Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was only one moment, but early in the last Simpson had some time and space with the ball on the wing, he took that time then decided to kick a loopy pass to what appeared to be an invisible player at centre half back. It presented a bow tied gift for the Swans to intercept.

Maybe they were under instruction to slow it down and preserve their lead and it got too much into his head.

He should use that horrible horrible decision-execution moment as a golden lesson to lose the constraints and play with more natural dare, attack and instinct.
I mean, this was clearly just an error, there were 3 peel players all in that vicinity and he picked out the SD player

I'd say it's 99% he was trying to hit one of the 3 peel boys

I know it only 1st to 4th year players, but surely this is a good sign. Frederick should have the endurance to apply elite pressure.

I wonder if certain players, can see the play unfolding 2 or 3 second early and no when and how to apply defensive pressure. Maybe he just doesn't have that.

FREMANTLE FIRST TO FOUR YEAR 1km TIME TRIAL FINISHES:

Time Trial 1:

1. Karl Worner
2. Michael Frederick
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Conrad Williams
5. Matt Johnson

Time Trial 2:
1. Michael Frederick
2. Karl Worner
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Conrad Williams
5. Matt Johnson

Time Trial 3:
1. Nathan O’Driscoll
2. Michael Frederick
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Karl Worner
5. Matt Johnson
Nice. The club is being derelict by not trying him on the wing if we get 2 starting small/medium forwards in..

Freddy’s role is to get up the ground & try to lose his opponent on the way back, which at times he does well. That fast ball movement is when he is at his most dangerous & defence is not an option for him.
He goes missing when the ball comes in slowly & should work on locking it in with pressure. He doesn’t do this any where near enough.
To me, it's a game plan thing, the aim being to protect the corridor (read: defense). So the priority is to corral wide and stop the 45s to the corner of the square, rather than applying frontal pressure and committing to the tackle (and the attendant risks of losing that contest and allowing easy access to the middle). We actually make it really easy for oppo to get out of their D50 via kicks wide and along the boundary to encourage that option and discourage attacking play up the corridor.

I guess it's possible that we do this because Freddy (and others) are just no good at locking it in, or not committed enough to doing so, though it seems a bit unlikely to me. Either way, it will be interesting to see how things change if/when we get Bolton and any other new small/half forward options.

Presented without context

View attachment 2112286
There's absolutely no way we should entertain placing Narkle on our list to keep Bolton happy. I'd be willing to do it for SPP though - decent player.

Kane Cornes said it all when it comes to Narkle in his tweet about Friday night's game suggesting Port had five players playing that shouldn't be on AFL lists. Don't know who else he's referring to but if Narkle isn't top of that list I'd be very surprised.

Just shows that our depth isn't that far behind the good teams IMO, although Port do rely massively on their top 5-6 players.

There's absolutely no way we should entertain placing Narkle on our list to keep Bolton happy. I'd be willing to do it for SPP though - decent player.

Kane Cornes said it all when it comes to Narkle in his tweet about Friday night's game suggesting Port had five players playing that shouldn't be on AFL lists. Don't know who else he's referring to but if Narkle isn't top of that list I'd be very surprised.

Just shows that our depth isn't that far behind the good teams IMO, although Port do rely massively on their top 5-6 players.
Narkle in talks for South Freo next year.

To me, it's a game plan thing, the aim being to protect the corridor (read: defense). So the priority is to corral wide and stop the 45s to the corner of the square, rather than applying frontal pressure and committing to the tackle (and the attendant risks of losing that contest and allowing easy access to the middle). We actually make it really easy for oppo to get out of their D50 via kicks wide and along the boundary to encourage that option and discourage attacking play up the corridor.

I guess it's possible that we do this because Freddy (and others) are just no good at locking it in, or not committed enough to doing so, though it seems a bit unlikely to me. Either way, it will be interesting to see how things change if/when we get Bolton and any other new small/half forward options.

I wonder if JL likes the game plan, or uses it because of personal.

e.g. replace Walters, Fyfe and JOM with 3 quicker players , do we keep the same game plan? (Picked the first 3 slow players that came to mind)

Narkle gonna be delisted? Why?
He has played the back end of the year right?
It may change and he gets a contract offer, but if he's already in talks with WAFL clubs? Tabs was chatting to clubs about half way through the year as well.

Been on the fringes all year, playing now mainly because of the outs. shrugs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may change and he gets a contract offer, but if he's already in talks with WAFL clubs? Tabs was chatting to clubs about half way through the year as well.

Been on the fringes all year, playing now mainly because of the outs. shrugs
Sounds to me like he wants to get back to WA for non-footy reasons.

