Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You need to unfollow whatever Freo FB group you’re apart of. This is way way way off the mark
Info wasn't from Facebook it was from a work colleague I see once a week. I'll clarify the next time I see them which will be in a week. What was said was to do with how the extended family was interstate and the parents spent more time in Melbourne than Perth. I'll get back to you and say I misinterpreted what was siad if that was the case, No problems saying Im wrong as I'll gladly be wrong if Warner ends upplaying at Freo.

Warner has been absolutely blanketed this game. Great offensive player but not great at winning his own ball and imposing himself on the contest. It will hold him back from being a top 10 player. Young on the other hand...
Then goes beast mode.
They will fall short of a GF because of their forwardline, they don't have a no.1 key forward. If they can use our picks to get one they might consider it.
One of the kings may be available.

O'Driscoll misses almost all the year with injury and then is best when coming onto the field late in the game or early in the game....

Sounds like someone needs to actually have a preseason so they can impact longer in games.

Great potential there. Would be a great steal for another club to poach him.
Straightout Moneyball!

I don't think the answer to getting us that one step closer is to take bulk steps backwards dropping the players we needed to already take that step.
We are probably seeing the upsides and downsides of the current list mgmt strategy which revolves around locking in long-term players that we have a decent amount of belief in.

On one hand, these moves are likely contributing to us having more cap room than we should considering some of the players we have. From Darcy's and Cox's long-term contracts to the JOM trade with Hawks paying a chunk of salary. We may not love those moves, but those moves play a part in us being able to look at all these players. In all fairness, the other part of it is that a lot of the best players are yet to sign their post-free agency qualifying contracts.

On the other, within that group you probably create a fair amount of inflexibility. If the players don't prove worth the deals they're given, you're kinda screwed. Darcy and Cox you have the injuries. Fyfe and Walters probably got given a year too much (don't think it's as big a problem as others are suggesting). Brodie needs shipping off. JOM is ok to decent at most things, but as soon as he lost his place as an inside mid (the right decision), his usefulness has waned. Still fine as a squad player on the fringes of your best 22, but can't be in the leadership group next season.

Wait, is this poll on which player we want to join Freo? Baker over Kozzie? You guys ok?
When the poll started I reckon it was Baker v McDonald and maybe Curnow for lols

a lot of Baker's votes would be from then

also Kozzy has more votes anyway, he is just included with Bolton (who is like 99% coming)

Then goes beast mode.

One of the kings may be available.
Would a King actually want to move to Sydney? all the talk when GC drafted theirs was he’d be home in Melbourne at the end of his first contract.

Edit: but yes, if they think their forward line is the weakest link, they’d need more draft capital than they currently have to bring in a contracted King.

He doesn’t look like a guy who’s ready to leave the Swans yet.
I don't think the way he's playing tells you anything. It would be the same if Andy was going to leave. You'd never know it from the on-field stuff. They are both unconditional with effort.

Herald Sun with the AFL Rich 100 today - just to aid with salary cap debates.

Darcy, Cox, Young, Ryan - $700-800k.
Jackson, Serong, Brayshaw - $800-900k.
Shai Bolton - $1 - 1.1mil, up to $1.2mil with triggers/bonuses.

For lols - Tom Lynch - $1.45-1.55mil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch was a back ended deal. Well worth the cash.

This is all true.

I remember raising this on here a few months back. Everyone on here assured me he would sign for less $$ than he might be worth because he “loves the club”.

I guess we’ll find out soon.

For what it’s worth I don’t believe we should be paying AB any more than $1.1m a season maximum.

Also can you even begin to imagine what Caleb Serong will be offered in 2 years time before he comes OOC in end of 2027?!
It could easily be $2m a season by then from some smaller cashed up Vic clubs! 🤯

Last edited:
This is all true.

I remember raising this on here a few months back. Everyone on here assured me he would sign for less $$ than he might be worth because he “loves the club”.

I guess we’ll find out soon.

For what it’s worth I don’t believe we should be paying AB any more than $1.1m a season maximum.
He's worth more than Bolton.

Assuming that’s this year’s salary. When do the Amiss and Treacy new contracts come into play?

He's worth more than Bolton.
Would probably agree, though Bolton is on $1m according to the herald sun which seems about right and I doubt he’ll be paid much more to come across to us as he’s driving the trade himself for family reasons.

Haselbys point is that there are probably 4 or 5 players worth more than AB on the list longer term.
Serong
Young
Treacy

Then potentially Warner if he comes in.
Not so sure I agree with Hase on Pearce. He’s 30 next year and I reckon if he got a 2 year deal to take him from 31-33 yo, it need not be huge money. World argue Jordan Clark is worth more than Pearce and Luke Ryan too as a dual AA player.

If Amiss cuts lose and kicks 60 a season in the next couple of years he becomes a player that attracts massive offers too.

Jackson and Darcy and cox all getting $800 plus a season and not delivering are bigger concerns.

