DFA also.

Only way they stay is if Kennedy and young go, which appears not to be likely.

Thinking about what sort of deal I am putting to GC for pick 13.

Let's think about what GC want

Well they need to get better value out of pick 13.

Currently it will be eaten by the Lombard bid

I reckon that pick 9 is about where the bid will come which will be 1175 points

Assuming GC has sold 13 that eats up 23 (815) and 29 (653) and gives them back pick 49

But they also have prospective no.1 next year Zeke Uwland (Bodhi's brother) to keep in mind.

They need 2025 draft capital.

They are probably going to sell more picks from this year's pool to build insurance that they get their man.

So how do we play to their interests to acquire what we want, pick 13?

First, we're going to be overpaying a bit, no use complaining, it's a seller's market and plenty of buyers.

But let's make things work.

First, we need a way to get more 2025 capital in the door. Two obvious options

Sell pick 34

Sell a player

These deals will need to happen before the GC deal, so it's got to be someone who a team wants and not an after thought.

This is why I think our first deal is Matt Kennedy and a Future 3rd for his preferred destinations Future 2nd and a back end pick this year for points (Camporeales)

We then add our new Future 2nd to our own Future 1st and offer that to GC for Pick 13 and pick 41.

Gold Coast don't care about this year's draft outside the top 10 and Lombard so I don't see them complaining about the late 2nd.

So now we have pick 12, 13, 34 and 41 and a ton of junk picks as the back of the draft.

From here you can choose your direction.

Dan Houston, draft whatever

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thinking about what sort of deal I am putting to GC for pick 13.

Let's think about what GC want

Well they need to get better value out of pick 13.

Currently it will be eaten by the Lombard bid

I reckon that pick 9 is about where the bid will come which will be 1175 points

Assuming GC has sold 13 that eats up 23 (815) and 29 (653) and gives them back pick 49

But they also have prospective no.1 next year Zeke Uwland (Bodhi's brother) to keep in mind.

They need 2025 draft capital.

They are probably going to sell more picks from this year's pool to build insurance that they get their man.

So how do we play to their interests to acquire what we want, pick 13?

First, we're going to be overpaying a bit, no use complaining, it's a seller's market and plenty of buyers.

But let's make things work.

First, we need a way to get more 2025 capital in the door. Two obvious options

Sell pick 34

Sell a player

These deals will need to happen before the GC deal, so it's got to be someone who a team wants and not an after thought.

This is why I think our first deal is Matt Kennedy and a Future 3rd for his preferred destinations Future 2nd and a back end pick this year for points (Camporeales)

We then add our new Future 2nd to our own Future 1st and offer that to GC for Pick 13 and pick 41.

Gold Coast don't care about this year's draft outside the top 10 and Lombard so I don't see them complaining about the late 2nd.

So now we have pick 12, 13, 34 and 41 and a ton of junk picks as the back of the draft.

From here you can choose your direction.

Dan Houston, draft whatever

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s good and I see everyone else also saying GCS will want to maximize the points they get for Pick 13 to match but why aren’t they instead looking at moving up the draft into Top 7 to beat the bid on Lombard? They currently have picks 6, 13, 22 about 28 and about 40 etc. 13 + 22 could get them Saints’ Pick 7 or maybe SOS will want 13 + 22 + 28 which also the Suns would probably pay.

Is there a reason why everyone assumes Suns will trade down instead of up? And for next season they can’t get ahead of the bid so can just use up first and second round picks and that’s fine because they would end up with 2 Top 7 picks this season and another Top 5 pick next season. When you have so many Top 10-20 picks on your list you don’t need to worry about second round and third round draftees.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That’s good and I see everyone else also saying GCS will want to maximize the points they get for Pick 13 to match but why aren’t they instead looking at moving up the draft into Top 7 to beat the bid on Lombard? They currently have picks 6, 13, 22 about 28 and about 40 etc. 13 + 22 could get them Saints’ Pick 7 or maybe SOS will want 13 + 22 + 28 which also the Suns would probably pay.

Is there a reason why everyone assumes Suns will trade down instead of up? And for next season they can’t get ahead of the bid so can just use up first and second round picks and that’s fine because they would end up with 2 Top 7 picks this season and another Top 5 pick next season. When you have so many Top 10-20 picks on your list you don’t need to worry about second round and third round draftees.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They will need picks to get Marshall also

They will need picks to get Marshall also
Marshall is Lions. Suns will need to match Lombard, which is relatively easy with the old system remaining.