I don't think either WA team would be interested. He's not best 25 at Freo (I'd actually say best 30 but that's kind of debatable) and whilst he probably is at West Coast they'll want to get games into younger players that'll go past him in 12-18 months anyway. He'd just be a list clogger for either team.

Sounds to me like he wants to get back to WA for non-footy reasons.

I don't think either WA team would be interested. He's not best 25 at Freo and whilst he probably is at West Coast they'd pretend he's not in order to get games into younger players that'll go past him in 12-18 months anyway. He'd just be a list clogger for either team.
I agree, but pretty sure he and SPP are close.

Was the SPP extension at Port around the same time the committed to Narkle for a couple of years?

I mean, this was clearly just an error, there were 3 peel players all in that vicinity and he picked out the SD player

I'd say it's 99% he was trying to hit one of the 3 peel boys
Error in decision making (I mean horrific bad) when under near zero pressure was what makes it concerning. And sure execution can go awry... but what he pulled out of the hat was a few strokes below sub par.

I mean I like Simpson too, but it's the combination there that makes it a stark moment to carry forward and not just be brushed aside.

Hopefully a real learning opportunity.

I know it only 1st to 4th year players, but surely this is a good sign. Frederick should have the endurance to apply elite pressure.

I wonder if certain players, can see the play unfolding 2 or 3 second early and no when and how to apply defensive pressure. Maybe he just doesn't have that.

FREMANTLE FIRST TO FOUR YEAR 1km TIME TRIAL FINISHES:

Time Trial 1:

1. Karl Worner
2. Michael Frederick
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Conrad Williams
5. Matt Johnson

Time Trial 2:
1. Michael Frederick
2. Karl Worner
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Conrad Williams
5. Matt Johnson

Time Trial 3:
1. Nathan O’Driscoll
2. Michael Frederick
3. Neil Erasmus
4. Karl Worner
5. Matt Johnson
The 1 thing I worry about in terms of natural attributes is whether Freddy is a bit too "straight line pace" and tall to apply high level pressure and be a real presence at ground level. Some of the elite small fwds in those areas are shorter and have more agility. Not to say he can't improve in those areas coz he definitely can: 2022 in particular he was applying good pressure.

Might also have a bit to do with role. With his raw pace, he's a very appealing outlet option, and I imagine that's where he expends the bulk of his running. After Sharp (and there's a big gap after him), I think he's often next highest in sprint data on the Telstra Tracker.

I agree, but pretty sure he and SPP are close.

Was the SPP extension at Port around the same time the committed to Narkle for a couple of years?
Tbh I think Port were just really short on depth and saw the opportunity to bring someone in with AFL experience in the MSD. I don't think most clubs draft anyone without planning to keep said player on their list a second season.

Now we're heading into trade week and free agency and eventually DFA and SSP they'll be no shortage of out of contract experienced fringe players that quite frankly offer a fair bit more than Narkle. There's already been players delisted that are better than him.

2024 average age per team in home and away season​

Collingwood – 27.5
Geelong – 27.1
Brisbane – 26.3
Western Bulldogs – 26.2
Carlton – 26.1
Sydney – 26
Melbourne – 25.9
Essendon – 25.9
Richmond – 25.8
Port Adelaide – 25.7
St Kilda – 25.6
West Coast – 25.4
Greater Western Sydney – 25.2
Hawthorn – 25
Fremantle – 25
Adelaide – 24.8
Gold Coast – 24.7
North Melbourne – 24.3

2024 average games player per team in home and away season​

Geelong – 128
Collingwood – 128
Brisbane – 123
Sydney – 118
Melbourne – 113
Essendon – 110
Western Bulldogs – 109
St Kilda – 100
Port Adelaide – 100
West Coast – 96
Richmond – 95
Greater Western Sydney – 94
Carlton – 91
Hawthorn – 90
Fremantle – 87
Gold Coast – 85
Adelaide – 80
North Melbourne – 75

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/fixture?Competition=3&Season=72&Round=1106

Error in decision making (I mean horrific bad) when under near zero pressure was what makes it concerning. And sure execution can go awry... but what he pulled out of the hat was a few strokes below sub par.

I mean I like Simpson too, but it's the combination there that makes it a stark moment to carry forward and not just be brushed aside.

Hopefully a real learning opportunity.
Yes, that was a moment where I sat up and was like wow that's horrific, that's way below the level. I'm hoping it's just first year blues. Coop has really fallen off in the second half of this season.

I was thinking if Noddy does leave, the club probably wants Chapman to replace him on the wing. Pretty risky move but could pay off.

Yes, that was a moment where I sat up and was like wow that's horrific, that's way below the level. I'm hoping it's just first year blues. Coop has really fallen off in the second half of this season.
Specifically the last 4 games. He actually was really building at the backend by getting a few more touches and getting on the scoreboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back