• Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have been subbed out for a more dynamic player. That was a major fumble
Another definite black mark against jlo(along with poor starts) that he continues to not get right more often than not

In fact it’s almost an after thought for bloke - pick the best 22 then whoever’s unlucky to miss out gets the gig rather than who would have the best impact as sub- they are not always the same player!

I'll add to what I said about NODs latest few games in the WAFL thread by pointing out although he has shown some more than useful attacking abilities getting a run on ball (I.e. being able to replicate his burst straight line carry), he's never going to be an FT AFL inside mid: No where near good enough. That means his career stands or falls on what he can do as a winger or hhf.
The only other thing I'll add is that, in my observation, when a player who is not a pure inside mid at AFL level gets moved there at WAFL level it's usually a sign they're being given a chance to shine.

Now in Dris's case I'm not saying he's in completely the same boat as players like Michie or De Luca, but it's not like he has demonstrated he is a bona fide AFL winger. He may well become one but it think there is at least equally good chance he doesn't. It would be irresponsible list management to him to be given 3 years just to retain him, particularly when we are going to likely need every spare dollar in the cap.

Last edited:

Any update on malcolm rosas jnr or Riley Garcia going to Freo?
I don't think we've really been linked to any of them have we? List spots are an issue and i think the plan seems to be Martin for free, Bolton and then throw the sink at Warner / Pickett. Not sure we'll have room for anyone else

I'll add to what I said about NODs latest few games in the WAFL thread by pointing out although he has shown some more than useful attacking abilities getting a run on ball (I.e. being able to replicate his burst straight line carry), he's never going to be an FT AFL inside mid: No where near good enough. That means his career stands or falls on what he can do as a winger or hhf.
The only other thing I'll add is that, in my observation, when a player who is not a pure inside mid at AFL level gets moved there at WAFL level it's usually a sign they're being given a chance to shine.

Now in Dris's case I'm not saying he's in completely the same boat as players like Michie or De Luca, but it's not like he has demonstrated he is a bona fide AFL winger. He may well become one but it think there is at least equally good chance he doesn't. It would be irresponsible list management to him to be given 3 years just to retain him, particularly when we are going to likely need every spare dollar in the cap.
I agree, I want to keep NOD but he’s played 2 games this year after 10 uninspiring ones in 2023. His 2 games looked good but it would be like giving Emmett a 3-4 year deal on the back of his two games last year. It’s just not responsible list management.

I don't think we've really been linked to any of them have we? List spots are an issue and i think the plan seems to be Martin for free, Bolton and then throw the sink at Warner / Pickett. Not sure we'll have room for anyone else
Have heard freo are in for Riley Garcia

I don't understand the list spots issue. freo will find a way to make more if needed. still, plenty of players without contracts.

Tab's
Hughes
Emmett
Corbert
Knoble
NOD
all on primary list out of contract

Last edited:
Against Geelong? He played on. He stepped up then. Sure, it was 99.9% the wrong decision, but as a leader he seized that opportunity. Hacked kicked the ball forward to an out numbered 3v1.

Oh… you meant in a good way? Yeah, I have nothing.
That was a horrible moment. Hard to forgive that from a senior player.

Have heard freo ae in for Riley Garcia

i don't understand the list spots issue. freo will find a way to make more if needed. still, plenty of players without contracts

It is hard to make list space, with out using up cash. (Paying out contracts)
You can't just delist players who have a contract for next year.

Cutting all these players leaves us 7 spots. 1 for Bolton, so 6 on the draft. Assuming Reidy and Knobel both stay

Ethan Hughes
Tom Emmett
Josh Corbett - spot already used by voss.
Matt Taberner
Odin Jones
NoD (Hopefully not)
Sebit Kuek
Ethan Stanley

If you add Martin, it only leaves 5 for the draft.
If you assume Bolton is 10, and 25, then you need to use 9 and 15 in the draft.
If NoD gets us a late 2nd, early 3rd you want to use that as well.

Now you have two spots to play with. You need to make a call if you are better of getting Garcia or ...., or target mature age players through draft, or drafting a 18 year old with your last 2 spots.

If we keep one of people above, then we only have spare spot on our list.

Wouldn’t mind another left footer added as a half back or outside mid.
It’s one of the reasons I like NOD.
Left footed players are a nice point of difference sometimes

Yeah I know we just shouldn’t trade with the mob up the road, but I do like the look of Ginbey.

I’d happily do a swap for Erasmus, and probably throw in Brodie. Wouldn’t want to chuck any picks in though.

Or am I over valuing our two Peel players?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It is hard to make list space, with out using up cash. (Paying out contracts)
You can't just delist players who have a contract for next year.

Cutting all these players leaves us 7 spots. 1 for Bolton, so 6 on the draft. Assuming Reidy and Knobel both stay

Ethan Hughes
Tom Emmett
Josh Corbett - spot already used by voss.
Matt Taberner
Odin Jones
NoD (Hopefully not)
Sebit Kuek
Ethan Stanley

If you add Martin, it only leaves 5 for the draft.
If you assume Bolton is 10, and 25, then you need to use 9 and 15 in the draft.
If NoD gets us a late 2nd, early 3rd you want to use that as well.