Suns have multiple quality academy kids next year, including Zeke Uwland who was all Australian as an under ager this year and is currently in pick 1 conversations. They will be doing that with much tougher conditions. Lesser discount and removal of any value of later “junk” picks. Suns will absolutely want an extra first leading in to next year’s draft plus what ever else they can reasonably acquire.

Would putting Cunningham on the rookie list be worthwhile, if we can? Happy to be shot down, due to how injury prone he is and his tendency to drift in and out of games. This could be a low risk approach (rookie), to potentially getting a player who offers a very high return. He ticks a lot of boxes that our list is lacking in: speed, class and silky skills. I think his ability as an inside midfielder in bursts/rotations is really underrated, as he looks like he can win clearances with ease and at speed.

I was watching footage of Murphy Reid, who is first round prospect in this year’s draft and he made me think about Cunningham as his playing style looks similar, although Reid is smaller and with less speed. Reid looks like he racks up more possessions than Cunningham may have as a junior. Nevertheless Cunningham, ain’t too old, at 27 yrs of age and I reckon he’s worth another chance - how many has he already had? Thoughts…?

One thing that needs to change with list management is recruiting too many injury prone and project players. Lists were made smaller a few years back and we now have our own VFL side and a mid season draft. It makes sense to sign injury prone players like Cuningham and project players like Akuei, Mirkov, O'Keefe etc to the VFL list and when they begin to show something, take them in the mid season draft.

The AFL list should be for players who can play AFL or play it soon, not maybe play AFL or might be able to play it in 4 years time.

Our big issue has been having too many players on the list who can't play AFL. Either because they are injured, not good enough or nowhere near developed enough. We have made some really poor choices and that needs to stop.

I would happily offer VFL contracts to guys like Cuningham and these long term project types but not AFL contracts. I think this is the way of the future.

One thing that needs to change with list management is recruiting too many injury prone and project players. Lists were made smaller a few years back and we now have our own VFL side and a mid season draft. It makes sense to sign injury prone players like Cuningham and project players like Akuei, Mirkov, O'Keefe etc to the VFL list and when they begin to show something, take them in the mid season draft.

The AFL list should be for players who can play AFL or play it soon, not maybe play AFL or might be able to play it in 4 years time.

Our big issue has been having too many players on the list who can't play AFL. Either because they are injured, not good enough or nowhere near developed enough. We have made some really poor choices and that needs to stop.

I would happily offer VFL contracts to guys like Cuningham and these long term project types but not AFL contracts. I think this is the way of the future.

Whilst I don’t have an issue with Mirkov and Akeui being given VFL contracts it’s a bridge too far for me to hand one out to Cuningham (or Marchbank). We need our reserves to be competitive so the listed players can get a chance to develop rather than getting pumped every week. Moir looked worse playing in 2s than he did in the league for that exact reason. Lemney struggled in the 2s all season. For the reserves to be good the non AFL listed guys need to solid players who are regularly available. It’s time to completely move on from the likes of Cuningham, Marchbank and Martin. Hopefully S Durdin as well. It’s nothing personal but I want the club to succeed.

Marshall is Lions. Suns will need to match Lombard, which is relatively easy with the old system remaining.

Suns have multiple quality academy kids next year, including Zeke Uwland who was all Australian as an under ager this year and is currently in pick 1 conversations. They will be doing that with much tougher conditions. Lesser discount and removal of any value of later “junk” picks. Suns will absolutely want an extra first leading in to next year’s draft plus what ever else they can reasonably acquire.
Ah shit, getting my Qld players mixed up….🙈

Not sure if this the right spot to post this? I put it here because I think it relates to list management, as I reckon we don’t need to madly search/draft/sell the farm for more mids as I think we already have a great midfield when players are fit. It’s just that they have rarely all been fit/healthy since Voss arrived. However, mods, please move this, if it’s better somewhere else:

Besides, the lack of continuity in our midfield, due to injuries, has Voss/MC truly worked out who our best midfield mix is? I know numerous injuries would've made this difficult to assess. Assuming, everyone is fit and injury free, I’m interested to know what others think is our best setup/mix?

