• Chad Warner

Votes: 189 66.3%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 27 9.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We should just keep moving our firsts to the next year and trading multiple 2nds for firsts and just use our 4th rounders.

By 2032 we’ll have won 4 premierships with this current squad and have 17 firsts to take to the 2033 draft, where in reliably informed it’s projecting as a super draft. The current U10s are rumoured to be the best U10 lot seen.

It's always good to draft some good 18 year olds. IMO it's pretty much essential for sustained success. Otherwise you become West Coast much quicker than you expect.

It'd be good to get two imo, then let Walls have a crack at a mature ager towards the end of the draft.

You have to take risks to win flags. 10 other clubs will be taking risks to win the flag, one each year will have a super side.

"Sustained success" is meaningless with out ever actually being the best and winning the flag. We don't need a nice spread of years at the top. We just need to be the very best for 4 or 5 years to win a couple of flags.

Trade the picks and take the risk. It's not like we sre in the eagles position who traded their own 3 picks. Two of our are from losing senior players to trades. We would essentially only be being trading out of one of our drafts by trading our 3 first rounders, and we would still have our very good saints second rounder.

You have to take risks to win flags. 10 other clubs will be taking risks to win the flag, one each year will have a super side.

"Sustained success" is meaningless with out ever actually being the best and winning the flag. We don't need a nice spread of years at the top. We just need to be the very best for 4 or 5 years to win a couple of flags.

Trade the picks and take the risk. It's not like we sre in the eagles position who traded their own 3 picks. Two of our are from losing senior players to trades. We would essentially only be being trading out of one of our drafts by trading our 3 first rounders, and we would still have our very good saints second rounder.

We do have a salary cap. Warner is really all we need. And have space for.

Our best 22 still has weak areas. Add 2 small forwards and some out class through the draft and our best 25 is set.

Then get Warner next year v

We do have a salary cap. Warner is really all we need. And have space for.

Our best 22 still has weak areas. Add 2 small forwards and some out class through the draft and our best 25 is set.

Then get Warner next year v
I feel I've talked the most on here about needing to trade for now.

I cannot however support trading away every decent pick we have unless it's genuinely worth it (i.e. Warner).

It's AFL rules to go to the draft in some capacity. May as well give ourselves a good chance of making those players good.

I've said before we need a best 30 players but I don't think keeping all 30 each year is doable from a salary cap perspective unless a few of them are kind sh**e. They'll always be players leaving each off season. Some will retire, some will leave for opportunity and sometimes you've just got move on player 29-30 to give your 1-3 year player more opportunity the next season. It's critical we have some players coming through underneath to have those 30 good players each year imo.

No first rounder in three years would be a massive risk for as soon as 3-4 years time imo.

Last edited:
Talk around the time WC traded that pick #2 was that the Victorian lads available at the second live pick (Sheezel/Wardlaw) were flight risks. So they split the pick and took both local mids.
Not saying you are wrong, but see I think is crazy tactics by west coast.
Why take an inferior player if you think the better one will go home?
Put it this way - which would be the better position for west Coast to be in right now after this scenario:
A - they took Sheezel. He lit it up and won the Nab rising star for the eagles and then looked for a trade back home, say end of next year after 4 years at Lathlain.

B - what they did do. Took Ginbey and Hewett. Ginbey is in Neil Erasmus areas if you ask me. Solid player but no world beater.
The unknown is Hewett of course but one would have to be pretty optimistic To think he is going to be anything remotely like Sheezel.

Premium players are so hard to get. Sheezel would be worth two top 5 picks right now. He’s insanely valuable.
Would the eagles swap Ginbey and Hewett this October for the current trade value of Harry Sheezel? I think they would snap your hand off for that.

At least they took Reid last year and learned their lesson. Can you imagine if they had traded him away for Dan Curtin and an F1!!!

Last edited:
One of the best representations of age and talent you'll see. Shows why Hawks, Sydney and us are fantastically placed, and why WC and Richmond are ****ed. Also, just imagine if you took Reid out of that first bracket for WC

Put it this way - which would be the better position for west Coast to be in right now after this scenario:
A - they took Sheezel. He lit it up and won the Nab rising star for the eagles and then looked for a trade back home, say end of next year after 4 years at Lathlain.

