Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who does he push out of the best 22?
What role does he play?
How many games is he fit for?

To me, he plays as a fourth tall.
He would be challenging Freddy and Sturt for a spot, and I think he is behind both.
I doubt he is fit for 10 games next year, this year he played 3 afl games, and got injured in 2.

Most importantly, he does not fix our small forward issue.

Not saying he is not good, just not the right player for us.
If a fit Martin isn't making B22 then we are top 4 next year, we can find room for him

If we are still keen on Warner I think we should tell Pickett this is his only chance to request a trade to Freo. If he wants to stay in Melbourne, I say we get Bolton with two of our current picks and draft Berry with the remaining pick. That sorts out our forwardline and leaves the future picks for Warner next season. The only downside is that our defensive pressure doesn't improve, but hopefully that is offset by our increased scoring potential.

Last edited:
Owies is small forward and doesn’t provide much pressure.

He’s far from the worst small forward in the league but our forward pressure is fast becoming the main reason I’m concerned our list can’t win a flag. Every finals game I watch it’s becoming more apparent you can’t be as bad as we are in the forward half without the ball and expect to be one of the top sides.

Small forward doesn’t necessarily equal pressure - Owies is just such a poor fit for us.

Didn’t they basically give us Jye Amiss for nothing?

The trade for Cerra was highway robbery for Carlton at the time. I’m still mad at that one and it is one of the reasons (amongst many) I dislike Carlton so much.

We drafted well with that selection but we should’ve got more for Cerra.

If we are still keen on Warner I think we should tell Pickett this is his only chance to request a trade to Freo. If he wants to stay in Melbourne I say we get Bolton with two of our current picks and draft Berry with the remaining pick. That sorts out our forwardline and leaves the future picks for Warner next season. Only downside is our defensive pressure doesn't improve but hopefully that is offset by our increased scoring potential.
I keep hearing posters saying we should just draft Berry like It's a given if we want him.

Berry is projected to go top 10. What are the chances we can draft him with our pick? Small forwards often go sooner than projected, too. That is a gamble.

I keep hearing posters saying we should just draft Berry like It's a given if we want him.

Berry is projected to go top 10. What are the chances we can draft him with our pick? Small forwards often go sooner than projected, too. That is a gamble.
Berry won't go top ten, look at the class in the projected top ten. I am almost certain he will drop. Keep pick 9 and that almost guarantees landing him. What teams below us need him?

Berry won't go top ten, look at the class in the projected top ten. I am almost certain he will drop. Keep pick 9 and that almost guarantees landing him. What teams below us need him?
He has been on the rise based on recent form. From Fox Sport in August;
Now in top-10 calculations after a brilliant, eye-catching carnival for Vic Country where he was one of the most dangerous players. He was a threat across all four games, finishing with nine goals and averaging 13.2 disposals and 5.5 score involvements. Berry is your typical high forward as he possesses top-end speed that allows him to get up the ground, as well as excellent creativity close to goal. Berry is a natural crumber, getting to the right spots to show off his cleanliness at ground level and innate goal sense. He’s kicked 25 goals for the Bushrangers this season — the most of any active Coates Talent League player — while also averaging 14.7 disposals and 4.1 inside 50s. He just looks like an AFL player.

The trade for Cerra was highway robbery for Carlton at the time. I’m still mad at that one and it is one of the reasons (amongst many) I dislike Carlton so much.

It was perfectly fair. Pick 6 and 35. He was good but he was nothing special. Maybe the second pick could’ve been in the 20s instead but that’s what happens when players are ooc.

If we had pick 6 in the year we traded for Jackson he would’ve gone for around the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find this Martin debate very interesting, he’s not a small forward but as a medium forward he’s better than both Banfield and Emmett, so there’s definitely room for him in the starting 22 if he can stay fit.

No one should have Banfield or Emmett in their best 22 anyway. Don’t kid yourself.

Where do you think Berry will likely go?

Seems like a player we need.
He has been on the rise based on recent form. From Fox Sport in August;
Now in top-10 calculations after a brilliant, eye-catching carnival for Vic Country where he was one of the most dangerous players. He was a threat across all four games, finishing with nine goals and averaging 13.2 disposals and 5.5 score involvements. Berry is your typical high forward as he possesses top-end speed that allows him to get up the ground, as well as excellent creativity close to goal. Berry is a natural crumber, getting to the right spots to show off his cleanliness at ground level and innate goal sense. He’s kicked 25 goals for the Bushrangers this season — the most of any active Coates Talent League player — while also averaging 14.7 disposals and 4.1 inside 50s. He just looks like an AFL player.

