Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have longed for O'Driscoll's left foot many times when Sharp has been corralled against the boundary and they know he won't run onto his left foot to kick down the line. I like Sharp on the fat side when we are kicking to the train station end, but he shouldn't still play on that side with us crowding the interchange side when we are kicking towards the city.
Think he should be playing wing (now he is fit) instead of JOM, let look to the future

Melbourne players coming out for trades..
Henry never made it to Melbourne to his mate Pickett.

Surely be asking about him. Definitely the price for him rather than Baker, Bolton, Warner. Exactly what we need
Agree completely. Pickett and even baker to a lesser extent would be great pickups compared to Bolton/warner due to how much they are likely to cost. If serong and young can start chipping in with regular goals from the midfield there is not such a void there.

I’m all for trading Darcy. Have been for a long time. He only plays half the season, and Geelong would give a reasonable deal. Shouldn’t have let go of Meek, he’s exactly what we would need

So if theoretically, hasleby’s latest brainwave were to happen.

(Sign English, trade onions).

Could that give us enough for Bolton and Pickett? (Warner next year).

🤔🤔
What a great idea Hase. Trade a ruckman who can ruck, for one who can't. So then we can pay $1.8mil a year on two rucks that can't ruck.

I’m a big Sean Darcy fan but the reality is he’s getting into Dion Prestia/Tom Lynch areas at this point when it comes to his fitness and availability.
It’s a massive issue. I’m not concerned about the two rucks working together from a playing point of view. Jackson and Darcy works fine when they are fully fit.
The problem is Sean Darcy barely ever is anymore. This is 2 years now of fragmented availability and constantly carrying knocks and niggles.
A lot of people seem to be suggesting he’s not serious enough about his fitness. He’s carrying too much puppy fat etc.
I’m not so sure. I have heard he’s an excellent trainer and diligent and professional guy off the field.
Maybe he is just unlucky. Just going to be always injury prone?
There’s one of two things happening here
1. He’s not 100% committed to his lifestyle off the field to ensure he’s at maximum availability on the field.
2. He is living the perfect professional lifestyle off the field like Fyfey and Pendles and the likes, but is just injury prone.

If it’s 2, I say trade him. If it’s 1, he can obviously improve and hopefully become less injury prone.

Been thinking about how we get Warner in the door. Swans are desperate for a key back and it looks like they won't get Barass.

So I'd trade Brennan Cox and a pick in the mid 20's (Saints 2nd rounder) for Warner this off season.

Leaves us with Pearce, Ryan and Draper as talls. With McDonald as ready-made backup and Davies + Murphy developing. Maybe Chapman can play tall at times like he did on Cameron.

Thoughts? Half will probably love it and half hate it.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m a big Sean Darcy fan but the reality is he’s getting into Dion Prestia/Tom Lynch areas at this point when it comes to his fitness and availability.
It’s a massive issue. I’m not concerned about the two rucks working together from a playing point of view. Jackson and Darcy works fine when they are fully fit.
The problem is Sean Darcy barely ever is anymore. This is 2 years now of fragmented availability and constantly carrying knocks and niggles.
A lot of people seem to be suggesting he’s not serious enough about his fitness. He’s carrying too much puppy fat etc.
I’m not so sure. I have heard he’s an excellent trainer and diligent and professional guy off the field.
Maybe he is just unlucky. Just going to be always injury prone?
There’s one of two things happening here
1. He’s not 100% committed to his lifestyle off the field to ensure he’s at maximum availability on the field.
2. He is living the perfect professional lifestyle off the field like Fyfey and Pendles and the likes, but is just injury prone.

If it’s 2, I say trade him. If it’s 1, he can obviously improve and hopefully become less injury prone.
Or three, he’s having a rough patch right now and it will work out.

Sandi had some rough patches too, most rucks do due to the job description. I don’t recall a massive pile on though saying he should lose weight, a thing that actually helps him ruck better.

Been thinking about how we get Warner in the door. Swans are desperate for a key back and it looks like they won't get Barass.

So I'd trade Brennan Cox and a pick in the mid 20's (Saints 2nd rounder) for Warner this off season.

Leaves us with Pearce, Ryan and Draper as talls. With McDonald as ready-made backup and Davies + Murphy developing. Maybe Chapman can play tall at times like he did on Cameron.

