List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 43 46.2%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chapman
Sharp Young <>
<> Treacy Sturt
Jackson Amiss Bolton

Darcy Brayshaw Serong

I: Switowski, <>, <>, <>, <>

I think 17 spots are almost locked in.

Potential ins: Baker, <Draft Picks>

O'Driscoll, Frederick, Wagner, Erasmus, Johnson

Add Fyfe, Worner, Walters, Banfield, Draper, Davies, Voss, Simpson etc

Baker is an upgrade on O'Driscoll, Freddy and Wagner and can play all 3 positions. I would start him on the inside wing, but the flexibility would help a lot.

I strongly feel we need one more crumbing forward in the forward line, if we draft Berry or Hannaford, they would be in my best 22 straight away. I would love both of them.

In reality, we have 3 or 4 injuries most weeks, and if we have serious depth then it would not hurt to rest a few players during the year.

Either way you look at it, the team is starting to look really strong. We just need some small forwards providing pressure and kicking goals, so we are not so heavily dependent on the key forwards doing all the scoring.
In no way would I preference Baker on the wing for any duration. Sharp's doing fine so far as the athletic runner fat side wing. The skinny wing needs more subtlety/smarts and, if possible, braun/size. I could see Baker filling in at a pinch, but I reckon he plays his best when he's full-on in everything.

I would much rather develop/bring in someone who has some gears...and positions themselves well and has a good height to use. They've been developing Chapman a bit for that role, but he's had injury interruptions. Hopefully this preseason will have him primed to start taking that bull by the horns.

I would also love for O'Driscoll to get more inside mid time and be a consistent part of those centre rotations. He offers a potentially huge injection of dynamism to the mids at strategic times.

The answer is probably Wagner, however he’s not even starting 18, he’s our 7th defender.
This has been my problem with Baker the whole time, he’s a good player but I don’t see where he fits (or who he pushes out). If players progress how we’d like them to, by round 24 next year this should be our B23:

Walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chapman
Sharp Young O’Driscoll
Frederick Treacy Sturt
Jackson Amiss Bolton

Darcy Brayshaw Serong

I: Johnson, Erasmus, Switowski, Wagner.

How much is Baker moving the needle replacing anyone in that line up?

I have the same doubts. My team would be exactly the same.

Richmond fans say his best position is HBF. Wagner the obvious one. Move him to sub. But for a first and 600k, is that good value? We have Aish as backup and his stats are actually comparable with Baker.

He is currently "better" than Walker, Chapman, Sharp, NOD, Freddy, Sturt, Jonshon, Erasmus. But many of those could overtake him soon, plus they all bring size and (except Erasmus) speed that Baker does not have.

I think his best value for us would be a Miers role as a forward who pushes up and sets up a lot of scores. That would mean Freddy is the one in the gun. Or you move Freddy to wing (but not convinced he can play there) and then shuffle Sharp/Noddy/Erasmus. One of them moves to sub. Ras not suited to sub though.

Some fans acting like Baker is a Colin Sylvia type pick up. Criminal under rating of a genuine excellent player.

Bolton and Baker arguably 2 of Richmond’s top 5 most valued players.

Bolton fits a massive need.

Baker a massive Aish type player upgrade. Hard at it and will suit our style. Provides large flexibility. This can only be good.

Anyway, we all have opinions, but some of you are carrying on like we’re wining and dining a fringe player.

The answer is probably Wagner, however he’s not even starting 18, he’s our 7th defender.
This has been my problem with Baker the whole time, he’s a good player but I don’t see where he fits (or who he pushes out). If players progress how we’d like them to, by round 24 next year this should be our B23:

Walker Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Chapman
Sharp Young O’Driscoll
Frederick Treacy Sturt
Jackson Amiss Bolton

Darcy Brayshaw Serong

I: Johnson, Erasmus, Switowski, Wagner.

How much is Baker moving the needle replacing anyone in that line up?
Realistically how many times a season does a team have a best 23 available?

I doubt there is many games where you field more than 19/20 of your best line up.

It's a bit more difficult once we start thinking about positions and team fit but I reckon Baker would be a top 10 player on our list if we get him.

Realistically how many times a season does a team have a best 23 available?

I doubt there is many games where you field more than 19/20 of your best line up.

It's a bit more difficult once we start thinking about positions and team fit but I reckon Baker would be a top 10 player on our list if we get him.

Certainly one of the earlier selections for a small or medium.

Serong, Brayshaw, Young…. then who?

Some fans acting like Baker is a Colin Sylvia type pick up. Criminal under rating of a genuine excellent player.

Baker a massive Aish type player upgrade. Hard at it and will suit our style. Provides large flexibility. This can only be good.

