Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how splitting the trades isn't seen to be fair? They are two different players with vastly different valuations and Walls' job is to extract maximum value for our club. I'd argue that that can only happen in this situation if the trades are split.

Well it’s about our assets.

If they value Bolton at more or less than what we have and they value Baker at more or less than what we have we can perhaps balance it out.

Just purely hypothetical. Say they value Bolton at 10 and 20 and Baker at 15 (I’m not suggesting that’s their worth)

We could do ~9, ~17 and ~26

To do separate. For Bolton 9 and 26 may be a smidge short. 9 and 17 is overs. For Baker ~17 may be right but means we can’t give enough for Bolton etc.

I know it can all be balanced with later pick swaps and futures etc.

I just think it can be a package and could probably make sense in this example. Not saying it will be.

If they’re considering Martin then Sturt is gone.

There’s no way we play Martin with Sturt available

Offer Sturt 100k more, surely that is the answer.

****, add 2 years to the offer. If the answer is Martin, then you are asking the wrong question.

If they’re considering Martin then Sturt is gone.

There’s no way we play Martin with Sturt available

Was about to write this. Theres no way we can consider Martin otherwise. He’d be a similar type to Sturt and this would be Freo covering that position with a medium forward.

Hard pass for mine, but I’d imagine it’s also ‘insurance’ for Sturt possibly leaving.

Yuck!

JFC. Does Merriman want a project or something?

Martin games played for the last 7 years (oldest first).

In the last 3 seasons, he's played 6 more games than Mundy and he's been retired for 2 of those.
You got to put the Carlton tax into account I reckon their fans do hamstrings walking to work it’s seeped into the club

If we get Martin we just need to sign Brad Crouch and we will have collected the whole set of mini draft picks

Maybe, but here it is in chart form. I see a trend.

View attachment 2088284
Sesame Street Idk GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get Martin we just need to sign Brad Crouch and we will have collected the whole set of mini draft picks
What is this mini draft you speak of?

Before GC and GWS started in the comp, they each had two mini draft picks (2 best 17 year olds), to trade to other clubs.

They were 17 year old. From memory they were Hogan, Bennell, O'Meara and Martin.

We are only 1 short from completing the set.

Actually, Brad Crouch was a mini draft pick, so Bennell must have not been (2nd pick in 2010).

When GWS came into the competition the AFL let them sell two picks each of 2011 and 2012 to access players who weren't yet old enough to qualify for that current draft.

Jaeger O'Meara and Brad Crouch were 2011
Jack Martin and Jesse Hogan were 2012

Gold Coast traded pick #4 and a first round compensation pick for Mini draft pick #1 in 2011 and pick #31
Adelaide traded pick #10 and a first round compensation pick for mini draft pick #2 in 2011 and Luke Brown

Gold Coast traded pick #2, end of first round compensation pick and #67 for mini draft pick #1 in 2012 and end of first round compensation pick

Melbourne traded pick #3 and #14 for mini draft pick #2 in 2012 and pick #20

This off season will either push us into the top 4, or stuff up our rebuild.

So many moving pieces, we need to get the decisions right.

Nah, as dire as swapping Sturt for Martin would be, after the Pies off-seasons leading up to 2023, they've demonstrated it is basically impossible to take yourself out of contention with a single bad off-season.

So Gold Coast paid GWS four first round picks including #2 and #4 for Jack Martin, Jaeger O'Meara and an end of first round pick.

Ouch.

When GWS came into the competition the AFL let them sell two picks each of 2011 and 2012 to access players who weren't yet old enough to qualify for that current draft.

Jaeger O'Meara and Brad Crouch were 2011
Jack Martin and Jesse Hogan were 2012

Gold Coast traded pick #4 and a first round compensation pick for Mini draft pick #1 in 2011 and pick #31
Adelaide traded pick #10 and a first round compensation pick for mini draft pick #2 in 2011 and Luke Brown

Gold Coast traded pick #2, end of first round compensation pick and #67 for mini draft pick #1 in 2012 and end of first round compensation pick

Melbourne traded pick #3 and #14 for mini draft pick #2 in 2012 and pick #20
Fascinating. Thanks for the explanation.

So is this what will happen when Tassie enters the comp? Do we know how they will build a list yet? I just assumed they would be getting the first ten picks in the draft, and unlimited cap to lure in some experienced players.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back