Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I will seriously lose my shit if we let Sturt go. Guys had 4 years of misery, is finally showing his potential to be a very handy medium. He’s always had the ability to hit the scoreboard from limited opportunities but he’s now presuming well, linking up and providing score assists.
Just get it done. Deserves a couple of years on decent coin. Don’t cheap out & lose him for the love of God.

Bolton is with no doubt our missing piece, would be an absolute superstar in our team and would look great in purple.Two first rounders I'd say he's worth, get it done. I"m absolutely sold on him.
What number do we give him ?
What's Banner's number? That one.

I think Banners provides intangibles. Good character, charity work, intelligence and good guy vibes.
He also can play any role, by reports.
Sturt can kick straight, what else does he provide.
I think he's trade bait.
I’m surprised we haven’t seen the infamous Footywire Stat comparison page to prove the point here.

On Banfield, two weeks ago(?) he tackled a player to the ground and then in a second action he elbows him in the neck.

The commentators suggested he would get a suspension. Then it was tumbleweeds from the tribunal.

Is it possible that the AFL deliberately cruelled our flag chances by not suspending Banners?

Think I might be onto something here.
Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

One thing I certainly forgot when Hogan was devoid of confidence was just how smart a player he is. He coaches himself like when he dropped back to defense towards the end.
He’s also a very strong contested mark & good on the ground ball.
Sometimes guys like that have a day out. Especially when we’re trying to cover Cadman, Daniels & the other dangerous small whose name escapes me.
Walker (who kept Stengle goalless the week before was killing the other small but got moved onto Daniels for a while & the other guy started bobbing up.
Hogan is in career all time form. If ever we really needed Pearce.
But yeah, Cox looked like he was dragging an anchor.
That other small you refer to is Darcy Jones. He would look very good in purple.

We will sign Sturt.

People are jumping at shadows.

2 year with trigger for 3rd
Or
3 with trigger for 4th

He’s played 10 straight. Shown enough. Was former pick 17. Provides a solid medium. Still think he’s playing to cement a spot, but is justifying his position.

I think 2 with trigger for 3rd is fair. He may be receiving interest elsewhere.

Now that is who we should be offering 4 years to....bugger Richards.
At least getting in his ear. I remember Walls was keen in his draft year. Walls is like a dog with a bone on some these players he loved in their draft years… he just won’t let it go. Darcy Jones broke Stephen Hill’s draft camp agility record.

From memory his biggest love child was Finn Callaghan but we are no chance sadly. Darcy Jones will be one to keep an eye on like Jordan Clark.

Or
3 with trigger for 4th

He’s played 10 straight. Shown enough. Was former pick 17. Provides a solid medium. Still think he’s playing to cement a spot, but is justifying his position.

I don't care which one to be honest.

Just sign him. As you said he's shown he's at the level and will only get better and better.

Or
3 with trigger for 4th

I’m sure there is interest. Sturt if you remember struggled earlier in the year. He had that major meniscectomy surgery in mid December. I had the same surgery and even though I was back running about 4 weeks post surgery it was about 6-7 months before it felt normal. That timeframe took him to June and he is moving well now. Just in time for …. Sadly might be nothing coming this September

I really hope he re-signs. Maybe he wants to he head home next year. At least he has shown some trade value if he does want to get home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't have any interest in staying in Victoria when he got drafted. Said he couldn't wait to get out of there. Things change but I don't think going home is the issue. Security seems to be though. He mentioned he wasn't able to buy a house in Perth because he never knew what his contract status would be

JL will never drop JOM. He's a great leader who stands up in tight 4th quarters 🤣
This is THE problem, NOD showed so much more in 1 quarter than JOM did in a whole game, yet JLo will still play JOM because he’s scared to play too many kids and think they need the older guys to keep a cool head. JOM just isn’t that guy,

If Richards is getting 4 year offers I'd be stunned if Sturt isn't too
This is a very good point.

I think some people are a bit unrealistic with their two year offers here. A 24 year old proven goalscorer like Sturt (younger than Richards) could well have a 5 year offer on the table from more than one rival club.

