Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not that Richmond won't be keen to pay for some if we want, it's that the trade proposed was appropriate value without any money chucked in. Like, if you Bolton and Baker AND decent wages, it's all three firsts basically straight up

Maybe, if Freo say we can’t do the trade without it, and the Tigers are going full rebuild, I doubt the money would be an issue for them, especially for the first couple of years.

The only caveat would be if Richmond want to throw bucketloads of cash at a player to bring them in, they could use the draft picks and cap space to go for Harley Reid for example - but even then I think they would be able to carry a portion of the salaries.

The talk of players like Sturt being forced out to bring in Bolton is shocking.

The amount we pay for Bolton will be huge, and the amount we will get for Sturt and Switta will be tiny.

This would be back to the freo of old, where we over pay for 1 player and lose 2 or 3, and don't improve as a team.

Nobody thinks Sturt will be forced out if we sign Bolton, the fact that Sturt hasn't signed on (that we know of) is the reason people are saying he might go. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Maybe, if Freo say we can’t do the trade without it, and the Tigers are going full rebuild, I doubt the money would be an issue for them, especially for the first couple of years.

The only caveat would be if Richmond want to throw bucketloads of cash at a player to bring them in, they could use the draft picks and cap space to go for Harley Reid for example - but even then I think they would be able to carry a portion of the salaries.
There is definitely an interesting set of mind games that have been played. Again, I'll keep believing Rhino that it was Bolton coming to us, does that then give us negotiating power to be upfront with both him and Richmond saying "look, your/he's Shai Bolton, of course we'd like you to play for us but if Richmond are open to trading him, we literally cant do it without 300k per year chucked in. We're already committed to Warner as well."

I always take numbers with a grain of salt but there was an article saying he's owed 1.2m a year for the rest of the contract. We can not afford to pay him that much, surely.

Nobody thinks Sturt will be forced out if we sign Bolton, the fact that Sturt hasn't signed on (that we know of) is the reason people are saying he might go. The two have nothing to do with each other.
There's going to be best 22 players forced out if we somehow get Baker, Bolton and Warner over 2 years.

I do have concerns that if we bring Bolton in and lose Switta (our best pressure forward) that our shocking forward pressure will probably get even worse.

Emmett/Banfield are probably more appropriate Switta replacements on that front. Ewww

I do have concerns that if we bring Bolton in and lose Switta (our best pressure forward) that our shocking forward pressure will probably get even worse.

Emmett/Banfield are probably more appropriate Switta replacements on that front. Ewww
I wonder if the club banks on the preseason making Simpsons tackles / tank strong enough for AFL. His tackle numbers at Peel are pretty nutty.

There's going to be best 22 players forced out if we somehow get Baker, Bolton and Warner over 2 years.

Of course but I highly doubt we haven't offered Sturt a contract on the off chance we get Bolton. I mean it was pretty obvious we were going to go hard at McDonald until Treacy showed he could be a generational forward, the Bolton chat has really only started a month or so ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are worried for nothing, Sturt will re-sign.

"But he hasn't signed now!!!"

How do you know? Deal might already be done as far as we know.

Based on our history if Sturt leaves it's probably because we low-balled an offer to him and he went looking and found something elsewhere.
If they low ball Sturt, I have SERIOUS worries about whoever is looking after contracts.
After the Acres debacle you would think they would have learnt their lesson.

Of course but I highly doubt we haven't offered Sturt a contract on the off chance we get Bolton. I mean it was pretty obvious we were going to go hard at McDonald until Treacy showed he could be a generational forward, the Bolton chat has really only started a month or so ago.
Yeah, Bolton alone isnt breaking that cap back, doubt Bolton and Baker do either. Bolton, Baker AND Warner (over two years) do create some hard choices.

I wouldnt be surprised if
  • They salary dump Brodie somewhere. 400k saved is 400k saved.
  • Given the rumours, Switta is traded this year if Baker requests us as well.

They arent pushing Sturt though regardless right (unless they are beyond stupid) but yeah, you'd hope we dont lose him because other teams are offering money we cant get close to. Still bizarre we've heard NOTHING on a 2 goal a game out of contract forward

If Sturt was leaving he would have left at the end of 2022 when we belatedly offered him a 1 year deal in September after refusing to play him in the senior team all year. Everyone thought he was being delisted. His entire motivation for staying was to stick with Freo and prove that he could actually play at AFL level.

Since then, he's locked down a long term WA girlfriend and this year has for the first time in his career cemented a spot in the 22. He ain't leaving

People are worried for nothing, Sturt will re-sign.

"But he hasn't signed now!!!"

How do you know? Deal might already be done as far as we know.

Not sure a player out of contract (apparently) still yet to sign at round 24 is nothing to see here. You are right and a deal might have been done, seems odd that they wouldn't then just announce it. The club should be pushing any good news story out.

There is definitely an interesting set of mind games that have been played. Again, I'll keep believing Rhino that it was Bolton coming to us, does that then give us negotiating power to be upfront with both him and Richmond saying "look, your/he's Shai Bolton, of course we'd like you to play for us but if Richmond are open to trading him, we literally cant do it without 300k per year chucked in. We're already committed to Warner as well."

I always take numbers with a grain of salt but there was an article saying he's owed 1.2m a year for the rest of the contract. We can not afford to pay him that much, surely.

Richmond are going to struggle to hist the cap floor with all the outs. No doubt they'll a shedload of frontloading, but there's got to be scope there.

I also fully expect Botlon to get extended to 6 or 7 years when he moves so we can move the money around as required.

Dude read between the lines, we don't have time to pair those with more youngsters.

100% It is unusual to have 1 productive sub 23yo KPF, let alone 2 or even 3 if you count Jackson.

Let's not waste it by having draftees develop for 3 years before contributing if we have the option for top end talent now. It's fine as a backup if Bolton/Warner fall through.

If Sturt was leaving he would have left at the end of 2022 when we belatedly offered him a 1 year deal in September after refusing to play him in the senior team all year. Everyone thought he was being delisted. His entire motivation for staying was to stick with Freo and prove that he could actually play at AFL level.

Since then, he's locked down a long term WA girlfriend and this year has for the first time in his career cemented a spot in the 22. He ain't leaving

I mean I doubt he had too many teams banging on his door in 2022, he's shown he can be a high class AFL forward. Teams are throwing 4 year deals at a 25 year old 8 game player.

I don't tnink he will leave either but if he was a Pies player from WA with the same contract status we would all be thinking he was coming home.

I am going to start workshopping some Newscorp trade week Freo related headlines

"Richmond prepared to HOLD Bolton to contract after 'INSULTING' Fremantle offer"

"Fremantle LEGEND urges Richmond to DEMAND Freo STAR in any trade for Bolton" (the legend is Sumich)

"Tigers tell Freo it's FIVE first rounders or NO DEAL!!!"

"AFL great says 'NO ONE WANTS TO DEAL WITH THEM' after Freo begin negotiations"

I hear Kingy on SEN now: "Fremantle’s offer? A complete joke. Richmond’s laughing at the audacity—thinking they can snag Shai Bolton with peanuts. Five first-rounders or don’t even bother. Freo’s playing like amateurs, and if they don’t wise up, they’ll be the laughingstock of the AFL, left empty-handed while Bolton dominates in yellow and black. Richmond’s not here to play games—they know their worth, and they won’t be lowballed. Time for Fremantle to wake up or get left behind."

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back