Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It may simply be that we don't have the money to match the offer(s) Sturt is getting from Victoria.

My back of the envelope calculations has a guess of 9.3 million for our top 13 ... 800k per Darcy-Jackson-Serong-Young-Cox-Brayshaw, 800k for Bolton (Richmond pay 400k), 1.2 million for Chad, 500k per Pearce-Clark-Ryan-Amiss-Treacy. Do people think this is too high/low/fair? I think I have been conservative, for example Treacy could be commanding way more than 500k. Obviously there is back/front loading, bonuses, smooth Bolton out over more years, etc. But ignoring that for simplicity.

That leaves 9 million for the 2026 salary cap to pay the other 31 players (290k per player) that could be on our list. We can clean out Fyfe, Walters, JOM, Aish, Brodie. There will be a bunch on minimum/rookie wages to increase the average available for the rest. Put greenhorns on 150k and fringe players like Banfield on 200-250k and we can squeeze out 400-500k type contracts for the solid best 22 players. But it is tight. If someone is offering big years and money for Sturt, we might not be able to match it.

I'm ignoring the "marketing" allowance that is in the CBA ... total (not p.a.) 1.3 million per club to 2027.

I'm prepared that Bolton is done for 9+10 and nothing coming back except salary and maybe late junk picks. I hope we get a better deal, but it is doing my head in reading people melt about paying overs for him in draft picks while completely ignoring our salary cap situation. I think we need to put Baker in the bin as well.

It may simply be that we don't have the money to match the offer(s) Sturt is getting from Victoria.

I think if this is the situation, then simply you say no to Bolton.

Does Bolton in, and Sturt out move the needle that much. I don't think so.

I mean, it does, Bolton is a vastly superior player, even Sturts dad Spirit Level will admit that. It shouldnt cost Sturt though when we are re-signing inferior players that are easier to replace such as Wagner and Banfield.

Does an all Australian premiership player who’s 25 for an inconsistent 4th fwd that sometimes shows up move the needle? This is another case of over rating what we have and undervaluing the opposition

Well statistically Sturt kicks slightly more goals per game with a significantly better accuracy. However that’s about it from their career stats.

Bolton gets more disposals, marks (contested or otherwise), tackles and score involvements. Now obviously Sturt is younger so he has plenty of time to draw even but it’s a big gamble

Bolton is a lock. Tigers know Bolton will ask again next year and there's no guarantee Freo will have the same currency to get a deal done next year.

Bolton is a gun. Pound for pound he'd be our best forward next year.

I mean, it does, Bolton is a vastly superior player, even Sturts dad Spirit Level will admit that. It shouldnt cost Sturt though when we are re-signing inferior players that are easier to replace such as Wagner and Banfield.

Pick 10, pick 16, Sturt, 800k in salary cap space or Bolton.

Agree than Sturt should not be the casualty of bring Bolton in, especially when we just signed on Reidy and Banners.

The Pies' poor off seasons leading to 2023 showed that there's much more wiggle room for a big Vic club.

Smaller interstate clubs need to get everything right to win a premiership. Fewer free agents and father sons to bail us out.

Our list is far better balanced than theirs was and it's also far younger. We'd never win from here with the same squad, but I think ours will be a lot better at its peak.

I am trying to be glass half full, but with so many moving pieces I just feel this off season will either set up our dynasty or could stuff it up.

Lot's of potential ins, a lot of draft picks, and hopefully not too many best 22 leaving.

I'll be filthy is Sturt leaves and upset if Switta does, but they are not dynasty altering players. We've signed all of those players except Andy, who'll do it at christmas like Serong did.

Sturt after more 💰
war football GIF

Realistically our best fwd line next year could be
Swit amiss Bolton
Sturt Treacy Jackson (Martin on bench if we get him if not freddy if we do Freddy to the wing)
Getting me excited thinking about next year

Agree than Sturt should not be the casualty of bring Bolton in, especially when we just signed on Reidy and Banners.