This is only my opinion but take a look at the current ladder:
8. ESSENDON
7. ST KILDA
6. GOLD COAST
5. MELBOURNE
4. ADELAIDE
3. WEST COAST
2. NORTH MELBOURNE
1. RICHMOND

Realistically, there is zero chance of a team using a top five pick on Berry when there are much more exciting prospects ahead of him.

Gold Coast is going to draft Lombard, St Kilda are a potential threat but have much more urgent list needs and Essendon will draft Kako. I'm like 90% confident if we want Berry we will land him.

Because there are so many talented players, the real risk (or opportunity) will be trying to resist picking up a player that slides in the draft. If Lindsay is available I don't know if I could refuse him. He is going to be a star.

Last edited:
This is only my opinion but take a look at the current ladder:
8. ESSENDON
7. ST KILDA
6. GOLD COAST
5. MELBOURNE
4. ADELAIDE
3. WEST COAST
2. NORTH MELBOURNE
1. RICHMOND

Realistically, there is zero chance of a team using a top five pick on Berry when there are much more exciting prospects ahead of him.

Gold Coast is going to draft Lombard, St Kilda are a potential threat but have much more urgent list needs and Essendon will draft Kako. I'm like 90% confident if we want Berry we will land him.

Because there are so many talented players, the real risk (or opportunity) will be trying to resist picking up a player that slides in the draft. If Lindsay is available I don't know if I could refuse him. He is going to be a star.
As much as I d love for us to draft Berry,yeah if Lindsay’s there id prefer we grab him and take a chance on some of the other smalls later in the draft- hannerford, dattoli,newton or Bradley all have their pluses.
Or even mid fwd /3rd tall types hynes and Davis

he’s better than both Banfield and Emmett, so there’s definitely room for him in the starting 22
Neither of those 2 were in our last starting 22. It's a pretty low bar. If he's good over head, can kick a goal or two and is a one touch player, he probably replaces Frederick. He doesn't seem to be a high tackler but if he could do that it would be great. Just can't really comment on how his body would hold up because no one knows.
I hope we've exhausted all other options before drafting him though.

The few times I remember seeing Martin at Carlton, and I would concede it wasn't recently, but I thought he was the only one in their forward 50m who did apply some pressure do the 1%ers...but they had a different set up to most teams with McKay and Curnow and sometimes a 3rd tall in De Koning or Silvagni back a year or so ago.

As much as I d love for us to draft Berry,yeah if Lindsay’s there id prefer we grab him and take a chance on some of the other smalls later in the draft- hannerford, dattoli,newton or Bradley all have their pluses.
Or even mid fwd /3rd tall types hynes and Davis

Not sure we need to draft Berry if we get Bolton.

Would rather a mobile player who could play multiple positions well.

Not sure we need to draft Berry if we get Bolton.

Would rather a mobile player who could play multiple positions well.
We don't have enough ground ball players and are too reliant on clean football. We have the players to dominate clearance and contested marks, now we need the small forwards to crumb and create chaos. Bolton and Bery is a very dynamic and lethal duo.

Neither of those 2 were in our last starting 22. It's a pretty low bar. If he's good over head, can kick a goal or two and is a one touch player, he probably replaces Frederick. He doesn't seem to be a high tackler but if he could do that it would be great. Just can't really comment on how his body would hold up because no one knows.
I hope we've exhausted all other options before drafting him though.
From our round 24 team he’d be in over Voss and Walters. Or Freddie who had a pretty average year imo. A fit Martin is a very solid upgrade on any of them.

Bolton would replace anyone but likely Johnson, fyfe, or O’meara would be first out.

From our round 24 team he’d be in over Voss and Walters. Or Freddie who had a pretty average year imo. A fit Martin is a very solid upgrade on any of them.

Bolton would replace anyone but likely Johnson, fyfe, or O’meara would be first out.
I haven't seen enough of Martin to really comment outside of his highlights and stats. But after 10 years, you have an average so that's probably what we're going to get.

Now? Nah looks like we got the win. He’s in dreadful form.
Amiss is a generational full forward
Allowed Fremantle develop Young, who in his first full season in midfield is already better than Cerra.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back