Anyway, we all have opinions, but some of you are carrying on like we’re wining and dining a fringe player.
Aish isn’t best 22 anymore.

In no way would I preference Baker on the wing for any duration. Sharp's doing fine so far as the athletic runner fat side wing. The skinny wing needs more subtlety/smarts and, if possible, braun/size. I could see Baker filling in at a pinch, but I reckon he plays his best when he's full-on in everything.

I would much rather develop/bring in someone who has some gears...and positions themselves well and has a good height to use. They've been developing Chapman a bit for that role, but he's had injury interruptions. Hopefully this preseason will have him primed to start taking that bull by the horns.

I would also love for O'Driscoll to get more inside mid time and be a consistent part of those centre rotations. He offers a potentially huge injection of dynamism to the mids at strategic times.
I have a feeling we are going to see Banfield on the wing unfortunately...

It’s about our needs and Baker skill set.

Baker is better than Sharp but Sharp is a better flat side winger.

Aish isn’t best 22 anymore.

Yes, I meant as a ‘Mr fix it’ type role that Baker would enable us to cover, if needed.

Baker would still have best 22 position in our side. Just depends where Freo see him as best fit.

We’re not luring a fringe player AND even if that’s people’s opinion we have shown that we do lack depth and we will have Fyfe, Walters, JOM and Aish probably phased out over next 2 years.

Baker is a no brainer to me anyway.

His management team has dropped the ball on this.

Baker is a top player, West Coast is rebuilding, and Fremantle doesn't need him.

Both clubs would like to have him but won't pay the salary he wants and trade the assets Richmond want.

He and his management team stuffed this up and wanted a massive retirement fund.
Now, they are in two minds as both clubs won't pay up.

Baker should have stayed in Victoria and another club would have pay him the amount he wanted.
I'll play along to this nuffie game, seeing as you and a couple of heroes don't seem to understand commonsense.

First bold point - yes we do, hence why we've been chasing him all season. Clean, one touch players that can play multiple positions to a high standard, while also being a proven leader in premiership teams.

Second bold point - you've completely made that up with zero evidence to back that up. You've foolishly assumed it's all about money. It's not, he simply wants to come home. The trade assets Richmond want doesn't have much relevance, given he is out of contract.

Third bold point - explain this logic to me? Player wants to come home, player has both clubs very interested and will receive a good contract wherever he goes. They didn't "stuff this up" at all. Just more make believe bs. You keep beating this stupid narrative that he's coming home purely for money. Will you say the same bs for Chad and Kozzie?

Fourth bold point - Yet again, you assume it's about money. Yet again you're wrong. Players are allowed to want to return home without it being for financial gain.

Here are Bakers last 4 B&F finishes:

2020, flag year - 6th
2021 - 2nd
2022, finals year - 4th
2023 - 6th

It's very easy to see why we want Baker, despite your best efforts of talking him down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly one of the earlier selections for a small or medium.

Serong, Brayshaw, Young…. then who?

You can't lump mediums in with smalls. You need size across the field, so players that Baker is individually superior to would be selected ahead/separately.

You have to limit it to smalls. Serong, Brayshaw, Switta, Bolton all get chosen ahead of him.

Then you're down to Wagner and Freddy.
Wagner is an obvious one, but our backline is good enough and finishing/scoring is the area in most need of improving.

Freddy has more speed and height. Maybe you sacrifice that. View it as Bolton for Freddy, and Baker for Walters.

But then you have to weigh up how much Baker impacts our ability to add Pickett/Warner. Baker won't come cheap and our salary cap needs all the help it can get to fit the big guns in.

Get Walters to 250 games as a tactical sub, he’s earned it. Fyfe still has something left in the tank. Never been a fan of JOM. Hopefully he gets dropped from the leadership group and team.
Please God, no. Walters is best when he has time to work his way into the game (or we're well on top and there's plenty of ball coming forward).

At this stage he's effective with greater opportunities to work into a game and ratio into those magical moments and sync into the forward team. Often the sub is at it's most effective (especially if the games in the balance or we're behind) when they bring in high energy and power instantly. Which isn't really his go.

Yes, I meant as a ‘Mr fix it’ type role that Baker would enable us to cover, if needed.

Baker would still have best 22 position in our side. Just depends where Freo see him as best fit.

We’re not luring a fringe player AND even if that’s people’s opinion we have shown that we do lack depth and we will have Fyfe, Walters, JOM and Aish probably phased out over next 2 years.

Baker is a no brainer to me anyway.
Best trade value is upgrade your weakest area.

Baker is great for structure for sure. Covers all three zones.

Is baker good for money?

Midfield we have a long list of players not being a game. Erasmus, Brodie and Aish.

