Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 56 15.2%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I have heard on the grapevine that Irelands Ultan Kelm is currently on the way to Australia for a trial with the Fremantle Dockers.

Edit: seems to be confirmed here by a local journalist in Ireland

Huh. This came up in a conversation at work this morning, with Geelong also looking at another Irish rookie.

Probably doesn’t bode well for Williams, unless the afl plans to increase list sizes and/or cat b spots

Huh. This came up in a conversation at work this morning, with Geelong also looking at another Irish rookie.

Probably doesn’t bode well for Williams, unless the afl plans to increase list sizes and/or cat b spots
Ultan has had a good couple of years with Fermanagh. He’s a powerful athlete, very explosive with great speed. Interesting to see how he goes

I have heard on the grapevine that Irelands Ultan Kelm is currently on the way to Australia for a trial with the Fremantle Dockers.

Jeez btwn Kelm and Bizzell, Williams' spot as a Cat B rookie is not secure at all. There's a player there, but we might have to wait too long for it to emerge.

Freeeeeeemantle.

I like that the club is continuing to look for talent in different places, low likelihood but it's a competitive landscape.

We must really like him, the clubs been trying to get him over for 3 years.

From Gaeliclife -

FERMANAGH footballer Ultan Kelm is set to head Down Under tomorrow to participate in trials with AFL club Fremantle Dockers.

Kelm came close to joining the Western Australia club in 2021 as a Catergory B rookie but a recurring hip injury ended the Belleek speedster’s dream only two months after news broke that he had been snapped up.

The Erne Gaels clubman has made it clear in subsequent interviews that he hadn’t given up on the possibility of an AFL career, revealing to the Irish Times last December that, “It’s not a closed door from my end. It’s an opportunity that I would love to give a rattle to if the opportunity did arise.

“Once you hit 19 I think that’s nearly old to be going out there. But from my end, I’d like to think I’ve got experience. I’ve had an AFL ball in my hand for the last couple of years so I am not going out completely raw to it.”

Now it has emerged that he is set for a second shot at the AFL with the ‘Dockers’, a club with a rich history, hosting the state’s first organised game of Australian rules all the way back in 1881.

1721358039393.png

From Irish Times in 2021 -
Confirming the Fermanagh man’s recruitment back in October 2021, the club’s head of player personnel described Kelm, who had returned “off the charts” data in athletic trials, including a 2.8 second 20-metre sprint, as a “really good athlete” who was “incredibly motivated”.

Weeks later, however, a follow-up announcement appeared on the club’s website stating that they had come to an agreement to delay Kelm’s arrival.

The Erne Gaels talent had suffered a recurrence of a hip injury and, according to the club, a revised plan was put in place to allow him to recover at home before trialling again for a “permanent move and Category B listing for 2023″.
Kelm’s genuine love for the oval-ball game is apparent. Many recruits from the GAA have little or no interest in the AFL until they pitch up at a trial or combine. Kelm has kept on top of his skills, in the event that a move to Australia does materialise.

“To be honest, from my end, it was just a pure interest in it from when I picked up the Sherrin [ball] for the first time, it was a really satisfying kick and I thought it actually brought on my GAA kicking,” he said.

Kelm’s sprint time in testing was only bettered by former Kerry underage star Deividas Uosis, who signed with Brisbane Lions in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nek minut Ultan jumps off the bus in Southhampton and asks "whare the Fook ar thay"

And here we were all thinking the 'Dockers' started playing in 1995. Thankyou for enlightening us random Irish journalist.
I really do hope that is a very tongue in cheek comment.
Fremantle football has been around since JC was a child.

The Fremantle Football Club was an Australian rules football club based in Fremantle, Western Australia, that played in the Western Australian Football Association (WAFA) from 1886 to 1899. The club was known as the Union Football Club from 1882–89.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back