List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I’d like our priorities to be.

1. all out for Warner if he wants in. Use the picks we need to, don’t let the deal fall over to next year.
2. If Warner said no, go for Shai. Same as above.
3. No trades that aren’t walking in a top 10 player for us.
4. If neither of the above want in, and there’s no top 10 players want in, go to the draft. Get savvy and trade one of our picks into next years draft and hope for a team to slide.
This is probably the only point I differ on. Obviously we'd all love to get the big stars, but there's nothing wrong with a bargain basement signing. We've been linked to Jack Martin and Joe Richards, so it seems like an avenue the club is exploring. I think those sort of role players are fine to have a look at.

It's that in between tier that I hate especially under the new cap and especially if you have to trade and offer the big contract. The players who are clearly better than your role players/squad fillers but also don't have superstardom in their future. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general trading in that level of player seems like a recipe for a bloated cap.

I was fairly pro-Baker for a good while, but as the noise around Warner and Bolton has grown, if Baker interferes with a chase for that level of player, it's a pass. Besides, with West Coast already having a dearth of young talent, I wouldn't mind seeing them "win" that race

Rivers, Sharp, Jackson and Warner all played at East Freo colts together.Rivers is contracted for another 3 years but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at Freo at some point.

If Warner comes here, I reckon Rivers would be close to a certainty. They are going to want to get the band back together. He will be RFA end of 2027 at age 26 and should be in his prime. I would hope our side is up near the pointy end with our age profile. And Melbourne quite possibly back down near the bottom with Gawn, May, etc finished. Reckon he can become a beastly midfielder (e.g. like Yeo), and if not then he can still be an Aish/Ryan replacement down back.

Unfortunately the AFL is bringing in picks 2 years in the future

So we will have 2025, 2026 and 2027 first rounders to trade at the end of 2025

Unless the club just flat out says we won't trade future future picks, which may be a thing some clubs do?

Is this confirmed? I have no doubt it’ll happen but I thought I saw somewhere that trading picks even further into the future was possibly on the cards.

In true AFL fashion I expect an announcement shortly after we trade one of our 2024 picks. All clubs not from WA or SA and not some minnow Victorian club would’ve somehow known earlier.

Yeah, what we have this year could be better than anything we hold in the future.
We've had success in letting contracted players go a year early, and maximizing value.

Fingers crossed the Swans think the same.
We weren't in contention at the time. If I were the Swans I'd hold him for 1 more. I might let him walk if we won the flag.

If Warner comes here, I reckon Rivers would be close to a certainty. They are going to want to get the band back together. He will be RFA end of 2027 at age 26 and should be in his prime. I would hope our side is up near the pointy end with our age profile. And Melbourne quite possibly back down near the bottom with Gawn, May, etc finished. Reckon he can become a beastly midfielder (e.g. like Yeo), and if not then he can still be an Aish/Ryan replacement down back.
that would be my dream team

Is this confirmed? I have no doubt it’ll happen but I thought I saw somewhere that trading picks even further into the future was possibly on the cards.

In true AFL fashion I expect an announcement shortly after we trade one of our 2024 picks. All clubs not from WA or SA and not some minnow Victorian club would’ve somehow known earlier.
Not confirmed yet but Twomey expects it to be brought in next year

Some clubs wanted further than 2 years but most clubs apparently only want 2 years so it seems like they'll settle on that.

There was some talk of protecting future picks. Reckon its a good idea because otherwise you just know some club is going to drastically overrate their list, offer up 2 future 1sts for some plodder and end up giving away two top 3 picks.

On recent form you'd back us to be on the right side of that, but the inner Freo fan in my says I should know better.

If you can't trade future picks because you didn't use two first round picks in the last four years then we are fine to trade future picks this season... but if we don't use some this year we can't use them next year.

So buy an extra gun player this year and trade the picks into the future. Still just two picks end of 2025 for Chad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney lost Jordan Dawson to Crom for unders and I doubt they want that to happen again with Warner. So they should seriously consider our offer this year while we have the currency.

This is what I’d like our priorities to be.

1. all out for Warner if he wants in. Use the picks we need to, don’t let the deal fall over to next year.
2. If Warner said no, go for Shai. Same as above.
3. No trades that aren’t walking in a top 10 player for us.
4. If neither of the above want in, and there’s no top 10 players want in, go to the draft. Get savvy and trade one of our picks into next years draft and hope for a team to slide.
It's funny you mention this because from I've been told:
  • The club believes we have picks to get both Warner and Bolton this year. We don't expect Sydney to release Warner this trade period but we'll give it a go, unlikely it will happen this year. Move on to 2025.
  • With Bolton, we think we can get him this year if he requests a trade. No word on Baker other than what we all already know that WC is his favoured destination.
  • If none of the above eventuate we have our sights set on a small forward that fits the age profile (trade not draft), maybe Motlop or Collard, i'm guessing.
  • Like last year we are willing to trade our first rounders into next year and all clubs already know that and it's probably to get a better draft hand for Warner in 2025.
It would be nice for CTD to confirm (or deny)

It's funny you mention this because from I've been told:
  • The club believes we have picks to get both Warner and Bolton this year. We don't expect Sydney to release Warner this trade period but we'll give it a go, unlikely it will happen this year. Move on to 2025.
  • With Bolton, we think we can get him this year if he requests a trade. No word on Baker other than what we all already know that WC is his favoured destination.
  • If none of the above eventuate we have our sights set on a small forward that fits the age profile (trade not draft), maybe Motlop or Collard, i'm guessing.
  • Like last year we are willing to trade our first rounders into next year and all clubs already know that and it's probably to get a better draft hand for Warner in 2025.
It would be nice for CTD to confirm (or deny)
I assume the club has hired Dodo to do the negotiations and the Carlton president to fund said pick up of both players? For real though, Warner feels like such a lock next year it's weird. Even Ralph's article backing you up that it's seem widely known we are moving a first to next year, for Warner is just bizarre haha

I assume the club has hired Dodo to do the negotiations and the Carlton president to fund said pick up of both players? For real though, Warner feels like such a lock next year it's weird. Even Ralph's article backing you up that it's seem widely known we are moving a first to next year, for Warner is just bizarre haha
What did Ralph say? I've only read what Jay Clark said

Best 1st and Saints second for Bolton.
Draft Travaglia, Lindsay, Moraes, Reid or maybe Berry with a 1st.
Trade 3rd 1st into 2025.

Package 2 x 2025 1sts for a higher 1st.
2025 and 2026 1st for Warner.

We may have the capspace, but we sure dont have enough picks to get both done this year if Sydney relent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back