List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 9 & 10

• 9, 10 & 17

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Even Walters to rookie list would be preferred than losing Knobel because of list spots.
We have an extra list spot available after delisting Keuk as we played with the maximum number of rookies last season. We can gain another list position by delisting either Jones or Stanley for the same reason. Jones was apparently signed to a 1 year rookie deal for some reason/.

Idk if this is true generically, but I'd fairly confidently say that this doesn't apply to us. Tall, slow-ish inside mid with iffy skills who has transitioned into being a valuable utility. Isn't that pretty much champagne Banfield? I'd be more interested if he offered more defensively, and while I don't think he's a liability there (he did a couple decent jobs on Fyfe in the past), I don't think he's the answer either.

Especially with Kennedy apparently wanting more midfield time + us having already brought in experienced mids in the past to shunt Raz's and Johnson's inside midfield time, I just don't think he answers as many questions for this team compared to Baker (or even ANB if he was available to us, which he obviously isn't).
I think I'm a bit alone in really wanting to find a "support mid" as much as anything. We can make arguments it should be Johnson, Erasmus or Noddy and I'd understand that but I think our midfield is in danger of looking insane on paper but not working in reality. Adding Bolton and possibly (likely???) Warner sounds incredible but every elite midfield almost ever has had the guy to do what the stars dont want to (or shouldnt be).

Could also argue that's Brayshaw but I just dont think that's best use of his talents. Kennedy therefore is ready to go and would be amazing in that role and if that means not giving opportunities to Johnson or Ras then so be it. Trade one or both of them out and make it work.

Kennedy is also a chance to actually get a player for unders to play in a specific role to actually get value from a trade - the kind of thing we just dont enough IMO. Now, none of this matters because he's not coming here but I think it's an interesting discussion point regardless and at the very least, in any Baker trade, I'm pointing to what Kennedy and ANB go for and arguing there is no chance Baker is then worth a top 20 pick

We have an extra list spot available after delisting Keuk as we played with the maximum number of rookies last season. We can gain another list position by delisting either Jones or Stanley for the same reason. Jones was apparently signed to a 1 year rookie deal for some reason/.
The point is, there are options. and delisting Knobel because of limited list spots shouldn't be one of them.

I think I'm a bit alone in really wanting to find a "support mid" as much as anything. We can make arguments it should be Johnson, Erasmus or Noddy and I'd understand that but I think our midfield is in danger of looking insane on paper but not working in reality. Adding Bolton and possibly (likely???) Warner sounds incredible but every elite midfield almost ever has had the guy to do what the stars dont want to (or shouldnt be).

Could also argue that's Brayshaw but I just dont think that's best use of his talents. Kennedy therefore is ready to go and would be amazing in that role and if that means not giving opportunities to Johnson or Ras then so be it. Trade one or both of them out and make it work.

Kennedy is also a chance to actually get a player for unders to play in a specific role to actually get value from a trade - the kind of thing we just dont enough IMO. Now, none of this matters because he's not coming here but I think it's an interesting discussion point regardless and at the very least, in any Baker trade, I'm pointing to what Kennedy and ANB go for and arguing there is no chance Baker is then worth a top 20 pick
I think you're right, but Kennedy is not that player. He wants to be in the primary on ball rotation. Any support mid we traded in would still have play near to half their time in another position because Caleb, Andy and Hayden would be in front of them 70% of the time and there is at least two other players in the side who will be competing for the remaining rotations. At the moment it's resolved by our fourth midfielder being on the bench a third of the time because he's old and broken, but that's not ideal to break out ross-speak.

It is more about balance than personnel. Caleb and Andy need big body support in there with them and a player with a more defensive mindset. Kennedy and Young would be that. I don't think we will be going down that track and I think Raz is about ready to go, so that is my preference. Besides, Fyfe is staying so that will be his role and maybe Raz takes over full time the following year.

I think you're right, but Kennedy is not that player. He wants to be in the primary on ball rotation. Any support mid we traded in would still have play near to half their time in another position because Caleb, Andy and Hayden would be in front of them 70% of the time and there is at least two other players in the side who will be competing for the remaining rotations. At the moment it's resolved by our fourth midfielder being on the bench a third of the time because he's old and broken, but that's not ideal to break out ross-speak.
So Baker should be perfect filling a role in there I suppose? For that matter, I'd almost go the opposite. I'd play the support mid full time on ball and have the stars rotate more through other positions. Young part time down back. Bolton up front (Warner as well but I'm really starting to tempt fate with how much I'm including in the team already...), Andy on the wing and flank.

