Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Current picks are roughly:
11, 13, 16

Would love one of Port or Pies to fall out of 8 but probably unlikely.
My Port supporting mate reckons they have a very hard road home and still no certainty for the eight. I would be more optimistic than him because they have a great midfield.

Freo playing 4D chess.
Offer massive for Logan. Swans retaliate and sign McDonald on overs.
Freo offer massive on Baker. Eagles retaliate and grab Baker.

Then we make a huge play on Warner. Swans can’t match due to dollars on McDonald and others. Eagles can’t grab due to Baker and loss of trading currency.

BANG! We swoop on Warner.

Freo playing 4D chess.
Offer massive for Logan. Swans retaliate and sign McDonald on overs.
Freo offer massive on Baker. Eagles retaliate and grab Baker.

Then we make a huge play on Warner. Swans can’t match due to dollars on McDonald and others. Eagles can’t grab due to Baker and loss of trading currency.

BANG! We swoop on Warner.
I hope you are right, cap space is tight and we have multiple players to be paid such as Brayshaw and Treacy. We need to prioritise our cap space which is why we can't afford Warner if we go for Baker.

How could you possibly know this?
I could be wrong but isn't this logical though? Let's use conservative estimates and say Baker asks for $600k and Warner $700k, that is equal to $1.3 million in cap space. Realistically they will both be asking for a lot more (probably $1.5 million plus). Then you need to consider Brayshaw is out of contract in 2025 and will want his pay day. Same concept applies to Tracey in 2026. Salary caps exist for a reason, to prevent rich clubs from signing big names on inflated contracts. That is why in my opinion we can't sign both players. This was the cost of getting Jackson and retaining Darcy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who even IS this Finey numpty? He is obviously bereft of topics to fill dead space with so he drags out an old chestnut that even Suma gave up on.🤦🏻‍♂️

Who actually knows, but working the books shouldn’t be too difficult.
Computer Working GIF

I could be wrong but isn't this logical though? Let's use conservative estimates and say Baker asks for $600k and Warner $700k, that is equal to $1.3 million in cap space. Realistically they will both be asking for a lot more (probably $1.5 million plus). Then you need to consider Brayshaw is out of contract in 2025 and will want his pay day. Same concept applies to Tracey in 2026. Salary caps exist for a reason, to prevent rich clubs from signing big names on inflated contracts. That is why in my opinion we can't sign both players. This was the cost of getting Jackson and retaining Darcy.
The reports are that we have a fair amount of cap space (Herald Sun and Cal Twomey I think the main sources for that claim), plus Tabs signed his deal that expires end of this year just off the back of his AA squad selection, his contract (and to a lesser extent Hughes') coming off the books would count for something. You'd also think some team out there can use what Brodie can bring.

Mind you, I'd be surprised if Warner alone signs a contract that isn't 7 figures, and that's without the potential nepotism deals for his brothers (if it's good enough for the Bucks with Giannis, it's good enough for us).

I don't normally say something like this because 99% of the time it's highly unlikely.

But surely there is a medium/small forward in one of the state leagues that can offer more than Walters and Emmet atm.

I would think so too, but even then I’m not sure how much to expect from a debutant forward pocket. Hardly anyone can do a Barlow and just slot right in seamlessly.

The best hope is maybe to give a delisted player a second chance like we did with Wagner. So maybe Winder or some SANFL or VFL equivalent.

The reports are that we have a fair amount of cap space (Herald Sun and Cal Twomey I think the main sources for that claim), plus Tabs signed his deal that expires end of this year just off the back of his AA squad selection, his contract (and to a lesser extent Hughes') coming off the books would count for something. You'd also think some team out there can use what Brodie can bring.

Mind you, I'd be surprised if Warner alone signs a contract that isn't 7 figures, and that's without the potential nepotism deals for his brothers (if it's good enough for the Bucks with Giannis, it's good enough for us).
You are right, we will be offloading some players at the end of the season which should free up some cap space. The salary cap will also increase by $2 million in 2025. This is just speculation but Warner is a $1 million dollar player and Baker will demand closer to $800k, that alone wipes out most of the cap rise. If we can afford both Baker and Warner it is a no brainer.

We are an EXTREMELY young side.
We have Fyfe and Walters setting off into the sunset soon, and guys like Hughes on middling wages and Tabs n maybe a bit more going.

If we can’t pay for both of them I’ll eat my own arse.

That's not logic. That's guessing. If you want to draw a conclusion, you need to establish the validity of the premise/s. In this case you can't do that because you don't have access to the books.

So the best you can do is say IF these wild guesses are correct, then I am correct. But that is of no use because I could just come up with my own IF:

If we've been front-ending with an eye to attract a FA and we also had 500k each set aside for Schultz and Henry then we've got enough to cover both Baker and Warner.

And we've gotten nowhere.

We just don't know.

Players OOC this year:
Bailey Banfield (UFA)
Conrad Williams (NFA)
Corey Wagner (UFA)
Ethan Hughes (UFA)
Ethan Stanley (NFA)
Josh Corbett (NFA)
Liam Riedy (NFA)
Matthew Taberner (UFA)
Max Knobel (NFA)
Nathan O'Driscoll (NFA)
Odin Jones (NFK)
Patrick Voss (UFA)
Sam Sturt (NFA)
Sebit Kuek (NFA)
Tom Emmett (NFA)

Source: Footy Wire

Seems like we are in a pretty good position list management wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back