Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Where did you pull those rankings from out of interest? I think Hart has had an average year from all reports but Whan looks incredible (refer futoblista comments from the other day). Probably swap them at the moment but it's the same thing anyway.

Club will have enough forewarning I imagine to plan appropriately. I think if they fix it properly we'll probably need at least a first for one of them to march the bid.
Post in thread 'Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread' https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/davo-27s-2024-draft-thread.1374741/post-84549902

This mindset has been proven incorrect for many years now.

Player nominates club. Either player gets to said club or stays at his original club
It’s not about the player not getting what they want, it’s more about having leverage. Jackson cost us 2 x 1st rounders plus a 2nd because WC were ready to swoop if a deal fell over. Out of contract didn’t matter.

If we have a top 10 pick to deal or pick 5 or 6, our leverage gets better as the single pick becomes a fair deal. Warner could always go to the draft and we use the pick on him if they play hardball. WC aren’t risking a top 1-3 pick on some who doesn’t want to be there.

I'd rather draft best available with any pick in the top 10 (pick up some more Serong / Young types) and then use anything outside of that as trade currency. Keeps fresh talent coming through and developing, that with our hit rate on talent holds value if they ever choose to leave

In the next few years we shouldn't have any top 10-14 picks available to us short of a good player requesting a trade (touch wood) - so may as well use them while we can to maximise the young talent on deck and keep building the foundations for the long term
In principle, yes. But if we have a target/s who will likely be available later in the draft, and we have a good value trade for the earlier pick, fine by me to go that route.

The talk about this draft is the evenness and depth in the early draft picks. No need to grab the likes of Berry with 6 if we know he'll be there at 11 or later.

I'd be okay with using our highest first round pick in the draft and hypothetically if Bolton and Baker are available I'd give them the other 2 firsts and next years first. Then try to package the Saints 2nd and our future 2nd for a 2025 1st. That way we have 2 for Warner next year. Get Bolton and Baker and hopefully draft a gun with pick 6 this year.

Is Knobel any good? He seems to be in the magical land of living off his draft hype while not playing league for a direct comparison.

I would keep both rucks for another 1-2 years as depth. Reidy more important than Knobel considering he is better.
Pretty sure he has been getting selected for the league team over Reidy recently.

Couple things;
  • if we move value to next year I imagine it's to make sure we have enough value for Whan, Hart AND Warner. That's a lot of currency required if the6 are fixing the points system. Whan looks like a possible top 10 talent from the limited vision I saw.
  • that Twomey trade proposal has both sides upset, tells you it's closeish
  • Pretty sure that 1st round pick rule is all but redundant

Bolton still has legs I reckon. Just enough smoke out there.

I think my ideal off-season is now getting Baker on that 600k talked about by Daniels, passing on Bolton, taking two top picks to the draft and setting up next year with points for the NGA and hopefully Warner.

No way we can fit both Bolton and Warner in so if it is Bolton pushing the trade I'd do a token effort this off-season and go next year if Warner falls through.

Save the 600k from Baker and use it on Bolton IMO. Sure it is probably another 500k per year on top, but I'd rather find that for the far superior player (for our needs) than get Baker just for the sake of it.

Save the 600k from Baker and use it on Bolton IMO. Sure it is probably another 500k per year on top, but I'd rather find that for the far superior player (for our needs) than get Baker just for the sake of it.
I just can't get my head around getting both Warner and Bolton. Seems impossible in a salary capped league and if there's smoke around Bolton there's Richmond running around with a fire extinguisher putting em out as quickly as they start. I'd only want Bolton if they are open to it, not, extort us for everything type thing.

Therefore, Baker this year with some kids to plug a growing talent hole is fine by me with Warner or Bolton next year

I just can't get my head around getting both Warner and Bolton. Seems impossible in a salary capped league and if there's smoke around Bolton there's Richmond running around with a fire extinguisher putting em out as quickly as they start. I'd only want Bolton if they are open to it, not, extort us for everything type thing.

Therefore, Baker this year with some kids to plug a growing talent hole is fine by me with Warner or Bolton next year
In a comp where teams like Essendon can pick up 4 FAs in one season and the Hawks have offers out of 5 x 700k+ for at least 2 players (3 if you believe the Barrass story) I have no trouble believing we might have $2m+ spare in cap space.

Especially when we've signed everyone up long term and lost multiple B23 players in recent years. Everyone always bangs on about us losing players but nobody every talks about the salary space it would open. Schultz probably saved us 400k on the rookie we replaced him with. Same with Acres. That adds up.

