List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Baker would be fantastic in the backline IMO and give it a bit more competitiveness which it's needs. The only reason we shouldn't get Baker is if his salary then rules out better players.

Last edited:

Those B&F finishes can be misleading. I've gone through the years when Richmond had a good side, and they had a lot of players miss large chunks of games. He was finishing ahead of guys like Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin, Prestia, Lynch, etc. Durability is indeed an admirable quality. But really he was around the 12th-14th mark for best players.

And he would be the same here. I've listed many players above that he is better than individually. People are not disputing that. But for team balance there are only a couple of people he can replace. And the question is whether that is worth the cost in salary and draft capital. Bringing in a 600k player is awkward when we are stacking the top end and have limited funds (compared with other sides) for the rest.
Think you're hugely overrating our list

Look I made the same argument about

What is Fremantle lacking?

Is Player retention and recruitment not important?

Is recruiting players with the same skill set a good idea?

Doesn’t cost in terms of salary cap and draft capital come into?

I never questioned Bakers ability.

Another sport, Melbourne Tigers in the NBL had 6 quality bigs ie 210-2014cm. What happen? They missed the playoffs.

I made the same argument about Neale coming back. Neale is a great player but we had Fyfe, Brayshaw, and Serong. That move might have stopped Young going into the middle.

The number issue is we don’t kick enough goals. Bakers score assist, goals and score involvements are not elite.

You can argue with me, no issue there. Calling me names isn’t a good argument.
These rankings are league wide.

2024:
Baker and Bolton considered forwards
14th and 16th ranked score involvement non tall forward players in the league this year.

2023:
Bolton, considered forward is 4th.
Baker, defender, was ranked 2nd for defenders score involvements. Would have been +20% on our best defender this year.

2022:
Bolton, forward is 1st
Baker, defender, 2nd. Would have ranked second for our FORWARDS this year.

These two make good decisions with the ball and create scores.
You sure about that?

So assuming NOd and Sharp play on the wings, Chapman stays back forcing Drapes to play at Peel and Fyfe and Raz wax a midfielder position off and on, who do you drop for Baker?

Dont say Walters as Ive already got Bolton in his position.
Dont say O’Meara, Aish, Emmett or Banners as I already dont have them best 22.

Who are we dropping in the forward line out of J,J,J, Sturt, Freddy, Shai or Switta??
Or are we suggesting he plays back for Wagner or Walker??
I dont get why we would reach for him.
Who exactly are you going to drop?
Good post. IMHO Baker has played his best footy as a small defender, so I assume it's Walker or Wagner who make way.

He's had some good games as a mid, but also some poor ones (and some diabolically poor ones). A bit hit-and-miss.

I'd be pretty annoyed if we ditch a 1st rounder in this draft, just so we can drop someone like Johnson, Sharp or NOD back to the 2s.

He's not a forward in the sense that you set-and-forget, so that's a bit problematic given our current predicament.

edit - I'm not joking when I say this could be the best draft cohort I've seen. Be very careful trading out picks this year - very high chance it will come back to bite....hard.

Last edited:
You can't lump mediums in with smalls. You need size across the field, so players that Baker is individually superior to would be selected ahead/separately.

You have to limit it to smalls. Serong, Brayshaw, Switta, Bolton all get chosen ahead of him.

Then you're down to Wagner and Freddy.
Wagner is an obvious one, but our backline is good enough and finishing/scoring is the area in most need of improving.

Freddy has more speed and height. Maybe you sacrifice that. View it as Bolton for Freddy, and Baker for Walters.

But then you have to weigh up how much Baker impacts our ability to add Pickett/Warner. Baker won't come cheap and our salary cap needs all the help it can get to fit the big guns in.

Well I am lumping him in with the mediums as it’s a collective group. I’m not saying Baker replaces Sturt as a medium tall.

Baker would instantly become our greatest magnet swapping player. He instantly provides mongrel and a bit of getting under the skin of the opposition (we clearly lack this). He’s clean, great decision maker, will switch angles.

Anyway, I’ll leave the Baker discussions. I don’t think he’s coming to us and if people don’t view his worth that’s their opinion.

Well I am lumping him in with the mediums as it’s a collective group. I’m not saying Baker replaces Sturt as a medium tall.

Baker would instantly become our greatest magnet swapping player. He instantly provides mongrel and a bit of getting under the skin of the opposition (we clearly lack this). He’s clean, great decision maker, will switch angles.

