Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

But we can still do something like that, except it is Bolton (a proven AFL star) instead of Berry (an unknown quantity). We could give up 3 first rounders for Bolton + Baker, and then have the Saints pick for say Hamish Davis as the Banfield replacement.

And as much as someone like Darcy Wilson looks good now and should keep improving, Sharp has him covered comfortably this year for most metrics. That's just one example where even if you cherry picked the draft, you still are unlikely to move the needle for years. And most picks will impact much less than Wilson. I've said go to the draft for 2028-2030 impact, but only if Bolton and Warner are off the table. Now that Bolton is in play, we must make it happen.

I replied to one of your earlier posts with Bolton's supreme numbers at Optus. Maybe you missed it. On average output, he would be close to the best performed player in the whole competition at our home ground over the last 3-4 years.

His numbers are very good. If he had a bit more polish, then I would probably be all aboard. I prefer Baker to him, when you consider you need to pay 600k and a 2nd rounder for Baker.

If he was not contracted, and we only had to give up one pick then I would be on board but he is not.

I would happily trade him for pick 9.

It is just paying 9 and 16, I think is too much.
So it’s the pick 16 (likely to be 20 by draft night) that is the sticking point for you?
What exactly are you expecting with that pick 16 that would make you go from a yes to a no with Bolton? 95% chance it will be a player that is not ready to meaningfully contribute for 3 years. And that’s a good outcome even at that.

Players like Bolton don’t come around too often via trade for a club like Freo.
We just have to make it happen.

So it’s the pick 16 (likely to be 20 by draft night) that is the sticking point for you?
What exactly are you expecting with that pick 16 that would make you go from a yes to a no with Bolton? 95% chance it will be a player that is not ready to meaningfully contribute for 3 years. And that’s a good outcome even at that.

Players like Bolton don’t come around too often via trade for a club like Freo.
We just have to make it happen.

As I have said multiple times, I don't rate Bolton that highly.

FYI - Rankine went for pick 6 or 7
Cameron went for 14, 17, 20 with 24 and 27 coming back.

Paying 9 and 16 for Bolton is massive overs in my opinion.

FYI - more than likely Berry is available at ports pick.

His numbers are very good. If he had a bit more polish, then I would probably be all aboard. I prefer Baker to him, when you consider you need to pay 600k and a 2nd rounder for Baker.

If he was not contracted, and we only had to give up one pick then I would be on board but he is not.

And there's a very good reason why Bolton and Baker have different values. Only one of them is a genuine match winner. Only one of them brings the exact thing which is missing from our side. Only one of them could push us into premiership contention by themselves.

Bolton also brings an intangible element to the game in the form of excitement from the fans. The ability to get the crowd fired up is underrated. Energy from the home crowd goes back to the players and lifts them. I went to the dreamtime match at Optus a few years back, and it was amazing to witness both his dynamic play and the crowd level from the Tigers fans whenever he went near the ball.

2022 just in case some need more convincing. I know it’s a highlights package, but they’re special highlights.

Plenty of crumbing goals and opportunistic goals that we lack.

I’d argue that you couldn’t create a package anywhere near as impressive with our entire smalls or mids from last 2 years.

This is the Bolton version I’m sure we’ll get in a team where the heavy lifting is done by others. If that makes him a front runner I don’t care.

Don’t remember any Freo player ever showing the ball to the opposition, I could really get behind some of that arrogance. Haters are gonna hate him.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It just seems insane you don't rate him highly. He's basically another version of Walters that has a lot more leg speed but doesn't kick as well. Walters has 65% accuracy in front of goal, Bolton 54%. It's safe to say that translates to field kicking too but Bolton has pace to burn so will hurt opposition in different ways.

The thing is we will get him at the right time. Not like Walters who was peaking when our team was rebuilding. Who knows the final draft cost but if it is 9 + 16 with some picks in the 30's or 40's coming back then just do it.

You had better hope Berry is the GOAT small forward with how much you love him haha

Richmond will want 9 and 10.
We’ll offer 10 and 26.

93% of trade week will pass.

We’ll relent and offer 10 and 17.
Richmond will hold firm on 9 and 10 but offer pick 30 back.

98% of trade week will pass.

We’ll go to 9 and 17 with 21 coming back.

It will fall somewhere around here.

Unless Baker gets tied to the deal.

Then it’s 9,10 and 26 with something rubbish coming back.

Must keep a first to take to the draft in 2024.

It just seems insane you don't rate him highly. He's basically another version of Walters that has a lot more leg speed but doesn't kick as well. Walters has 65% accuracy in front of goal, Bolton 54%. It's safe to say that translates to field kicking too but Bolton has pace to burn.

