Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd really like not to lose anyone this year. Not because they're not replaceable, but just to keep the experience we do have. The cohesion etc.

There's a decent chance Sonny and/or Fyfe contribute even less next year which is more experience gone. Aish has already started phasing out, that's 150 games, JoM could easily decline from B22, there's another 180 gone.

So keeping players like Switta, who's played 80 (all for us) is important.

Fyfe and Walters will more than likely play under 15 games between them.
Hopefully JOM has another good year, but I can see him getting phased out like Aish has this year in 2026.

Getting someone like Baker for this reason, would help.

It also means Banfield keeps his spot in the side. (Assuming we just swap Switta for Bolton)

Agree Richards, or someone else along those lines would be good. I like Winder.

I think we need to find away to improve our bottom 4 or 5 players in our 23, plus improve the next 5 players.

JOM, Banfield, Worner, Wagner, Fyfe, Walters, Switta, Frederick - 6 played on the weekend.

Not saying all should be dropped, but it would be nice to have some pressure on them to keep their spots.

Currently we have only have Simpson putting any pressure on our small to medium forwards, and he is more of a mid than a forward.
I dont have the same concerns on depth as you do. I think our bottom 6 is comparable to anyone that's not GWS and we need 1 or two more actual stars. I also think getting stars improves your depth and that regardless, improving players 20 to 30 on the list is extremely easy to do and can be done with picks 20+ without a fuss.

This is also the perfect draft to do that while bringing in a Bolton.

I dont have the same concerns on depth as you do. I think our bottom 6 is comparable to anyone that's not GWS and we need 1 or two more actual stars. I also think getting stars improves your depth and that regardless, improving players 20 to 30 on the list is extremely easy to do and can be done with picks 20+ without a fuss.

This is also the perfect draft to do that while bringing in a Bolton.

I agree with the bit in bold, it is a great draft.

Do you want to be watching Banfield play 22 games next year?

If we swap Switta with Bolton, then Banfield will be in the 22 again. If you consider Walters, Fyfe, JOM, Aish all getting older and we have had minimal injuries all year he will be locked into the 22.

I agree with the bit in bold, it is a great draft.

Do you want to be watching Banfield play 22 games next year?

If we swap Switta with Bolton, then Banfield will be in the 22 again. If you consider Walters, Fyfe, JOM, Aish all getting older and we have had minimal injuries all year he will be locked into the 22.
I have faith Simpson can run past him with another offseason and strangely enough, think your best 25 is fine if Banners is the 25th best player on your list. I also wouldnt be trading Switta for reasons already said. Walters and Aish arent best 25 anymore so it doesnt matter.

We can get Bolton and still draft 3-4 to players very easily and as much as you want draftees, there is minimal chance JL picks them ahead of Banners next year anyway so you'll be waiting till 2026 at least for that

If Isiah Winder was playing as well for Peel, as he is for his current WAFL side we would be all asking for him to come in.

Why shouldn't we be looking at him. Pretty sure he is available as a DFA.

Maybe we are looking at him.
Maybe he’s a last minute rookie pick up or 4th round selection type pick up.
But he’s not worthy of discussion, he’s a relative nobody.
Not saying he can’t play, but we have our heads buried if we’re passing on guys like Bolton and Baker because we’re looking at Winder.

I have faith Simpson can run past him with another offseason and strangely enough, think your best 25 is fine if Banners is the 25th best player on your list. I also wouldnt be trading Switta for reasons already said. Walters and Aish arent best 25 anymore so it doesnt matter.

We can get Bolton and still draft 3-4 to players very easily and as much as you want draftees, there is minimal chance JL picks them ahead of Banners next year anyway so you'll be waiting till 2026 at least for that

Trying to think the last time we had a really good draft pick, not playing.

I will back JL, that is a player has a really good preseason that he will play them. Erasmus and Johnson have not really smashed the door down.

If Isiah Winder was playing as well for Peel, as he is for his current WAFL side we would be all asking for him to come in.

He should be looked at, just like last year every club should look at Hamish Brayshaw. But sometimes the attributes that make you a good player in the lower league aren't enough to compete at the AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should be looked at, just like last year every club should look at Hamish Brayshaw. But sometimes the attributes that make you a good player in the lower league aren't enough to compete at the AFL level.

Athletically is where Hamish struggles.

Winder is an athletic freak.
Agility 8.18
2km 6:51
20m sprint 2.873 seconds
92cm and 90 cms one foot vertical jump
76cms for 2 foot vertical jump

If he is committed off the field, then we should draft him.

