Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s interesting the way people get so attached to names, particularly youth, that might have potential or sound nice on paper but never actually play an AFL game.
Take for example Conrad Williams (no slight on him just using him as an example, Kuek would be another one).

As a winger/high half forward, the gap between Williams and someone like Karl Worner who is on the fringes of AFL footy and has played a few games, would be equal or bigger in magnitude than the gap between Worner and an elite winger in the competition like Errol Gulden or Nick Daicos. It’s just that none of us ever see that gap really exposed as these lads generally never get on the park at AFL level.

The industry is just so competitive and brutal that the large majority of drafted players never make it.
Only 30% of players make it to 50 games. Only 17% make it to 100 games. On average if we draft 10 players, three will make it 50 career games.
The stats are further compounded by the fact that players in the first and early second round generally get games pumped into them early even if they haven’t earned them, thus taking away opportunities for games from others later in the draft order. No matter how bad a top 10 pick is they usually get to 50 games if they stay fit. The “Josh Schache effect”.

Tabs and Hughes did incredibly well to get a decade out of their careers. Both in the top 45 for all time appearances by freo dockers players, ever.

It’s interesting the way people get so attached to names, particularly youth, that might have potential or sound nice on paper but never actually play an AFL game.
Take for example Conrad Williams (no slight on him just using him as an example, Kuek would be another one).

As a winger/high half forward, the gap between Williams and someone like Karl Worner who is on the fringes of AFL footy and has played a few games, would be equal or bigger in magnitude than the gap between Worner and an elite winger in the competition like Errol Gulden or Nick Daicos. It’s just that none of us ever see that gap really exposed as these lads generally never get on the park at AFL level.

The industry is just so competitive and brutal that the large majority of drafted players never make it.
Only 30% of players make it to 50 games. Only 17% make it to 100 games. On average if we draft 10 players, three will make it 50 career games.
The stats are further compounded by the fact that players in the first and early second round generally get games pumped into them early even if they haven’t earned them, thus taking away opportunities for games from others later in the draft order. No matter how bad a top 10 pick is they usually get to 50 games if they stay fit. The “Josh Schache effect”.

Tabs and Hughes did incredibly well to get a decade out of their careers. Both in the top 45 for all time appearances by freo dockers players, ever.
I mean using the elite names kinda distorts things a bit. But often the margins can be incredibly small to "making it" and it's a moment here or a shift of fortunes there that can make the big difference. Even with all attempts to bring in more science, at the heart of footy clubs is a strong emotional core, strong biases and not to mention ego that can have unsound but fatal ramifications on careers. Players too mature at different rates and for every Daicos (or Ginnivan-potential flameout), there's a Menegola or (dare I say) Acres pupae ready to pop.

Played 6 games. Finished on 18 votes.
Best on ground in every game.

He clearly has a lot going for him but has drifted out with Twomey and all the watchers. Clearly something about him they don't like or have heard recruiters don't like.

Still, history has plenty of examples of gun juniors with knocks that turned out to be gun AFL players.

He clearly has a lot going for him but has drifted out with Twomey and all the watchers. Clearly something about him they don't like or have heard recruiters don't like.

Still, history has plenty of examples of gun juniors with knocks that turned out to be gun AFL players.
It's got even more examples of gun juniors the recruiters didn't rate and it turned out they were right.

So, we cleared 2 off the main list (Hughes and Tabs), one Rookie (Sebit) and a Cat B (Williams)

We need to clear at least two more from the main list, so who goes?
I suggest Corbett (who'd have a chance at going to the rookie list if they want to support his comeback from his hip)
and probably a delisting of Brodie if no trade can be found.
And how many more off the rookie list go?
Stanley would be on the chopping block, although I think he has value on the list.

Tough year to cut.
I suspect there will be a surprise trade request as well (hopefully not O'Driscoll).

With academy or F/S, if our recruiters want the player at that pick we bid if not we don’t. Yes it sucks what Carlton did and what goes around comes around at some point but no point bidding in the first round on a player rated second round just to give Carlton the bird. Would be plain dumb.

Henry was bid earlier than expected. Green slightly later than expected. We could have passed. The Carlton Shenanigans cost them in the end. Traded down and got Brodie Kemp but could have gotten more quality out of Sam Flanders or Kossie Pickett.

I read yesterday Carlton are on the chase for a quality small forward. Well you can high five ole mate Silvani for d*#king around that draft.

So, we cleared 2 off the main list (Hughes and Tabs), one Rookie (Sebit) and a Cat B (Williams)

I suggest Corbett (who'd have a chance at going to the rookie list if they want to support his comeback from his hip)
Stanley would be on the chopping block, although I think he has value on the list.

Tough year to cut.
I suspect there will be a surprise trade request as well (hopefully not O'Driscoll).

Corbett - likely gone
Knobel - hopefully extend
Jones ??
O'Driscoll - 50/50
Reidy - 1 year extension
Stanley - In trouble
Emmett

Brodie - sent to rookie list

Tough year to cut.
I think we'd be unlikely to delist a guy with a 2 years on his contract

Not sure who this guy is but he has been accurate about some things in advance of media reporting. He seems like a bit of a troll though. He says off field he is letting himself down with teamates

Sam Edmund also said yesterday that some at dogs aren't happy with his preparation leading into some games throughout the season, so there is at least some frustration there.

He just signed an extension this year (2026), and I don't think the dogs would ever trade him. But If there was any slice of truth to this, he would be the exact player Sydney would target to allow a Chad move

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you believe the Dogs board, and why wouldn't you, he's in to extracurricular activities.

Dogs get rid of people that rock the boat

Do they? The only one I can recall that they have tossed was Hunter, and he was washed up. They didn't get rid of Libba cause he can actually play. They'd keep Smith if they could. Dunkley left cause he didn't like their culture. Macrae and Daniel will leave cause they are out of favour at the selection table, not because they are rocking the boat.

Having said that, I wonder what JUH's preparation was like for the first final, because he was worst on ground and it was an atrocious performance from a supposed star player.

JUH to Sydney would be delicious and mean Chad Warner ends up with us.

On this point she'd have to be flying to Qatar with him as well while he gets his treatment as it can be challenging wiping your arse after a bad hammy...
Might be time to let it go.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back