The thing is we will get him at the right time. Not like Walters who was peaking when our team was rebuilding. Who knows the final draft cost but if it is 9 + 16 with some picks in the 30's or 40's coming back then just do it.
As much as I disagree with him, everyone should be comfortable with losing the top two picks straight up with like pick 30 and salary coming back at best. I dont see Richmond accepting unless they get those top picks. It's more what we can get coming back.

If we keep the middle 1st, we have done very well IMO

He’s lightning quick too.
I’m tired watching slow battlers like Banfield and JOM and Aish and most of our midfield is slow too actually.
Bolton has speed of thought as well as speed in his legs

Those players exploded after the trade though.

You sre using hindsite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changing subject.

What are people thoughts on Matt Johnson from Frankston

He reminds me of Jamie Elliot, in that while he can crumb the ball, he also loves leading at the ball, and is handy 1v1. Is quick, has kicked 41 goals 23 behinds in 18 games.

I think he is worth a shot.

As much as I disagree with him, everyone should be comfortable with losing the top two picks straight up with like pick 30 and salary coming back at best. I dont see Richmond accepting unless they get those top picks. It's more what we can get coming back.

If we keep the middle 1st, we have done very well IMO

Would love pick 21 but that’s also unrealistic.

I’m prepared for 9 and 10. Salary, what comes back etc will be of interest but the headlines will read FREO PAY 2 FIRSTS

Richmond will want 9 and 10.
We’ll offer 10 and 26.

93% of trade week will pass.

We’ll relent and offer 10 and 17.
Richmond will hold firm on 9 and 10 but offer pick 30 back.

98% of trade week will pass.

We’ll go to 9 and 17 with 21 coming back.

It will fall somewhere around here.

Unless Baker gets tied to the deal.

Then it’s 9,10 and 26 with something rubbish coming back.

Must keep a first to take to the draft in 2024.

Reckon this is what will happen. Agree we should keep a first unless we start trading forward for Warner.

I think if the last 4 weeks has solidified anything for me it's that in 2025 there's more than 2 holes on the list.

Bolton fixes our biggest area of need. Baker would add something we don't have even if need is stretching it. But there's still another couple I'd like to drop or improve on. As long as we can still take a couple of picks before 30/40 I'm ok with it.

Would love pick 21 but that’s also unrealistic.

I’m prepared for 9 and 10. Salary, what comes back etc will be of interest but the headlines will read FREO PAY 2 FIRSTS
Yeah the two ways I'm giving a tick for actually being strong in negotiating is getting 21 back in anyway and/or keeping the middle pick

Those players exploded after the trade though.

You sre using hindsite.
Jeremy Cameron was already a star. He got multiple all australians, kicked 76 goals, 63, 53, multiples 40's at GWS.

His form has not improved since he went to Geelong.

Rankine average 13 possessions a game, and 1.6 goals, 1 goal assist at gold coast. He has had a small jump at the crows, but not much.

Changing subject.

He reminds me of Jamie Elliot, in that while he can crumb the ball, he also loves leading at the ball, and is handy 1v1. Is quick, has kicked 41 goals 23 behinds in 18 games.

Too confusing. AFL will block it.

Commentators can't even handle our players now when they all have distinct names. How do you think they'll go with 2 Matt Johnsons?

Changing subject.

Man. Watching Bolton highlights and then watching these ‘highlights’

It’s like shopping for a Bugatti and then checking out the Honda Civic sales.

You seem so deadset on finding a gem as opposed to just grabbing the gem laid on the table in front of us. Just pick it up and pay the cost. No need to go digging!

You had better hope Berry is the GOAT small forward with how much you love him haha

I have bounced between him and Kako a bit.

To me he just looks a very good player, who when he gets the ball makes it count either by kicking for a goal, or kicking to a team mate.

I am also on the Winder train, and now I have jumped on the Matt Johnson train.
I don't mind Joe Richards, and I am keen on Baker.

Don’t remember any Freo player ever showing the ball to the opposition, I could really get behind some of that arrogance. Haters are gonna hate him.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mate if he promised to do that Carlton in Freo colours.....I'd love him forever haha

Man. Watching Bolton highlights and then watching these ‘highlights’

It’s like shopping for a Bugatti and then checking out the Honda Civic sales.

You seem so deadset on finding a gem as opposed to just grabbing the gem laid on the table in front of us. Just pick it up and pay the cost. No need to go digging!

One costs a rookie spot, the other costs two first round picks.

You don't always want to pay million bucks, when a 50k car would do the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back