We won't lose Sturt due to getting in Bolton, the two aren't related. We would have had a deal in front of Sturt for most of this year, if he's found something better it's not due to Bolton possibly coming in.

We won't lose Sturt due to getting in Bolton, the two aren't related. We would have had a deal in front of Sturt for most of this year, if he's found something better it's not due to Bolton possibly coming in.
It is, if we can't offer him any more money because we don't have the salary cap space.

I'll believe Reidy when I see it to be honest and your first line is disingenuous and not what we were talking about. Bolton does move the needle over Sturt but it shouldnt involve losing Sturt. Bolton over Banfield REALLY moves the needle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is, if we can't offer him any more money because we don't have the salary cap space.

We haven't signed Bolton yet, the money for Sturt isn't being held back on the chance we trade in Bolton who really only became an option a few months ago at most. You might want to link them to bolster your anti-Bolton stance but they aren't linked.

Fascinating. Thanks for the explanation.

So is this what will happen when Tassie enters the comp? Do we know how they will build a list yet? I just assumed they would be getting the first ten picks in the draft, and unlimited cap to lure in some experienced players.

I expect they will get to add players born within a few month range before the draft begins, get a sprinkling of first round picks and then two years of those mini drafts.

As well as the ability to sign any out of contract player as a free agent, maybe one per club this way.

There's also talk of any player to ever come out of Tasmania qualifying as a father for their sons to be taken as father son picks by Tasmania.

We haven't signed Bolton yet, the money for Sturt isn't being held back on the chance we trade in Bolton who really only became an option a few months ago at most. You might want to link them to bolster your anti-Bolton stance but they aren't linked.
We've been linked to McDonald, Baker, Warner, Bolton. I'd say there's every chance Sturt can attract a decent offer from the east coast and we're not sure how far we want to stretch pending other targets?

Re: Jack Martin: The club is likely looking at him for depth only. We are losing Corbett and Tabs this year which means our forward depth is going to be very shallow.

We've been linked to McDonald, Baker, Warner, Bolton. I'd say there's every chance Sturt can attract a decent offer from the east coast and we're not sure how far we want to stretch pending other targets?
If Sturt has gone out and received an offer that we can't match then it would be one hell of an offer. More likely a club has offered long term security in a 4-5 year deal, nobody is paying him what it would take for us not to be able to at least match.

If Sturt has gone out and received an offer that we can't match then it would be one hell of an offer. More likely a club has offered long term security in a 4-5 year deal, nobody is paying him what it would take for us not to be able to at least match.
They're still related though.

If we've got no forward targets on the horizon our interest in bridging the gap between our offer and rival offer increases. If we've got multiple targets and cap space gets tight then we draw the line somewhere.

Bolton is a lock. Tigers know Bolton will ask again next year and there's no guarantee Freo will have the same currency to get a deal done next year.

Bolton is a gun. Pound for pound he'd be our best forward next year.
Bolton won’t be in the conversation at Freo after this trade period if a deal isn’t worked out. I’m not keen on Bolton with that massive contract. Kosi Pickett would cost far less. 350-400k less

while its a bit concerning sturt has yet to be re-signed weve not seen any indication that other clubs are looking at him, unless ive missed something? which youd think would be the case for an out of contract, vic player who has been putting up good numbers this season. probably just backing himself in for a better $?

wouldnt mind the martin pick up if were confident we can get him fit, would be much better depth to bring in on occassion then walters/banfield imo and should be very cheap

Bolton doesn't move the needle? You mean the Bolton that is close to the best performed player in the whole competition at our home ground over the last 4 years? I've presented the stats twice and you simply ignore them.

You're talking about not moving the needle, yet advocating to bring in B/C graders like Baker, Owies and god knows who else. Richards? It doesn't make any sense. Bringing in multiple moneyballers on 400-600k each is going to lose Sturt as much as bringing in Bolton on the 800k that we might be paying.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back