IMHO, I think you have to have a midfield with players who can play at least one other position well, so that we can keep rotating them. The days of players playing the whole game in the midfield is very antiquated. The mids who can play in the guts and other positions, IMHO, are:

-Cripps: can go forward
-Walsh: can go to a wing (his endurance means he could probably play in the guts almost the entire game)
-Kennedy: can go forward (don’t think he plays well down back where he’s been tried a few times).
-Carroll: maybe he’s okay forward?

I don’t think Hewett or Cerra can play other positions. Therefore, should they be in our best midfield mix? Coupled with this, they are both slow. Can you play 2 slow mids, with Cripps who both don’t play well in other positions?

I’d like to see these other players given more time through the guts in short bursts: C. Durdin, Fogarty, Motlop and Acres.

Could Acres be a bit like Richards or Heeney on the ball (of course probably not as good!). He is a beast of a guy who is quick, powerful, sticks tackles and can run all day?

Interested in others thoughts, as to who might be our best midfield mix is and if there’s other players who you’d like to see rotated through there more?

I like Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett in the middle with Walsh and Cerra on the periphery to receive from those three.
I like Kennedy in the middle because if he doesn't have the ball ( and we do) then he is attempting to block or shepard for us. He has natural football instincts.
George is our defensive mid who can negate but also accumulate.
Crippa is just a bull and can do whatever he wants.
Walsh and Cerra should be assessing the situation and moving accordingly, defensively or spreading to receive and deliver.

What kind of options does it lead to for us if we place Cripps at CHF for the year. He’s got nothing else to prove on ball. We can then develop another 1-2 kids on ball like lord and OHollands.
Cripps is not a forward. He's the best midfielder in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know anything about why Cooper Vickery was delisted from the Swans?
I know nothing of him, but he might be worth rookie listing looking at his pre-draft highlights, he looks a beautiful kick.
Could be a cheap 'Houston' in a couple of years.

The write-ups for him suggest he has good pace, good penetrating ball use and breaks lines. The knock seem to be on his physical size, but that can be overcome. You'd think you'd have to have effort or attitude problems to get cut loose after two seasons and being taken at #27 in the draft, but who knows?

The write-ups for him suggest he has good pace, good penetrating ball use and breaks lines. The knock seem to be on his physical size, but that can be overcome. You'd think you'd have to have effort or attitude problems to get cut loose after two seasons and being taken at #27 in the draft, but who knows?
1cm shorter than Boyd. Frame might not be as solid but might be worth a punt, unless he's a total head case.

Anyone know anything about why Cooper Vickery was delisted from the Swans?
I know nothing of him, but he might be worth rookie listing looking at his pre-draft highlights, he looks a beautiful kick.
Could be a cheap 'Houston' in a couple of years.

Looks like he can play. Nice kicking and some run. Our crew would surely be aware of his abilities.

1cm shorter than Boyd. Frame might not be as solid but might be worth a punt, unless he's a total head case.

Yeah, that's what I meant. His light frame, but they were phantom draft remarks 2 years ago. If there are no major issues with him, he looks to have a skillset we could use for sure. Rookie option?

We are in the premiership window. We need to use Pick 12 to get Houston. If we don't make top 4 next year with the team below, Voss needs to be sacked.

We need to trade in or draft a speedy goal kicking midfielder with good foot skills (e.g. player like Shai Bolton - obviously we can't get him).

Team for next season:

B: Boyd--------------------Weitering--------------Newman

H: *Houston--------------McGovern---------------Saad

C: Acres--------------------Cripps-----------------Docherty

H: E.Hollands--------------C.Curnow--------------Silvagni

F: Williams-----------------McKay------------------Fogarty

Foll: De Koning, Cerra, Walsh

Bench: *Haynes, Hewett, *New Midfielder, Moir

We are in the premiership window. We need to use Pick 12 to get Houston. If we don't make top 4 next year with the team below, Voss needs to be sacked.

We need to trade in or draft a speedy goal kicking midfielder with good foot skills (e.g. player like Shai Bolton - obviously we can't get him).

Team for next season:

B: Boyd--------------------Weitering--------------Newman

H: *Houston--------------McGovern---------------Saad

C: Acres--------------------Cripps-----------------Docherty

H: E.Hollands--------------C.Curnow--------------Silvagni

F: Williams-----------------McKay------------------Fogarty

Foll: De Koning, Cerra, Walsh

Bench: *Haynes, Hewett, *New Midfielder, Moir

They want two first rounders from us. That changes things.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back