I think we will have to pay handsomely to keep Andy. Not buying this theory at all that he’s going to turn down millions of extra $$ over the life of a 6 or 7 year deal he will sign from free agency onwards, to take less and stay with us.

Several trade podcasts have covered this recently and it’s one of the bigger myths in the game that players in the likes of Geelong take massive pay cuts to stay there because “the just love the club and want to win a flag”.
It might be 40-50k per year less, not $350k per year less.

Anyway every club with good young players has a cap squeeze and we are no different.

Isn’t that the whole point of offering extra picks to get Boltons salary down to that 800K mark our other good players are on?
If those salary figures are to be believed, that strategy makes a hell of a lot of sense.
I can't wait to have Bolton, it will be brilliant, but no way should he be our highest paid player

Number of players per club on the rich list:

GWS - 8 (Whitfield, Coniglio, Haynes, Greene, Taylor, Himmelberg, Kelly, Green)
Melbourne - 8 (Petracca, Oliver, Gawn, Lever, Viney, May, Pickett, Brayshaw)
Bulldogs - 7 (Bont, Naughton, Treloar, English, Daniel, Macrae, Dale)
Freo - 7 (Brayshaw, Serong, Jackson, Ryan, Young, Cox, Darcy)
Essendon (hilarious) - 7 (McKay, Merrett, Redman, Shiel, Parish, Wright, Gresham)
Carlton - 7 (Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, Walsh, McKay, Williams, De Koning)
West Coast - 7 (Kelly, Allen, Yeo, Barrass, Gaff, Darling, McGovern)
Collingwood - 6 (Moore, Daicos, De Goey, Daicos, Maynard, Crisp)
Gold Coast - 6 (King, Anderson, Lukosius, Miller, Rowell, Witts)
St Kilda - 6 (Steele, Hill, King, Sinclair, Wilkie, Marshall)
Richmond - 6 (Lynch, Martin, Bolton, Taranto, Hopper, Vlaustin)
Sydney - 5 (Grundy, Heeney, Mills, Parker, McCartin)
Brisbane - 5 (Neale, Cameron, Daniher, Andrews, McCluggage)
North - 4 (Larkey, Simpkin, Logue, LDU)
Port - 3 (Rozee, Wines, Butters)
Adelaide - 3 (Rankine, Laird, Dawson)
Geelong - 3 (Cameron, Stewart, Dangerfield)
Hawthorn - 2 (Sicily, Amon)

This supports what I have been saying about our salary cap being so tight because we are at breaking point for fitting in highly paid players. There's names that will be dropping off this list like Haynes, Brayshaw, Macrae, Shiel, Williams, many WC players. While we are only trying to add with Bolton, Pickett, Warner, maybe Treacy's new contract?

What struck me about the weekend was how even the winning teams were across the park. No passengers. Its the bottom 6 which often let you down in finals. I'm a little worried how we make this bottom 6 good enough when the top 10 is eating so much of the salary cap. GWS probably should have won, but the matches were won by teams in the bottom end when it comes to highly paid players.

It's conceivable the GF could be played between the bottom 2 sides on the list above. And Dangerfield and Amon are at 95 and 96 on the list.

Would probably agree, though Bolton is on $1m according to the herald sun which seems about right and I doubt he’ll be paid much more to come across to us as he’s driving the trade himself for family reasons.

Haselbys point is that there are probably 4 or 5 players worth more than AB on the list longer term.
Serong
Young
Treacy

Then potentially Warner if he comes in.
Not so sure I agree with Hase on Pearce. He’s 30 next year and I reckon if he got a 2 year deal to take him from 31-33 yo, it need not be huge money. World argue Jordan Clark is worth more than Pearce and Luke Ryan too as a dual AA player.

If Amiss cuts lose and kicks 60 a season in the next couple of years he becomes a player that attracts massive offers too.

Jackson and Darcy and cox all getting $800 plus a season and not delivering are bigger concerns.

I think we will have to pay handsomely to keep Andy. Not buying this theory at all that he’s going to turn down millions of extra $$ over the life of a 6 or 7 year deal he will sign from free agency onwards, to take less and stay with us.

Several trade podcasts have covered this recently and it’s one of the bigger myths in the game that players in the likes of Geelong take massive pay cuts to stay there because “the just love the club and want to win a flag”.
It might be 40-50k per year less, not $350k per year less.

Anyway every club with good young players has a cap squeeze and we are no different.
Agree with this. I do suspect that the lure of an inaugural Premiership is big for some of the players (I'd put Serong here for sure, possibly AB), and I wouldn't put it past them forgoing some good money ($100k-$150 p/a) to make that happen, plus the security of a longer deal of course - AB in particular would benefit if made Captain and this happened, off-field earnings would skyrocket.

Will be interesting to see how we handle this; ideally you set up a conveyor belt of development talent and walk out a star/good player every 2-3 years for picks to keep it going. Hard to do in the West though.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s all a guessing game isn’t it.

But also Darcy on 700k is a lot differnt story to Darcy on $1mil.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back