• Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you feel about trading:

Pick #9 and #15 to Richmond for Bolton and #29
Pick #10 and #29 to Geelong for #19 and F1

I think you are better off taking 10, 25 and 29 in the draft.
I think trading out of two drafts in a row, is not a smart move.

Who plays as small forward for us next year? We need to make finals next year.

Add that Geelong get Smith, and more than likely finish top 4 again, and it makes it look worse.

I think you are better off taking 10, 25 and 29 in the draft.
I think trading out of two drafts in a row, is not a smart move.

Who plays as small forward for us next year? We need to make finals next year.

Add that Geelong get Smith, and more than likely finish top 4 again, and it makes it look worse.

We would still be taking a first round pick to the draft, and I don't think there's any crystal ball for what happens in future seasons. Would a small forward you like make it to the end of the first round?

Garcia look like exactly what we need. His VFL stats are insane and his got some terrific speed. We can create 2 extra list spots if we delist Keuk and Stanley as we played with the maximum rookie spots in 2024. I think if we can get a pick back in the Bolton trade around pick 40 we should use that to get Garcia. We obviously need more quick and skillful players. Garcia shapes as a hidden gem whojust need more opportunity to thrive and he can play half back, half forward and onball,.
Agree when he has played for dogs he has done well. I think he’d be handy get for list.

Agree when he has played for dogs he has done well. I think he’d be handy get for list.

I'm not sure where he fits tbh, probably too small to be an inside mid which is where he's been playing his best footy in the VFL and don't think he has enough goal sense to be forward. Haven't seen any of his half back work which could be interesting.

More than likely Bolton costs us 2 first round picks, and we only have one left.

Just because you hit the draft, does not mean you need to get 18 year olds.

I would back us to find a better player in a 2nd tier comp, than Martin and Garcia are. As I said above, you have a choice to make with your last few picks. You can either go Martin, Garcia, Richards (mature age at an AFL club), a mature agers in a 2nd tier comp, or an 18 year old.

But when we talk about list spot squeeze, this is what we are talking about.
Garcia is a good player at level. Dogs team hard to get into & who knows what bevo is thinking.
A fit Martin is a good cheap get.

But that’s a big IF

We would still be taking a first round pick to the draft, and I don't think there's any crystal ball for what happens in future seasons. Would a small forward you like make it to the end of the first round?

I don't think Berry makes it that far. (More than likely 13 to 18 range)

It is more the issue of pushing the picks to next year, when I think we need to improve next year. Plus it being a strong draft his year.

Garcia is a good player at level. Dogs team hard to get into & who knows what bevo is thinking.
A fit Martin is a good cheap get.

But that’s a big IF

A lot of VFL players look good, and then can't take the step up.
Especially small 2nd tier players.

I have two big issues with Martin, 1 being injuries which are getting worse every year.
2 being forward pressure. If we play 3 talls, plus Sturt which is likely, our small need to bring a lot of forward pressure.
If you add Bolton, and a half competent small forward and I don't think Martin is best 22. I would prefer to use the list space on a 2nd tier play.

I'm not sure where he fits tbh, probably too small to be an inside mid which is where he's been playing his best footy in the VFL and don't think he has enough goal sense to be forward. Haven't seen any of his half back work which could be interesting.

Agree with this.

I don't think Berry makes it that far. (More than likely 13 to 18 range)

It is more the issue of pushing the picks to next year, when I think we need to improve next year. Plus it being a strong draft his year.

The picks next year would facilitate buying Chad Warner

NOds spent a lot of time injured & the clubs been very patient in working with him in rehab. He’s been paid without playing a heap of footy.
You’d like to think that if we’re offering a reasonable contract & he’s not being offered some ridiculous amount & length he will repay it back by staying.
If he’s using each game with Peel to prove his worth, then good on him & I hope he tears it up to get what he deserves.
Don't agree with the premise that anyone who has work related injuries owes anything at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much rather:
#9 and #15 for Bolton
#10 on Joe Berry
Martin for free or maybe a low cost trade like a Garcia.

Still leaves us with 2025 and 2026 first rounders for Chad, plus potentially 2027 depending on rule changes. I don't care who you are, two first rounders gets it done for any out of contract player.