Anyway, I’ll leave the Baker discussions. I don’t think he’s coming to us and if people don’t view his worth that’s their opinion.
I'm keen on Baker, but I'd be quite surprised if he isn't wearing Blue and Gold next season unfortunately

My belief is that Bolton will make things happen himself, can win games by himself, meanwhile Baker is the sort to turn the good work of his team mates into scoring opportunities - so players like Cox marking the ball and kicking it nearly sideways to Baker will make those marks more valuable and we will see guys like Pearce, Ryan, Cox intercept marking becoming a score launch as opposed to the game of tennis is can be now.

We definitely want Bolton, we should enjoy having Baker.

Maybe.

4th youngest list and best 22 is young.

Best players with more growth and mostly 26 and under.

Out of the 10 losses we lead at the end of the 3rd Quarter 5 times. Darcy only played in 3 losses.

Out of 5 losses where we lead at three quarter into 2 wins we would be too 5. If one of those wins were against either Port and Cats we are top 4.

We fixed our composure and mindset in the last quarter we are challenging for a flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe.

4th youngest list and best 22 is young.

Best players with more growth and mostly 26 and under.

Out of the 10 losses we lead at the end of the 3rd Quarter 5 times. Darcy only played in 3 losses.

Out of 5 losses where we lead at three quarter into 2 wins we would be too 5. If one of those wins were against either Port and Cats we are top 4.

We fixed our composure and mindset in the last quarter we are challenging for a flag

Maybe getting in someone that has a heap of finals experience and is known for his clean one touch play would help?

No, I am not. You are not properly comprehending what I said. I literally said he was in the 12th-14th bracket on our list. Meaning there's around 10 players in our best team and 30+ players on our list who I have said he is better than. But it's not that simple, because due to his tiny size there is a limited selection from the best team who he can actually replace to maintain team balance.

Why does it require two of our guns to meet and have coffee with him in order to "convince" him Freo is where it's at, he's Liam bloody Baker not Kozzy Pickett or Chad Warner for heavens sake.
Both sides are trying to figure out if it’s a good fit. It makes perfect sense for us to do this, and it should be seen as a positive that any respective players wants to understand what they’re potentially moving into.

You’re allowing personal bias against someone to interfere with logic.

Some fans acting like Baker is a Colin Sylvia type pick up. Criminal under rating of a genuine excellent player.

Bolton and Baker arguably 2 of Richmond’s top 5 most valued players.

Bolton fits a massive need.

Baker a massive Aish type player upgrade. Hard at it and will suit our style. Provides large flexibility. This can only be good.

Anyway, we all have opinions, but some of you are carrying on like we’re wining and dining a fringe player.
He’s not a fringe player. He’s a meat and three veg genuine footballer and a particularly campaignery one. That’s good. You need those types who would skin their nan for a win.

But you don’t pay haute cuisine prices for meat and three veg.

I’d like to have him, but I don’t want to overpay or **** our cap for a textbook West Coast supporter.

Just Corned having another Rant Sighhhh

He went quiet when they did play together and we went well.
Then he just unloads constantly at a time when there’s nothing we can currently do. He really is a knob. Personally, I hate ‘negative’ media posts, but I accept that’s just life.

To continue to make a point when players are injured or it’s an off season just smacks of someone with a massive ego who has to prove he’s right.

Time will tell. He may be right, but he’s a deadset flog and one day he’s going to cause someone to have health issues and I hope he gets taken to the cleaners.

He’s actually just a nasty person.

I think Baker would be great for us, he makes other players better because he does the hard stuff and makes good decisions. He also has mongrel, something we are sorely lacking.
I think being "the mongrel" also had him making very bad decisions. Saw that several times in the space of a few minutes when we were well and truly in the process of taking the game away from them this year.

He went quiet when they did play together and we went well.
Then he just unloads constantly at a time when there’s nothing we can currently do. He really is a knob. Personally, I hate ‘negative’ media posts, but I accept that’s just life.

To continue to make a point when players are injured or it’s an off season just smacks of someone with a massive ego who has to prove he’s right.

Time will tell. He may be right, but he’s a deadset flog and one day he’s going to cause someone to have health issues and I hope he gets taken to the cleaners.

He’s actually just a nasty person.
He basically gets rewarded for taking highly black and white opinions (not the only one, but probably one of the most extreme in mainstream medialand). This means he leans heavily into simplistic ideas and consequentially basically crap and rigid analysis...more and more fitness as a cure for injuries is one of his overly simplified hobby horses.

It also means he has to cherry pick to prove he's right all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back