This is THE problem, NOD showed so much more in 1 quarter than JOM did in a whole game, yet JLo will still play JOM because he’s scared to play too many kids and think they need the older guys to keep a cool head. JOM just isn’t that guy,
This has stalled our development. If JOM was playing great footy every week you could live with it but he does next to F all most weeks and is taking games away from a young player. It's not just JOM.

Adding Bolton to our forward line is not simply a matter of goals scored and tackles effected. The fear factor engendered by his presence in the forward half should not be underestimated. Just imagine being faced with a forward set up that includes both Bolton and Frederick.
Add Treacy to that and progression in Amiss, Fremantle should be a joy to watch. So long as we can get enough decent in side 50 entries.
I don't know the mechanics, but I imagine there are a whole bunch of forward strategies you can implement when you have someone as dangerous as Bolton come in. Things that will make it easier for other forwards that lead us being more potent than just the output he provides directly.

This is a very good point.

I think some people are a bit unrealistic with their two year offers here. A 24 year old proven goalscorer like Sturt (younger than Richards) could well have a 5 year offer on the table from more than one rival club.

Is it proven? Is 10 games the expected proven time frame??
I like him but it’s not just goals. The durability is a big question mark.

I’ll accept 3 year offer. If it’s 4 or more we’re being irresponsible. I’ll still be happy but there will be a piece of me thinking what if his knee issues flare up again.

We don’t always have to match other clubs interest. You can only hope he values the club and what we’ve done.

To walk out after 4 injury riddled years is more a reflection on him than the club.

He’ll stay.

I don't know the mechanics, but I imagine there are a whole bunch of forward strategies you can implement when you have someone as dangerous as Bolton come in. Things that will make it easier for other forwards that lead us being more potent than just the output he provides directly.

It must be such a balancing act. If you lose Schultz, other forwards need to be more defensive, you get less forward half turn overs, which leads to less scores across the board.

If Bolton comes in, then everyone else in the forward line gets a lesser match.

You are less likely to double team Treacy or Amiss, as once the ball hits the ground we are more dangerous.

Who gets Frederick or Sturt? If Bolton gets the best small to medium defender, then they get a lesser match up.

Is it proven? Is 10 games the expected proven time frame??
I like him but it’s not just goals. The durability is a big question mark.

I’ll accept 3 year offer. If it’s 4 or more we’re being irresponsible. I’ll still be happy but there will be a piece of me thinking what if his knee issues flare up again.

We don’t always have to match other clubs interest. You can only hope he values the club and what we’ve done.

To walk out after 4 injury riddled years is more a reflection on him than the club.

He’ll stay.
Well you are kinda proving the point I’m making about supporters not taking external factors into account.
We might not have a choice? We gave Hughes a 3 year deal. We gave Brodie and JOM a 4 year deal.
He’s much more proven than Richard and also younger. I think it’s crazy Richard’s getting 4 years but - the market decides. Not us.

The bottom line is if a club in Melbourne is offering him 4 years or 5 years and we are only offering 2, he will leave. Anyone would in that scenario.

We went though this all already with acres and I think he’s a lesser player than Sturt.
I obviously hope you are right and he stays but I’m around long enough watching these scenarios to know it’s not at all certain.

Freo isn’t ready to trade out our best draft hand for years, for so called ‘finishing’ players.
Our lack of depth has been exposed these last few weeks, we have players that just aren’t up to standard, and others that will be retiring.
IMHO, we still need to add more quality young players through the draft.
And let’s face it, Freo’s trading in the past decade has been average/poor, so I have little faith they’ll get it right.

Freo isn’t ready to trade out our best draft hand for years, for so called ‘finishing’ players.
Our lack of depth has been exposed these last few weeks, we have players that just aren’t up to standard, and others that will be retiring.
IMHO, we still need to add more quality young players through the draft.
And let’s face it, Freo’s trading in the past decade has been average/poor, so I have little faith they’ll get it right.

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back