Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the mandatory 3 picks taken in the draft still there?

It's not a mandatory 3 picks, it's a mandatory 3 delistings from the primary list. But all three can be filled with rookie upgrades meaning no picks at the draft. That's just very unlikely to happen.

Yes and no. You can upgrade a rookie in the place of a selection but that still means delisting/trading/retiring at least three players off the senior list.

We're actually running with one extra on our list this year due to Corbett being on the inactive list all season.

It's not a mandatory 3 picks, it's a mandatory 3 delistings from the primary list. But all three can be filled with rookie upgrades meaning no picks at the draft. That's just very unlikely to happen.
That'd be just about the dumbest thing we've ever done as a club imo.

That's really saying something too.

That'd be just about the dumbest thing we've ever done as a club imo.

That's really saying something too.

It would be mind blowing to see a club do that, choosing to pack their list with three rookie list selections the day after over picks in the top fifty at the draft.

Forgot about that rule. Others have chimed in.

Footywire draft summary has 4 clubs only taking 2 picks last year. GC took just 1 in 2023. Carlton took just 1 in 2022. That's for the main draft.

Are we upgrading Voss or Reidy with their new contracts?

Forgot about that rule. Others have chimed in.

Footywire draft summary has 4 clubs only taking 2 picks last year. GC took just 1 in 2023. Carlton took just 1 in 2022. That's for the main draft.

Are we upgrading Voss or Reidy with their new contracts?
We'll take three picks minimum as we always do. We have this conversation every year on here and the same thing happens.

I see no reason to upgrade either Reidy or Voss at this stage. Keeping players for all three years allowed (yes, I know the rules have changed a bit) is a really good list management strategy imo.

If we had a situation where we have three gun rookies all having just finished two years that's when I consider doing something a bit different - we upgraded Schultz a year early when Treacy and Banfield would've done their three years at the same time.

Personally I think we've got it pretty well spread out and we'd only be upgrading players if we don't want to take any more draft picks.

Imagine if Owies is Sturt's replacement...

Me.
Machine Gun GIF
On more money and costs more draft picks.

Are you sure? I think it's three selections from the draft. Covid had them allowing just one pick, but not sure if that was just a one off, going by Alfonz's post above, looks like that might've stuck around.

Maybe, if Freo say we can’t do the trade without it, and the Tigers are going full rebuild, I doubt the money would be an issue for them, especially for the first couple of years.

The only caveat would be if Richmond want to throw bucketloads of cash at a player to bring them in, they could use the draft picks and cap space to go for Harley Reid for example - but even then I think they would be able to carry a portion of the salaries.
Another option would be if someone like Brodie or Aish was included in the deal. Would give them 2 years to develop the draftees and give us the salary for Bolton.

WA

AFL
Why Shai Bolton’s uncle thinks his nephew is the missing piece for Fremantle
By Lachlan Geleit 4 hours ago

Shai Bolton’s uncle Allistair Pickett believes his nephew would be a perfect fit for Fremantle going forward.

Pickett, a two-time Sandover Medallist with Subiaco in the WAFL, was excited by reports of the Tiger’s reported trade request back home to WA this off-season and he thinks that he should pursue a move to the Dockers over the Eagles.

As Bolton’s father Darren played two games for Fremantle in 1999, Pickett thinks it’d be fitting if Shai also played for the club from the 2025 season and beyond.

“I’m related to Byron Pickett on one side and Shai Bolton is actually my nephew,” Pickett told SEN's Sportsday WA.

“He (Bolton) plays unbelievable football. I had the chance to play with his dad (Darren) who played a couple of games of Fremantle.

“So, I think it's only right that he goes to Freo. I think Fremantle would be a good fit for him…

“But it'd be good to see him come over (to Perth for either club) and play some really good footy.”

While Bolton won’t come cheaply given he’s contracted until the end of 2028 at Richmond on a deal worth north of $1 million a season, Pickett feels the 25-year-old could be the difference in helping the club achieve a maiden premiership.

Even if Bolton costs the Dockers a couple of first-round picks in a trade, Pickett thinks that he could turn into something truly special in purple.

“100 per cent (I think he could be the difference),” Pickett said.

“I think he's a new Cyril Rioli. I think he's something special. He just has that class in the forward line.

“I know (Michael) Walters is getting on … so Bolton going into that side next year would be a perfect fit for them.

“If they’re good enough to play finals next year, he might be the icing on the cake for them. I think that would change history forever for Fremantle supporters.”

Bolton has won two premierships, an All-Australian blazer and Mark of the Year honours across his 134 games for Richmond so far.

SENStadium 728x90

Fremantle
Richmond
More in AFL
AFL
The five teams under the most pressure heading into Round 24
Dwayne Russell's pressure meter.

By SEN an hour ago
AFL
Why Kinglsey is emphasising the importance of Giants-Bulldogs rivalry
The Giants can put a massive dent in the Bulldogs' finals hopes.

By SEN 2 hours ago
AFL
Predicting your club’s 2024 best and fairest top three - Richmond
Who takes it out for the Tigers?

By SEN 2 hours ago
Load more
Featured

AFL
Who will win and why? The tips and predictions for AFL Round 24
3 hours ago

AFL
Mitch Cleary’s trade update on Shiel, Baker, Barrass, Bailey Smith & more
9 hours ago

AFL
The five teams under the most pressure heading into Round 24
an hour ago

AFL
Sheezel and Daicos headline 22Under22 side for 2024
8 hours ago

Contact UsComplaintsCorporatePrivacy PolicyTerms & Conditions
© 2024, SEN All Rights Reserved
Digital Agency - VERSA

I will seriously lose my shit if we let Sturt go. Guys had 4 years of misery, is finally showing his potential to be a very handy medium. He’s always had the ability to hit the scoreboard from limited opportunities but he’s now presuming well, linking up and providing score assists.
Just get it done. Deserves a couple of years on decent coin. Don’t cheap out & lose him for the love of God.
As far as I can remember he's never done a full preseason due to injuries. I'll loose my shit too if he's let go. He still has a ton of improvement in him.

Last edited:
Losing Sturt and Switta while gaining Bolton wouldn't really be a huge positive for me. Bolton over one makes us better but having to play Bolton plus I dunno, Aish or JOM on a forward flank would not do it for me.

That said, one or both rumours are at least 50/50 to be total horseshit. So fingers crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Sturt and Switta while gaining Bolton wouldn't really be a huge positive for me. Bolton over one makes us better but having to play Bolton plus I dunno, Aish or JOM on a forward flank would not do it for me.

That said, one or both rumours are at least 50/50 to be total horseshit. So fingers crossed.
Put with a couple of Vicks and picks…
In with a couple of WA boys ….Yeeeww

Switkowski posting a picture on socials of him in the purple.. just a coincidence or impeccable timing

more books fewer receptions Boutros-Boutros

There's some connection with Baker and Schofield, so the WC coaching appointment might sway him too. Schofield took him from West Perth after he missed the 2016 draft and played him in Subiaco's league side before Richmond picked him up a rookie in 2017.

Switkowski posting a picture on socials of him in the purple.. just a coincidence or impeccable timing

more books fewer receptions Boutros-Boutros
I cant see Switta leaving this year even if he does have plans to go back to Victoria. With two years left on his contract he'll only leave if we get a great deal. Unfortunately the same applies to Bolton so it will take a big offer to get him to Freo.

Don’t get the hype for Baker tbh.

I'm a bit the same. He will be an upgrade on what we have but not so much of an upgrade to be worth what has been floated about or to make me annoyed he will end up at the other mob.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back