Now you have two spots to play with. You need to make a call if you are better of getting Garcia or ...., or target mature age players through draft, or drafting a 18 year old with your last 2 spots.

If we keep one of people above, then we only have spare spot on our list.
Voss is on the rookie list tho. SSP signings don't go on main list i'm pretty sure

I'd be very surprised if freo take more than 3 picks to draft TBH

That was a horrible moment. Hard to forgive that from a senior player.
Yeah, agree.

But you'd also expect your forwards to be a kick ahead of contest for things like that.

Bad decision, bad positioning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite part of O'Meara's season was when he had a total of 8 touches in the last quarters across the last 4 games of the season.

I actually like that we tried him on a wing and rotated him through half forward and half back. Seemed like a great idea in theory.

I do not like that we kept him in the team after consistent poor performances.
Getting more grunt/options for that narrow side wing role is a major project someone should be taking on as a high priority.

Voss is on the rookie list tho. SSP signings don't go on main list i'm pretty sure

I'd be very surprised if freo take more than 3 picks to draft TBH

I really think this is the draft to take 4 or 5 picks in.

Listening to Chris25, and I am sure this is the right call to make.

Well his contract is part of the reason why we’ll lose NOD for nothing and improve a contender for free.

He’s not getting any better, where a younger player in the same role would be improving
This feels like when people blamed Banfield for Sturt having not re-signed (though he eventually did). Linking the 2 is jumping at shadows. JOM's contract isn't an obstacle financially, and it's difficult to suggest him being there is truly costing NOD a spot when NOD wasn't good enough at WAFL level until a purple patch that started like July this year (injuries obviously playing a role there). If Raz leaves I think you can plausibly link that to JOM, but NOD would be a stretch.

Reality is it makes perfect sense for us to have waited out on offering NOD a bigger deal. Before this WAFL finals series we're talking what a 5 game WAFL run and 1.25 AFL games? He's gonna play 3-4 games in this finals series lmao, that's almost as long as the run of WAFL games he was good for. Obviously we would wait to see what he does there to assess if this purple patch is a new normal. And now that it's increasingly looking like the latter, there's more justification to offer a better deal.

Not gonna guarantee he stays by any means, but much like people were jumping at shadows with Sturt especially, I think it's strange to overly panic when the very thing you'd expect to happen when a player has a purple patch at the end of a contract year and has 3-4 further high-pressure games to prove it's no fluke happens.

A lot of list management decisions over the last few years make way more sense if you pretend Fyfe didn't play almost all season this year.
Except the one where we also offered him a 2 year deal. I do wonder if there were triggers and they just didn't announce them out of respect for a club Legend.

I really think this is the draft to take 4 or 5 picks in.

Listening to Chris25, and I am sure this is the right call to make.
Ryan Daniels has said all along he thinks freo will only use 1 of its first rounders draft night
any picks after 30 you need to get lucky

last thing freo list needs is 5 new kids.

need star like Bolton & a couple of depth players

Still think 1 or 2 players will pop up for freo in trade week no one has heard yet

Except the one where we also offered him a 2 year deal. I do wonder if there were triggers and they just didn't announce them out of respect for a club Legend.

The AFL gave FFC and WC a heap of extra non cap money to sign veterans for media

The AFL gave FFC and WC a heap of extra non cap money to sign veterans for media
Wonder if they can chip in some of that sweet ambassador money for some new recruits ;)

Have heard freo are in for Riley Garcia

I don't understand the list spots issue. freo will find a way to make more if needed. still, plenty of players without contracts.

Tab's
Hughes
Emmett
Corbert
Knoble
NOD
all on primary list out of contract
Garcia looks like exactly what we need. His VFL stats are insane and his got some terrific speed. We can create 2 extra list spots if we delist Keuk and Stanley as we played with the maximum rookie spots in 2024. I think if we can get a pick back in the Bolton trade around pick 40 we should use that to get Garcia. We obviously need more quick and skillful players. Garcia shapes as a hidden gem who just needs more opportunity to thrive and he can play half back, half forward and onball,.

Last edited:
Ryan Daniels has said all along he thinks freo will only use 1 of its first rounders draft night

Couldn't agree more with this tbh.

Keep all our picks and I'd be happy to take five selections. That way there's only one pick beyond 35.

Taking say three picks beyond pick 35 is basically just reducing our level of depth for no reason. I still expect us to take one or two selections inside 35 - that, a late pick and whatever rookie spots we have available (either rookie draft or SSP - don't really care how it's done) is plenty.

NOD and Emmett are the sort of depth players you don't just replace with a draft pick for next season and expect the same results unless perhaps you're using very high selections or recruiting the very best mature agers in the country.

More than likely Bolton costs us 2 first round picks, and we only have one left.

Just because you hit the draft, does not mean you need to get 18 year olds.

I would back us to find a better player in a 2nd tier comp, than Martin and Garcia are. As I said above, you have a choice to make with your last few picks. You can either go Martin, Garcia, Richards (mature age at an AFL club), a mature agers in a 2nd tier comp, or an 18 year old.

But when we talk about list spot squeeze, this is what we are talking about.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back