Hate it, you don’t trade as anybody unless they want to leave or they are trouble. Without Cox the last few weeks I recon we get belted by more.

We have heaps of picks, use them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner for Brennan Cox and a second rounder?!
Out of interest what would you value Cox on his own if we traded him?

I’m assuming it’s a lot given Sydney would want pick 8, 10 and the saints second rounder for Warner alone this year!

As a general rule, not huge on trading good players that want to be here and are well-liked by the players. I think there's some that get floated which would look like a good idea if we were playing Monopoly or a video game. But players aren't just assets. They have emotions, and when you start forcing out players for shiny new toys, the passion and connectedness reduces.

I also just think that a backline with Pearce Cox Draper as the talls and Ryan Clark Walker Chapman as the mediums/smalls has enough rebound and defensive solidity to really go full "you shall not pass". That and Ryan is now looking vulnerable defensively against the big boys.

Or three, he’s having a rough patch right now and it will work out.

Sandi had some rough patches too, most rucks do due to the job description. I don’t recall a massive pile on though saying he should lose weight, a thing that actually helps him ruck better.
Not a pile on by any stretch.
But the fact is that Darcy is injury prone and it’s hurting the team a lot right now. Our chosen point of difference in this game plan (two ruck strategy) evolves around a player that can’t seem to play more than 12 or 14 games a season.

It’s not like he’s a back pocket than can be easily replaced. He’s arguably the most important player on the list. We won’t win shit without a fit Darcy unless we change the gameplan completely. We need to find a solution somehow.

As disappointing as Darcy has been I think any talk of wanting him gone is quite silly, he's arguably the best ruckman in the competition at his best, he needs to get his fitness right yes, but he along with Jackson are the best ruck duo in the competition, I'm not trading that away, both of them are still young (especially Jackson), there's no way to predict the future yet.

Sign until 2030 and suddenly you’re back on the trade table apparently.

Are people forgetting that the reason they’re signed so long is because they’re really good players? And that maybe the reason we’re not getting the most of them this year is because they missed a good chunk of the past year recovering from injuries and surgery?

Only a matter of time before we’re trading out Treacy because of his injuries.

But the fact is that Darcy is injury prone and it’s hurting the team a lot right now. Our chosen point of difference in this game plan (two ruck strategy) evolves around a player that can’t seem to play more than 12 or 14 games a season.

It’s not like he’s a back pocket than can be easily replaced. He’s arguably the most important player on the list. We won’t win shit without a fit Darcy unless we change the gameplan completely. We need to find a solution somehow.
My solution is get a preseason into him. He’s also been concussed a fair bit this year, not exactly an “injury prone” out.

Sign until 2030 and suddenly you’re back on the trade table apparently.

Are people forgetting that the reason they’re signed so long is because they’re really good players? And that maybe the reason we’re not getting the most of them this year is because they missed a good chunk of the past year recovering from injuries and surgery?

Only a matter of time before we’re trading out Treacy because of his injuries.
It's probably a good thing that the club doesn't pay attention to this discussion board.

My solution is get a preseason into him. He’s also been concussed a fair bit this year, not exactly an “injury prone” out.
Exactly, who would have thought that a lack of pre-season would effect a player's abilities on the field and not allow them to play at their best?

While we're at it though, I find it interesting how Darcy is unprofessional and a liability because of his injuries and unavailability but no one's having the same discussion about Cox. Both have played the same amount of games over the past two season. Go back even further to the past four seasons and Darcy has played 5 more games.

Except we actually know that Cox took the piss with his rehab for a long time, when Darcy has always been a professional

Last edited:

We've had a fair few players who've had a domino effect of injuries where you're thinking "Is this ever gonna end?" And then it ends. NOD probably the last 2 years until his latest WAFL return when he looked really good. Fyfe from mid-2021 until end of last year. Sturt for the first few years and then also this year with the knee stuff. Chapman with the hammy stuff.

Those are guys that I don't think you can really question their endeavour per se. For some, it might've just been a case of getting over the hump. For others, it might've been a case of looking at different strategies to tackle said injuries and prevent future ones.

I think your initial question is basically right of "Is this a reversible pattern or a new and irreversible normal?" And based on what we've seen, I think it's fair to have at times questioned the endeavour. But there could easily be contributing factors relating to bad strategies/short-term thinking etc that has been pursued and approved by everyone involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back