Yep,
I hope we’re just using Baker so Richmond answer the phone & then we pull a swifty with the paperwork and we get Bolton for a late first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This mindset has been proven incorrect for many years now.

Player nominates club. Either player gets to said club or stays at his original club
Think it depends on the situation tbh. Cerra was reportedly really impressed by a last minute Melbourne presentation, he asked the question, we said "give us Jackson', and he ends up at Carlton.

In general though, yeah player ends up where he wants.

In a comp where teams like Essendon can pick up 4 FAs in one season and the Hawks have offers out of 5 x 700k+ for at least 2 players (3 if you believe the Barrass story) I have no trouble believing we might have $2m+ spare in cap space.

Especially when we've signed everyone up long term and lost multiple B23 players in recent years. Everyone always bangs on about us losing players but nobody every talks about the salary space it would open. Schultz probably saved us 400k on the rookie we replaced him with. Same with Acres. That adds up.
It just seems like too much talent to pay. If there was extra room, Treacy has gobbled it up with his next contract.

re the talk of Baker and WCE. Is it not a bit strange from both sides of the equation that they don't have a coach?

Surely he'd wanna know who he's playing under, and surely the poor bastard who ends up coaching them would want a say in whether they're splitting pick 3 etc?

re the talk of Baker and WCE. Is it not a bit strange from both sides of the equation that they don't have a coach?

Surely he'd wanna know who he's playing under, and surely the poor bastard who ends up coaching them would want a say in whether they're splitting pick 3 etc?
If he's going to WC, its not for the football. You'd have to have some top shelf blinkers on to think they are doing anything other than getting flogged often for the next 5 years.

So whatever is appealing about them is probably appealing regardless of the coach (within reason).

If he's going to WC, its not for the football. You'd have to have some top shelf blinkers on to think they are doing anything other than getting flogged often for the next 5 years.

So whatever is appealing about them is probably appealing regardless of the coach (within reason).

He is also supposedly a life long WC supporter. Coming home and playing for the club you grew up supporting would have a decent amount of pull.

What's the difference between giving Battle, Barrass and Perryman 900 + 900 + 700

and giving Warner and Bolton 1.2 each + 150 for a rookie?

The names don't matter, only the numbers.
Hawks I dont think have the quality we have all over the ground and are getting lots from blokes traded in on chips who will be underpaid for a while the way Mitchell has them going. They also dont have a Treacy that needs paying. If they pull it off, I'm sure we'll lose a decent player down the road (which is maybe fine) but the team we'd have for 2-3 years would be insane. Imma still stick with "to good to be true" thing

He is also supposedly a life long WC supporter. Coming home and playing for the club you grew up supporting would have a decent amount of pull.
I think you'd have to be genuinely very weird to choose to go there for anything other than a gigantic payout. No competitive player should want to be near the place anytime soon and a pretty good poster on here with very connections told me the place is absolutely miserable at the moment

Hawks I dont think have the quality we have all over the ground and are getting lots from blokes traded in on chips who will be underpaid for a while the way Mitchell has them going. They also dont have a Treacy that needs paying. If they pull it off, I'm sure we'll lose a decent player down the road (which is maybe fine) but the team we'd have for 2-3 years would be insane. Imma still stick with "to good to be true" thing
I think you have purple coloured glasses are on a bit. We have lots of talent, but lets be real, we've played finals once in the last 8 years. A lot of the blokes signed long term won't be on big coin because they've done nothing of note other than get us all excited. Even Amiss has probably cost himself $1m signing that contract when he did.

I don't think there is anything special about us. Clubs stuck midtable or in the bottom 6 have money to spare all the time. We're just one of them.

If you're looking for the emotional hedge, the obvious one is that it is very difficult to get 1 A grader out of other clubs, never mind 2.

What's the difference between giving Battle, Barrass and Perryman 900 + 900 + 700

and giving Warner and Bolton 1.2 each + 150 for a rookie?

The names don't matter, only the numbers.
The difference for me is you have inked the dollar value for the top echelon of your list at 1.2

Right now Brayshaw and Treacy's management would be very interested to get that information.

The imminent retirement of Fyfe and Walters and probably Taverner is going to free up a bit of space in our cap

I don't think it's too far out of the realm of possibilities that Taberner is the highest paid player of the three at the moment. Both Walters and Fyfe are on last deal/AFL supplemented contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back