I think pick 10 gets us Berry and would love he and Bolton to join. If the club rated another player around the Geelong 19 (quite possible given the draft depth), then no problem.

if Chad wants to come home, his manager knows this is the best year to facilitate it. WC will be trawling the bottom for years with no priority picks or decent coach and Tassie taking the cream. And we have three great picks which Richmond now have their eye on which we probably won't next year. And Sydney will get more now than probably in future (bird in teh hand...). So if it were me, I'd be suggesting now is the time after their GF win.

Don't agree with the premise that anyone who has work related injuries owes anything at all
Fringe AFL players might make good money for their age, but if they don't end up playing over 100 plus games they often are in a worse spot career wise. They put everything else on hold for footy and badly timed injuries can ruin everything.

You can't begrudge a kid moving for more years, money or game time. They have such short careers and really need to make the most of the opportunities that present themselves.

I have two big issues with Martin, 1 being injuries which are getting worse every year.
2 being forward pressure. If we play 3 talls, plus Sturt which is likely, our small need to bring a lot of forward pressure.
If you add Bolton, and a half competent small forward and I don't think Martin is best 22. I would prefer to use the list space on a 2nd tier play.

Agree with this.
If Martin somehow gets fit he's best 22
Garcia has pace something freo lack

if Chad wants to come home, his manager knows this is the best year to facilitate it. WC will be trawling the bottom for years with no priority picks or decent coach and Tassie taking the cream. And we have three great picks which Richmond now have their eye on which we probably won't next year. And Sydney will get more now than probably in future (bird in teh hand...). So if it were me, I'd be suggesting now is the time after their GF win.
Not really. He's out of contract next year, so he can move next year with less hesitation and resistance.

Not sure why people seem to think it's gonna happen this season. 0 chance

Agree with this.
It depends on the opportunity when they get the AFL call up to play. Sometimes they are put in a position that's not suited.
Mannagh for example did not set the world on fire to begin this season playing rounds 1-2, didn't return until Round 17! In a position and usage that suited his abilities.
Garcia I know has been given limited opp. I mean look at what Bevo does to players like Macrae and Daniel. No wonder Dunkley wanted out.

Garcia has pace something freo lack

What role does Garcia play in the AFL?

What role did he play at the bulldogs, and why did he struggle?
Does he play the same role in the VFL?

From what I can see, he is small inside mid with out elite skills and that player rarely works at the next level.

I think our best 22 is pretty strong, except for 2 areas. I think we should be targeting plays to fill these holes on our list.

1. Outside mid, with pace and elite skills
2. Small forward, good pressure, kicks goals.

Not really. He's out of contract next year, so he can move next year with less hesitation and resistance.

Not sure why people seem to think it's gonna happen this season. 0 chance
Because Sydney get more for him this year. If they know he's likely to go next year despite them trying to keep him they are better served trading him while contracted. Having said that, Sydney always back themselves in to keep a player so that's the reason I'd be saying it's not happening this year.

It depends on the opportunity when they get the AFL call up to play. Sometimes they are put in a position that's not suited.
Mannagh for example did not set the world on fire to begin this season playing rounds 1-2, didn't return until Round 17! In a position and usage that suited his abilities.
Garcia I know has been given limited opp. I mean look at what Bevo does to players like Macrae and Daniel. No wonder Dunkley wanted out.

Agree, and having a role in the team that suits him.

Mannagh kicked lots of goals in the VFL, and often played forward in the VFL and when given a chance in the AFL to play the same role went well.

I think Garcia is playing as a centre square mid in the VFL, but won't get the same role in the AFL. I don't think he is as good in other roles.

If the club feels he will have impact in the AFL than Winder, Matt Johnson (Frankston) and he fills a need then I am all for it.

I just don't think he does.

Last edited:
I'd like it if we grabbed Garcia, can TACKLE and has SPEED. He can go up the ground as well, ready to go.
He doesn't kick goals though. Emmett kicks more than he does so i don't really see the need to bring him in.

He seems like another one of those players we have heaps of without X factor. I'd rather pick a kid who doesn't need game time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back