Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people just want to find the dark side of the story, but if Sturt does want to leave then his last two seasons have done wonders for his value in trade compared to the basically no games for four seasons prior.
hope we ask for a first rounder, and just say that we’ll let the tigers take him in the psd if not.

(If it’s not the tigers that have turned his head, then we’re screwed).

I’ll be disappointed if he goes, but if the club isn’t willing to match, there must be doubt on durability.

maybe Sturt's (or Freo is) waiting to see who is coming to Freo. We are looking at one or two players who will sit in that HF area and if Bolton and Warner/small forward came in, depending on what else happens, could force him out or reduce his deal, so kind of makes sense. We've just given BB 3 years so him and Freddie look locked in. Not sure what is happening with Swit but Simpson is probably not far off too.

btw, I highly rate Sturt and always have and prefer he stays. He is the Gunston/Bruest type that is a great lead and accurate finisher that top teams need when their talls are being well held.

Bolton doesn't move the needle? You mean the Bolton that is close to the best performed player in the whole competition at our home ground over the last 4 years? I've presented the stats twice and you simply ignore them.

You're talking about not moving the needle, yet advocating to bring in B/C graders like Baker, Owies and god knows who else. Richards? It doesn't make any sense. Bringing in multiple moneyballers on 400-600k each is going to lose Sturt as much as bringing in Bolton on the 800k that we might be paying.

Bolton is on 1.2 million.
Bolton plus 2 other players on min salary is 1.5 million.
If you sign Bolton, Banfield plays most weeks and at best you have 1 first round pick.

Other option is Sturt - 500k, Baker - 600k, and someone like Richards - 400k.
If you don't, you go to the draft with 3 first rounds picks.

Who cares if Bolton turns up when he comes to WA, in the 5 or 6 games he has played. I don't think it improves our 22, if Sturt and other players are pushed out especially as it costs you multiple first round picks.

Did anyone consider that Sturt may want to go back home and that's why he has not signed?

And anybody saying that Bolton IN and Sturt OUT is a dead rubber has rocks in their head.
You'd think if the go-home factor was powerful, he would've been talked about more on Gettable when they mention all these players that could be on the trade block (I think there's been 30, 35 and 40 player bonanzas or something like that). Neither him nor any Freo players at all get mentioned on that.

It'd seem more likely that, if he's leaving, either we're not offering him enough or someone else is offering him too much (depending on your perspective).

Fascinating. Thanks for the explanation.

So is this what will happen when Tassie enters the comp? Do we know how they will build a list yet? I just assumed they would be getting the first ten picks in the draft, and unlimited cap to lure in some experienced players.

The AFL has said nothing about how they're setting up Tasmania from a draft pick/concession perspective.

I'm really interested in how it'll work - Free agency, the Mid Season Draft and three year contracts for top 20 picks are three changes to the AFL's overall list management rules that didn't exist when Gold Coast and GWS were set up. Them existing now means the system to set the new team up would be very different even if the AFL wanted them set up as close to Gold Coast and GWS as possible (and they've given indication it'll be different).

If Sturt does leave, none of you F&^%ers can boo him, cos if you do I will come around and punch each and every one of you in the dick or vag.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Bolton won’t be in the conversation at Freo after this trade period if a deal isn’t worked out. I’m not keen on Bolton with that massive contract. Kosi Pickett would cost far less. 350-400k less

Demons think they are still in the window. No chance they trade Kozzie etc... while they have that mindset.

As for Sturt and $$$. I think the sticking point is around contract length. Sturt wants a deal that takes him to FA where he will be an UFA. The club was likely hoping to get him to sign a similar deal to Banfield.

It probably ends up being a 3x550k deal with performance triggers that could push him over 600k.

I am not sure the mods are ready either.
as someone that has been beating the sturt drums for a good 4 years at least I will be in the trenches venting myself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolton is on 1.2 million.
Bolton plus 2 other players on min salary is 1.5 million.
If you sign Bolton, Banfield plays most weeks and at best you have 1 first round pick.

Other option is Sturt - 500k, Baker - 600k, and someone like Richards - 400k.
If you don't, you go to the draft with 3 first rounds picks.

Who cares if Bolton turns up when he comes to WA, in the 5 or 6 games he has played. I don't think it improves our 22, if Sturt and other players are pushed out especially as it costs you multiple first round picks.

How many times does it need to be spelled out to you that we will not be paying the 1.2 million. We can't. We will be buying 400k p.a (or whatever number ... something significant) by giving Richmond an extra 1st rounder to what Bolton would cost in a normal trade.