And when he's the steak knives that get Melbourne to let Kozzie leave...?
I know you are joking but reading between the lines it sounds like the club has prioritised Warner over Kozzie for one reason or another. I think Warner will try behind the scenes to get it done this year based on pressure from his partner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the best outcome for 2026 is that this end of season Liam Reidy is poached by another club and we sign Knobel for two to three years immediately.

We will be vulnerable in 2025 but in a much better position thereafter.
Agree. If we need games out of a third ruck next year Reidy is a better option but it's probably only twelve months until Knobel is the guy we bring in instead.

If we keep Reidy and lose Knobel I fear we'll be having conversations around losing Reidy in twelve months anyway except they'll be no young ruck on our list to take over.

I know you are joking but reading between the lines it sounds like the club has prioritised Warner over Kozzie for one reason or another. I think Warner will try behind the scenes to get it done this year based on pressure from his partner.
They’ve been working on Warner all year. Met up with him several times. Then kozzie came out of nowhere so makes sense they prioritise him. Kozzie is cheaper and a much better fit though so wonder if we would have prioritised him if other circumstances were equal

I think the best outcome for 2026 is that this end of season Liam Reidy is poached by another club and we sign Knobel for two to three years immediately.

We will be vulnerable in 2025 but in a much better position thereafter.
And I mean really, if the worst result is 10 games next year Knobel has to share the ruck with Jackson, is it the end of the world? At least his support is Jackson, not some hack

On Knobel, sometimes you don't need to see a large "sample size" to know they have something about them to succeed at the highest level.
100%, just let me delete my Stanley comments real quick

Stanley is one who I think needs a lot of stacked training sessions to break out, he has been running into hurdles all year. He's someone I think who will either move immediately to another club if we cut him or only take a fit season before he's a mid season draftee for someone else.

So Baker should be perfect filling a role in there I suppose? For that matter, I'd almost go the opposite. I'd play the support mid full time on ball and have the stars rotate more through other positions. Young part time down back. Bolton up front (Warner as well but I'm really starting to tempt fate with how much I'm including in the team already...), Andy on the wing and flank.
Yeah but there comes a point where its diminishing returns, the better the player the longer it takes to get there. I.E. a 4th defensive mid that's nearly as good as the first three as a complete mid in their own right you're not losing to much. Whereas a Kennedy is clearly not as good. It'd be a net negative imv.
I don't think we should trade any inside mids in unless they are good enough to command a position in a 4 man primary rotation that forces our other players who can play on ball into only pinch hitting amounts in the square. I think a lot of our thinking will be influenced by what we think Johnsons ceiling is (I'm regarding Ras coming through as just a bonus now)

Yeah but there comes a point where its diminishing returns, the better the player the longer it takes to get there. I.E. a 4th defensive mid that's nearly as good as the first three as a complete mid in their own right you're not losing to much. Whereas a Kennedy is clearly not as good. It'd be a net negative imv.
I don't think we should trade any inside mids in unless they are good enough to command a position in a 4 man primary rotation that forces our other players who can play on ball into only pinch hitting amounts in the square. I think a lot of our thinking will be influenced by what we think Johnsons ceiling is (I'm regarding Ras coming through as just a bonus now)
I will say that Ras's Peel finals have me excited he could and should be that guy. I wasn't as down on him as freo_leo29 but I was / am close to writing him off as well. Some of his ball handling and hand passes have been fantastic and WAFL finals are like half a tier below AFL standard which is encouraging. If he can just add a few kilos to the shoulders still, he should be able to be that guy.

While I rate Johnson as a player, I'm not sure he has the attitude / disposition to play the role. We really need one of them to do it though.

Voss honeymoon over... Kennedy/Owies/Martin/Young

I didn't realise Young was on the block, he'd be good depth for us. Don't think he's a bad KP utility at all.

Unrelated. Cooper Simpson? What's going on?

Last 4 WAFL games he's done very little. Just end of first year tired? sore? I was very hopeful on him, but can't be getting 6 touches in WAFL matches.
Been a long season. He’s still young and raw.
Needs a proper pre season

Brown is too good to be playing VFL I think. Nice moneyball option there for someone. Giants are stuffed with small and medium forward options.

On a separate note Reidy is getting some attention from multiple clubs over east looking for mature ruck backup. Probably a third round pick if he was traded I reckon.
Be stupid to even considering trading him given the knee concerns with Darcy.
An arthroscopy is still nasty and can limit his pre season.

Need any depth the club can get.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back