B - what they did do. Took Ginbey and Hewett. Ginbey is in Neil Erasmus areas if you ask me. Solid player but no world beater.
The unknown is Hewett of course but one would have to be pretty option is to. To think he is going to be anything remotely like Sheezel.

Premium players are so hard to get. Sheezel would be worth two top 5 picks right now. He’s insanely valuable.
Would the eagles swap Ginbey and Hewett this October for the current trade value of Harry Sheezel? I think they would snap your hand off for that.

At least they took Reid last year and learned their lesson. Can you imagine if they had traded him away for Dan Curtin and an F1!!!
Our decision to draft Cerra and AB proved right later eventhough they were Vic metro. AB still with us and Cerra became Amiss

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our decision to draft Cerra and AB proved right later eventhough they were Vic metro. AB still with us and Cerra became Amiss

We should do the same this year if we are not getting Warner this season. If one of our 3 1sts is top 10, just draft best available in that range, take a need with next pick and move the 3rd first rounder to next year and use Saints pick for a slider or move to next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the best representations of age and talent you'll see. Shows why Hawks, Sydney and us are fantastically placed, and why WC and Richmond are ****ed. Also, just imagine if you took Reid out of that first bracket for WC

You could add Collingwood to the ****ed list

The other observation is that Carlton (and Essendon) have only this year and perhaps next to get it done.

The unknown is Hewett of course but one would have to be pretty optimistic To think he is going to be anything remotely like Sheezel.

It all relies on the homesick player leaving without signing an extension playing as professionally as Cerra, and less like McCarthy/Tom Boyd/Josh Schache.

Easier to pick Brander after Kelly and Oscar Allen in hindsight - and I don't think Ginbey and Hewett are write offs yet. Ginbey would suit our squad, he just needs to have a full preseason.

It's the same risk as Harley Reid requesting a trade home end of his deal, yes more draft picks, woo, but now you've got to start again with two more maybe players and pump 80 games into them.

If WC didn't think Sheezel and Wardlaw would stick around they were right to pass on them, especially if their playing performance would be rubbish while homesick here.

It all relies on the homesick player leaving without signing an extension playing as professionally as Cerra, and less like McCarthy/Tom Boyd/Josh Schache.

Easier to pick Brander after Kelly and Oscar Allen in hindsight - and I don't think Ginbey and Hewett are write offs yet. Ginbey would suit our squad, he just needs to have a full preseason.

It's the same risk as Harley Reid requesting a trade home end of his deal, yes more draft picks, woo, but now you've got to start again with two more maybe players and pump 80 games into them.

If WC didn't think Sheezel and Wardlaw would stick around they were right to pass on them, especially if their playing performance would be rubbish while homesick here.
If Sheezel has come to the eagles he would have been just as good. Great players don’t put the queue in the rack and sulk for 3 years because they didn’t get to their preferred destination. Name a single elite player that’s ever done that (not tried or played at 100% at their first club) and went on to become a superstar at their next club. JHF maybe but he’s got a way to go yet too. Can’t think of many others.
Schache? I’ve said it before on here but he might be the worst player I’ve ever seen at AFL level when you consider where he was picked. Mccarthy and Boyd had mental demons that prevented them from ever becoming gun players too.

I don’t believe for one second believe that Sheezel or Wardlaw would have been anything other than model pros and gun young players at the eagles.

We should just keep moving our firsts to the next year and trading multiple 2nds for firsts and just use our 4th rounders.

By 2032 we’ll have won 4 premierships with this current squad and have 17 firsts to take to the 2033 draft, where in reliably informed it’s projecting as a super draft. The current U10s are rumoured to be the best U10 lot seen.
This is ridiculous. I’ve seen the under 10’s and they are a bunch of short people who can barely hit a target.

The Eagles didn’t have a chance of drafting Sheezel did they?
Please tell me they did

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They did until they traded out for picks 8 and 12.

I think you knew that but no harm in recapping.

Mind you we could have allegedly traded Andrew Brayshaw to get both Hunter Clark and Coffield so these trades can work out.

Carlton is interesting.

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back