You've just given 1.5 million to Sturt + Baker + Richards. Good lord. I will give that 1.5 million to Sturt + Bolton + Mr Nobody. Mr Nobody will be in the 2's, just where Richards would be. So my side has Sturt + Bolton, and your side is far worse with Sturt + Baker.

Who cares if Bolton has turned up and dominated 7 out of the last 8 games he has played at our home ground? I think a few people would care.

I think if this is the situation, then simply you say no to Bolton.

Does Bolton in, and Sturt out move the needle that much. I don't think so.

How often is Bolton among the best 5 players on the ground? About once a month? I'd say Sturt has never been in the 5 best players on the ground, possibly his debut game being the exception.

hope we ask for a first rounder, and just say that we’ll let the tigers take him in the psd if not.

(If it’s not the tigers that have turned his head, then we’re screwed).

I’ll be disappointed if he goes, but if the club isn’t willing to match, there must be doubt on durability.

Some times the money just doesn't make sense to match. I love Griffin Logue, but to match his offer would have made him our highest paid defender so was a good business decision to trade him.

How many times does it need to be spelled out to you that we will not be paying the 1.2 million. We can't. We will be buying 400k p.a (or whatever number ... something significant) by giving Richmond an extra 1st rounder to what Bolton would cost in a normal trade.

You've just given 1.5 million to Sturt + Baker + Richards. Good lord. I will give that 1.5 million to Sturt + Bolton + Mr Nobody. Mr Nobody will be in the 2's, just where Richards would be. So my side has Sturt + Bolton, and your side is far worse with Sturt + Baker.

Who cares if Bolton has turned up and dominated 7 out of the last 8 games he has played at our home ground? I think a few people would care.

As soon as we get one injury, you have Banfield playing, then Dealan.

My team has Richards, 3 first round picks, then Banfield.
These players will go past some of the best 22, improving the overall squad, increasing competition and leading to long term success.

This is why I believe we are better to pass on Bolton. Understand, not everyone agrees.

Demons think they are still in the window. No chance they trade Kozzie etc... while they have that mindset.

As for Sturt and $$$. I think the sticking point is around contract length. Sturt wants a deal that takes him to FA where he will be an UFA. The club was likely hoping to get him to sign a similar deal to Banfield.

It probably ends up being a 3x550k deal with performance triggers that could push him over 600k.

That's a lot of years and dollars for a fringe player?

Depending on trade week we could see in 2025 -
HF - Baker Treacy Frederick
FF - Bolton Amiss Jackson

With Banfield, Switkowski, Simpson, Walters and Sturt fighting for that 7th spot on the bench.

I keep flip-flopping on Sturt.

On the one hand, I really like what he adds to the side and his endeavour and contest work have increased dramatically this season. But then people keep on comparing him to players who I primarily associate with the 2013 Hawthorn side.

I mean, it's not as bad as saying he's like Gaff or Worsfold, but it doesn't quite have the persuasive effect that people seem to think it does.

As soon as we get one injury, you have Banfield playing, then Dealan.

My team has Richards, 3 first round picks, then Banfield.
These players will go past some of the best 22, improving the overall squad, increasing competition and leading to long term success.

This is why I believe we are better to pass on Bolton. Understand, not everyone agrees.

We aren't winning a flag in 25/26/27 with your team but we could with Bolton.

Sorry, that should read. We are a small chance to win a flag with your team in 25/26/27 but a far far greater chance with Bolton.

I keep flip-flopping on Sturt.

On the one hand, I really like what he adds to the side and his endeavour and contest work have increased dramatically this season. But then people keep on comparing him to players who I primarily associate with the 2013 Hawthorn side.

I mean, it's not as bad as saying he's like Gaff or Worsfold, but it doesn't quite have the persuasive effect that people seem to think it does.
He’s our Fritch from the dees, that’s the player I think he most resembles in the way he plays, although this year Sturt is actually applying more pressure than the Dees version.

We aren't winning a flag in 25/26/27 with your team but we could with Bolton.

Sorry, that should read. We are a small chance to win a flag with your team in 25/26/27 but a far far greater chance with Bolton.

Maybe the question should be is when are we aiming to win a flag ? What is realistic?

Most of the A graders are under 25. I think we are 2 years away from the window, with or with out Bolton.

I think most GF teams have the core of the team between 26 and 30.

It is only really Pearce (29), Ryan (28) and Cox (26 ) that are a bit older. (Ignoring JOM, Fyfe and Walters who are borderline best 22 next year)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back