This is just my opinion. I just don't rate him as highly as other people. It is probably the easy misses than burn into the back of mind, plus the cheap goals he gets. Vs us he got 2 of the 4 goals by getting out the back, and having a team mate do the hard work for him.

I also have not seen Bolton really hurt sides when he has the ball in hand. I just don't think his skills are that good.

Add to the fact you only expect 30 goals from him a year, and he is just not worth the capital we would need to give up to get him.

Also, he relies on his pace massively. I see him dropping off once he hits 30 pretty quickly.

Once again, this is just my opinion on the games I have seen. I have not seen Richmond play that much.

1. Green 1.86 goals
4. Bolton 1.57 goals
3. Pickett 1.7 goals
2. Stengle 1.82 goals

1. Green has 1.2 GA's
3. Bolton .6 GA's
2. Pickett .7 GA's
3. Stengle .6 GA's

4. Green 2.2 tackles
2. Bolton 2.5 tackles
1. Pickett 3.6 tackles
3. Stengle 2.4 tackles

2. Green 15.75 possessions
1. Bolton 16.95 possessions
4. Pickett Possessions 12.55
3. Stengle 13.45 possessions.

You've missed out clearance numbers. Bolton is an elite centre square clearance player. Big point of difference over those other guys. Burst from stoppage is something we lack. Ideally you'd want size to go with it, but Bolton at least provides the breakaway speed.

And you would be better off using 2022-2023 stats for Bolton. I think he has had one foot out the door this year, Richmond are woeful, and Yze has also been using him weirdly (e.g. as a pseudo KPF target).

Another thing on Bolton. He loves playing at Optus. The Freo game was obviously an audition. And that's not hindsight. People were calling it as such at the time. Look at his games at Optus over the last 4 years. Very impressive. One dud game (low scoring slugfest ... raining?), and the rest of them he was in the top couple of Richmond players and polled Brownlow votes in most of them. Take out the dud game and he averages 24 disposals, 6 marks, 4 clearances, 2.4 goals, 1.3 Brownlow votes (if he gets 1 this year), 5 coaches votes, and 120 SC points.

YearVenueDescriptionDateOpponentResultKHBDMGBTGAI50CLCGBLCVDTSC
2024OptusRound 17Jul-06DockersLoss 54-1051421674320423?2 (5th)10298
2024OptusRound 5Apr-14EaglesLoss 70-1091562183111252?1 (5th)105129
2023OptusRound 18Jul-16EaglesWin 98-601310235243131136 (2nd)99105
2023OptusRound 13Jun-10DockersWin 85-7022113331050116529 (1st)124151
2022OptusRound 7Apr-29EaglesWin 165-56219308324477529 (1st)136139
2021OptusRound 20Aug-01DockersLoss 51-55571210351104004956
2021OptusRound 13Jun-13EaglesLoss 81-8513102331143835009096
2021OptusRound 12Jun-05BombersWin 123-841110215301373117 (3rd)89119

Last edited:
Winders stats are very similar to Kelly the year he got picked up. Have to say though the couple of times I've seen him play this year he looked like a WALF player to me. A good one, but still WAFL.

Plus he's playing on ball. Kelly didn't get drafted as mature ager on the expectation he'd become a starting AFL inside mid, it just happened. He'd be better off (even if Souths wouldn't) playing half forward and showing he demands a second go at the AFL there.

that highlight package shows why we need Bolton. A small forward who backs himself and goes goal first. We **** around with it in the 50 too much trying to do the team thing.
Yeah, I think its fine to have a team first attitude, but at some point someone needs to have the nads to just take the shot when the team stuff isn't on.

We were looking at him for the mid-season draft but IIRC he chose to remain at Sowfs.

Fyfe and Walters will more than likely play under 15 games between them.
Hopefully JOM has another good year, but I can see him getting phased out like Aish has this year in 2026.

Getting someone like Baker for this reason, would help.
Baker would be the reason JOM is phased out IMO.

DFA can be done but I'd expect a Jeremy Sharp type situation would be more likely.

What happened was Sharp didn't nominate for the National Draft, we passed on our last rookie pick then listed Sharp day one of the SSP.

If Winder wanted to stay in WA and we wanted him I see no reason he'd nominate for the National Draft. Pick 60-odd could still get us an okay prospect but if it doesn't we just upgrade one of our rookies and look at others in the SSP.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back