Forward line we have Bolton coming in pushing Banfield out of the best 22. Simpson could take the next step plus we have access to top 30 draft talent. That 30 talent is the strongest in years.

Backline we have Aish, and Draper. Sure. If Baker comes pushing out Wagner.

Therefore, only improves our backline.

I'll play along to this nuffie game, seeing as you and a couple of heroes don't seem to understand commonsense.

First bold point - yes we do, hence why we've been chasing him all season. Clean, one touch players that can play multiple positions to a high standard, while also being a proven leader in premiership teams.

Second bold point - you've completely made that up with zero evidence to back that up. You've foolishly assumed it's all about money. It's not, he simply wants to come home. The trade assets Richmond want doesn't have much relevance, given he is out of contract.

Third bold point - explain this logic to me? Player wants to come home, player has both clubs very interested and will receive a good contract wherever he goes. They didn't "stuff this up" at all. Just more make believe bs. You keep beating this stupid narrative that he's coming home purely for money. Will you say the same bs for Chad and Kozzie?

Fourth bold point - Yet again, you assume it's about money. Yet again you're wrong. Players are allowed to want to return home without it being for financial gain.

2020, flag year - 6th
2021 - 2nd
2022, finals year - 4th
2023 - 6th

It's very easy to see why we want Baker, despite your best efforts of talking him down.
Baker's form has dropped a fair way off this year. That has to be a factor to be considered, whatever you might put it down to. Especially if he's hesitant between such a stark choice as us vs the WC.

Kicking the tyres isn't a bad thing. You want to come to a good understanding of how much you're prepared to pay. I see no value in trying to shut that down.

I have a feeling we are going to see Banfield on the wing unfortunately...
Hungry Stephen Curry GIF by First We Feast

Brayshaw and Serong even had dinner with Josh Corbett when he was deciding where to go. You pull every string you can to land a player you want.. There is no pecking order. Love that these guys help sell the vision/culture
With all this wining and dining they are doing Brayshaw and Serong are going to have to double the 100 x 100's this Christmas.

Feel like baker wants freo but is better off with West coast.. honestly don't think i can name once when his changed a game and won richmond a game off his own boot. Isn't worth a first rounder. We only just got a future first out of Collingwood for Schultz and schultz is ten times better then baker.
Need to land players with more experience, so many times this year we lacked experience when walters or fyfe is out and once one of them is on the bench we then rely on omeara. Who I couldn't see opening a packet of chips the right way leather lone guiding freo to a victory.
Would rather brayshaw resigned before throwing money at baker.
Get Darcy's body right and focus on who's taking walters and fyfes spots after next year unless they plan on having a blinder n some how getting another year added.

2020, flag year - 6th
2021 - 2nd
2022, finals year - 4th
2023 - 6th

Those B&F finishes can be misleading. I've gone through the years when Richmond had a good side, and they had a lot of players miss large chunks of games. He was finishing ahead of guys like Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin, Prestia, Lynch, etc. Durability is indeed an admirable quality. But really he was around the 12th-14th mark for best players.

And he would be the same here. I've listed many players above that he is better than individually. People are not disputing that. But for team balance there are only a couple of people he can replace. And the question is whether that is worth the cost in salary and draft capital. Bringing in a 600k player is awkward when we are stacking the top end and have limited funds (compared with other sides) for the rest.

2020, flag year - 6th
2021 - 2nd
2022, finals year - 4th
2023 - 6th

Look I made the same argument about

2020, flag year - 6th
2021 - 2nd
2022, finals year - 4th
2023 - 6th

What is Fremantle lacking?

Is Player retention and recruitment not important?

Is recruiting players with the same skill set a good idea?

Doesn’t cost in terms of salary cap and draft capital come into?

I never questioned Bakers ability.

Another sport, Melbourne Tigers in the NBL had 6 quality bigs ie 210-2014cm. What happen? They missed the playoffs.

I made the same argument about Neale coming back. Neale is a great player but we had Fyfe, Brayshaw, and Serong. That move might have stopped Young going into the middle.

The number issue is we don’t kick enough goals. Bakers score assist, goals and score involvements are not elite.

You can argue with me, no issue there. Calling me names isn’t a good argument.

These rankings are league wide.

2024:
Baker and Bolton considered forwards
14th and 16th ranked score involvement non tall forward players in the league this year.

2023:
Bolton, considered forward is 4th.
Baker, defender, was ranked 2nd for defenders score involvements. Would have been +20% on our best defender this year.

2022:
Bolton, forward is 1st
Baker, defender, 2nd. Would have ranked second for our FORWARDS this year.

These two make good decisions with the ball and create scores.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back